[LVP1] Perpetual King Archfiend

Sams got cucked super funking hard.

this doesn’t confirm those rumors btw

sams and archfiends were legitimately the only decks that could go in 001

not saying rumor is wrong, for sure, but it’s not guaranteed still

EDIT: that list of leaks is also 2 decks short. Pack has 20 slots with a “1 Link + 4 cards” scheme, and that + 6 + jasmine is only 18. Can be chalked up to partial info tho.

Why are sams cucked? Radiant is basically the Sam link due to kizan tho

Hah, the art of Castle Link makes even more sense now. 

Would be hilarious if we got links of the other chess archfiends or Terrorking Salmon (I hope not).

But yeah, its first effect seems meh. Exactly 500ATK or 500DEF  doesn't really offer too many options; would be better if it was equal to or lower. RIP

The second effect's pretty nice, but it's reliant on dice rolls. And even with That Six around, since it's an unsearchable trap, it's also unreliable. 
This will probably support other archetypes more than its own, tbh.

Hah, the art of Castle Link makes even more sense now. 

Would be hilarious if we got links of the other chess archfiends or Terrorking Salmon (I hope not).

But yeah, its first effect seems meh. Exactly 500ATK or 500DEF  doesn't really offer too many options; would be better if it was equal to or lower. RIP

The second effect's pretty nice, but it's reliant on dice rolls. And even with That Six around, since it's an unsearchable trap, it's also unreliable. 

This will probably support other archetypes more than its own, tbh.

I do not assume it to do anything for archfiends.

Beyond that (obviously) B.A. can abuse this (all 3 options should be amazing for cir and graff), D/D/D can and propably would want to use this, Abyss Actors could use this for the body if nothing else, Grinder Golem, Tour Guide (into Sangan) and Phantom Skyblaster can tutor this out if one wants it that badly and obviously Dark World would want to use this. (Resonators could too, despite liking the Crystron more).

I do not assume it to do anything for archfiends.

Beyond that (obviously) B.A. can abuse this (all 3 options should be amazing for cir and graff), D/D/D can and propably would want to use this, Abyss Actors could use this for the body if nothing else, Grinder Golem, Tour Guide (into Sangan) and Phantom Skyblaster can tutor this out if one wants it that badly, obviously Dark World, (Resonators, despite liking the Crystron more).

"Abuse" how? Almost none of the above decks have reliable pay-LP effects that they use every duel, and in the case of D/D/D's they're only burning 1000, which basically does nothing for them as far as useful targets to send go, besides Scarm but that has a hard OPT anyways and becomes way too slow of a search for this day and age, and Actors are just Actors. Grinder Golem has a much, much, much, much better target to go into with Skulldeat which is just an objectively better play to use that card for than this thing.

There's frankly no real deck that actually wants to play this right now, besides Archfiends but those stopped being relevant even as a casual deck years ago. The most reliable use to give this is with Instant Fusion, but even that's really more of a meme than anything, especially with Norden given the axe.

Honestly, this card is just really bad. It's only real good "use" is for the markers and materials, and even then I'm sure there's better targets that people could be going into. I'm positive the Burning Abyss link is going to also an objectively better monster to go into with TGU plays than this. The revive might be nice since it works on any send, but without some bad meme cards it's really nothing more than a 1-in-3 chance of something good happening than nothing good happening. As neato-burrito as that may seem, it's just much better to be going into strategies that are more of a "This WILL happen unless the opponent actively tries to stop it" rather than "I have a 1-in-3 chance of it happening".

It's just frankly a disappointment that this became one of the 20, but I guess not all of them can be good/relevant cards. Just, I don't know where they wanted this card to be, since there's just better targets to be going into for the relevant places.

As stated before, self-burn isn't paid and doesn't work with this card.

However, D/D/Ds do seem like they'd benefit from Psychic Sword a fair amount, as they're able to dump either Necro Slime or Swirl Slime with it and combo off from there. Soul Charge for 3 lets you dump Abyss King Ragnarok, which you can then bring back with Nighthowl etc and use its effect to bring back another D/D/D. They'd want to run this anyway as they're all Fiends and this enables the multiple Extra Deck monster plays they hold so dear. 

