[Finished]CC Monthly Series [October 2017]

Flash Flyer - Sakura

I apologize if there's a format to submissions that I'm not using, for I haven't done this before. Let me know if I missed something and I'll gladly fix it!

Anyways! This is my submission for this month's card contest, based around Halloween.

https://imgur.com/TRNPSQE

"Carrier Of The Lantern"

DARK

Rank 4

Spellcaster-Type

Effect:

3 Level Four DARK Monsters
Once per turn, you may detatch one XYZ material from this card, target one Set card on the field. Flip that card face- up (Flip effects are not activated at this time) and if it is a Spell or Trap card, destroy it. When this card is destroyed by battle, you may pay 500 LP to target one Set card on the field, destroy it.
1900ATK
2300DEF

This card is a great counter to flip-Monster decks, as well as Ghostrick decks, and decks that rely on Set Spell/Trap cards.

It's fine; the only real condition for submitting entries is that it needs to be formatted in a way that is readable. I don't have a specific standard (I never have), unlike a certain user in another thread. 

But welcome to YCM, and I'm noting your entry.

=====

May need to go ping the two vets who signed up for this; I know I can get Sleepy in another club, but Sage, IDK. (Assuming they're still busy with other stuff and don't have time to make a card).

[spoiler=I'll just go all-out horror, kay?]h4jH7JM.png

If a monster you own is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do; equip the destroyed monster to this card. You can only Special Summon 1 "Fire-Forged Corpse" per turn this way. When this card would leave the field by your opponent's card with a monster equipped: You can send that equipped monster to the Graveyard instead, and if you do, inflict damage equal to that monster's ATK.

It's not the most traditional idea, but I'm doing this by my own rules. I will protest like no other if you don't think this fits the theme.

[spoiler=I'll just go all-out horror, kay?]h4jH7JM.png

It's not the most traditional idea, but I'm doing this by my own rules. I will protest like no other if you don't think this fits the theme.

Zombies work fine for the theme [well, they are somewhat of a common theme iirc]. 

Is it too late to enter?

You have until Wednesday afternoon (my time), so no. This is about 3 days.

[spoiler=Entry]tP0p4E2.jpg

You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. This card's name becomes "Vampire Lord" while on the field or in the GY. You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap); each player send 1 card of that type from their Deck to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Vampire Costume" once per turn. Once per turn, during your turn, before resolving an opponent's card effect, send all other copies of that card from their Deck and/or Extra Deck to the GY.

Dark / Zombie

Rank 4 / ATK 2500 / DEF 1800

Effect:

3 Level 6 monsters
Unaffected by Trap effects. If this card has a "Pumpking the King of Ghosts" monster as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
● When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Banish that monster from GY, your opponent take damage equal to its ATK during each of their Standby Phase

AkgFQB5.jpg

[spoiler=My entry]

6Q8qQSW.png

DARK Level 6 [Zombie/Ritual/Effect] 2600/1300

Can be Ritual Summoned by "Contract with the Abyss". If it would be sent from the field to the GY, banish it. Then, Special Summon it during your opponent's next Standby Phase. When Summoned by its own effect or by "Contract with the Abyss", apply 1 of these (opponent's choice).

• Destroy 1 card your opponent controls.

• Draw 1 card.

The Ritual Spell exists IRL. It is the generic Ritual Spell for DARKs (Sauravis's Ritual Spell is the generic one for LIGHT so I figure this could be viable).

Flavor of the card is that Jack made a "deal with the abyss" that prevents him from going to hell, even though he was negated the entrance to heaven after he died, which is the reason he is stuck in a limbo of sorts for all eternity. He cannot touch the GY after sent there from the field.

Trick or Treating also originally meant:

If you are unfortunate enough to cross paths with this spirit, they'll let you choose between treating them something or having them "trick" you, which could mean something serious like having a farmer's cattle found lying dead and drained of blood within the next few days for not wanting to treat.
Other stories also have witches eating kids and being offered other food in exchange for stopping that.

The image is Jack receiving something in a bag with one hand, and holding something gruesome with the other.

For those of you who wrote design notes, I did not actively read them while grading.

October grades

Standard
B/U: 60
C: 25
O: 15
Total: 100

[spoiler=Scores]
Eshai

B: 44 (21 + 23)
C: 20
O: 13.5

T: 77.5

This literally says "oh hi Fabled abuse" (and you know there's a member in AGM who likes this). Well, it's not as dramatic as this, but looking at the current pool, yeah, trigger some of the Beasts, summon them and proceed to Synchro again. (So...Fabled that isn't really one). Double attacking is fine, and I suppose for their purposes, just clear out the Fabled Synchros to summon them back later via the new rules.

(OCG drops were basically missing some punctuation marks on the revival effect, and the limiter feels off, even though I know what you're trying to do.)

Kid Gambino

B: 50 (28 + 22)

T: 90

In most cases, players will have other monsters with different names, so it should have some degree of impact. How long this will survive against common removal and all, IDK (and it doesn't exactly change certain Decks because a few are mono-Type/Attribute/whatever). Links probably don't care too much, considering a handful have c/p conditions.

