Missing it's timing(why is this a ruling)

So i just read up on missing it's timing. Basically what i got from it is if an effect of a card starts with "when", its effects must be the last thing on the chain to resolve otherwise it does not go threw. But what baffles me is why. Shouldn't it just trigger with in the chain and then the chain continues after that? Would be interesting to discuss this with people.

1. This is only true with "When [...] you can" effects. Mandatory "when" effects go on a new chain, just like all "If" effects.

2. This ruling is used to balance a lot of cards and strategies due to them being otherwise broken at the time, such as Peten the Dark Clown, Mermails, and Lightpulsar Dragon. As for why it exists, pretty much Because Konami Says So.

If I recall correctly, it was an infinite loop involving these two cards:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Archfiend_of_Gilfer

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Woodland_Sprite

And then the rule was lazily patched in to fix this and made a part of the game ever since.

It's horrible. Always has been. Always will be. It ruins otherwise good cards and strategies.

Yep ok. Now i get it. So it was a balancing act. At first it looked odd to me because other TCGs would just have the effects resolve with in order from the last to the 1st which where applied. Tho i don't think that ruling fixes the combo you just showed me, it just hinders it. But anyway i get it now.

Yep ok. Now i get it. So it was a balancing act. At first it looked odd to me because other TCGs would just have the effects resolve with in order from the last to the 1st which where applied. Tho i don't think that ruling fixes the combo you just showed me, it just hinders it. But anyway i get it now.

It does fix it. Gilfer's effect can't even go off due to Woodland Sprite, thanks to missing the timing.

Archived