Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[DPR] Duelist Port Royal

Duel Portal Club DPR DPR Generics DPR Archetypes DPR Tournaments

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts
    Last Visit Today, 06:09 PM
  • Discord:CMEshai#4706

Some of my cards have been edited:

Saturated Rain-Bow Spell - Equip

Before:

You take no battle damage from a battle involving this card. The equipped monster can attack your opponent’s LPs directly. If the equipped monster would inflict battle damage, gain an equal amount of LPs instead. You can only control 1 “Desaturated Rainbow”.

After:

The equipped monster cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly. The equipped monster can attack directly. If the equipped monster would inflict battle damage, gain an equal amount of LP instead. You can only control 1 “Saturated Rain-Bow”.

More protection at the cost of protecting yourself. This also makes the card a lot better for lower attacking monsters, which is a nice bit of versatility to have, but it should still be balanced considering for the most part LPs don't mean much unless it's in large quantities. Also corrected a stupid OCG mistake, so there.

Scapekid EARTH - Level 1 - Beast/Effect - 0 ATK/0 DEF

Before:

After damage calculations, if an opponent's monster attacks or is attacked: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, Special Summon as many "Sheep Tokens" (Beast/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position as possible. They cannot be used as a material for the Special Summon of a monster unless you use this face-up card on the field as a material until the end of your next turn. You can only use this effect of “Scapekid” once per turn.

After:

When you take battle damage: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, Special Summon as many "Sheep Tokens" (Beast/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position as possible. They cannot be used as a material for the Special Summon of a monster unless you use this face-up card on the field as a material until the end of the next turn. You can only use this effect of “Scapekid” once per turn.

Pointless bits were removed, along with a confusing and pretty useless wording. It is a bit worse in this state though, so I made it if you only ever have to wait not as long to use your Tokens freely as materials.

Gargoyle of the Sanctuary EARTH - Level 4 - Fiend/Effect - 2000 ATK/1100 DEF

Before:

Neither player can add cards from the Deck to their hand, except by drawing them during the Draw Phase. If this card attacks, negate its effect until the end of your opponent’s next turn.

After:

If the turn player adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand, except by drawing them during the Draw Phase, for the rest of the turn, neither player can add a card(s) from their Deck to their hand. If this card attacks, negate its effect until the end of your opponent’s next turn.

Used to be a lot more like Thunder King Rai-Oh. Now it's more like Droll & Lock Bird. This also makes it so if you chain it's Special Summon to a search, they can still get that search. It also fixes an exploit it had with Disturbance Strategy that I felt would be contrived in its original form.

[background=transparent]Duelist Port Royal (link here):[/background][background=transparent] Will be making cards, archetypes, and hosting tournaments on the Duel-Portal. If you have good ideas, like creating card art, or you would just like to test your own cards in real gameplay on the Duel-Portal, feel free to PM me or contact us on the club page.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,067 posts
    Last Visit Today, 07:15 PM

Replies to Reviews

Monsters

Spell/Traps

Silly Slime sounds better with the nerf, yes. It demands the action of putting it on the field, and has potential outs to it outside of negating its effect. I like it much more.
Hmmm net gain of 1k LP instead of 1k loss, hadn't looked at it that way. Alright then xD

So Scapekid's current lore is:
You taking battle damage brings it out and floods the Tokens, and the Tokens' lingering effect is that they cannot be materials for anything, until that Scapekid is used too.

I have a suggestion, what if you worded the Tokens' lingering effect along the lines of "Sheep Tokens cannot be used as materials, unless Scapekid is used too"? So that if they get rid of Scapekid, you can Summon a new copy or revive the old one by other means or whatever, and use them, but every time a Token wants to be a material, you gotta use Scapekid with them (as opposed to using the specific Scapekid and unlocking the Tokens for whatever from then on, or getting permanently screwed if Scapekid gets taken care of).
I mean, both ways have their pros and cons, so this isn't a "fix" as much as it is just an idea thrown in.

