Aradace Smith Book 1 (Original Book) [WIP]

xlArisenRoselx

So, I showed this to a friend, and he told me it should be in this forum. I don't know the rules here, I just had to post it here because he wants to see how it would do here. Anyway, here it is:

[spoiler=Aradace Smith Book 1]

Aradace Smith

By Kyumi H. Niusuki

A Sci-Fi Novel

(Pronounced: Air-ah-dess)

Two people sat in expensive looking chairs, one elder, one adolescent. The room was dark, with a little lamp acting as the only source of light for the spacious room. After a long silence, the younger one spoke.

“Do you think he’s ready?”

“Possibly,” came the elder’s reply.

“Possibly?”

“Yes. We don’t want to force this onto him. If he decides for the wrong reason, it could affect everything this world knows.”

With that, the two figures got up, shook hands, and took to their own ways. One disappeared into the night, while the other took the form of an owl and flew out of the open window.

-------------------------------------------------Chapter 1-----------------------------------------------------------

Aradace remembered it like it was yesterday. Or maybe a week ago. Either way he remembered it. He recalled that fateful night when their house went up in flames. It was a miracle he had survived. His parents, Justin and Kiera, weren’t so lucky. Aradace would never forget the words the doctors told him the next morning.

“Aradace, I’m sorry to say, but, your parents are going to die in approximately 24 hours. I’m so sorry.”

He had been 4 at the time. The good news was that this meant that he would be living with his grandparents. The only problem with that was, it was really cold there. Aradace hated the cold. At first, he was sure he couldn’t live like that; no mother, no father or even a means of warmth. But, despite all of this, he grew up to be a nice young man.

Our story begins 12 years later. At age 16. This particular morning happens to be the last day of school.

“Bye guys!” Aradace shouted, as he was rushing out the door to school.

“Have fun at your last day of school!” His grandma shouted back.

With that, he raced back to school. Usually he would have stopped at his friend Draven Blackthorn’s house, but Aradace knew he took the bus this morning.

“I’ll meet him at school,” he thought aloud.

On the way there, he stopped at McDonald’s for a breakfast burrito. Breakfast at school was always terrible, and plus, he worked there temporarily. This was much better than the “sausage” biscuit they give you at school! While he was there, he said his greetings to his friend Sequoia Farley who works there with him. Even though she is in college while he is in high school, they got along fine and were great friends.

After he was finished with the burrito, he took off to school again. No not ran. He actually Took off!! He was off the ground! But it was more like hovering above the ground. How does this make sense? He asked himself. People can’t fly! He looked around. No electro-magnetic fields in sight, if they existed. How? He asked again. Then he turned his head and saw two giant, membranous wings connected to his back. WHAT?!?! Now he was thoroughly confused.

The wings took him all the way to school, then shrank back into his skin before anyone could see. Aradace wasn’t exactly sure what just happened. That makes no sense! He exclaimed in his head. He decided he would just blame it on him running as fast as he was. I must have hallucinated them due to my fatigue. After bringing himself to this conclusion, he went inside. Draven was waiting for him at his locker.

“I was starting to think you weren’t coming” he said with a smirk. Aradace knew this wasn’t true, considering he had not missed a single day of school this year. He was going for best attendance.

“Ha ha. Very funny, Dray. You stood there the whole time?”

“Of course not. I flew to and from Australia first. What do you think?”

That was Dray for you. Always giving the most sarcastic response to the simplest of questions. Aradace decided he would play back.

“Oh. That explains the boomerang in your back pocket.”

Draven took a moment to look backward where the supposed tool would be. It wasn’t there. Aradace couldn’t help but laugh.

“Yeah, very funny Ara. Don’t you have a class to attend?”

This was correct. Aradace put his unnecessary things in his own locker, then headed to class with Draven. The halls were a bright bleached-white color from the floor to the walls. Very unnatural-looking. Every time Aradace walked through these hallways, he felt dizzy.

After a little bit of walking, they reached their homeroom. Everyone was already there. That is everyone, excluding Chronis Timepacer, who never seemed to have a sense of time. She was usually late. The room itself was decorated with all sorts of educational posters to try to cover up the same bleached color. It was on all the rooms in the school. I’m glad today’s the last day, Aradace said to himself, no more unnatural colors for the summer.

Draven and Aradace took to their seats. Then, they counted down from three.

“Three”

“Two”

“One”

Just then, Chronis bursts through the door, her eyes aflutter, her books spilling onto the floor. This was a little game the two boys played together. They were always correct on the right time of her arrival.

“I’m sorry Mrs. Marshal. I had misplaced my bookbag yesterday and couldn’t find it anywhere”

“Well that’s quite alright Chronis. I just hope you will be better with time next year.” Mrs. Marshal replied, “Now take your seat.”

