Bachi Beasts

vla1ne

put simply, this is a toolbox deck that's meant to combine pendulum, FLIP, and link monsters, for the optimal funtime playstyle. the pendulum effects of my monsters are made, for the most part to allow Manipulation of Flips, and to generate offense when the deck has tooled around long enough in the box. a key plan being learning when and what bugs to use as spells, and what bugs to throw at your opponent.

[spoiler=main deck monsters']

Bachi Beast Beetle

Insect/Flip/ Pendulum 7/Effect

Earth/5 Stars/ 2000/1000

Pendulum Eff: During either players turn, you can target 1 "Bachi Beast" monster you control, flip that target face-down. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Beetle" Once per turn.

Monster Eff: Flip: Destroy 2 cards on the Field

If this card is Special Summoned, you can flip it into Face-Down Defense Position. If this card destroys a monster by battle, you can destroy cards your opponent controls, up to the number of "Bachi Beast" monsters you control. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Beetle" once per turn.

a controller of the deck, the pendulum effect is simple, but powerful in the deck, and the monster effect is just as simple, but just as effective, the "staple" of the deck, i'd say, and probably the go-to card for starting combos.

Bachi Beast Ant

Insect/Flip/Pendulum 1/Effect

FIRE/2 stars/400/200

Pendulum Eff: During either players turn, you can target 1 face-down monster you control, flip that target face-up. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Ant" Once per turn.

Monster Eff: Flip: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each card in their GY.

If this card is Special Summoned, you can flip it into Face-Down Defense Position. If this card is destroyed by Battle or by an Opponent’s card effect, inflict 400 Damage to your Opponent for every card they control.

something completely different, this is the second controller of the deck, the pendulum effect being a mirror image of beetle. but the monster effect is what makes it so scary, the damage this little ant can do is pretty negligible on it's own, but racks up very quickly if left to it's own devices (or flipped in multiples). The natural enemy of anybody who thinks the grass is always greener on the other side.

Bachi Beast Dragonfly

Insect/Flip/Pendulum 1/Effect

WIND/4 stars / 1800/900

Pendulum Eff: Each time a "Bachi Beast" monster(s) is flipped face-up, all face-up "Bachi Beast" monsters you control gain 200 ATK until the End of the turn.

Monster Eff: Flip: Add 1 "Bachi Beast" Monster from your Deck to your Hand. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Dragonfly" Once per turn.

If this card is Special Summoned, you can flip it into Face-Down Defense Position. This card gains an additional attack for every "Bachi Beast" monster you control with a different name, except "Bachi Beast Dragonfly".

this is the powershed, and powerhouse of the deck, the pendulum effect is capable of boosting your monsters to insane heights when combined with one or more controller effects, and should you have a dragonfly on the field taking in that boost, you may well come up with an insanely strong multi-swinging beater. but the best effect to build with, is that innocent little searcher effect imbued into the flip effect.

Bachi Beast Strider

Insect/Flip/Pendulum 7/Effect

WATER/3 stars / 1400/700

Pendulum Eff: During either players turn, you can target 1 Face-down card you control, until the next End Phase, while that card is facedown, that card cannot be targeted for attacks, or destroyed by card effects. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Strider" once per turn.

Monster Eff: Flip: Add up to 2 "Bachi Beast" Monsters from your GY, or face-up in your Extra deck, to your Hand. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Strider" Once per turn.

If this card is Special Summoned, you can flip it into Face-Down Defense Position. Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from your GY except "Bachi Beast Strider"

this is the protection that the little bugs need, and is capable of keeping them safe, so long as they don't pop their heads up. the flip effect grants valuable recycling, and the standard effect is a revival for any "bachi beast" that's unlucky enough to be killed.

[spoiler=extra deck monsters]

Bachi Beast Centipede

Insect/Links: Down, Left, Right/ Effect

Dark/ 2400/LINK3//

Monster Eff: 3 "Bachi Beast" Monsters

Your opponent cannot set monsters. If a "Bachi Beast" monster is summoned to a zone this card points to, banish 1 card in your opponent's GY. During either players turn, you can activate one of the following effects:

·         Flip all face-Down monsters on the field face-up, and if you do, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for every "Bachi Beast" monster flipped by this effect.

