Superstition

LordCowCowCowCowCowCowCowCow

With Friday the 13th coming up I figured this could be a fun topic. What do you think of the idea of superstitions? Do you believe in any? And what do you feel about the things people do because of them? Are they valid in any sense?

Basically discuss superstitions and their effect on people.

And please no mocking others in the thread.

When I hear or read the word superstition/superstitious, a few songs ("Life" from Des'ree, and "Livin' la vida loca" from Ricky Martin) pop into my head… but that wasn't the question.

Actions and their consequences –according superstition– hardly seem to have a connection with one another. Therefore I don't believe in (most) superstitions. Though I do tend to bring up superatitions when someone does something related to it.

There are however some things I try to avoid for other reasons. Putting your shoes on the table isn't very tidy, you can get nasty cuts from breaking a mirror, and opening umbrella's indoors is somewhat pointless.

When I hear or read the word superstition/superstitious, a few songs ("Life" from Des'ree, and "Livin' la vida loca" from Ricky Martin) pop into my head… but that wasn't the question.

How can you name these as examples but ignore the song.

When I was younger I would exclusively shower at around midnight for whatever reason, I still do but it's harder now with an adult schedule.

My aunt was staying over one night thus noticing the demonic behavior and promptly spooped me with her superstitious rhetoric. 

Apparently according to some middle eastern housewife mythos people who shower at midnight are demonic in nature and are guided to the water by the demons. Or more aptly Jinn's.

The other part of it was if you look into a mirror exactly when it turns to midnight you'll be trapped in the mirror and your reflection takes your place and because it's an exact copy of you, you'll just walk away assuming nothing happened. But you're actually in the mirror. Spoopy. 

When I was younger I would exclusively shower at around midnight for whatever reason, I still do but it's harder now with an adult schedule.

My aunt was staying over one night thus noticing the demonic behavior and promptly spooped me with her superstitious rhetoric. 

Apparently according to some middle eastern housewife mythos people who shower at midnight are demonic in nature and are guided to the water by the demons. Or more aptly Jinn's.

The other part of it was if you look into a mirror exactly when it turns to midnight you'll be trapped in the mirror and your reflection takes your place and because it's an exact copy of you, you'll just walk away assuming nothing happened. But you're actually in the mirror. Spoopy. 

Are you certain you're NOT a demon?

I believe that if I don't look at the phone screen when I roll, the chance of me getting a rare unit increases tenfold. This must be done until the roll is fully complete, otherwise the magic breaks and the unit I get will be completely sheet.

I believe that luck lasts for an entire day, and if I don't roll well or get a long unlucky streak, I shouldn't roll for the rest of the day.

I believe that I can change the next music to be played in my phone when it's in shuffle by wishing hard enough.

I believe that my personal despair actually affect my rolls. The more I despaired at my failings, the bigger the chance I'll get what I want. But if I pretend to despair at my sheet rolls I'll continue getting sheet. So basically it only works if I really want something but the game conspired against me before I could get it.

I believe that a small happy dance would increase my chance in rolling a good unit. I believe that certain dates have their luck, but I don't believe rolling at midnight gives you anything good (tried a few times, got complete sheet).

funk, I'll believe anything if it can give me better rolls in these damn games.

I believe that if I don't look at the phone screen when I roll, the chance of me getting a rare unit increases tenfold. This must be done until the roll is fully complete, otherwise the magic breaks and the unit I get will be completely sheet.

It's the opposite for me. Unless I keep my eye glued to the screen and watch every single goddamn roll animation, a rare servant could just slip away before I notice.

I do this with both Heroes and in Nuzlockes.

Wonder Trade, random encounter, just try to identify it by noise or outright mute it and hope for the best.

It's dumb, but shrug.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but in Overwatch I always make an effort to trash the spawn rooms 100% before a match starts.

For luck.

Oh hey, I do that, too. Not for luck, but mostly because I'm bored waiting there and destroying the monitors, panels, and other stuff seemed like fun.

My superstition is not to say stuff like "What's the worst that could happen" or anything like that.

The ones my family always followed were saying "Rabbit rabbit" first-thing on the first day of the month to bring you good luck and not opening umbrellas indoors.

For my own, I'll always intensely stare at the pokéball as it's rolling, particularly if it's a hard catch. Catching pokémon's serious business.

I used to hold A for every ball I threw, but realized that was silly and didn't accomplish anything.

For my own, I'll always intensely stare at the pokéball as it's rolling, particularly if it's a hard catch. Catching pokémon's serious business.

I used to hold A for every ball I threw, but realized that was silly and didn't accomplish anything.

Kind of like how I'd tap the A button about every moment the ball would move.

Also, sometimes I'd walk trying to avoid cracks. Not for any particular reason. Just something fun like kicking a pebble across the sidewalk while you walk.

I, personally, speaking as acclaimed writer and director M. Night Shyamalan, known for such classics as "Stuart Little" (1999) and "Devil" (2010), have always felt that the only, and I mean ONLY, way for a movie to succeed is to record every scene on a LeapFrog Leapster in addition to conventional recording equipment. I have a Leapster for every single one of my critically acclaimed smash hits, from "Praying with Anger" (1992) to "Split" (2016).

Archived