“Yes Ma’am”

Today was the last day of school, so there would be nothing but games and movies at every one of his classes. But Aradace didn’t enjoy himself today. He couldn’t stop wondering what was with those wings. What were they? Why were they there? Why today? How did any of it make sense? There were so many questions, but no answers. He wondered all the way till the last bell rang. That’s when Draven asked, “Hey, why are you in a funk today?”

Aradace realized how weird he had been acting today. He didn’t even finish all of his lunch. But he couldn’t tell Draven what was bothering him; he wouldn’t believe it.

“Uh, no reason.”

“No reason? Come on! I know you better than that. What’s the matter?”

“Uh…” Aradace said trying to think of an answer, “I just can’t believe school’s actually over”

“Well, get used to it ‘cuz from now on, it’s gonna be video game central for us! Come on, I’ll race you back to your house.”

Aradace thought this over for a minute then replied, “Nah, I’ll meet you there. I wanna get one last look at the school.”

“You know, I never truly understood you Ara” Draven said before dashing toward their neighborhood.

Yes, he bought it! Aradace was afraid he would pick up on the fact that he didn’t usually like school. He didn’t like lying to his closest friend, but he needed some time alone to try to make more sense of these wings. Besides, it was only half a lie. He really did stop for a final glance at the school.

On his way back from school, he decided he was going to say hi to Sequoia. I think she might have a longer shift today. He was almost to McDonald’s, when someone tackled him from the side. He was going to scream for help, when a hand covered his mouth.

“Shut your face” said the mysterious attacker.

Aradace tried again to scream, but all that came out was a gargled squeal. Not loud enough to raise attention.

“Your comin’ with me”

------------------------------------------------Chapter 2-------------------------------------------------------

Aradace found himself lying in the grass with the attacker. This strange person was dressed in a white hoodie, gray sneakers, and white jeans with gray stripes. The hood was pulled over his face, so he couldn’t make out who it was. They were in the grass to the right of the sidewalk, low enough that no one could see them.

When the attacker finally took his arm off of Aradace’s mouth, he spoke,

“Why?”

This was puzzling to say the least. This guy assaults him then asks him why? Aradace didn’t understand the attacker’s motives. All he could say was,

“Why what?”

“You know what,” the attacker said, “The wings.”

Oh no! Somebody had seen them! Granted, it was only one guy, but he seems to know what he is talking about.

“I thought I had hallucinated them. I was wrong then?”

“Dead. Which is why you have to explain to me why you decided to activate your powers in the presence of the Norms.”

“Norms? What are you talking about? I---”

Just then, Aradace’s phone rang, alerting a text.

**Hey Ara. W8ing 4 u. Stop looking @ the skool and git over here!**

It was from Draven. The attacker picked up the phone and read it for a moment, then said,

“That explains everything.”

At that moment the attacker got up and introduced himself as Orion Heart. He apologized for the way he acted toward a “Possible Student,” and also insisted that he walked with Aradace back to his house.

When they arrived, his grandparents were not there; they were at work. They’ll be there till 5:00. Perfect. This meant that he could talk to this Orion guy without interruptions or questions. But, just as they were walking up to the door, Draven jumped out from behind the the house.

“Boo!” He screamed.

Aradace jumped, but Orion didn’t move an inch. Draven then noticed Orion for the first time.

“Oh. Sorry Orion. I hope you don’t think of this as unprofessional”

“No. That’s quite alright. But you can tell me what you were thinking using your power to hide in darkness just now, other than startling us with it.”

“Oops. Sorry…”

“You will be”

At this moment, Aradace was completely confused. “What is going ON!!”

“Ah yes, forgive me for ignoring my host. Now without further ado, let’s proceed inside so I may tell you everything you need to know.”

With that, the three of them went inside and sat on the couch. Aradace, being a good host, offered something for them to drink. They accepted, then they began conversing.

“So, Aradace was it?”

“Yes sir”

“Alright. Aradace as you know, you are different from other people. Not just in the way this world tells you how you are ‘Special’. I mean actually different. You yourself saw those wings on your back earlier this morning, did you not?”

“I did”

“Good. Now listen closely. I believe you are a Dragonborne. Your friend here is a Necrofear. You each have your own powers. Draven can turn into a shadow to blend in with the night, he can conjure up zombies and spirits, and can even talk to the dead. While you can grow those wings you had earlier from your back, can breathe fire, are incredibly strong, and also are immune to fire. Tell me Aradace, didn’t you think it was weird that you’re the only survivor from the fire that killed your parents?”

“Well yes, but I thought it was just sheer luck”

“Well you thought wrong. Your powers saved you from the fire. Just like today, your powers assisted you in arriving at school. The sudden appearance of these powers is not unusual either. One’s powers usually start to show themselves at age 16. Tell me Aradace, how long ago did you turn 16?”

“2 weeks ago. Why?”

“That’s what I thought. You recently turned 16, so your powers would naturally start showing themselves. But I will tell you something Aradace. There is a way to learn more about your powers. We have a school you can go to so you can study what other Dragonbornes have discovered, and maybe discover something on your own.”