·         Flip all Face-up monsters you control face down, and gain 200 Life points for each monster flipped by this effect.

You can only use one of these effects of "Bachi Beast Centipede" per turn, and only once that turn.

not very powerful on it's own, but the pointers allow for far more action than normal under link rules, and the prevention of setting monsters is potentially terrifying if your opponent ends up on the defensive. the GY removal is something of an afterthought, but the mass flipping, and half-field setting is the marriage of the two controllers of the deck, the ant and the beetle. implementing burning for forcing "Bachi Beasts" face-up, and healing you once you settle them down. something that i wish subterrors had managed to implement properly.

Bachi Beast Lightning Bug

Insect/Link:Down/Effect

LIGHT/1200/LINK1//

1"Bachi Beast" monster

Monster Eff: You can Special Summon 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from your Deck to the zone this card points to, and if you do, return this card to your Extra Deck. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Lightning Bug" once per turn. Each time a "Bachi Beast" monster(s) is summoned to your side of the field, increase this card's ATK by 200 for each monster summoned. Monsters with lower ATK than this card cannot activate their effects.

this monster's essentially a free toolbox for any Bachi that you need, but in exchange, you have to return it to the ED, the use of pointers makes placement essential as well, forcing you to drop it in the ED zone, and preventing cheese summons by revival. but since i don't much like gimmicky one-trick ponies when if comes to ED design (shut up, flip effects aren't gimmicky), the second effect packs far more of a whallop than the first can, in a few ways. it's essentially a denial of handtraps, that just says no to just about every monster at all after a while, all the while becoming a bigger and bigger beatstick. a marriage of the strider and the dragonfly, capable of some truly scary things if left alone.

[spoiler=spells&trap]

Bachi Beast Battle

Continuous Trap

If a "Bachi Beast" monster destroys an opponent's monster as a result of Battle; Draw 1 card. If a "Bachi Beast" monster(s) is flipped face-up, you can target face-down cards on the Field, up to the number of monsters flipped face-up: destroy them. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Battle" once per turn.

as a trap, i wanted to give it something to replenish advantage, in addition, the second effect, while being a hard once per turn, has the potential to hit up to 5 cards if your opponent was somehow dumb enough to let you set 5 monsters on them. it's a card that's only as strong as your opponent is stupid.

Bachi Beast Mating Call

Normal Spell

Target 1 face-up monster you control; flip it Face Down, and If that monster was a "Bachi Beast" monster, Add 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from your Deck to your Hand. During your Main Phase, you can banish this card from your GY: Add 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from Your GY or your Extra Deck to your Hand. You can only use each effect of "Bachi Beast Mating Call" Once per turn.

the searcher of the deck, and it even helps reset your monsters. not sure if it's well balanced, but meh, i at least don't think it's busted.

Bachi Beast Coliseum

Field Spell

When this card is activated: Flip all face down monsters you control face-up. All Insect-Type monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF. Face-Down monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponents’ card effects. If this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can target 1 "Bachi Beast" Spell or Trap card in your GY except "Bachi Beast Coliseum" add it to your Hand. You can only activate 1 "Bachi Beast Coliseum" per turn.

a field spell that makes your insects proud, while standing all your bugs at attention when activated. the recycle effect will be rather easy to pull of if you pop it yourself, but it at least it only goes into the GY, so i don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

I’m correcting the OCG as well because I’m a bit late to reviewing.

Bachi Beast Beetle
EARTH - Level 5 - Insect/Flip/Pendulum 7/Effect - 2000 ATK/1000 DEF
Pendulum: You can target 1 "Bachi Beast" monster you control (Quick Effect): Switch it to face-down Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Beetle" once per turn.
Flip: Destroy 2 cards on the field.
Monster: If this card is Special Summoned: You can change it to face-down Defense Position.