Djinn Releaser is a hell of a card to dump in the OCG, and some neat cards Perpetual can dump it off include Garbage Lord, Lullaby of Obedience, and Soul Charge.

Metabo Globster spawns 3 Fiend-Type Tokens when Tributed for the Tribute Summon of a DARK monster, I feel this could be relevant later. Fiend's Sanctuary also grants a Fiend token to use for this in a pinch. 

Overall I really like this card and hope it's a sign of further things to come for Archfiend and Fiends in general, my favourite Type. 

Why are sams cucked? Radiant is basically the Sam link due to kizan tho

That logic doesn’t really hold, but that’s neither here nor there.

Sams have the other 3 ED summoning methods. Sams could only go in the first slot. Archfiends took that slot.

So the link Sam, which would’ve prob been warriors, possibly of different attribute, isn’t coming just yet.

That logic doesn’t really hold, but that’s neither here nor there.

Sams have the other 3 ED summoning methods. Sams could only go in the first slot. Archfiends took that slot.

So the link Sam, which would’ve prob been warriors, possibly of different attribute, isn’t coming just yet.

Oh, I was confused why you said Sam wouldn't get a link in here (line 2-3)

I was saying Radiant is basically their link due to being able to loop Kizan w/ Gateway

Functionally it works if you're looking for a two link

However, D/D/Ds do seem like they'd benefit from Psychic Sword a fair amount, as they're able to dump either Necro Slime or Swirl Slime with it and combo off from there. Soul Charge for 3 lets you dump Abyss King Ragnarok, which you can then bring back with Nighthowl etc and use its effect to bring back another D/D/D. They'd want to run this anyway as they're all Fiends and this enables the multiple Extra Deck monster plays they hold so dear. 

Djinn Releaser is a hell of a card to dump in the OCG, and some neat cards Perpetual can dump it off include Garbage Lord, Lullaby of Obedience, and Soul Charge.

Metabo Globster spawns 3 Fiend-Type Tokens when Tributed for the Tribute Summon of a DARK monster, I feel this could be relevant later. Fiend's Sanctuary also grants a Fiend token to use for this in a pinch. 

Overall I really like this card and hope it's a sign of further things to come for Archfiend and Fiends in general, my favourite Type. 

Why would you drop djinn with this over the BA Link?

Why would you play Djinn at all lol

Why would you drop djinn with this over the BA Link?

Why would you play Djinn at all lol

I wouldn't, I play TCG lol. 

That said, reasons why someone might are that not all Fiends are Level 3, so you can have two Materials for this that aren't also compatible with Cherubini. Grinder Golem in Nekroz might be funny for a while, at least until Golem gets banned or we get a Fiend Ritual archetype far down the road (preferably centered around a retrained DARK MASTER - ZORC).

Master Peace is the lovable underdog right now. OCG banned it after it was already obsolete. 

As for Gateway, it enables some pretty degenerate loops and I don't miss it much, but given power creep etc I guess it could come back. We'd need Amazoness Archer, [Toon] Cannon Soldier, Amaryllis, etc out of the picture because they do nothing for the game but FTK and they're just as bad as Mass Driver in the decks that can tutor them out, including Sams with Gateway. 

Master Peace is the lovable underdog right now. OCG banned it after it was already obsolete. 

As for Gateway, it enables some pretty degenerate loops and I don't miss it much, but given power creep etc I guess it could come back. We'd need Amazoness Archer, [Toon] Cannon Soldier, Amaryllis, etc out of the picture because they do nothing for the game but FTK and they're just as bad as Mass Driver in the decks that can tutor them out, including Sams with Gateway. 

Towers w/ Quickplay removal is never obsolete

It has to target, it has to destroy, it has to banish an applicable card from the Graveyard, it has to have been Tribute Summoned, it has to survive, it can only do it once per turn.

