Banlist Proposal ( My Ideas )

These are the changes I would make to the banlist. I wanted to focus on what cards could come off, rather than what cards I would place on it. Spyrals deserve their chance in the sunlight. All my reasoning is below the list, and errata's are stated as I think they should be placed. Please tell me your thoughts below

Newly Unlimited

• Magical Scientist

• Substitoad

• The Tyrant Neptune

• Denglong, First of the Yang Zing

• Daigusto Emeral

• Butterfly Dagger - Elma

• Mass Driver

• Artifact Moralltach

• Genex Ally Birdman

• Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

• Ritual Beast Ulti-Cannahawk

• Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier

• Divine Wind of Mist Valley

• Future Fusion

• Gateway of the Six

• Mind Control

• Saqlifice

• Atlantean Dragoons

• Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

• Card trooper

• Luster Pendulum, the Dracoslayer

• Mathematician

• Necroface

• Wind of Magician

• Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

• T.G. Hyper Librarian

• Brain Control

• Burial From a Different Dimension

• Chain Strike

• El Shaddoll Fusion

• Preparation of Rites

• Ceasefire

• Ojama Trio

• Luster Pendulum, the Dracoslayer

Newly Limited

• El Shaddoll Construct

• Elemental Hero - Stratos

• Tribe-Infecting Virus

• Evilswarm Exciton Knight

Newly Unlimited

1. Magical Scientist

Original card text

“Pay 1000 Life Points to Special Summon 1 level 6 or lower Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck in face-up Attack or Defense Position. That Fusion Monster cannot attack your opponent's Life Points directly, and is returned to your Extra Deck at the end of the turn.”

Errata Idea

“Pay 1000 Life Points to Special Summon 1 level 6 or lower Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck in face-up Attack or Defense Position. That Fusion Monster cannot attack your opponent's Life Points directly, and is returned to your Extra Deck at the end of the turn. You can only activate the effect of “Magical Scientist” once per turn.”

Part of an FTK, named after himself, along with catapult turtle. No longer nearly as good, and a hard once per turn will ensure meta irrelevance

• Substitoad

Original card text

“You can Tribute 1 monster to Special Summon 1 “Frog” monster from your deck. “Frog” monsters cannot be destroyed by battle”

Errata Idea

“You can Tribute 1 monster to Special Summon 1 “Frog” monster from your deck. “Frog” monsters cannot be destroyed by battle. You can only activate the effect of “Substitoad” once per turn.”

Part of an FTK involving Mass Driver, with a hard once per turn, that would no longer become a problem, and only allows for consistency and protection

• The Tyrant Neptune

Original card text

Cannot be Special Summoned. You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 monster. This card gains the total original ATK and DEF of the monster(s) Tributed for its Tribute Summon. When this card is Tribute Summoned: Target 1 Effect Monster in the Graveyard that was Tributed for the Tribute Summon; this card's name becomes that target's name, and this card gains that target's effects.

Errata

Cannot be Special Summoned. You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 Main Deck monster. This card gains the total original ATK and DEF of the monster(s) Tributed for its Tribute Summon. When this card is Tribute Summoned: Target 1 Effect Monster in the Graveyard that was Tributed for the Tribute Summon; this card's name becomes that target's name, and this card gains that target's effects.

This card was banned due to its synergy with the level 1 lyrlisc, which allowed you to tribute it, summon neptune, then burn 5000 damage, which is an easy and powerful combo. This should fix that

• Denglong, First of the Yang Zing

Original Summoning Condition

“1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters”

Errata Idea

“1 “Yang Zing” Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner “Yang Zing” monsters”

IMO, this is fair in YANG ZINGS, not dinos though, which is where it saw a lot of play before it got banned, with a summoning condition change, you can no longer summon it off of aeleo and any level 4 dino

• Daigusto Emeral

“2 Level 4 monsters”

Errata Idea

“2 Level 4 “Gusto” monsters”

This guy is part of an archetype, the gusto one, so I thought this would be appropriate, given that his OP nature comes from the fact that every other deck can abuse his mechanics

• Butterfly Dagger - Elma

•  

Original card text

“The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard while equipped: You can return this card to the hand.”

