Downbeat (EXFO)

DJgajhVUMAAuNtc.jpg?ssl=1

EXFO-JP063 ダウンビート Downbeat
Normal Spell Card
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1): Tribute 1 face-up monster you control; Special Summon from your Deck, 1 monster with the same Type and Attribute as that monster in the GY, but 1 Level lower than the original Level that monster in the GY.

Seems a bit late for this card, I was hoping for this for a while, but it's nice to finally have a reverse version of Transmodify. Now to actually figure out where to use it. Hmmmm.

I find funny that someone posted pretty much a reverse Transmodify in CC a while ago, except that its version is an OPT effect in a Field Spell and gives +1000 ATK to the Summoned monster.

Anyway, this card could be funny in Hieratics, since they float by Tribute and by running Level7 and 6 vanilla Dragons you can search the Level 6 and 5 Hieratics, respectively. Goukis could have some fun with it, too.

Also, as I pointed out in that thread, it can be used to search floodgate monsters, like Banisher of Radiance in Level4 Fairy decks.

Honestly they should just combine this card with Transmodify so that you can summon 1 above or 1 below. Because both cards seem rather inflexible right now, any any deck that could run Transmodify could also run Downbeat and vice versa. But who wants to play both since you don't get to choose which you draw? Seems terrible imo

Honestly they should just combine this card with Transmodify so that you can summon 1 above or 1 below. Because both cards seem rather inflexible right now, any any deck that could run Transmodify could also run Downbeat and vice versa. But who wants to play both since you don't get to choose which you draw? Seems terrible imo

Well, there are some Decks that would find it easier to bring out higher Level monster rather than a lower Level one, Cyber Dragon for example could take advantage of this, by giving you an easier Level 4 option.

bateryman OTK now comes easier. normal 9V, search charger/fuel cell, downbeat into AAA, IRS, SS fuel cell(s), raigeki/SC (can do this before or after the fuel cell summon), GGs.

honestly, you don't even need the raigeki, this can also net you a field clear through battle, and a possible link 3-4&R3/6 to end on.

Amazing! You can tribute Mixeroid to summon Terrortop!!! :P

I think Magnet Warriors might be able to use it. You can Tribute a Level 4 EARTH Rock (so a level 4 Magnet Warrior or something like Revival Golem) to get to the Level 3 Magnet Warriors or Block Golem, and you can tribute a Level 3 to summon Doki Doki or even Haniwa/Pot the Trick. It seems more useful than Transmodify in that deck.

It's probably better than Transmodify due to requiring fewer deck concessions.

Could you please elaborate on how this requires fewer deck concessions than Transmodify? What is a deck concession and how do they apply here? Just asking because I don't quite understand what you're saying and I would like to.

Could you please elaborate on how this requires fewer deck concessions than Transmodify? What is a deck concession and how do they apply here? Just asking because I don't quite understand what you're saying and I would like to.

I think what he means is that your common deck is more likely to have lower-level monsters of matching type/attributes that it wants to pull from the deck and put on the field to extend combos than it is monsters of higher levels that are beneficial to pull from the deck. While it's true that you will have a monster that's one level higher or lower either way, it's more likely that a monster of the lower level is going to have more benefits to reap pulling from the deck than the higher level monster, if that makes any sense.

I think what he means is that your common deck is more likely to have lower-level monsters of matching type/attributes that it wants to pull from the deck and put on the field to extend combos than it is monsters of higher levels that are beneficial to pull from the deck. While it's true that you will have a monster that's one level higher or lower either way, it's more likely that a monster of the lower level is going to have more benefits to reap pulling from the deck than the higher level monster, if that makes any sense.

I would've thought that (very generally) the opposite would be true, since higher level monsters tend to be harder to summon, so having the alternate way to go into them would be more beneficial.

But mostly I think it depends on the specific situation you need it for. Some decks may have archetypal (read: easily searchable) access to a monster that just so happens to be 1 Level lower than a decent engine card. An example of this (although not an example I encourage or condone) would be Transmodifying an ABC piece into Galaxy Soldier. In other situations it may be the same, but your easy access monster happens to be 1 Level higher instead. An example of this would be ....... Downbeating a Level Eater'd Doom Dozer into Kumungous for 3 more Level Eater summons and then Kaiju protection for your field?????? idk

Fun card! Special Summon CYBER DRAGON and Downbeat into DUZA, THE METEOR CUBIC VESSEL, dump CUBIC KARMA and activate CYBER REPAIR PLANT to search another DUZA, THE METEOR CUBIC VESSEL, Normal Summon it and dump another CUBIC KARMA then Overlay for GEAR GIGANT X use his effect to search ANOTHER ONE and you'll get mad Cubics in your hand to Special Summon CRIMSON NOVA, THE DARK CUBIC LORD to surprise your opponent with THAT CYBER CUBIC sheet.

how viable would this be in heiratics? they run a decnt amount of level 4,5, &6 monsters, and most of the 5 and 6's summon other monsters when tributed, so could this be a free 2/3link if used on something like tefnui, among other thingst? 

Functionally I'm pretty sure it just acts as another Hieratic in hand, with minor deckthinning advantages and somewhat more major unsearchability disadvantages

Compare:

Hieratic Teffy + Su = Su on field + 1 vanilla, 1 card removed from deck

Hieratic Teffy + Downbeat = 1 of your level 5 Hieratics + 1 vanilla, 2 cards removed from deck

And neither help your main problem of not opening Teffy or the Normal Summon level 5 in the first place.

Functionally I'm pretty sure it just acts as another Hieratic in hand, with minor deckthinning advantages and somewhat more major unsearchability disadvantages

Compare:

Hieratic Teffy + Su = Su on field + 1 vanilla, 1 card removed from deck

Hieratic Teffy + Downbeat = 1 of your level 5 Hieratics + 1 vanilla, 2 cards removed from deck

And neither help your main problem of not opening Teffy or the Normal Summon level 5 in the first place.

the main issue i think, might be that you'd need to have a level 6 on the field to actually use this card to the fullest (thus summoning a 2nd tefnuit from deck) which still takes some resources, but maybe if something like the galaxy soldier engine were mixed into it? i mean, it goes with the light typing, and dropping a level 6 or 8 vanilla to summon a soldier isn't all that much of a loss considering how easily you can get them back, and while you'd still need to use your normal summon (since using DB to the fullest would likely mean tributing that soldier for a level 6 heiratic), it'd be a nice way to get the ball rolling when you don't have that tefnuit to start on.

Archived