Master Peace is very obsolete in the TCG right now, and even before Double Helix it was losing an uphill battle to stay relevant against a pretty tame top deck in Pendulum Magicians. The sands of time will bury Master Peace just as Towers has remained buried in the OCG. More bosses will be introduced with newer and better built-in protection effects. 

Sleeper with Resort and Last Resort is a pretty good example actually. 

It has to target, it has to destroy, it has to banish an applicable card from the Graveyard, it has to have been Tribute Summoned, it has to survive, it can only do it once per turn.

Master Peace is very obsolete in the TCG right now, and even before Double Helix it was losing an uphill battle to stay relevant against a pretty tame top deck in Pendulum Magicians. The sands of time will bury Master Peace just as Towers has remained buried in the OCG. More bosses will be introduced with newer and better built-in protection effects. 

Sleeper with Resort and Last Resort is a pretty good example actually. 

That's like a 3 card combo made

you can just set a spell and trap and wala you have a s/t immune mp. They're not comparable at all

Tower is pretty balanced after we got Kaiju and monsters in the MD over 3k

It also isn't qp removal. Play me in OCG sometime

I wouldn't, I play TCG lol. 

That said, reasons why someone might are that not all Fiends are Level 3, so you can have two Materials for this that aren't also compatible with Cherubini. Grinder Golem in Nekroz might be funny for a while, at least until Golem gets banned or we get a Fiend Ritual archetype far down the road (preferably centered around a retrained DARK MASTER - ZORC).

Because the Burning Abyss Link Monster is also not type-dependent on its summon or its effects, which opens many more doors, and is going to be very consistent in its use and effectiveness. This card is frankly just not going to do much at all for Fiend decks; any of them would rather use a generic engine and go for Skulldeat, or just wait for the DARK 2-material, both of which are going to be better for them, honestly.

Lmao what do you think this is, Kozmo format? You'd think Drident would've shown people that target/destroy removal is still just fine so long as its quickplay, but I see some people haven't learned anything.

True Dracos were a very strong tier 1 for a reason, and that reason wasn't like any of the ones that allowed Blue-Eyes to flunk their way into tier 1.

Because the Burning Abyss Link Monster is also not type-dependent on its summon or its effects, which opens many more doors, and is going to be very consistent in its use and effectiveness. This card is frankly just not going to do much at all for Fiend decks; any of them would rather use a generic engine and go for Skulldeat, or just wait for the DARK 2-material, both of which are going to be better for them, honestly.

Lmao what do you think this is, Kozmo format? You'd think Drident would've shown people that target/destroy removal is still just fine so long as its quickplay, but I see some people haven't learned anything.

True Dracos were a very strong tier 1 for a reason, and that reason wasn't like any of the ones that allowed Blue-Eyes to flunk their way into tier 1.

I'm agreeing with cat...has hell frozen over?

the LP paying effect is pretty terrible, but the dice roll effect is actually decent. you can recover any tools that you may want to keep each time you use resources such as getting things like sangan, TGU, heiress, and many other monsters that trigger in grave, back into your deck/hand/field, to use again on another turn. in addition, if i'm reading it correctly, if you send more than one fiend to the graveyard, then you don't actually have to choose which one you'll be rolling the dice for until the roll is complete, so you will hopefully be able to choose the best option (assuming there is one) for the dice roll each time.

the value in this card is that the recycling is not only optional, but it has multiple things it can do with said recycling, and you get to roll before choosing what it'll effect. the mill via paying LP effect is just a potential icing on the cake in comparison to that last effect. it's unquestionably true that the BA link is outright better sheerly due to certainty of outcome, but this card, having no hard OPT, and three effects that each on their own, would all been pretty strong, makes it a breakable travesty just waiting to happen.

side argument, not relative to the main point, but fiends are an archetype that has consistently gotten more and more support over the years, it might not be a good card right now, but there will be more and more fiends in the game as the game goes on, and the same goes for cards that require paying LP. this thing here is a prime example of potential to be broken as the cardpool widens (phonexian cluster comes to minds as a similar card with a simple, but potentially powerful effect, becoming instrumental in a new degenerate combo).

