Fall Anime 2017

Dies Irae's first(zeroth) ep is out and well....you can try it but I doubt it'll make much sense to people who haven't read the VN? They adapted a prequel sidestory that was originally unlocked after reading through half the game. Also, terrible animation aside from the handsome stills of Reinhard, so at least they knew where to redirect their efforts to.

I never read the VN and I wasn't much invested in ep 0 after watching, so I might drop it tbph.

I finally got around to seeing the second episode of Kino's Journey and I honestly wasn't a fan. In the old adaption the Colosseum arc was covered over 2 episodes so this being done in one made everything feel so rushed. The fights, the exposition about the king being relegated to Hermes just bringing it up briefly in the room, it wasn't as interesting. The king wasn't even a character this time around. I don't actually know how it was handled in the books but I preferred the old adaption.

I'm loving The Ancient Magus' Bride so far, though, even if we've just seen introductory stuff. Everything's so pretty. Been waiting for this one to get its adaption.

EDIT: So since watching it I've learned a bit about the Kino's Journey episode, apparently this new adaption is closer to the LN. In the LN the king didn't have his weird puppet show exposition and we're not introduced to Shizu before the fight or anything so we don't know about his goals/relationship to the king beforehand. I saw a good explanation, where in the old adaption Kino is more like a hero to the lower class who defeated the mad king, but in the book/new adaption that stuff wasn't really introduced, so instead Kino is more of an avenger for people like the couple from the carriage she met on the road, as well as simply taking out anger at the country for forcing the fights. I'm not sure which version I like more, but these revelations and interesting new way of thinking makes me like this recent episode a lot more. Before I didn't have a frame of reference since I haven't read the LNs yet, so I was only comparing it to the old adaption, which isn't really fair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived