JamesMuddy's Custom Classic

JessicaMuddy

Let's take things back to basics with a simple little card contest! I'm feeling generous, so the entry is free and the pot will come from my points :D

Theme

Make a boss monster that looks like it came from the DM era! Meaning Fusion/Ritual/Effect/Normal, but nothing else (as they don't exist yet). You can make a stand alone monster, or legacy support, if you wanted. Ritual monsters will require a Ritual Spell too.

Deadline

Deadline will be the 22nd of October at 11:59pm. Victoria, Australia time (GMT +10).

Prizes

1st Place: 5555 points

2nd Place: 3333 points

3rd Place: 1111 points

Pity Point (Last Place): 1 point

Sounds good, eh? I'm giving away 10000 points!

Criteria

My criteria will be as follows:

Usability of the card/How good the card is: Scored out of 20 points.

Flavour of the card/Creativity: Scored out of 15 points.

OCG: Scored out of 2 points. (If I can understand it, that's 1 point, if it's perfect OCG that's 2 points)

In total, the score will be out of 37.

Participants

• Eshai
  • Reptilious
  • ShimoHkun1
  • Burklight
  • Hansel & Gretel
  • Cheewei27
  • Dtwist11
  • Striker
  • Amoire

Red-Eyes Black Dragon Knight

Level 8/DARK/Dragon/Fusion

3000/2400

Lore:

1 Level 7 Red-Eyes monster + 1 Warrior-type monster

This card can only be Special Summoned by Fusion Summon or by its own effect. You can also Special Summon this card by banishing the above cards you control (you do not use Polymerization) This card is treated as a Warrior-type monster while face up on the field or in the GY. All Red-Eyes monsters in your GY are also treated as Warrior-type in addition to their original type. When a Red-Eyes monster you control is equipped with an equip card, you can select one random card in your opponent's hand: Banish it while that equip card is on the field.

Sort of a way to combine old and new Red-Eyes support and stuff.

Here is my entry:

7cZgo3c.png

[spoiler=Lore]This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by Tributing 1 Spirit monster you control. This card gains 300 ATK for each Spirit monster in your GY. Cannot be targeted by card effects while you control another Spirit monster. You can Normal Summon/Set Level 5 or higher Spirit monsters without Tributing. Spirit monsters you control do not have to have their effects that return them to the hand activated. During the End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned this turn: Return it to the hand. You can only control 1 "Izanagi-no-Okami".

To put it simply, Izanagi is a boss monster you want on the field ASAP and you want to keep him on the field.

He fixes a lot of Spirit monsters' problems and the whole deck will revolve around him to generate and keep advantage.

[spoiler=Design Notes]

• Purpose is to act as a boss monster that you want to keep on the field.
  • Acts as a growing beater to overpower opponents.
  • Preserves itself if there are other Spirits on the field.
  • Enables easier summons of high-cost Spirit monsters (Kagutsuchi and Amaterasu).
  • Made it a Spirit monster in order to combo with Nikitama, Aratama, and other Spirit support.
  • Considered omitting the ATK gain, but since it's a boss, I figured it fitting.
  • Summon condition somewhat easy to keep up with current pace of duels--also because of Spirit monsters' lack of power.
  • Returns to the hand to keep with Spirit theme. Becomes optional due to its own effect, leading to more strategies. An example is if you set Amaterasu and don't want him being banished.

[spoiler=Flavor Notes]

• Summon condition & ATK boost were a reference to older bosses like Neo-Daedalus, Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon, and Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon; you have to tribute a certain monster (and the ATK gain was taken directly from the older dragons).
  • An improved version of Izanagi, having the same ATK/DEF, Attribute, and Type as the original (like REDD and BESD).
  • Name is reference to Persona 4, with the upgraded Izanagi becoming Izanagi no Okami.
  • Enables summons of other Spirit monsters because he, along with Izanami, is the origin of other gods (in Shinto myth).

[spoiler=Entry]

lizBnog.png

"You can Ritual Summon this card with "Ashes to Ashes". During your End Phase, except for the turn this card was destroyed: You can Trbiute 1 monster you control; Special Summon this card from your GY in Attack Position. When this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: Destroy all monsters on the field."

xJDX3QU.png

"This card is used to Ritual Summon "Phyrex, Immolation of Cataclysm". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 10 or more. During your opponent's Standby Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; Destroy a face-up FIRE monster you control, then add 1 FIRE monster from your GY to your hand with less ATK than the destroyed monster."

hey james. sorry for late. seriously busy working these few day. hope you accept my entry.

Divine / Divine-Beast / Lvl 12

Fusion / ATK 0 / DEF 0

3 Divine-Beast monster with different name
Must be Fusion Summon and cannot be Special Summon by any others way. When this card is summoned; Special Summon 1 "Holactie the Creator of Light" from your hand, deck or GY, ignore its Summoning Condition.

pLUyOw2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everybody, here are the results. I really liked some of these cards, they were very cool.

