Ask Hansel & Gretel

The Frost King

Why do you wish to destroy me, young one?

"To keep it simple, I have a grudge towards all monsters because of a certain past event. If you want to know the story, just ask. . .but nothing you say will change my mind towards monsters."

Where is little red girl?

"She is on the way and will be here very soon. You may get to see her. . . if I don't kill you first."

"To keep it simple, I have a grudge towards all monsters because of a certain past event. If you want to know the story, just ask. . .but nothing you say will change my mind towards monsters."

"She is on the way and will be here very soon. You may get to see her. . . if I don't kill you first."

HA! Little little girl. You are no match for me!

Since you mentioned that we may ask about the event that now has you seeking to kill off the monsters you meet and none has asked about it, I shall. What event now causes you to wish the end of the monsters present and are there any in specific that have higher priority in ending the existence of?

Since you mentioned that we may ask about the event that now has you seeking to kill off the monsters you meet and none has asked about it, I shall. What event now causes you to wish the end of the monsters present and are there any in specific that have higher priority in ending the existence of?

“Fine then. I will tell you our grim tale. . .”

[spoiler=Our Story(That's a bit graphic)] “It started with our parents. Our mother died giving birth to us. After our father grieved for several months, he married a cruel woman who would become our step-mother. I don’t know why he would marry such a woman, but he did. Our step-mother hated us and constantly mistreated us, but our father did nothing for he was a coward. When we got older our step-mother began complaining that we didn’t have enough food in the house to feed all of us. This was true, considering that our father was a very poor woodcutter. But our step-mother forcefully suggested in private to our father to abandon us deep in the woods, so that there would be two less mouths to feed. We heard about her plan and Hansel made up a genius idea. He would gather white pebbles and drop one every now and then so that we could follow them back home. When the time came for our father to leave us in the woods and abandon us, Hansel’s plan worked perfectly. We were able to follow the pebbles and come back home.

But our cruel step-mother didn’t like that one bit and had us locked in her room for an entire day, only unlocking it to give us bread and water. When dawn came, our father took us out to the forest to abandon us again. Lucky for us, Hansel hadn’t eaten his bread and used the same tactic with the pebbles using bread crumbs. Unlucky for us, crows ate all the bread crumbs, ruining the plan. And so our father abandoned us again, and this time we became lost deep in the woods at night. While I cried in fear, my brother tried to comfort me and tell me it was alright.

When sunlight came, we wandered around hopelessly lost until we found it. A cottage made of chocolate. Inside of it lived a monster. But we didn’t know that at the time and carelessly began to eat the candy walls. Before long, an old innocent lady came out of the house. But she was anything but innocent, for she was a monster in sheep’s clothing. She tricked both of us into her house, then locked the door and revealed that she was a witch. After that, she put Hansel into a cage and forced me to do housework while she prepared to fatten up Hansel and eat him. But Hansel didn’t eat much of what the witch gave him and the witch became impatient. I knew she was getting ready to cook Hansel, so I did the only thing I could think of. We had to kill the witch.

I stole the key for Hansel’s cage and pocketed a large butcher knife from the kitchen. Quickly getting Hansel out of his cage, we charged the witch. But before we could reach her, she cast a spell and hit Hansel with it. As I watched the spell transform my brother before my eyes and I heard the witch’s laughter, something snapped. Next thing I knew I was right in front of the witch, plunging the knife into her chest. I don’t know how many times I stabbed her, but when I was over I was covered in blood. By then I worried about my brother and looked over at him, seeing the thing he had become. The thing that the witch had turned him into. But he was still my brother, so I did the only thing I could think of and put him in a cage. I then searched through the many books that lay around the cabin, hoping to find a way to change my brother back. Sadly, by the end of my search, I had found nothing. And I was hungry. Since I was too tired to go out to hunt for animals and berries, I did the unthinkable. I cooked the dead witch. And ate her. I then gave Hansel some of the witch so that he could eat too.

It was that day that I dedicated myself to kill all monsters so that nobody else could suffer through what me and Hansel have. Even if I had to become a monster to do so.”

That is indeed quite tragic.

Just why am I thinking about my original death now? Argh.

Oh, sorry, sidetracked my own thoughts there. But yes, just as you saw with how a normal person can reveal themselves as a monster, the same can be said about us yet reversed. Yes, we are considered Monsters, but some of us do not have the wish to be like that woman you described.

That is indeed quite tragic.

Just why am I thinking about my original death now? Argh.

Oh, sorry, sidetracked my own thoughts there. But yes, just as you saw with how a normal person can reveal themselves as a monster, the same can be said about us yet reversed. Yes, we are considered Monsters, but some of us do not have the wish to be like that woman you described.

"What you say may be true, but for all I know you could be just like the witch. You could be a wolf in sheep's clothing and hiding your evil intentions from sight until it's time to strike. All in all I don't trust any of you monsters, even if some of you seem to be completely harmless."

Archived