Cost Down is so last decade, Star-Shaper archtype (formerly Star-Alterer)

I Hate Snatch Steal

92MjJIj.png

You can only use the following effect of "Star-Shaper Elf" once per turn. You can reveal 1 "Star-Shaper" card from your hand or banish 1 from your graveyard; any further damage your opponent takes this turn is halved, also choose 1 non-fusion monster in your hand or extra deck. Keep it revealed while its there and reduce its level/rank by up to 3 (even after its summoned/set). An xyz monster affected by this effect can be xyz summoned by using the listed number of appropriate monsters whose levels are equal to its current rank as the xyz materials.

Rulings Notes (applies to the next 2 cards as well):

- You can reduce the same monster's level/rank multiple times this way

- If you reduce the level of a synchro monster, you synchro summon using its current level not its original level.

- an example of "An xyz monster affected by this effect can be xyz summoned by using the listed number of appropriate monsters whose levels are equal to its current rank as the xyz materials." would be summoning Heroic Campion Excalibur whose current rank is 3 with 2 level 3 Warrior-Type monsters.

MXBYgxf.png

If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Damage Step. Once per turn: you can reveal 1 "Star-Shaper" card from your hand or banish 1 from your graveyard; any further damage your opponent takes this turn is halved, also choose 1 non-fusion monster in your hand or extra deck. Keep it revealed while its there and reduce its level/rank by up to 2 (even after its summoned/set). An xyz monster affected by this effect can be xyz summoned by using the listed number of appropriate monsters whose levels are equal to its current rank as the xyz materials.

8GPuFQd.png

When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn this card cannot be destroyed. Once per turn: you can reveal 1 "Star-Shaper" card from your hand or banish 1 from your graveyard; any further damage your opponent takes this turn is halved, also choose 1 non-fusion monster in your hand or extra deck. Keep it revealed while its there and reduce its level/rank by up to 2 (even after its summoned/set). An xyz monster affected by this effect can be xyz summoned by using the listed number of appropriate monsters whose levels are equal to its current rank as the xyz materials.

WBPfwqU.png

If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can add 1 "Star-Shaper" card from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card form your graveyard; reveal 1 monster in your hand, and if you do, reduce the Levels of monsters in your hand with that name by 1 for the rest of this turn (even after they are Summoned/Set).

iZYhCPh.png

Shuffle 1 monster you control into the Main or Extra Deck; add 1 "Star-Shaper" monster from your Deck to your hand and if you do, draw 1 card.

General Design Notes:

These were inspired by an old archetype I made shortly before shooting star dragon was released. You can view that archetype here:

https://imgur.com/a/ZxMq1

The damage halving effect is to prevent these cards from becoming an OTK deck via combos such http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Phantom_Knights'_Rank-Up-Magic_Launch or Rank-Up-Magic Astral Force into Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon for example. You can still summon power hitters such as Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon, but it won't be enough to finish the duel in one turn.

Update notes 9/14:

- Added a ruling that I forgot to post: "You can reduce the same monster's level multiple times with the first 3 cards"

-I agree that star-shaper is a better name. I changed the cards accordingly.

-I realized from feedback that I had under balanced these.

- The card that was Star Alteration Impact in the initial release counted as a "Star-Alterer" card as they were called then only while in the hand to slow the deck down so you couldn't search and then reduce levels starting with only 1 card. I changed the name to "Star-Shaper Impact" and allowed it to shuffle into the extra deck as well.

- Removed Elf's draw effect. Initially I was unsure if I should have given Elf a 2nd effect since the others have one or to not since its reduction can go 1 star more.

- Lancer now has a level reduction effect to make it more synergistic. The effect follows the rulings of http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Performapal_Bit_Bite_Turtle

Star Shaper is a much better name. You could also make the archetype Star Shape so you can make a Star Shapen sub group for the monsters and aStar Shaped sub group for the Spells/Traps

When I first saw the name of the post I was thinking Risebell and Saambell archetype with all kinds of level manipulation, but tbh the cards you've made don't exactly do much of that.

Elf draws you a card.... when destroyed... for some reason. It has a really interesting Extra Deck level reduction effect that could be really cool, if the Deck had a Synchro/Xyz monster. I would probably use that image of Stardust Dragon you already have prepped as a Synchro monster. Or if you're crazy make it a Rank 7 Xyz that has to be reduced in level in order to be used.

Swordsman with another weird effect that doesn't really contribute to the interactivity within the archetype. You realize you can synergize the costs of cards with what the archetype does right? It has the same cool effect, but the fact it doesn't reduce the level by the same amount bothers me. I would really rather them all say "x" or "up to x" so that you can get some consistency out of potential Extra Deck monsters without making 5 -8 of them.

Gardna is a hand trap? I mean that was expected but whatever. Same stuff.

Lancer could do a LOT more, but it's instead weird and does nothing with levels or the archetype. I would at least have it do something with the level of a monster on the field, like "reduce the level of a monster you control by x to Special Summon this card"

NO TUNERS WTF

Star Alteration Impact is really bland, doing nothing with levels (seriously you could've had reduced levels as a cost this entire time and you didn't use that at all). It's just kinda... boring. You can search, but what and why are you searching? Especially sacrificing a monster on the field for deck thinning for essentially 1.

You could do a lot more with. Seriously. half of them should be Tuners, Extra Deck monster or 2 more (at least 1 Synchro and 1 Xyz), give the costs and individual card effects more to do with levels, like raising levels of monsters you control when certain conditions have been met, or reducing the levels as a cost. You could also have cards that increase/decrease the level of opponent's monsters to mess with Extra Deck Summoning (although with Link Format that might be nigh). 

Sorry, this was a little harsh. I really hate it when I see a good idea that wasn't implemented with the same thought in mind. 

i don't understand the need for the Damage Half + Level/Rank manipulation to have dual trigger if one of them is basically a trigger that always active regardless and the other having no benefit if not reasonable urgency whatsoever.

that being said the concept seems neat. need some wording organizing but other wise the idea is clear. but the archetype is on awkward position. being Level 4 and having the Level/Rank reduction at 2. so at best it can run Rank 6 as you can't reduce the Level/Rank of the same monster twice or more since it bound by the single reveal. and the Rank 6 option is not that great barring Dragulas. Level 10 synchro as the archetype Level 8 drop is questionable which if i not mistaken is either Xenophobic or have hard to bypasses requirement

i must agree albeit in lesser extent as the above poster in regard on maindeck monster level manipulation and addition of tuner. but i think it doesn't need that much Tuner. just 1 or 2 Tuner that real good

Elf: welp atleast she has that all-popped draw effect. not good enough but its not bad either

Swordsman: why Goblin Attack Force clause? seems unnecessary. since this card is still on fairly safe 2000 mark not 2300 & further

Gardna: too many effect that designed to save your skin from battle. while your opponent can still wreck-you-up otherwise with idk. non-battle effects and boardwipes which everbody have nowdays

Lancer: its a searcher but battle bound. which unless you some REALLY GOOD other card to back it up (archetypal ones preferably) is basically a worst kind searcher in this days

Impact: i think the name Star-Alter is already a nice name. although you must unify the names of this card unless you intentionally differentiate the naming for balancing purposes. and yes this is also me saying the "(treated as name)" clause is redundant. you can just give it the same treatment as Qli so its recognize Star-Alter and all posibble puns you can place on the cards naming or just change all of them into Star-Alter. otherwise is a decent valued card being able to search and draw in the same package

Archived