[spoiler= ShimoKun1 – Red-Eyes Black Dragon Knight]

Usability of the card/How good the card is: 3000 ATK is nothing to sneeze at, and this card definitely has the effects to put up a fight. The banish upon equipping effect is rather good in my opinion, not busted, and definitely has its uses. I understand that turning things into Warrior-Types is mostly for flavour, but it does not do anything useful other than enabling The Warrior Returning Alive. In addition, due to the wording, this card is only treated as a Warrior-Type, not also Warrior-Type. At least the Fusion Materials are rather simple and easy to make up in a Red-Eyes Deck, since they’ll probably already be in there.
Oh! Almost forgot about the Contact Fusion part. Neat.
17/20

Flavour of the card/Creativity: Red-Eyes Slash Dragon already exists, but I suppose that was made for the modern era and not DM era. Anywho, this card fits Joey and his Deck VERY well, just as well as it fits the DM era. Also, it works in terms of Equip Spells and Warrior-Types (Joey’s two main gimmicks).
13/15

OCG: Forgot “” on Polymerization, also, Equip needs to be capitalized. Otherwise quite good.
1/2

Total: 31/37 or 84%

[spoiler=Armoire – Izanagi-No-Okami]

Usability of the card/How good the card is: It’s good. Like, really good. It’s the card Spirits need AND deserve. I like all of its elements, however there is one small problem that I feel makes this card a little too powerful. This card doesn’t have to return to the hand, ever. Meaning the whole gimmick of Spirits is completely useless. If this card returned to the hand. But other Spirits didn’t, then it’d really be something, because it’d be a boss you keep having to bring out, then lose at the end of the turn, like a true Spirit monster.
That being said, I did read your design notes and see that you addressed this, and I can understand why you did what you did.
19/20

Flavour of the card/Creativity: All some very cool flavour. I can tell lots of effort went into creating this. And there isn’t really an overarching Spirit monster boss like this, so it’s unique. However, in terms of its power, I would say it is just a bit too much for DM era.
14/15

OCG: As far as I can tell, perfect.
2/2

Total: 35/37 or 94.5%

[spoiler=Reptilious – Phyrex, Immolation of Cataclysm/Ashes to Ashes]

Usability of the card/How good the card is: The synergy with this thing and Fire Kings is electric. I love it. From the effects of the monster and spell to the art, it just screams Fire Kings. Both its revival effect and board wipe effect are simple, yet great, and having 3100 ATK lets it get over things in battle when it can’t with effects. The spell’s secondary effect is good to, letting you set off a Fire King’s effect and recycling another FIRE monster. A very neat pair of cards, and having the monster being Level 10 makes it more of a challenge to bring out, which balances it well, in my opinion.
20/20

Flavour of the card/Creativity: My first thought when grading this part is “This card feels uninspired”. Not that you did not put effort into making it, but the monster is pretty much just a slight variant of Garunix. Additionally spells having GY effects was unheard of in DM era. Nevertheless, cool looking in terms of art, so that is a plus.
12/15

OCG: Pretty flamin’ good.
2/2

Total: 34/37 or 92%

[spoiler=Burklight – Crusader Templar]

Usability of the card/How good the card is: It’s good as a beatstick, which is its whole purpose. Therefore, it does its job, which is nice. However, DM era already had Dark Necrofear, a DARK Fiend that requires 3 Fiends to be banished in order to Special Summon it, and unfortunately for you, it has a far better effect, what with being able to take control of your opponent’s monsters.

That being said, this doesn’t lose its ATK gain at the end of the turn, so it has the ability to keep on gaining ATK as long as you feed it Fiends, which is cool.
14/20

Flavour of the card/Creativity: There’s not really much to say here, though I will comment that this monster definitely feels like the boss of a minor DM era villain, or even a major one like Bakura during the Battle City arc of something.
13/15

OCG: It makes sense, but there are some errors here and there, like missing a full stop at he end of the effect, and only writing “Cannot be Normal Summoned” instead of “Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set”. Unless you want it to be able to be set.
1/2

Total: 28/37 or 75%

[spoiler=Cheewei27 – Nameless Pharaoh]

Usability of the card/How good the card is: First, I’d just like to say that I like that it requires 3 Divine-Beasts and not the three specific God cards, and that they don’t all have to be on the field. That’s good, since it allows this to be played in a Ra Deck or something. Now, onto the one glaring negative of this card. Its Summon and effect can be negated. Any of the “Solemn” trap card or cards like Skill Drain can make this thing useless. You could go through all of the effort of Summoning this, only to have it be taken down by a simple trap.
12/20

Flavour of the card/Creativity: The name, Summoning Conditions, and effect all work great together, and makes sense. In addition, I could have definitely seen the Pharaoh playing this against some super boss at some point (in the manga, not the anime, not that that’s a bad thing).
14/15

OCG: It’s readable, but there are something missing, like capitalization in a few places.
1/2

Total: 27/37 or 73%

Cangratulations everybody on your scores, it was very close between first and second place! Now, the ranking.

[spoiler=Ranking]

1st Place: Armoire

Your card was very good, from flavour to effects. You deserve 1st place. 5555 points!

2nd Place: Reptilious

A neat pair of cards that work pretty well with my boys the Fire Kings. Can't not love them. 3333 points for you!

3rd Place: ShimoKun1

A very solid card, but it just isn't as good as the top two. I enjoyed it, however. 1111 points coming your way.

4th Place: Burklight

It fit the era, but unfortunately just isn't as good as the top three. Good job though, especially if this is the first YCM contest you'ver entered.

5th Place: Cheewei27

This card would have been quite good if it didn't have that one glaring issue. Nevertheless, you get a single pity point.

Thank you all for competing in JamesMuddy's Custom Classic! The points will be coming your way soon. If any of you would like to dispute your scores, feel free.

Archived