Looking at how Gorz' giant body and giant Token don't usually stay long these days, I think Scapekid is either way fine nowadays, in modern IRL Yugioh that is.

It is cards like this one that make me wanna splash Token Sundae once in a while in a build.

Yes, I could try to cook up a Tribute Summon prompt. Sounds like fun xD

Argonaut:
I didn't misread the effect, but I did screw up my writing of the correction. IDK why I put on the "1 card you control to hand"... I meant to write that it returns itself as well xD

Yes hand traps are inherently good, but like, look at Konami's hand traps, they more or less seem like they replaced the need to use actual generic trap cards. It might also not be as easy as "no negation", Snow Rabbit doesn't really negate and it is pretty good, but can't say they can't exist either, we've had them since times of D.D. Crow and Kuriboh.

And I can't say I know what's "relevant". Is there a defined meta in Duel Portal I should know about, or what's more or less the highest tier you are testing these against?

Well it IS true Time Escaper isn't exactly seeing use at the moment, and this is more of a "protect my cards" kind of card rather than the kind that screws up the opponent's play, so alright.

Plague:
My complaint was not so much that it was "overpowered", but rather that it seems a little bland to me xD
It is pretty much a speed play for your hand, and not much else. So the suggestions I posted were not to make the card "balanced", as much as they were to give it variations of gameplay without making it too weak. Though yeah, at the end of the day they were just ideas thrown to the table to see if any were amusing enough to pick up. No real complaints.

Oh, but please don't put in a Maxx C-like interaction into this. If Maxx C becomes a need, that's more like a patch than anything, and I do hope this format doesn't reach that kind of speed where you fear the opponent drawing 10+ cards when they drop something like that.....

Madness Method:
Oh, ok. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Yeah, Sudden Cyclone had no complaints from me. I remember posting at the thread originally, though I more or less posted on it again here (sorry if it sounded like a complaint on the card, it wasn't meant as one). It does sound like a bit of a swiss knife, so I'd still keep an eye on it.

Oh, I was wondering what the change was between First and Second Rat. Thought one was a prototype for the other  and that the more nerfed-looking one was the final product xD
That's what happens when I don't properly read the comments (there were quite a few cards to visit, but yeah, my bad lol).

Lost and Found
I didn't originally catch that detail that the second add was in exchange for your turn's draw. That is more reasonable. I buy into the idea better.

Though it is still kind of a better Upstart Goblin.

IDK what the best method to balance it would be. I think having your opponent see the 5 banished cards and the cards and choose the first card rather than it being random, and have you next turn choose the second but in a way that lets your opponent know what it is you are adding, that's a potential extra drawback due to mild information giveaway. Just an idea.

Overdose on Destruction:
Err IDK. Deck thinning and GY setup is legit, and Dark Hole at 1. Your nuke is less helpful for aggressive plays post nuke, but is this really a card that can stay at 3 here? 

Saturated Rainbow:

I did mention no protection as a drawback it has, but I did not really suggest adding protection. Just felt like I needed to point that clarification here. I know some people at the card's thread did though. I more or less suggested the "gain as much LP as damage inflicted to any player in battles involving this card", and a "halve ATK for a direct hit" combo kit.

The "damage 0" would be about the same result canceling each other out (although not for all intents and purposes), and the card would offer offensive capabilities, because it is rare that a card that's 100% heal and wall, ages well. 

I think the idea of a healing theme is a wonderful one, and an archetype could be prompted for it.... but between Saturated Rainbow and Silly Slime, the chunks of +LP are a tad big with "my equipped monster's full ATK" and "+2000 LP". I think branching out the theme can really escalate quickly there. It is really my main concern. The other nitpicks are more secondary.

I'll reserve my judgment until I see the archetype though. Guess it's a "we'll tackle that when we get there" kind of thing.

Upstart Zombie: True enough I guess. To be fair, the suggestion was more "over-preparing" than anything else.

I covered less cards because I basically agree with a lot of points xP
This little exchange helps me get more up to date with what the cards are at the moment.

NOTE: This reply does not include the post right above. I'm gonna read that as soon as I post this comment. 

