AMA (Catholicism)

ShimoHkun1

Being raised Roman Catholic and investing some time in theology I would like to think I know a good amount about my faith. So this is for any questions any person may have about the views, doctrine, or anything else about the Catholic faith and I will answer to the best of my ability. And this can include anything in a controversial topic or even if you want to clarify about something that may be a misconception about the Church.

(If this needs to be moved to someplace more appropriate please do, I just put it here because I thought it would be the best place)

AMAs by default belong in Misc, but I'll be popping in on this one every so often. If things get a bit too debate-y I'll probably move it to Debates, but I can't imagine that happening in Misc of all places.

Anyway, here's a fun little question while I'm here. What distinguishes Roman Catholicism from other Christian beliefs?

Roman Catholicism and other Christians are in the most basic sense very similar, but there are some major differences.

Catholics believe Mary is a virgin and was born without original sin and most other Christians do not

Catholics have the Pope as a form of leadership while the Christians lead themselves

Catholics have priests instead of pastors which is a whole other thing

Catholics have 7 sacraments most other denominations have 2

Catholics have saints that are revered and most Christian denominations don't have many or any at all

Those are the biggest general differences, there are several doctrinal differences but that would take way too long.

Archived