Errata Idea

“The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard while equipped: You can return this card to the hand. You can only activate 1 “Butterfly Dagger Elma” per turn.”

Part of an FTK involving gearfried and royal magical library. Even at 3, with a hard once per turn, you wouldn’t be able to draw more than 1 card per turn, in extremely specific circumstances

• Mass Driver

Original card text

“Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field to inflict 400 points of damage to your opponent’s Life Points.”

Errata Idea

“Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field to inflict 400 points of damage to your opponent’s Life Points. You can only tribute up to 3 monsters per turn with the effect of “Mass Driver”.

The other half of the frog FTK, a hard once per turn is simple, but too harsh, so I changed it as so

• Artifact Moralltach

This card is just fine IMO, it should already be at 3

• Genex Ally Birdman

Original card text

“If this card is in your hand: You can return 1 face-up monster you control to the hand: Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, also it gains 500 ATK if the returned monster was WIND on the field.”

Errata Idea

“If this card is in your hand: You can return 1 face-up “Genex”, “R-Genex”, or “Genex Ally” monster you control to the hand: Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, also it gains 500 ATK if the returned monster was WIND on the field.”

Limited because of FTK style loops in which you could keep bouncing cards back to your hand. An archetype lock is an easy fix for that

• Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

This is another card which, IMO, is so slow in today’s format, that it should be at 3 already

• Ritual Beast Ulti-Cannahawk

The OCG already has this card at 3, and it has no problems. I personally think the same could happen here as well

• Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier

•  

“1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WATER monsters”

Errata Idea

“1 “Ice Barrier” Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner “Ice Barrier” WATER monsters”

Banned because of it’s infamous power in FTK loops. Archetype locking is the easiest answer to limit its power

• Divine Wind of Mist Valley

•  

Original card text

“Once per turn, if a WIND monster you control returns to the hand ( except during the Damage Step ): You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower WIND monster from your Deck.”

Errata Idea

“Once per turn, if a WIND type “Mist Valley” monster you control returns to the hand ( except during the Damage Step ): You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower WIND type “Mist Valley” monster from your Deck.”

Limited due to the advantage other archetypes could get out of it through using bounce mechanics *birdman for example* and locking to it’s own archetype is the best solution IMO

• Future Fusion

This card is soooooo slooooow. No archetype can reasonably use this given the speed of the game

• Gateway of the Six

Just like cannahawk, six sams don’t have meta relevance, and aren’t relevant in the ocg even with 3 gateway. Giving this back would only make them happy, not tier 0

• Mind Control

•  

Original card text

“Target 1 monster your opponent controls; until the End Phase, take control of that target, but it cannot declare an attack or be Tributed.”

Errata Idea

“Target 1 monster your opponent controls; until the End Phase, take control of that target, but it cannot declare an attack or be Tributed, or be used as Xyz, Fusion, Synchro, Ritual, or Link material.”

The thing that makes this card nice is the fact that you can summon extra deck or other monsters with the monster you steal, making it more op than brain control. Changed to fit a more fair removal for 1 turn

• Saqlifice

Another card from a non meta archetype that used to be broken. At 3 in the ocg, with even more cards than us, with no problems

• Atlantean Dragoons

• Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

• Card trooper

• Luster Pendulum, The Dracoslayer

• Mathematician

• Necroface

• Wind up Magician

• Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

• T.G. Hyper Librarian

• Brain Control

• Burial From a Different Dimension

• Chain Strike

• El Shaddoll Fusion

• Preparation of Rites

• Ceasefire

• Ojama Trio

Personally, I don’t think the semi limited list does much in terms of balancing the game. Most, to nearly all of the cards on here would be just fine at 3. This list is pretty much the waiting list for the next list so they can come back to 3, mainly because they are fine enough to come back from 0, to 1, then to 2, and still pose no meta problems to the game. If a card is too powerful, it should be put to 1, then to 0 if it is still a big problem in the game. If it is not a big enough problem then it should be left at 3 and a different card should be hit.

