Grand Fire Emblem Tournament 3 [Nominations Closed]

LordCowCowCowCowCowCowCowCow

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of whatever you feel about the Jill thing don't know why you should be "pissed" about BK.

BK lost fair and square, I'm just "pissed" as in sad my guys got knocked out

I did end up reminding two people who had voted in the previous rounds to vote in this round, and they both voted against BK, which sunk him, but that's the fair and right thing to do

My problem with Jill is she was leading 90% of the time, then three people voted last minute and tied it up, then you pulled the tie by deleting your vote. In all fairness those two characters were basically equal. Don't like your no ties policy

It cheapens the tournament a bit imo

From what I've experienced in the YGT2, I can sympathize with Cow's apparent "no tie" policy. I'm not really sure if he has such a policy, but I'll go with what you're saying for the sake of the discussion. In any case, a tie in one round suggests a possible match between three contenders, which would only serve to divide votes up even further, which actually cheapens the tournament in a different way. If Cow deletes his vote, then it's still respecting everyone else's votes, and allows a more immediate victor rather than risk a three-way match. Basically, keep it entirely 1v1 throughout, rather than mostly 1v1 with an occasional 1v1v1 because.

From what I've experienced in the YGT2, I can sympathize with Cow's apparent "no tie" policy. I'm not really sure if he has such a policy, but I'll go with what you're saying for the sake of the discussion. In any case, a tie in one round suggests a possible match between three contenders, which would only serve to divide votes up even further, which actually cheapens the tournament in a different way. If Cow deletes his vote, then it's still respecting everyone else's votes, and allows a more immediate victor rather than risk a three-way match. Basically, keep it entirely 1v1 throughout, rather than mostly 1v1 with an occasional 1v1v1 because.

Should I be able to delete my vote every time there's a close race and I don't really care? Should others? Cause I could swing half a dozen ones that way if I wanted to

It just changes the dynamic of the contest in the last moment. I don't personally see a three way as cheapening the contest, if anything it'll test a character's popularity more

You're free to disagree, and it doesn't really matter, Cow is running the thing and Jill got ax'd

Should I be able to delete my vote every time there's a close race and I don't really care? Should others? Cause I could swing half a dozen ones that way if I wanted to

It just changes the dynamic of the contest in the last moment. I don't personally see a three way as cheapening the contest, if anything it'll test a character's popularity more

You're free to disagree, and it doesn't really matter, Cow is running the thing and Jill got ax'd

1. I did care, I really like both Jill and Nino. Both lost because of my decision.

2. Yes you can delete your vote any time, everyone can, this is a popularity poll most of all so if someone decides they don't care for the character as much they can delete it. In fact I would prefer someone to not vote if they didn't particularly care which goes on.

As for threeway matches, no, it doesn't test the popularity more. Say ten people like character A more than B and C but like character B more than C. Eleven people like character C more than A and B. And those eleven prefer A over B. And nine people like B more than A and C. But prefer A over C.

C would win despite that only one more person have C as their favorite than A and a whopping 19 prefer A over C.

In this scenario if it were a match between A and B, A would win 21-9.

A vs C, A would win 19-11.

And B vs C, B would win 19-11 as well.

Yet because it's a 3-way, C, the least popular overall, would win unless people chose their second favorite (which is silly to force someone to do plus it forces people to check frequently to see if their favorite is going to lose for sure so they can change last minute so that the less popular one doesn't go through)

3-way matches are usually bad for determining preference.

I don't want to have a big argument but I do want to say that I do think these things out.

1. I did care, I really like both Jill and Nino. Both lost because of my decision.

2. Yes you can delete your vote any time, everyone can, this is a popularity poll most of all so if someone decides they don't care for the character as much they can delete it. In fact I would prefer someone to not vote if they didn't particularly care which goes on.

As for threeway matches, no, it doesn't test the popularity more. Say ten people like character A more than B and C but like character B more than C. Eleven people like character C more than A and B. And those eleven prefer A over B. And nine people like B more than A and C. But prefer A over C.

C would win despite that only one more person have C as their favorite than A and a whopping 19 prefer A over C.

In this scenario if it were a match between A and B, A would win 21-9.

A vs C, A would win 19-11.

And B vs C, B would win 19-11 as well.