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,067 posts

Some of my cards have been edited:

Saturated Rain-Bow Spell - Equip

Before:

You take no battle damage from a battle involving this card. The equipped monster can attack your opponent’s LPs directly. If the equipped monster would inflict battle damage, gain an equal amount of LPs instead. You can only control 1 “Desaturated Rainbow”.

After:

The equipped monster cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly. The equipped monster can attack directly. If the equipped monster would inflict battle damage, gain an equal amount of LP instead. You can only control 1 “Saturated Rain-Bow”.

More protection at the cost of protecting yourself. This also makes the card a lot better for lower attacking monsters, which is a nice bit of versatility to have, but it should still be balanced considering for the most part LPs don't mean much unless it's in large quantities. Also corrected a stupid OCG mistake, so there.

Scapekid EARTH - Level 1 - Beast/Effect - 0 ATK/0 DEF

Before:

After damage calculations, if an opponent's monster attacks or is attacked: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, Special Summon as many "Sheep Tokens" (Beast/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position as possible. They cannot be used as a material for the Special Summon of a monster unless you use this face-up card on the field as a material until the end of your next turn. You can only use this effect of “Scapekid” once per turn.

After:

When you take battle damage: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, Special Summon as many "Sheep Tokens" (Beast/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position as possible. They cannot be used as a material for the Special Summon of a monster unless you use this face-up card on the field as a material until the end of the next turn. You can only use this effect of “Scapekid” once per turn.

Pointless bits were removed, along with a confusing and pretty useless wording. It is a bit worse in this state though, so I made it if you only ever have to wait not as long to use your Tokens freely as materials.

Gargoyle of the Sanctuary EARTH - Level 4 - Fiend/Effect - 2000 ATK/1100 DEF

Before:

Neither player can add cards from the Deck to their hand, except by drawing them during the Draw Phase. If this card attacks, negate its effect until the end of your opponent’s next turn.

After:

If the turn player adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand, except by drawing them during the Draw Phase, for the rest of the turn, neither player can add a card(s) from their Deck to their hand. If this card attacks, negate its effect until the end of your opponent’s next turn.

Used to be a lot more like Thunder King Rai-Oh. Now it's more like Droll & Lock Bird. This also makes it so if you chain it's Special Summon to a search, they can still get that search. It also fixes an exploit it had with Disturbance Strategy that I felt would be contrived in its original form.

I think Saturated Rainbow gained a good quality here. Before it was just a +LP anti-OTK potential -2 play.

The uptake would be either suggesting protection or suggesting an offensive trait of sorts. It now has the former.

I like it. Maybe, if you equip it to a monster that prevents your opponent from attacking anything but itself, this could maybe be a soft-lock?

Gargoyle has a nice change. It lets search exist, but it doesn't let it go overboard, and the other good traits it already had all still remain.

Scapekid probably needs a comma before "after the end of the next turn". I feel like the sentence running off like that is what makes it a little weird.

Other than that, no real objections to it. I suggested something in my post above, but it doesn't really mean I don't also agree with how it sounds at the moment. 

Overall I like the update.

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,067 posts

Hmmm what are your thoughts on the concept of a Tribute Summon support archetype?
Something like reverse-Monarchs. Instead of being big bulky bosses that trigger upon Tribute Summon, be it the fodder that triggers upon usage for certain Tribute Summons.

My Magic Pea card was a sort of prototype for this idea, though the idea for THIS thread that I wanted to pitch was that of fodder for the Tribute Summon of vanillas of certain Type/Attributes (or depending on the card, vanillas in general).

Though I'm not sure if you'd even want vanillas to be a thing in this project, which means this pitched idea is still prone to change.

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

I LOVE Vanillas. Just make sure they have cool lore because cool lore. 

For starters, Level 4s with low ATK (not even 0) and 2500 DEF are apparently "balanced" so keep that in mind for defensive Normal Monsters. The ones with that high of DEF usually have a weakness, but not much of one so 2500 DEF should be fine. 