“I go there during the Summer, Ara. I discovered that Necrofears can talk to the dead.” Draven finally spoke during this whole conversation.

“Yes, and you are a great student too. This is why you were given the task of seeking out other, ‘gifted’ people. This is why Draven was trying to be your best friend Aradace. Because someday, you would meet me, and we could recruit you into our school.”

“And because I actually do think you’re a good friend.”

“Which reminds me. Draven, have you found any others that might be ‘gifted’?”

“Oh right! I think Chronis Timepacer might be a Clockjumper. And Sequoia Farley is already with us so, that about sums it up”

“I see. Sorry Aradace, I must go. If you have any questions about anything, I trust your friend Draven can answer them?”

“Yes sir” Draven replied confidently.

“Right. See you later Aradace. I hope you will join our school. But if not, try to keep your powers hidden. If they are seen by a Norm, you can be fined a hefty fee because you have been warned now.”

With that, Orion left the building, leaving Draven and Aradace to sit on the couches in the living room.

---------------------------------------------------Chapter 3-------------------------------------------------------

“Yes! That was your last life!” Aradace screamed as his grandparents walked in the door.

“Whatever dude. You’re better at this game anyway. Now if we’re playing Halo, that’s a whole different story.”

Aradace’s grandparents said hi to the two of them and went into the kitchen to put the groceries away. As his grandparents walked out of earshot, Aradace asked his friend a question.

“Can I tell them about the You-know-what?”

“Sure you can.” came Draven’s reply, “If you want Orion to come back here with that hefty fee he talked about.”

Aradace just grumbled in frustration. What was he supposed to do about this? He could join the school, but what would his grandparents think if he suddenly disappeared for a while? And another thing, was there even another option? It was go to the school and learn how to deal with your powers or stay here and most likely have another outbreak, then be fined a fee.

“Do I have any choice?” Aradace asked his friend.

“Of course you do. You just have to be careful what you choose.”

Thanks a lot… Even so, he felt like he knew what he was supposed to do. He had to know more about these “powers” and this is the only place that he had ever heard of that can help him. Granted, he just found out about his powers today.

“I’m gonna join” he said in a hushed whisper.

“Really? That’s awesome dude. Now we can be in the same class together year-round.”

“Alright now, don’t get overly excited. Besides, isn’t this a good thing?”

“Oh sure. You need to master your powers if your gonna save the- I mean, erm, be with Norms” Draven quickly caught himself.

“Wait what was that? You were gonna say something else. What was it?”

Just then, Grandma April joined them in the living room. “What are you two going on about?” She asked in a curious tone of voice.

“Nothing!” The two boys sounded in perfect unison.

“Oh, I understand if you don’t wanna tell me. You're probably talking about cute girls in class, and that usually wouldn’t be something you share with a Grandparent, as it would be embarrassing, right?”

“No Grandma! That’s not what we’re doing at all. Here Dray, we’ll go into my room and play.”

With that, the two teenagers walked upstairs to Aradace’s room, A.K.A. place where they could talk in private. They shut the door behind them and took seats in different places in the room. The room was different from the rest of the house. Very different. This room was covered in video game posters, comic books, a TV with an Xbox 360, a Wii and a PS4 hooked up, and the main color theme was a burning red. The rest of the house had an old pioneer days feel to it and the main color theme was a light brown.

“So, what were you saying down there? ‘Save the’ what? I don’t understand.”

“I’d rather not say, Ara. Besides, there are other questions that need answered, right?”

“Well yeah, but I wanna know what you were gonna say”

“Look. If you really wanna know that bad, I’ll tell you at a later date. For now, let’s just get the other questions out of the way”

There he was getting bossy. Aradace hated it when he got bossy. “Fine,” he started, “what’s the name of this school?”

“Oh that’s easy. It’s Gaviard Institute. But we call it Gaviard.”

Gaviard… Sounds a little weird. Then again, it is a school for people with weird powers.

“Alright. What are Norms.”

“Haven’t you used that brain of yours to figure out Norms mean normal people?”

“Oh.”

“Oh indeed. Next question.”

“Erm. How do we get these weird powers?”

“Nobody really knows for sure. You’re just born with them. Any other questions Ara?”

“Not really.”

“Good. Cause I want to play Halo now.”

With that, Draven got up, and pressed the power button on the Xbox 360. “Now we’ll see who is the true gaming beast!”

*****************

Later that night, after Draven left, Aradace was thinking about what he would need to do. So, I need to join their school. If I don’t, I’ll most likely never be able to control my powers. But how do I just leave to this school, then explain that to grandma and grandpa? If what Draven said is true, then I can’t. So then I would have to just leave. But then what would they think? Also, what was Draven talking about earlier? “Save the” what?

With this, he decided to sleep on it. Who knew, maybe he would have answers in the morning.

Archived