If this card destroys a monster by battle, you can destroy cards your opponent controls, up to the number of "Bachi Beast" monsters you control. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Beetle" once per turn.

This is A LOT of destruction on a single card. I get that it’s a Level 5 and it deserves some power, but being able to destroy the amount of cards it can is a bit unruly. I would rather you do something a bit cooler. Instead, I would make it a Level 6 with 2500 ATK, give it a Flip Effect of Destroying 2 monsters or Spell/Traps (if you’re destroying 2 cards you might want to limit it to one or another) on the field, and then when it destroys a monster by battle, it changes the Battle Position of 1 Bachi Beast you control to face-down Defense Position. This way you can’t destroy all of your opponent’s cards in 1 turn. But the card can potentially be a lot more useful utility-wise.

Bachi Beast (Fire)Ant

FIRE - Level 2 - Insect/Flip/Pendulum 1/Effect - 400 ATK/200 DEF
Pendulum: You can target 1 face-down monster you control (Quick Effect): Switch it to face-up Attack or Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Ant" once per turn.
Flip: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each card in their GY.
Monster: If this card is Special Summoned: You can change it to face-down Defense Position. If this card is destroyed by battle or by an opponent’s card effect, inflict 400 pts of damage to your opponent for each card on your opponent’s side of the field.

“The natural enemy of anybody who thinks the grass is always greener on the other side.”

That could definitely do a lot of damage, although a bit late to punish Grass is Greener. Didn’t mention this before but I like that Pendulum Summoning monsters of the archetype doesn’t miss timing EVER and it can reset itself after. Emulates something similar to what Subterrors did but a bit more situational but a bit more toolboxy (which seemed to be the point).

Feels like the card could be used in some Decks as a generic though, since the burn can be exploited with amazing effect. Idk if it should be too good though, since Dice Jar isn’t Main Decked in burn or anything.

Bachi Beast Dragonfly

WIND - Level 4 - Insect/Flip/Pendulum 1/Effect - 1800 ATK/900 DEF

Pendulum: Each time a "Bachi Beast" monster(s) is flipped face-up, all face-up "Bachi Beast" monsters you control gain 200 ATK until the end of the turn.
Flip: You can add 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Dragonfly" once per turn.

Monster: If this card is Special Summoned: You can change it to face-down Defense Position. This card gains an additional attack for every "Bachi Beast" monster you control with a different name, except "Bachi Beast Dragonfly".

Just kinda noticed, but it’s definitely different that you have Flip monsters with high ATK. It’s a searcher, so yeah you’re running 3. The additional attacks seem a bit scary though since you can search itself, activate it as a Pendulum, flip a bunch of monsters, and potentially get a monster with 3-5 Attacks, which is just nuts. I’d figure this effect would be better on a Link monster, where it would gain an additional attack each time a Bachi Beast is flipped face-up.

Bachi Beast Strider (I think a Nepomorpha, or “Water Bug” would fit your needs)

WATER - Level 3 - Insect/Flip/Pendulum 7/Effect - 1400 ATK/700 DEF
Pendulum: You can target 1 face-down card you control (Quick Effect): Until the end of the turn, that face-down card cannot be targeted for attacks or destroyed by card effects. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Strider" once per turn.
Flip: You can add up to 2 "Bachi Beast" monsters from your GY or face-up from your Extra Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Bachi Beast Strider" once per turn.

Monster: If this card is Special Summoned, you can change it into face-down Defense Position. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Bachi Beast" monster from your GY except "Bachi Beast Strider"

LOT of recycling (I might tone it down to Extra Deck without the GY so you can’t recover Links, but whatever there have been even more bs power level recovery cards.) The protection effect also really helps, but does the effect still protect the monster from battle when it’s flipped face-up since it specifies face-down? As the last Main Deck monster, I will say I’m a bit surprised you didn’t think of adding a clause to all the Pendulums that just says “You can Pendulum Summon Insect monsters in face-down Defense Position” which seems like it would’ve been really cool.