Second, I would focus on Fusion Continuum, the crazy Fusion Spell Black D'Sceptyr made, and Normal Support in itself. If you want to make Normal Monsters of higher calibers of competitive then I suggest making Normal Support, for example, a Instant Fusion + Unexpected Guy (Level 5 or lower restriction is probably better for the game than Level 4 or lower).

If anything I could just give free reign to those that want to use Normal Monster and let people use any of the Vanillas Konami made since there isn't much that can accomplish other than saving us the hassle of making them. 

If you're making just a Tribute Fodder archetype, I would start by considering a monster that requires 5 Tributes. Not sure on the requirements, but it just sounds like a bunch of fun to design around, like stacking up cards that reduce the amount of Tributes for a Tribute Summon, possibly even making it so you must Tribute 5 monsters for it's Tribute Summon but have a restriction so you can't even Tribute Summon it.

[background=transparent]Duelist Port Royal (link here):[/background][background=transparent] Will be making cards, archetypes, and hosting tournaments on the Duel-Portal. If you have good ideas, like creating card art, or you would just like to test your own cards in real gameplay on the Duel-Portal, feel free to PM me or contact us on the club page.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,067 posts

I LOVE Vanillas. Just make sure they have cool lore because cool lore. 

For starters, Level 4s with low ATK (not even 0) and 2500 DEF are apparently "balanced" so keep that in mind for defensive Normal Monsters. The ones with that high of DEF usually have a weakness, but not much of one so 2500 DEF should be fine. 

Second, I would focus on Fusion Continuum, the crazy Fusion Spell Black D'Sceptyr made, and Normal Support in itself. If you want to make Normal Monsters of higher calibers of competitive then I suggest making Normal Support, for example, a Instant Fusion + Unexpected Guy (Level 5 or lower restriction is probably better for the game than Level 4 or lower).

If anything I could just give free reign to those that want to use Normal Monster and let people use any of the Vanillas Konami made since there isn't much that can accomplish other than saving us the hassle of making them. 

If you're making just a Tribute Fodder archetype, I would start by considering a monster that requires 5 Tributes. Not sure on the requirements, but it just sounds like a bunch of fun to design around, like stacking up cards that reduce the amount of Tributes for a Tribute Summon, possibly even making it so you must Tribute 5 monsters for it's Tribute Summon but have a restriction so you can't even Tribute Summon it.

A big boss 5-Tribute monster could be made. Though I quote mostly to say that it's probably important not to go overboard with vanillas here. Like, that is mostly a prompt idea, and ideally we could test the idea with a single vanilla inclusion and have the effects revolve around that monster's traits (Type, Attribute, stats, subt-ypes, Level, name, etc). Being that my title here is more towards the generic-ish route, I'd mostly make generic-sounding effects that just happen to work better with the stats of a certain vanilla (or a small group of them). 

- - - -

I got the Extra Deck ideas. So I take it the current priority is targets for the Fusion Spells. Got it xD

- - - -

While I am already writing a post though, I'll pitch in another idea I thought was interesting, in case anybody likes it:
A reverse form of Legendary Ocean, where relatively functional low Level monsters (4 or less stars) can get their Levels boosted by Field Spells (or any other effect really), and have the monsters get an additional bonus effect for being Tribute Summoned (which can only happen when they get their stars raised in hand with these effects). The individual Level-modulation effects would take care flexibility for the sake of not bricking with high or low levels xD

- - - - 

Ok, I'll check through the list again and see if I can come up with Fusions ideas.

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Fukato

Fukato

"The Key to Destiny"

• Advanced Members
  • 513 posts
    Last Visit Today, 07:05 AM
  • Discord:Fukato#3541
Cometower Archetype: An archetype that consists of Level 4 Normal Monsters and utilizes Counter Trap Cards to negate stuff and bring them out. This is the new Counter Fairies, except they aren't, for they are LIGHT Rocks. They have Fusion Monsters that are basically "Guiding Ariadne" on larger bodies and more. Furthermore, their Counter Traps can force phase skips. They have only 1 Spell Card, a Field Spell Card because that is pretty much what every Archetype needs.