Soul Charge does not pay LP.

This card is frankly just not going to do much at all for Fiend decks; any of them would rather use a generic engine and go for Skulldeat, or just wait for the DARK 2-material, both of which are going to be better for them, honestly.

I agree, but this is going to be out well in advance of the Witch's Apprentice Link retrain (at least in the OCG, not sure about how they'll pace these for release in the TCG but I'd imagine it'd still be a fair bit earlier considering Witch will be the last of the Attribute Link-2's). 

As far as comparing Perpetual and Cherubini, they're apples and oranges. One is for Level 3's, the other's for Fiends. 

No, I think this is SPYRAL format. 

If Drident were legal right now with all else equal, it wouldn't be a game-changer. 

That's like a 3 card combo made

you can just set a spell and trap and wala you have a s/t immune mp. They're not comparable at all

Tower is pretty balanced after we got Kaiju and monsters in the MD over 3k

Double Helix searches Master Plan which searches Resort and a SPYRAL monster, Resort searches another SPYRAL monster. If you can get Double Helix off, you have a protected Sleeper. This and so much more can result from any number of 2-card combinations.  

Hell, in a SPYRAL deck, One for One alone = Resort, Sleeper equipped with Last Resort, full-powered Tri-Gate, Ib, Double Helix equipped with Big Red, and Utility Wire.

It's really not that different from having a Continuous Spell, a Continuous Trap, and Master Peace. 

Master Peace isn't even competitive now, wouldn't be if it were legal in the OCG (True Dracos disappeared from the OCG meta prior to the October 1st banlist after the release of Double Helix) and the odds of Master Peace being competitive 5 to 10 years down the road are very slim.

Master Peace remains an excellent card, but from the perspective of the competitive game where only the best of the best cards can win - Master Peace is and will be obsoleted by newer cards with more efficient ways to protect themselves. The fact that we have both it and Diagram at 3 in the TCG and True Draco can't compete with SPYRALs whatsoever should make that obvious.

It also isn't qp removal. Play me in OCG sometime

Sure I'd be happy to, but if you want to make any kind of point regarding Master Peace you'd have to do it in the TCG because again, for some strange reason the OCG banned it after releasing cards that already rendered him competitively irrelevant. 

I'm agreeing with cat...has hell frozen over?

To unite against a greater evil, obviously. *rolls eyes*

Happy to have you back at any rate. 

Worth noting that not only is Cherubini comparison appropriate, due to the pool of good Fiends largely being level 3, so is Needlefiber when you consider things like Lamia, Red Res, and the casual favorite Fableds

Between those 2 Links, you already cover a large portion of this card's available niches, with some exceptions to Dark Worlds, Malicevorous(??? has value running Plaguespreader anyways), D/D with Night Howling (which you shouldn't run anyways), and I guess Grinder Golem (high opportunity cost compared to other possible plays).

There is at least the benefit that there are no real restrictions against summoning 2 or more of the above at the same time, so you may not be forced to choose, but in virtually all circumstances where you are this guy is at its apex the 2nd best option in most Fiend decks.

I'm not sure why Spyral Slepper with protection being a 3-card combo matters when setting a Cont S and T with Master Peace II in hand is by definition a 3-card combo, esp when as mentioned Spyral Slepper with protection can be done with less than 3-card combos anyways.

Psychic Blade honestly doesn't seem that useful because having to Link Summon BEFORE you Foolish is rather inefficient and, in the specifically mentioned example of D/Ds, Spiral and Necro Slime are among your best enablers of Link Summon in the first place. Add in that Psychic Blade is basically a blank card without the Link Summon, and that chances are the Archfiend Link is basically blank Linked Zones in a similar situation, I honestly can't feel it's worth noting.

At least Grinder Golem means you don't have a Normal Summon to lose with Hidden Armory anyways, should you choose to explore this meem.

Archived