Bachi Beast Centipede

WIND - Lt, Rt, Down - Insect/Link/Effect - 2400 ATK/LINK-3
Monster: 3 "Bachi Beast" Monsters
Your opponent cannot Set monsters.

If a "Bachi Beast" monster is Summoned to a Monster Z  one this card points to: You can banish 1 card in your opponent's GY. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can activate one of the following effects.
⬤ Flip all Face-Down monsters on the field face-up, and if you do, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for every "Bachi Beast" monster flipped by this effect.
⬤ Flip all Face-up monsters you control face down, and gain 200 Life points for each monster flipped by this effect.
You can only use one of these effects of "Bachi Beast Centipede" per turn, and only once that turn.

This card is REALLY POWERFUL. For starters, the 2 effect might as well become “Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can change all monsters on the field to either face-up Attack Position or face-down Defense Position.” which will save some space. If you’re wondering about the damage or LP recovery, you need not any of it, because that effect literally stops anything your opponent does. While you have to play around Link monsters, players can’t use Set monsters as Link Materials, so you can do it earlier rather than later and get some leverage out of it.

The Link stuff should probably be 2+ “Bachi Bachi” monsters so you can use a Link 2 and 1 of the other monsters. I would personally lose the “your opponent cannot Set Monsters” since the only things that’s hating on is Prediction Princess, Crawlers, and Subterrors (which don’t need the hate.) I would make the 2 effects 1 effect like I said earlier but give it a requirement like “While you control another Insect or face-down Defense Position monster.”, or even make them have to point to the Link markers.

Bachi Beast Lightning Bug (Don’t know if you mean Firefly or not)

LIGHT - Down - Insect/Link/Effect - 1200 ATK/LINK-1
So… this is a bit broken. Link 1 monsters are a bit of a mystery when balancing, but they should have 1000 ATK or less, especially this card, but that isn’t what makes the card broken. OPT just get a monster that you want is a bit messed up, especially because it recycles itself. If it said that it banished itself after activation, that would probably be fine, but really Link 1 monsters aren’t meant to be this powerful, so if you want the full effect I would increase the ATK a bit and make it a Link 2.

Bit sad you didn’t make any Link Pendulum monsters, but tbh that would get crazy kinda fast.

Bachi Beast Battle
Continuous Trap
Not OPT Supply Squad but without
card effect destruction draw? Don’t know if it’s better or worse, but at least you can trigger it once without your opponent knowing. The second effect is a bit amazing (especially on a draw card), but I think you should test the cards you have on the Duel-Portal to check.

Bachi Beast Mating Call
Normal Spell
Change 1 monster you control to face-down Defense Position. If that monster was a “Bachi Beast”, you can add 1 “Bachi Beast” monster from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase, while this card is in your GY: You can banish it to add 1 “Bachi Beast” from your GY or your Extra Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of “Bachi Beast Mating Call” once per turn.

Might’ve been cooler to make it a Quick-play Spell, but this is fine too. I might make it so it specifies Insect rather than setting a “Bachi Beast” so you can get some more insect generics in since theirs quite a few good ones.

Bachi Beast Colosseum*
Field Spell
When this card is activated: Change all face-down monsters you control to face-up Attack Position. All Insect monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF. Face-down monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent’s card effects. If this card is destroyed by a card effect: You can add 1 “Bachi Beast” Spell/Trap from your GY to your hand, except “Bach Beast Colosseum”. You can only activate 1 “Bachi Beast Colosseum” per turn.

Pretty good, but it’s a little bit too generic, especially since the only thing that involves actual Bachi Beasts is on destruction to recover 1 of their Spell/Traps. Instead, I would give it
an effect to change the Battle Position of all monsters of the field to face-down Defense Position, and then add an effect of some kind that flips them face-up during either player's turn. That’s just an opinion
for the Deck in its current state but you could go either way.

Final Thoughts:

• Vesper Vespe or “Night Hornet” might be a more appropriate name for a Deck that’s obviously Bee monsters that hide in their hive to set them, with the flipping and Link monsters that have the hexagonal pattern.