Newly Limited

• El Shaddoll Construct

• Elemental Hero - Stratos

These cards have been banned for FAR too long, and their meta prevalence, whilst good, is past its prime, given the meta ( spyral shenanigans, vs these )

• Tribe-Infecting Virus

Old card, slow card, not nearly as good as it used to be, fine at LEAST at 1

• Evilswarm Exciton Knight

Unless the reprint was an accident, I think this card should come back. Plus with Struggling battle, I mean “Evenly Matched” ( I don’t like that name change much ) giving us a way more busted removal just like this guy with far less interruption chance, he’s not much in comparison. At least back to 1 for this ol guy.

My oponion on your erratas:

• Magical Scientist: Fine and necessary a hard OPT would prevent this card be abused and can still be used for Exta Deck Summons but not by itself anymore (except links though)

• Substitoad: Again, a hard OPT fix problem cards and most of them could be out of the banlist with one

• The Tyrant Neptune: This should stay banned, its a card that wont be used outside of those kinds of interaction, errata on this is pointles

• Denglong, First of the Yang Zing: Agree, YZ need this and should be the only ones wh can use it

• Daigusto Emeral: With all due respect this seems stupid, gustos cannot even make that often, they are more synchro oriented despite having a few Xyzs

• Butterfly Dagger - Elma: hard OPT = out of the banlist

• Mass Driver: This should stay banned just because its a really awfull card by itslef with or without the errata

• Genex Ally Birdman: If Loops is what you are afraid then a hard OPT is enough, the archtype were it belongs is really bad so it has its best use outside of it, its different when a card is good as its archtype and its abused in a more OP deck.

• Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier: Same as birdman, dont need to tie it to an archtype than cant even summon its synchro monsters in a consistent form, not that most poeple will still use 1 anyway, doesnt need to be errated at 1 is fine.

• Divine Wind of Mist Valley: Locking a good card into its own archtype is not a solution if the archtype is bad, denlong is a different case because its a really good (if not OP) card in good archtype, that restriction makes sense, this doesnt

• Mind Control: No, just no; brain control got nerfed and it wont be played ever again, not only that, the only "use" this card can have just filling an empty zone, at best taking control of a link monster that has proxy dragon arrows, card is at 2-3 in OCG and its just a side tech at most

As for the non errated cards (only thoughts on the ones i dont agree):

• Atlantean Dragoons: Not hard OPT, WATER decks Otk just with 2, they dont deserve the 3rd

• Card trooper: Machine duplcation shenanigans, thats the reason its still at 2 and will stay that way

• Luster Pendulum, The Dracoslayer: 2 should be the right number for this, but i dont really mind it at 3 though

• Necroface: Personal hate for decks revolving around this card doesnt let me agree with this

• T.G. Hyper Librarian; With the new Cryston Revealed hyper synchro decks might gain playability again, i didnt like the card at more than 1 copy even with MR4

• Chain Strike: Burn decks dont deserve any kind of help

• Preparation of Rites: Too generic to be unlimited, if anything i think pre-prep will follow this card (not now but eventually)

Please don't do that to Daigusto Emeral. I might make it WIND monsters but I REALLY like it being generic just for the lols. Really loved that card and really wish it was given back to us.

It might be a little too harsh in hindsight, it could definitely be a better fit as "2 Level 4 WIND monsters" rather than Gusto, much like that of Lightning Chidori 

Errataing cards that are only limited seems like a very bad idea. Cards like Genex Ally Birdman are still used in random so preventing those decks from using 1 copy just so Genex can have it back at 3 would make a lot of people upset.

that actually is a very good point, reminds me of the synergies that I used to see between emeral and neo spacians. What people would do is go summoner monk, into prisma, use his effect to dump neos, then summon emeral to summon back that neos. I'll remember that for the future

Archived