Flash Flyer - Sakura

X1TvHef.jpg

[spoiler=Alternate art if current one is too biased (which it likely is)]

73621b2c74eca4dec72b0d5b22c10389--top-po

Braviary the True Valor Eagle
Level 4 | WIND | Winged Beast | Xyz | Effect
2300/1500
2 Level 4 monsters
① Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card; destroy 1 monster your opponent controls, then they take 800 damage. ② Once per turn (Quick Effect), if another monster you control would be targeted by an opponent's card effect: You can have this card become the new target of that effect. ③ If this card with material is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 monster with 2000 or less ATK from your hand or GY.

(Because cardmaker sucks and I cannot link from my Wikia easily, use the written data for any grading. Picture is generally what it should look like; written data will be more updated.)

EDIT log:

- 9/18/2017: Modified detach effect to just blow up monsters.

====

[spoiler=Y no Link stuff (required notes, keep this closed if you don't want to read them)]

I do have Link-related cards but they're still WIP right now.

Be patient on those.

But other than that, was partially influenced from my Xyz game thread (and yes, Pokemon were the next thing that came up at the time). Basically Brave Bird and part of its dex entry.

I honestly wanted to make it burn for half damage, but then we have it outclassing Volcasaurus in terms of what it can do; out of fairness, I think it kind of is, given it can blow up S/T as well and still strike on the same turn.

Second effect is supposed to protect your larger bosses from getting blasted via common removal (i.e. Magibullet backrow is seeing more use, so have this take the bullet [pun not intended] instead of the larger bosses or something else more important at the time). Also does more in the long run than destruction protection (even if it would stop Decode from blowing you up).

Last effect at least lets you recycle either this card's mats (or possibly any Link 2s and lower you used earlier for stuff; might help since Proxy and such have side markers).

In Link format, I don't think that I need a hard OPT since:

(1) Requires materials on it to even do so, and needs to hit the Grave.

(2) Statline is ineligible for revival (though it's also there so you can't just revive a free Decode, etc.)

(3) what are the chances of actually doing it with only 1 EMZ open and/or getting Links out.

But I will add one if the need arises.

(Statline will not be modified; thematically, it's Braviary's Attack and Defense stats, times 100 for Yugioh purposes.)

====

IMG Credit: Myself

I'll be happy to give it out to those who want it. Was just using a US flag background and Braviary render itself; makes sense considering stuff.

Do not focus your review on the image.

====

Reps/likes will be given to members who give proper reviews under the Advanced Clause.

(Standard YCM / CC rules apply)

Braviary the True Valor Eagle

WIND - Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect - 2300 ATK/1500 DEF  You could probably get away with calling it a EARTH/Winged-Beast or a WIND/Beast since it's a Normal/Flying pokemon

2 Level 4 monsters

① Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it, then if it was a monster, your opponent takes 800 damage.

• I mean a buff on Diamond Dire Wolf is cool and all (and probably necessary with Link Format's arrival) but idk if this is the way to do it. If you were to make a removal card reminiscent of Braviary, I would suggest making it as if Braviary is using Sky Drop, with mechanics like some of the cards I made for Roid Chain Beat like RocketRoid and StealthRoid, where it would Banish itself and 1 card your opponent controls until your next Standby Phase.

② Once per turn (Quick Effect), if another monster you control would be targeted by an opponent's card effect: You can have this card become the new target of that effect.

• Idk how good this is, but it seems excessive with most generic Xyz monsters having usually 1 effect, or 2 effects that are involved or synergized with one another.

③ If this card with Xyz Materials is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 monster with 2000 or less ATK from your hand or GY.

• If you're doing the Sky Drop thing maybe you don't have to have this, but you could have a Xyz Material replenishing effect instead, rather having you discard a card or destroy a monster by battle.

Example w/ edits:

Braviary the Patriot

EARTH - Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect - 2200 ATK/1500 DEF  

2 Level 4 monsters

You can only use each effect of “Braviary the Patriot” once per turn, and only once that turn.

During the Main Phase, while this card has a Xyz Material (Quick Effect): You can banish this card and 1 face-up card your opponent controls. At the start of your next Standby Phase: Return this card to the field, and if you do, return your opponent’s banished card to the field.

② If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the GY: You can attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material.

I have the stats as they are for flavor reasons (even though yours isn't much weaker than it). Typing-wise, doesn't really fit as a Beast monster (even though Falsebound Kingdom classes birds and insects as Beasts for who knows why)

I would prefer not to go the PSYFrame-Lord Omega route since it is arguably more accessible than Omega nowadays afaik (and you probably have seen how people react to it), though would be an option if I chose the Sky Drop option. Also would like to make this worth a slot over other generics like Tornado Dragon, etc (er, I probably partially outclassed that one; even if Tornado is MST on legs while this can only hit during your turn).

Second effect is more of redirection; somewhat similar to what Secret Service is supposed to do for the president (well, at least take hits that would be reserved for larger monsters you need to keep out). Would need to check how it truly fares, but a lot of stuff does target nowadays so might work if you can spare a slot for this.

Replenishing effect could work though, but then it requires running multiple Xyz and we all know that the new rules aren't helping. (I have the standard tag up, so yeah)

====

Will need to look into it some more.

Running multiple Xyz? Wouldn't that be fine since having the Psy-Framelord esc effect can move it from the Extra Monster Zone to the Main Monster Zone?

Although tbf I don't quite understand what you mean. Why would you need to run several Xyz for the effect to work?

Was more in the context of redistributing this card's materials if it got destroyed (i.e. in a Pokemon sense [braviary can't learn Baton Pass iirc], transfer any boosts and stuff you got to another Xyz). 

The Omega thing would work though, yes (also frees up that EMZ slot without resorting to Links), but as I mentioned already, will need to think about it and see if I want to make it a Sky Drop thing, or just transfer it to another card.

First, not a big fan of the artwork personally. I don't think Konami would ever print a card with an artwork with country connotations, because, you know, respect for other countries and their symbols, so that makes it unrealistic already.

Then, kind of outclassing Dire Wolf with the first effect isn't cool because even to this day Dire Wolf has its relevant uses. I suggest to explore other effects. Perhaps make it only target monsters?

The second and third effects look fine to me.

Yeah Konami won't (not like Bandit Keith isn't already advertising America on his bandanna) even if Unova is based on NY. I can try to find an alternate artwork, but yeah (that, and Google sucks at finding ones I like that aren't on dA; prefer not to go there). 

(For other reviewers, just focus on the stats/effect. Reminder that artwork is not supposed to be a major factor in grading.)

As for the first effect, can just tone it down to monsters; granted, it'll turn into a R4 Volcasaurus but this one has set amounts; Volca burns for ATK. Then again, still need to make sure it warrants the EMZ slot, which again, does bring up the Sky Drop / Omega idea.

(It's quarter to midnight at the time of writing, so yeah.)

I see. I was a bit spoiled by STABmons because there they use this with Extreme Speed to destroy things, but Extreme Speed is not a move it can normally learn so I have little idea of what's the signature move of this Pokemon; I thought Sky Drop was Hawlucha's. Still, nothing that a bit of research cannot solve.

Archived