• Might want to change a couple names to go for a more bee/hornet theme. The Field Spell could be a hive or something.

• “You can Special/Pendulum Summon “Bachi Beasts” monsters in face-down Defense Position” could be a great Pendulum clause for all of them that could replace the Monster Effect clause. Might not be better, but it would probably be cooler if that’s what you’re going for.

• The effects seem a bit overkill or generic at times, which I’ve definitely done before. I would balance the effects more to Subterror’s Flip Effects if you want reference, and focus more on the speed and recovery of this Deck that Subterrors lack.

Pretty solid idea with some minor problems, although I would test on Duel-Portal with the archetype because testing makes everything better.

[spoiler=response]

As for Beetle

well, nobleman-eater bug was a long while back, so i figured hitting 2 cards was about right for the time, though yeah, i'm cool with modding the effects somewhat. the battle destruction does need nerfing after looking again, i went a bit overboard on that, since flip effect monsters are rather slow, and the power cap of the deck in pure form (bar dragonfly and lightingbug altering) is 2400-2900(W. Field). i'll fix that in a minute i suppose. the standard ATK of the deck is kept low for a good reason though, dragonfly can jump monsters through the roof if set up properly. so i didn't want to have any monsters with too insane of an ATK value.

As for Ant
I kept the damage values consistent to the ATK and DEF of ant, making the lower damage apply to the one that could potentially stack the fastest. as for burn decks using it, it's more generic than the rest of the monsters in the deck when it comes to main monster effect, but it's far too slow for burn decks to use with any real conviction, especially since it depends heavily on your opponent, to get the most out of the burns. Even for the burn, it's the most straightforward card in the deck imo.

As for Dragonfly
The ATK values are exactly double the DEF values, something i wanted to keep consistent throughout the set, which is why dragonfly happens to have such a high ATK. i forgot to exclude himself from the search, i did mean to do that, but never got around to it (stopped right after giving it the OPT condition). as for the flip boost, to boost it to OTK levels, even in this deck, would require some rather massive setup, and to do it faster would potentially burn through every resource you had, unless you had a centipede on the field, which requires at least 3 monsters on it's own (since there's no link2 "Bachi Beast" you absolutely have to give up 3 monsters for every 1 summoned).  link monsters can stack the attack effect, whereas with dragonfly, you'd still have to maintain field presence, which wouldn't be all that easy, considering how relatively weak most of the other bachi beasts are, and how you need to keep out a variety of them to maximize the effect. though i'll say that can be tried out later in testing

As for Strider
yeah, water bug was the idea, but strider just fit better, and is somewhat more recognizable for me, not to mention it (the word strider) relates to the effect a lot better. i agree that i should limit the recycling at a second glance, probably to the ED, since that's where the majority of the monsters will likely end up.  if my understanding of wording is correct, the protection will prevents both attempted attacks and effect destruction only while face-down, which is the goal. but to answer the question directly, if anybody has a way to flip it face-up, then yes, it's f***ed. that method would definitely have been cool, and i'll likely utilize it for another archetype, but the way it is now, is a lot more flexible. which was the goal.

Something minor to note
(the links were actually contact fusions before, centipede requiring 3 with separate attributes, and lightning requiring  2 mats with separate attributes, both working slightly differently, and then links came out, and i switched it over to what you see here, and yes, they were in development hell since before links even existed.) completely forgot that links add that + to their material counter.

As For Centipede
it is pretty strong, but i wanted to make that distinction between effects. flipping everything facedown, is and insanely good effect (look at the new dinosaur boss for an example of why i'm hesitant to give any of my monsters a fieldwide BoM), also, the variations between healing and burning were there to add more variation to its' power, without completely shutting down everything my opponent does. 

My friend, centipede is both the top boss, and the counter, to the deck itself. the prevention of setting, is meant for the mirror match, the flipping of everything my opponent has set, and burning for any "bachi beast", is for the mirror, and the setting and healing effect, is for recovering after removing the opposing centipede. this card was made exclusively to counter the deck, and to restore your board after handling said counter of your opponents. it was more apparent in it's contact fusion form, but do i think i got it across here, even the GY banish is to prevent the opposing centipede from coming back via strider. this card was made to kills its' own kin.

