Question about making cards based off of other member's cards

I Hate Snatch Steal

Question

With all the plagiarism going on lately, I thought I'd ask if its ok to make a card based closely on someone else's idea assuming that you put effort into your own version, somewhat like what rule 9 here says for retrains of anime/ocg/tcg cards: https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321479-ycm-advanced-card-designs-rules-updated-732017/

Would you need to change the name and art too or just put effort into your version?

Another idea would be waiting until the other member's thread has passed the bump/repost date

All of this is assuming you put effort into your own version

1 answer to this question

With all the plagiarism going on lately, I thought I'd ask if its ok to make a card based closely on someone else's idea assuming that you put effort into your own version, somewhat like what rule 9 here says for retrains of anime/ocg/tcg cards: https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321479-ycm-advanced-card-designs-rules-updated-732017/

Would you need to change the name and art too or just put effort into your version?

Another idea would be waiting until the other member's thread has passed the bump/repost date

All of this is assuming you put effort into your own version

In the case of copying other member's works, unless you have gotten their express permission to do so, you may not make a clone of it. However, it's fine to make a card INSPIRED by it and just note it below. You would have to make significant changes to call it your own work.

But in all fairness, you shouldn't be ripping off member's works, word for word. The last 20 or so threads that I had to crack down on in the last few days were quite literally copy-pastes (of Eshai, Thomas Zero and ABC_GUN; possibly more). Yeah, one of them even had the audacity to rip off the CC Monthly thread and only modify the point values.

====

With that being said though, it appears that this is a repeat offender (as in a member who was penalized a long time ago for doing pretty much the same thing; well, the names are definitely similar too). There is no issue with you posting works in Custom Cards, but it is an issue if you blatantly plagiarize another member's cards and call it your own (not to mention any OCG fixes that you did not make either).

====

While I will deal with these users as quickly as possible (given time constraints, as I do have other things I need to be doing instead of shooting down bots), your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Therefore, continue to report these threads and either myself or Yui/Zai (or another moderator) will handle the matter accordingly. For those of you who have already done this, thank you.

Archived