Also, do we have a form of "Terraforming"?

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

Cometower Archetype: An archetype that consists of Level 4 Normal Monsters and utilizes Counter Trap Cards to negate stuff and bring them out. This is the new Counter Fairies, except they aren't, for they are LIGHT Rocks. They have Fusion Monsters that are basically "Guiding Ariadne" on larger bodies and more. Furthermore, their Counter Traps can force phase skips. They have only 1 Spell Card, a Field Spell Card because that is pretty much what every Archetype needs.

You know, I feel those kind of cards would be better as to use generics, like Counter Traps that would otherwise be generic but has a mandatory effect to Special Summon a Level 4 or lower Normal Monster from your Deck, which makes it less generic. 

Also, do we have a form of "Terraforming"?

Not at the moment. Not sure if we need it though, since most the archetypes have a Field Spell and this would otherwise just increase the speed of the game. If we did make one though, I feel like it would be a Field Spell as well, so if any ideas there that are good then go ahead. As for restrictions it should search a Field Spell with a different name, and have a hard OPT. Possibly give it another effect that usually doesn't matter but might help if you use it a particular way. 

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Fukato

Fukato

"The Key to Destiny"

• Advanced Members
  • 513 posts
    Last Visit Today, 07:05 AM
  • Discord:Fukato#3541
Missing Period
Continuous Trap Card
Effect: Any cards banished on the field returns during the 2nd Standby Phase after the turn they were banished. Once per turn, if a card is activated that would destroy exactly 1 card on the field: You can banish 1 other card you control; the activated effect becomes "Banish 1 card on the field, except "Missing Period"".

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts
Well that's pretty cool.

I may make the first effect different though, since its interactions with Normal Spell/Traps that would be sent to the GY, but then you have something like Macro Cosmos.

I may make it only work on your monsters, but have it so the monsters that would be sent to your GY are banished instead. This would make it better since there hasn't been a Dimensional Fissure or Macro Cosmos in the DPR as of yet.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

Please welcome TOPsycho to the DPR! He’ll be an Archetype Designer. I’ll be adding him to the list.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

TOPsycho

TOPsycho

• Members
  • 90 posts
    Last Visit Jun 14 2018 12:35 PM
Hello, all! I am very thankful to be joining your group, and I hope I can live up to any expectations!

To start out slow, I'm going to post a card I think up a while ago. My specialty is gimmicks.

Anywho, the name isn't really important, but the effect I feel is very useful.

Phantasms of Spite
Normal Trap
Target 2 cards your opponent controls: destroy those cards, then Set this card to your opponent's side of the field, and if you do, this Set card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Only 1 "Phantasms of Spite" can be activated per turn.

There you go. It's basically a bigger, better MST, minus the from hand capabilities. But I thought about this card because we really don't have good traps nowadays. Everything is either archetype specific, major shutdown, or a Solemn. This card is something you could throw in any Deck and use, but it's balanced because your opponent gains control of it afterwards.

Please feel free to give any critiques!

Peace be upon you! I am TOPsycho, not-so-renowned creator of a few diverse Yu-Gi-Oh! Custom Cards and archetype. I personally love making new ideas and designs for Yugioh cards, so if you have a suggestion, I'd love to work with it, but if not, I'm sure I'll show you something else anyway! I try to make archetypes that have very unique gimmicks, special in-archetype abilities that other decks don't have. All in all, to those of you who frequent my topics, feel free to leave a like, comment, or anything else, and happy duels to you all!

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

So now I just realized how cool Cursed Equips + Union monsters are. Anyone have ideas for cool things they could do?

TOPsycho seems like an interesting concept. Not sure how I feel about giving your opponent removal of this caliber, but I think the protection effect is probably the most annoying since it can't be destroyed permanently, as in neither player can play around it with MST and such. I would change it to until the end of the turn.