As for Lightning bug
i'll be dropping it to ATK-100 then, to keep the trend. making it a bit weaker originally does play well enough into how it's meant to grow into a threat. i agree with the banish as well, and i'm somewhat sad i didn't think of that after converting it.

link pendulum was something i wanted to try, but i have 0 idea what cans of worms that could open, so i let it be for now. my ambition was mostly sated with Pendulum FLIP monsters, and LINK tests.

As for Bachi Beast Battle
well, battle destruction will only net you so much, and the card itself is both a trap (slow), and a battle trap (even slower), so a few draws for a 2 turn wait+ setup, felt like it was worth it to me. also, you might not have caught this, but the 2nd effect only hits facedown cards, and only hits once a turn, so it's good, but not as busted as it may seem at first glance.

As for Bachi Beast Mating Call
searching generic insects seems like something that would add too many variables to the deck as a whole outside of the vacuum, so i kept it simple. i also kept it SS1 because a quick play would make it far too versatile in a deck where almost every main deck monster can be pendulum summoned (i say almost, because i have 2 other cards, both in early development hell; the LIGHT and DARK main deck bachi beasts, neither of whom are planned to be pendulums)

As for Bachi Beast Colosseum
generic was what i wanted to go for, since i kept the searcher card specific, i wanted to add at least a little generic benefit to insects that may or may not be teched into the deck. protecting face-downs and flipping monsters face-up both fall in line with the decks' overall design, and the 500 boost is a shoutout to the older field spells.

Final Thoughts:

• Vesper Vespe or “Night Hornet” might be a more appropriate name for a Deck that’s obviously Bee monsters that hide in their hive to set them, with the flipping and Link monsters that have the hexagonal pattern.

• Might want to change a couple names to go for a more bee/hornet theme. The Field Spell could be a hive or something.

• “You can Special/Pendulum Summon “Bachi Beasts” monsters in face-down Defense Position” could be a great Pendulum clause for all of them that could replace the Monster Effect clause. Might not be better, but it would probably be cooler if that’s what you’re going for.

• The effects seem a bit overkill or generic at times, which I’ve definitely done before. I would balance the effects more to Subterror’s Flip Effects if you want reference, and focus more on the speed and recovery of this Deck that Subterrors lack.

Pretty solid idea with some minor problems, although I would test on Duel-Portal with the archetype because testing makes everything better.

• the idea behind bachi beasts (or at least the inspiration to make them) came from that one card, bachibachibachi, it has nothing to do with how they ended up, as you can see, but i do still like the way it sounds. i'll figure out another name for them i suppose. each card represents a different insect, and holds a different element to correspond with said insect. the bee name was definitely the inspiration, but funny enough, i didn't really model a single card of the bunch after bees. it's more around putting different types on insects into boxes and making them fight through the top holes, thus the flip effects (cruel irl, but it felt like it would translate well into yugioh)

• the flipping condition i added was to make sure that even outside of pendulum summon, they could flip themselves facedown, something that i've been hoping for in a FLIP archetype since shaddolls, and something that i've had a problem with since the man eater bug days. it was something of a secondary thought though, i'd gotten the main monster effects down before that, and then realized that there was nothing in the game really that alleviated one of the most glaring weaknesses of flip monsters, that being that they had no way to set themselves when Special Summoned. the effect i went with, while not perfect, ensures that however you choose to get them out, you have the option to utilize their flip effect.

• yeah, i agree, i wanted to do some more unique things with them, but i felt that with the total amount of things built into them (pendulum, Flip, & standard effect) it'd be better to just stick around normal plays, or risk messing up the deck. as it is, the flaws are still functional, and minor tweaks can prevent breaking them, going too far outfield might change that in unfavorable ways

i'll see about duel portal, but my free time is rather erratic atm. i agree about testing making them better though.

Archived