Alkimia archetype, inspired by Sabatiel the Philosopher's Stone

I Hate Snatch Steal

The name is based on the Medieval Latin word for Alchemy

[spoiler=ace monsters]

I'm aware of what these artworks resemble: the idea was giving great power to others so the artworks fit that.

kKOGaS1.png

You cannot link summon the turn you activate either of these card's effects and can only use each effect of "Alkimia the Magic Sprite" once per turn. If this card is in your hand and there are 2 or more "Alkimia" monsters in your graveyard or banished zone (combined): you can pay 1500 LP (half instead if your LP is 3000 or less); send 1 non-field spell card from your deck to the graveyard and if you do, set this card in your spell/trap zone as that card. During your Standby Phase if this card is in your graveyard: you can banish 2 "Alkimia" cards from your graveyard; add this card to your hand.

Rulings Notes:

- You can activate and resolve this card's first effect while affected by Masked HERO Dark Law or Macrocosmos, since sending a spell is not a cost.

- "Set this card as that card" means that until it leaves the Spell & Trap zone Alkimia the Magic Sprite's name is treated as that card's name and card type and it can be activated as that spell card. If a quick play spell is sent, you cannot activate that "Alkimia the Magic Sprite" that turn. For example, you could send Twin-Twisters and then once "Alkimia the Magic Sprite" is set and the next turn comes, you can activate it next turn by discarding 1 card, thus targeting and destroying 2 spell/trap cards. This will be treated as affected/targeted/destroyed/ect destroyed by a spell effect. Once "Alkimia the Magic Sprite" leaves the field, its a monster again.

Design Notes:

Directly based on http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sabatiel_-_The_Philosopher's_Stone_(anime) The powerful effect lets you get whatever spell card you need for a situation. Not allowing link summoning that turn is to give the effect a price in addition to LP.

wdwvRSk.png

You cannot link summon the turn you activate the following effect. If there are 2 or more "Alkimia" monsters in your graveyard or banished zone (combined) and your opponent controls more monsters then you do: you can discard this card, then target 2 monsters in your graveyard whose total level is 8 or less; special summon 1 synchro or xyz monster from your extra deck (this is treated as a synchro or xyz summon respectively) whose level/rank equals the combined levels of those targets and whose Type and Attribute are in common with the original types and attributes among those targets by using those targets as the materials. It gains this effect this turn.*Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets this card; you can negate that activation.

Rulings Notes:

*Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets this card; you can negate that activation. is treated as the effect of the summoned monster, similar to "Star Drawing". However the effect is 'removed' at the end of the turn.

Design Notes:

A loose reference to the fact that in the anime Sabatiel was used to facilitate the summoning of powerful monsters. Also, it gives the deck another powerful effect to use.

[spoiler=support]

yKHO8Ko.png

If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can add 1 "Alkimia" card from your Deck to your hand.

0En3NHJ.png

When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.  If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

t9Dcs6L.png

If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Damage Step. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Alkimia" monster in your graveyard or banished zone and 1 face-up monster on the field; shuffle the first target into the Deck, and if you do, destroy the second target. This card cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect.

yDZaLZS.png

If this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 level 2 or higher "Alkimia" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Alkimia Raptor". If this card is destroyed by battle: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand.

4eXTHCs.png

Add 1 "Alkimia" monster from your Deck or graveyard to your hand.

Support Design Notes:

Basic support cards, not too powerful because the ace monsters already are powerful.

If you wanted to be precise, as far as I know, the story of the word "Alchemy" starts in the Arabic world (Al-kimiya, which means "the art of the Philosopher's Stone), then became "Alchimia" in Medieval Latin, as you said, and the exact same word is used nowadays in Italian. So, Alkimia is basically turning the sound "Ch" to "K", and that's fine for me. Actually, Alkimia sounds like a good name for an Archetype, indeed.

I'm not gonna correct OCG, because I'm quite bad at it; I'm just going to say that "Graveyard" can be shortened by using "GY". Deck, Extra Deck, Spell, Link Summon, Special Summon and many more should be capitalized.

Anyway.

Alkimia the Magic Sprite (aka cute Victini)

Pay 1500 LP (or 750 if they're 3000 or less); mill a Spell and Set this in the S/T Zone as that card. If it's in the GY, banish 2 "Alkimia" from GY, add this to the hand.

I get Setting this instead of a Spell is a reference to Sabatiel, but wouldn't it be easier if it said "Discard this card, Set a Spell card directly from your Deck, but it can't be activated this turn"?

Many Decks love to search Spells; that's why Left Arm Offering is used. I'm thinking of those horrible 60-cards milling Decks, but I'm sure there are more.

The costs and restrictions balance the card, but it's still pretty good.

Alkimia the Summoning Sprit(aka Jirachi)

If your opponent controls more monsters, discard this card, Synchro or Xyz Summon a level/rank 8 or lower. This turn, it negates cards that target that monster.

Ok well, it's a good recycling card - basically Summoning another ED monster by using materials you already used - but I have a question about the XYZ Summon. It says "whose rank equals the combined levels of those targets". That means if I use 2 level 4 monsters, for example, I'm not getting an Utopia, but a 4+4 = rank 8 monster. I'd change it to something like Advanced Heraldry Art:

Special Summon those monsters. Immediately after this effect resolves: Synchro Summon or Xyz Summon a monster by using those monsters as materials.

The card is cool, though. Definitely splashable in a lot of Synchro/Xyz Decks.

Alkimia Scout

Cyber Dragon SS effect. When this inflicts damage, search an Alkimia card. You already said that; those are basic support cards with standard effects. Not sure if this will be as useful as you thought it would be, because it requires battling to search, but still better than Genex Neutron, I guess.

Alkimia Lancer

Gagaga Gardna SS effect. Piercing damage. Yeah, pretty basic. Not sure why it's even an Alkimia card, though. It could at least have a continuous effect that makes all Alkimia monsters deal piercing damage.

Alkimia Paladin

2k ATK, changed to Defense Position if attacks. OPT, shuffle an Alkimia from the GY, target and destroy a monster. That's a good standard card. And I don't have much else to say.

Alkimia Raptor

NS: search a level 2 or higher Alkimia. If destroyed by battle, bounce a card. It doesn't even search the Sprites, that's bad. Also, the "level 2 or higher, except Raptor" makes me think there are more Alkimia cards. If I'm wrong, you can just change it to "a level 4 "Alkimia" monster". The other effect is cool, because you'll be likely to leave a 600 ATK monster alone.

Alkimia Vortex

Search an Alkimia. Well. That's what I call creativity. I've never seen a more bland support card - oh wait, there's E - Emergency. Ok.

I know there are only 7 cards, but I don't see the point of this Archetype. They're really generic cards, and the only way they support each other is by searching.

The idea of the Sprites is cool, but the rest of the Archetype is just.. not interesting.

Also, why is it called Alkimia? It has nothing like "Alkimia Art of Purification", "Alkimia Scientist", "Alkimia Secret Stone", or anything related to alchemy at all (except for Vortex, but that's it) - maybe it's because of the images, I don't know.

Archived