Yet because it's a 3-way, C, the least popular overall, would win unless people chose their second favorite (which is silly to force someone to do plus it forces people to check frequently to see if their favorite is going to lose for sure so they can change last minute so that the less popular one doesn't go through)

3-way matches are usually bad for determining preference.

I don't want to have a big argument but I do want to say that I do think these things out.

Life isn't binary choices cowcow. People tend to think methodically. Esp since this isn't blind and you can see the score before voting

In your example 11 people like c so that's a majority. The only way three ways fail is if you don't have a run off.

Your example creates a situation where you can combine a and B's numbers to overcome C, but isn't that what this tournament does too? You can vote for an option that you likely slightly more and have her lose in the next round when your second choice would not

Not looking to argue. I don't like it, but it's your tournament and you can do as you please.

Life isn't binary choices cowcow. People tend to think methodically. Esp since this isn't blind and you can see the score before voting

In your example 11 people like c so that's a majority. The only way three ways fail is if you don't have a run off.

...That...no. I am not sure you even really read it. It's a majority only because it's 3-way. It's not the most liked. It's the most disliked, in fact, but due to the fact they were put into a 3-way they slipped through despite the other two being more liked.

And again, what you're suggesting is that people hover over the poll and change their vote last minute (which you said you didn't like earlier) to make their second favorite win.

And even then given how the score would be 10-11-9, most people would not want to change their vote to make their second favorite win because it's so close. People would most likely hope for a couple last minute votes for their favorite. Especially if ties are allowed.

C only has the majority if you look at it in a robotic "just the numbers with no context" light.

...That...no. I am not sure you even really read it. It's a majority only because it's 3-way. It's not the most liked. It's the most disliked, in fact, but due to the fact they were put into a 3-way they slipped through despite the other two being more liked.

And again, what you're suggesting is that people hover over the poll and change their vote last minute (which you said you didn't like earlier) to make their second favorite win.

And even then given how the score would be 10-11-9, most people would not want to change their vote to make their second favorite win because it's so close. People would most likely hope for a couple last minute votes for their favorite. Especially if ties are allowed.

C only has the majority if you look at it in a robotic "just the numbers with no context" light.

I did mention a run-off did I not Cowcow in which case A or B would best C in the run-off

I do read you silly cow ;)

It's an extra round for you is all. C would eliminate A and B. Then A and C would play and A would

eliminate C if C is truely less popular than either. B would lost to A anyway.

In Jill's case I don't think it's as stark as you described and she likely would have won a runoff

Anyway I gotta say with the first wave of votes I love how the top eight are such close matches...and then there's L'Arachel.

Yeah, these are some pretty close matches, but L'Arachel seems like she's going to have a really easy win. I'm looking forward to the semifinals and the finals, because at this point I think I'll be happy regardless of who wins, although the only one I'm not really interested in is Sanaki.

[spoiler=Semi-Finals]Ephraim (Sacred Stones)

L'Arachel (Sacred Stones)

Lute (Sacred Stones)

Cynthia (Awakening)

Interesting. All the semi-finalists are from Sacred Stones...except Cynthia. Who, honestly, is not who I would have expected despite that they're my nomination.

I'll post the matches tomorrow night.

I'm on a similar position to Winter: I don't care about any of them that much. First, because I don't know well the Sacred Stones cast, then my favorite participants have all been taken down. I'm only rooting for Cynthia, but she isn't among my top favorite characters.

And so the finals are upon us! I will make the Polls after posting this because I don't have to randomize and I decided to just use the official art to make it faster.

The final match is between Ephraim and Cynthia

And the Bronze match is L'Arachel versus Lute.

Polls will be up shortly.

And so the finals are upon us! I will make the Polls after posting this because I don't have to randomize and I decided to just use the official art to make it faster.

The final match is between Ephraim and Cynthia

And the Bronze match is L'Arachel versus Lute.

Polls will be up shortly.

can we extend how long the polls stay up for the finals?

Bronze goes to...L'Arachel!

Silver goes to...Ephraim!

And Gold goes to...CYNTHIA!

Honestly a surprising result but I can't be upset, Cynthia is adorable and precious. It was a crazy tournament all throughout, lots of close matches, lots of surprises (Seriously am I the only one who didn't think Cormag would do so well?)

...But

It's not

over

yet!

ONE MORE POLL
Those who were attentive last year will know what it is.

AND IT WILL BE UP SOON

Archived