Thematically, it does work out, so...

Armoire

B: 47 (27 + 20)
C: 24

T: 86

Card on its own is fine, but yeah, it is limited to smaller Decks and being un-revivable hurts it a bit. Also obligatory note about Xyz/Links being a thing. I did not deduct points because pic already exists on actual card [or anime/manga].

Reptilious

B: 45 (27 + 18)

T: 80

Recall that ED laddering is a thing, and while negation helps, it doesn't really do much and is slow burn. You probably could've gotten away with just killing it next turn instead of the two turn wait.

Dtwist11

B: 38 (20 + 18)
C: 21
O: 11.5

T: 70.5

One major thing here is what Decks nowadays will want to invest 3 DARKs in here. Effect in application is nice and all, but in hindsight, Shaddolls/Subterrors don't exactly care and obvious removal.

Also you did lose points in OCG because of that spelling error [remember I told you all to spellcheck before the deadline] and using wording that is technically correct in standard English, but not so in card grammar (can VS may). Also, you just write the number in its numerical form, not write it out.

Sage

B: 52 (22 + 30)
C: 18
O: 13.5

T: 83.5

Well, it's technically usable, but general concerns are with potential massive burn (albeit limited to 1 shot most of the time). So...use your monster's dead body as a shield to burn stuff with. Trying to figure out the theme behind this other than zombies being associated with Halloween for the most part. 

OCG was basically some wording stuff: "you own" (are you trying to imply in your possession or control, as I assumed the latter) and the wording pertaining to what you can do when a monster is equipped. I know what you were getting at though, so that's why the drop wasn't big.

Dragulas

B: 47 (20 + 27)

T: 82

Feels a bit too much like Vampire Lord 2.0. I mean, I did look over their support cards and they would probably like a faster way to get stuff on board / Rank 5. However, issue being that it's an improved version and yeah, not keen on this milling same name stuff when the opponent triggers. (I guess it's better than Critical Timing, but yeah, doesn't help if you hit staples or something that got hit by lists)

cheewei27

B: 36 (20 + 16)
C: 21
O: 14.5

T: 71.5

Summoning this in the first place is the main problem with this card, and payoff. Unaffected by Traps is nice, but recall that the new rules make it harder to summon (and Pumpking himself isn't particularly good right now). Hitting the GY and burning also works, but yeah, still need to run old Level 6 for this and then make it. The effort is there, but yeah.

OCG errors were VERY minor and towards the end.

Sleepy

B: 52 (22 + 30)
O: 14.5

T: 91.5

Well, at least we finally get a named Ritual Monster for Contract, so there's something. Some of my concerns are lack of OPT on its SSing effect and then essentially "reincarnating itself" (though Iron Wall does stop it more/less, among other things). Granted, it is delayed revival (and while it does fit into the general trend of zombies, yeah). The effects themselves are generally fine on their own; draw effect is okay and destruction one is fine. Granted, Contract isn't searchable via Pre-Prep and original one is Limited now, but...

====

In a nutshell, you all did well for the most part (none of you got lower than 70, though the two of you who were bordering on this edge basically had it due to usability errors [card is either not strong enough for the format or running it is not an option over other stuff that does same thing for less work.])

====

I had this typed out the past couple days, but just didn't have time to post it [likely with giving short commentary for all of you; was going to reserve it only for cards that scored low or just have you request it on your own].

I have something else planned in the next couple days for this section, so it is imperative that I hurry up and end this. Will give you all until the end of the day to look over your grades and point out anything you need to, so yeah, speak up. 

[if you didn't do as well as you thought in here, then you have some redemption later, but the tasks will be different]

When this card would leave the field by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect) while it is equipped with a monster: You can send that equipped monster to the Graveyard instead, and if you do, inflict damage equal to that monster's ATK. 

The bolded is what more recent cards have, though I will have to confirm actual examples later. Underline may be needed (although it's implied that it's by battle or card effect, you may need to specify that too). Though I did say that I wouldn't deduct points if there was a discrepancy about wording. 

Other than that, you did fine. Most of the points for OCG were in comprehension/spell check and basically, does the grammar pass for actual text (which you did). 

Even with the clarification, card probably wouldn't change as much from original interpretation. Only thing you'd have to deal with outside that is maybe CED (and the gimmicky Aqua/Marine Dolphin stuff).

But yeah, if no one has any complaints, the final scores are thus:

Sleepy - 91.5

Kid Gambino - 90

Armoire - 86

Sage - 83.5 

So yeah, I'll award the prizes now. [since Sleepy already got her member group, the equivalent of it will be given.]

Thanks to all of you who participated, and congratulations to the winners.

(Again, if you didn't do as well this time or want redemption, there will be another event coming up in a day or so, but it'll run differently. You'll find out.*)

* I would like to, but will depend on my coursework (once I have it reduced a bit).

Archived