[Leaderboard] BatMed vs Dragon Sage

BatMed

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Cards must be PM'd to me.
  • Both participants must approve both cards via notes, to help prevent functional and grammatical errors .
  • If arts are provided, I will remake both cards in the same template to help ensure anonymity.
  • In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

• The deadline for cards is 2 days after challenge has been accepted.
  • The deadline for votes is 3 days after cards have been posted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

• Make a ROTA card, for something (a Monster Type, Archetype, a specific Card Type, etc...)

Cards:

[spoiler=Card A]

3CTBZ2v.png

Field Spell
When this card is activated, if you control no other face-up Spell/Trap Cards: Activate 1 Continuous Spell directly from your Deck. You cannot activate other Spells/Traps for the rest of the turn you activate this effect. If a Continuous Spell/Trap you control would be destroyed: You can destroy this card instead, and if you do, destroy 1 face-up card your opponent controls.

[spoiler=Card B]

w1rBxdC.png

Pendulum Effect:
You can only Pendulum Summon DARK monsters. When this card is placed in a Pendulum Zone: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower Zombie-type monster from your deck to your hand, but you cannot Special Summon monsters with that name for the rest of the turn.

Monster Effect:
2 or more Zombie-type monsters
Must first be Special Summoned by Fusion Summon. You can also Fusion Summon this card by banishing the above fusion materials from your Graveyard face-down. This card's ATK and DEF are equal to the number of fusion materials used x800. If this face-up monster is destroyed: You can return any number of monsters banished face-down to the Graveyard, and if you do; Place this card in 1 of your unoccupied Pendulum Zones.

Right lets do this.

Card A actually searches out Continuous Spells/Traps-Weatherys, Fire Formation, Six Sams and Zoodiacs Dinomists are doing the Mambo as we speak. Its that restriction clause that saves it though-no way am I looking forward to having people ROTA Barrage Space/Time Pendulumgraph and outright securing Zarcgicians as a Tier 0 Deck. Am a bit wary on that last effect though-there's a reason I usually say to exempt Spells/Traps from destruction from other cards trying to destroy it-some of the more broken Cont Spells/Traps (thankfully, several of which are already banned, like Vanity's Emptiness) are usually only kept at bay by a self-destruction effect or by lieu of being able to be destroyed.

If this is in, those routes close up and a certain couple of cards'll need a paddlin'.

But that's speculation-it's gonna be a test of the Continuous Spell/Trap branch that determines how this works, and it seems solid in what it does in the right builds, though I think it may turn into Card of Demise writ large, where it ends up being a reward to bad play since it still allows you to Set Spells/Traps. Tell you what though, if Ancient Fairy and Terraforming weren't on the verge of limitation/banning before, this'll cinch it now if it's introduced.

Card B. Okay, it's a Pendulum Fusion for Zombies-that allows you to clear the GY for its Fusion Summon, as long as the materials are banished face-down (as if that'll stop their BFF Omega from gettin' them back), gains 800 ATK for each banished-so that's a 1600 ATK/DEF minimum for a Level 7, and upon being moved to the Pend Zone after reloading all your face-down banished Zombie monsters, which already is worth the price of admission and makes a Rank 7 Zombie Deck possible now-searches you a Level 4 or lower Zombie, under the condition it can't be Summoned that turn.

Okay, several issues abound, but none so much as that effect that basically rewards you for running Pot of Desires even more than POT OF DESIRES DOES. It's lucky its face-down banished, so this can't work with the Mezukis you'd likely have already used on Uni-Zombie mills. Still feels like a free Summon, though one you'd have to dump a sizeable number of resources into making a threat.

I do think this Card B will be for Zombies what Fairy Tail - Snow is for Lightsworns, Blazing Mars is for Infernoids, and Eater of Millions is for Hopeless Gandora-a usable tech for a certain branch of monsters whose specificity keeps its use limited-but whose ease of Summoning-and potential for multiples being Summoned-makes it invaluable. Tell you what, Zombie-Sworns may make bank off this and rise again, especially if you use this to get out the other Zombie Pendulum they have-P.M. Captor.

Right, so each card has usability issues but are otherwise solid-Card A on the allowing Set cards thing, Card B on the ease-of-Summon thing. Both could be fixed by a limiting of the card, and likely that'll be the case if these hit current meta-but in terms of how well they work right now in terms of searching, which is the main crux of the contest-Card A's got my vote by a hair. Most the other cards I'm worried about gelling with this card are already not gonna be activated the turn its effect is used so it's a bit like Future Fusion now in that you have a window to try and stop if it you went first against it.

if Dragon Sage approved, it's 1-0 card A 

[spoiler=btw]

btw, card A had an issue, it was:

When this card is activated, if you have no face-up Spell/Trap Cards in your Spell & Trap Zone

but now changed to:

When this card is activated, if you control no other face-up Spell/Trap Cards

Because the 1st condition stopped the card from activating its effect.