Sample:

"Target 2 cards your opponent controls; destroy them, then Set this card to your opponent's field, and if you do, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects until the end of the turn." (underlined is OCG corrections)

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,067 posts

Welcome TOPsycho~

It is an interesting concept, but I think it might be a little bit on the broad side.

You more or less have a great excuse to hold on to a Cosmic Cyclone, which would end up as all in all a +0, but it is a powerful +0, fully chainable with cards that are useful outside of that single use.

You can also make it revolve around the ever so annoying sealing mechanic (as in, effects along the lines of "target set card(s) cannot activate while this is face-up").

The double-edge nature of it is interesting. I've never seen that kind of balancing factor before.

There could also be a lite version of this card that can only re-set itself on the opponent's side within the same column, and pops only 1 card... or maybe not because that'd probably be a dick move xD

Oh, I have another annoying combo I'd love to perform:
Destroy 2 cards with it, and set Starlight Road.

Possibilities are broad.

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

The "only if your opponent has an unoccupied slot in the same column" sounds actually pretty fun, since they could potentially chain that card to it immediately rather than later. Then making it destroy any card would be pretty balanced, since it is any card and it's generic. 

Might have to get both versions tested. 

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Krashkube

Krashkube

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 396 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:49 PM

If this is still on, i'd like to join

read at your own risk

TOPsycho

TOPsycho

• Members
  • 90 posts

Okay, so, I'm going to try this the right way? Anyway, new archetype concept, I'm not sure if it's been used before:

Equilux/Equinox Archetype

An archetype of EARTH/[Warrior/Spellcaster] monsters that have their true colours brought out by their Field Spells. One field spell changes your Equilux monsters to Light Attribute, and the other changes them to Dark (with effects to swap themselves during the end phase, like night and day). Each of the Main Deck Equilux monsters gain different effects depending on their Attribute; their 'Day' forms grant them immunity to battle, and a more aggressive or productive effect, while their 'Night' forms are more defensive and resourceful. Xyz monsters are a possible Extra Deck accessory, using the monsters with their LIGHT or DARK forms only as material. The main strategy would be resource control and using your different forms to outplay your opponent.

Thoughts?

Peace be upon you! I am TOPsycho, not-so-renowned creator of a few diverse Yu-Gi-Oh! Custom Cards and archetype. I personally love making new ideas and designs for Yugioh cards, so if you have a suggestion, I'd love to work with it, but if not, I'm sure I'll show you something else anyway! I try to make archetypes that have very unique gimmicks, special in-archetype abilities that other decks don't have. All in all, to those of you who frequent my topics, feel free to leave a like, comment, or anything else, and happy duels to you all!

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

Okay, so, I'm going to try this the right way? Anyway, new archetype concept, I'm not sure if it's been used before:

Equilux/Equinox Archetype

An archetype of EARTH/[Warrior/Spellcaster] monsters that have their true colours brought out by their Field Spells. One field spell changes your Equilux monsters to Light Attribute, and the other changes them to Dark (with effects to swap themselves during the end phase, like night and day). Each of the Main Deck Equilux monsters gain different effects depending on their Attribute; their 'Day' forms grant them immunity to battle, and a more aggressive or productive effect, while their 'Night' forms are more defensive and resourceful. Xyz monsters are a possible Extra Deck accessory, using the monsters with their LIGHT or DARK forms only as material. The main strategy would be resource control and using your different forms to outplay your opponent.

Thoughts?

So the point is to give different effects based on Attribute... seems cool, but having all of them have 2 effects they gain would probably make the text too long. 

Instead, I might make them all LIGHT and DARK, and have them gain effects or improve their original effects if they're the opposite Type. That way you can you half the amount of text there would usually be on the cards, you end up having more space for how the card is different from others in the archetype. 

Next, I wouldn't limit what kind of effects you get depending on which time of day it is. Instead, I would have tendencies, where you have pseudo-rules you can break if it gets to annoying to work around. 

DARK monsters could have some restrictions since it's they're sluggish since they're tired in the night, but when bathed with LIGHT can ignore said restrictions, or rather when becoming LIGHT they could have more consistency based effects.