I vote for Card A.

Card A:

This one looks... surprisingly fair. The restrictions should keep it on check, and a searcher Continuous Spells would be such a nice thing to have around, especially if it gets Field Spell support and hence is searchable by Terraforming, Ravine-Destrudo-Fairy Dragon, Set Rotation, etc. Funnily enough, due to mechanics similar to Demise of the Land and Metaverse, it wouldn't trigger effects of Cont. Spells with "When this card is activated" clauses, like Tenki, but that's ok, it further keeps it on check.

Also, dropping a text fix/suggestion:

When this card is activated, if you control no other face-up Spell/Trap Cards: Activate 1 Continuous Spell directly from your Deck. You cannot activate other Spells/Traps for the rest of the turn you activate this effect. If a Continuous Spell/Trap you control would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: Destroy 1 face-up card your opponent controls.

Card B:

Uh, I give an outright "nope" to this one. I mean, a +1 Contact Fusion on the same style as ABC- Dragon Buster, for a Type that stands out for its milling-happy strategies, and that can easily reach a huge amount of ATK for an OTK? Please no. And then it can become a Scale and search a Level4 or lower Zombie for you? Damn. Maybe if it was limited to up to 3~4 Zombies as material, but an unlimited amount is just asking for abuse.

I vote for Card A.

Card A:

This one looks... surprisingly fair. The restrictions should keep it on check, and a searcher Continuous Spells would be such a nice thing to have around, especially if it gets Field Spell support and hence is searchable by Terraforming, Ravine-Destrudo-Fairy Dragon, Set Rotation, etc. Funnily enough, due to mechanics similar to Demise of the Land and Metaverse, it wouldn't trigger effects of Cont. Spells with "When this card is activated" clauses, like Tenki, but that's ok, it further keeps it on check.

Also, dropping a text fix/suggestion:

When this card is activated, if you control no other face-up Spell/Trap Cards: Activate 1 Continuous Spell directly from your Deck. You cannot activate other Spells/Traps for the rest of the turn you activate this effect. If a Continuous Spell/Trap you control would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: Destroy 1 face-up card your opponent controls.

Card B:

Uh, I give an outright "nope" to this one. I mean, a +1 Contact Fusion on the same style as ABC- Dragon Buster, for a Type that stands out for its milling-happy strategies, and that can easily reach a huge amount of ATK for an OTK? Please no. And then it can become a Scale and search a Level4 or lower Zombie for you? Damn. Maybe if it was limited to up to 3~4 Zombies as material, but an unlimited amount is just asking for abuse.

2-0 for card A 

Card A is fine as-is; at the very least, you can set up a key Cont. Spell from the Deck even if it doesn't trigger on-activation stuff. Think the only one that cares is Tenki and the like. Might help for grabbing a couple of them that are Limited right now, so that helps. So yeah, nothing wrong with it; at least you get to destroy something if this ends up blocking the Continuous Spell you activated from here.

Card B is getting a no from me as well, considering how Grave happy they are, and that basically amounts to a better Chimeratech Overdragon (remember Future / Overload Fusion? and the fact Chimeratech nuked everything else you had). Yeah, you get it. IDK if Zombies even use Desires (and if this would also return stuff too; think it does but need to check), but if it does work, then yeah, more banish fuel. Searching is fine, but main issue is it recycling Zombies if it gets killed and effectively more OTKing. Admittedly, I can't see Zombies actually teching Poly for this, but yeah, this should've had a cap.

====

Voting A on this one for fairness. 

Card A is fine as-is; at the very least, you can set up a key Cont. Spell from the Deck even if it doesn't trigger on-activation stuff. Think the only one that cares is Tenki and the like. Might help for grabbing a couple of them that are Limited right now, so that helps. So yeah, nothing wrong with it; at least you get to destroy something if this ends up blocking the Continuous Spell you activated from here.

Card B is getting a no from me as well, considering how Grave happy they are, and that basically amounts to a better Chimeratech Overdragon (remember Future / Overload Fusion? and the fact Chimeratech nuked everything else you had). Yeah, you get it. IDK if Zombies even use Desires (and if this would also return stuff too; think it does but need to check), but if it does work, then yeah, more banish fuel. Searching is fine, but main issue is it recycling Zombies if it gets killed and effectively more OTKing. Admittedly, I can't see Zombies actually teching Poly for this, but yeah, this should've had a cap.

====

Voting A on this one for fairness. 

If Dragon Sage approved, then Card A wins 3 - 0.

EDIT: Card A won *pets myself*

Archived