LIGHT monsters could have more active effects, but making them DARK could make them more reactive, like turning them into Quick Effects or having one time effects that trigger again once their Attribute changes.

Finally, the name has to do with Seasons rather than the actual Day/Night relationship. How about the "Nightwatch"? If they're Warriors and Spellcasters, they could be guards on a tower taking shifts in and out of keeping the place in check. Possibly even make the relationship of Attribute be that their original Attribute is what time of the day they sleep. While they'd be less efficient in the wrong time of day, they could probably still do stuff lorewise.

I think all of these could help the archetype. Except the name. I might still do something with the name but there's probably even better names you could give the archetype. At least force people to understand the context of the archetype with the name you give it.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

TOPsycho

TOPsycho

• Members
  • 90 posts

So the point is to give different effects based on Attribute... seems cool, but having all of them have 2 effects they gain would probably make the text too long. 

Instead, I might make them all LIGHT and DARK, and have them gain effects or improve their original effects if they're the opposite Type. That way you can you half the amount of text there would usually be on the cards, you end up having more space for how the card is different from others in the archetype. 

Next, I wouldn't limit what kind of effects you get depending on which time of day it is. Instead, I would have tendencies, where you have pseudo-rules you can break if it gets to annoying to work around. 

DARK monsters could have some restrictions since it's they're sluggish since they're tired in the night, but when bathed with LIGHT can ignore said restrictions, or rather when becoming LIGHT they could have more consistency based effects.

LIGHT monsters could have more active effects, but making them DARK could make them more reactive, like turning them into Quick Effects or having one time effects that trigger again once their Attribute changes.

Finally, the name has to do with Seasons rather than the actual Day/Night relationship. How about the "Nightwatch"? If they're Warriors and Spellcasters, they could be guards on a tower taking shifts in and out of keeping the place in check. Possibly even make the relationship of Attribute be that their original Attribute is what time of the day they sleep. While they'd be less efficient in the wrong time of day, they could probably still do stuff lorewise.

I think all of these could help the archetype. Except the name. I might still do something with the name but there's probably even better names you could give the archetype. At least force people to understand the context of the archetype with the name you give it.

Well, the way I was thinking is that each would have a short, unique effect based on the Attribute. Example:

Equilux Starfire

EARTH/Warrior

Lv4 Effect 1500/1500

This card gains the following effects based on its Attribute:

*LIGHT: This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: you can target 1 "Equilux" monster you control (Quick Effect); it gains 500 ATK until the end of this turn.

*DARK: This card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn: you can target 1 "Equilux" monster you control (Quick Effect); it gains 500 DEF until the end of this turn.

This is what I pictured for the archetype. Being able to switch from aggressive to defensive. I don't think that the effects take up too much space, there are definitely wordier cards. But it's just a thought.

As for the name, I chose Equilux because it literally means "equal day". Yeah, Equinox is technically a seasonal thing, but that's purely coincidental. It's called an equinox because they night is equal to the day, and it's why I chose to use a switch between LIGHT and DARK. Each is equally in its own way. But anyways, thank you for the critique

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

For starters, save any opposite effects for perhaps a boss monster. 

As for the card itself, relying on a Field Spell just to get effects isn't the best idea. Just makes the archetype a lot less consistent for no reason. Having at least 1 effect that can activate no matter the Attribute and then increasing the output of the effect is not only more realistic, but more fun in a gameplay sense.

Sample:

Nightwatch Flashlight

LIGHT - Level 4 - Spellcaster/Effect - 1600 ATK/1000 DEF

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Nightwatch" monster from your hand, and if you do, all monsters you control become LIGHT monsters. If this card is treated as a DARK monster, you can Special Summon 1 "Nightwatch" monster from your Deck instead.

Good on its own, but more useful if you made it a DARK monster first. It also can make the DARK monster you Summon into a LIGHT monster, enabling it for further plays. The Attribute change is also something you have to keep in mind since if you do things in the wrong order you might not be able to use your effects in the way you want.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users