Eshai

Lost and Found
Spell - Normal
Banish the top 5 cards of your Deck, face-down, then, your opponent randomly adds 1 of those cards to your hand. During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can banish this card from your GY to add 1 of your banished, face-down cards to your hand. You can only use 1 "Lost and Found" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

I wanted to make a card that was like Pot of Desires but not as BS. Instead of just having an arbitrary cost, you actually use this card to fetch 1 of the top 5 cards of your Deck, but the rest are otherwise unreachable. This card is a +0, so you aren't banishing as many cards, but you can also recover 1 of those cards by skipping your Draw Phase, meaning in times of attempting to draw a particular card you can add any of the 4 cards that have been left banished.

Not sure if this is completely balanced, but I feel it's an interesting enough card for me to keep it this way. This was meant to be a card for a possible archetype that utilizes the banished face-down, so it becomes reeaalllly broken then I'll make it archetype specific.

If you have any ideas to balance the card I would love to hear your thoughts. I'd rather not make something broken for a format that's being made specifically to combat balancing issues in the game right now.

Mm. This is still really good. Too good. As a whole, it's a costless Upstart or a restriction-less Duality. Further, it gives more options than Duality (5 to 3) and, unlike Desires, there's 0 chance that the HOPT will interfere with its usage. It's better and safer in near all ways in comparison to nearly all deck thinning options we've got.

...despite all that, I do like the concept, but I'm not sure of a means of actually making this not thoroughly outclass other options without putting on a restriction in some way.

The best way I could think of would be to make one of them random, or selected by your opponent- you can't always get the good stuff from a lost and found, after all. Sometimes, you just need to grab something, anything.

Hmm, maybe . . .

Lost and Found

Normal Spell

Excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, add 1 to your hand, and banish the other 4, face-down. During your Main Phase, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Your opponent shuffles your face-down banished cards, then adds the top card among those face-down banished cards to your hand. You can only activate 1 effect of this card's name per turn, and only once that turn.

Make it a slower resource grind, and your second plus is about as random as a draw.

Would never not run at least 1 even without the Graveyard effect. Upstart except it also provides filtering (look at top 5 instead of 1). Better than Duality in that sense too. If you hit a 1-of, grab it. Then there's the Graveyard effect.

Yeah I figured a bit.

...despite all that, I do like the concept, but I'm not sure of a means of actually making this not thoroughly outclass other options without putting on a restriction in some way.

I might make a Special Summoning restriction clause

Lost and Found

Normal Spell

Excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, add 1 to your hand, and banish the other 4, face-down. During your Main Phase, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Your opponent shuffles your face-down banished cards, then adds the top card among those face-down banished cards to your hand. You can only activate 1 effect of this card's name per turn, and only once that turn.

Make it a slower resource grind, and your second plus is about as random as a draw.

I think you're on the right track, but I think that version misses the point of the card. It was supposed to be able to utilize banished face-down, so randomizing the second effect where you can add any banished face-down card ruins the point a bit. However, if you make the first effect random, it not only makes the card just a draw 1 and then banishing 4 other cards face-down (which I think is kinda fair on its own as long as its a HOPT like Pot of Desires) but it fits the naming of the cards, where you might not find the card you want in the first place but the second time around you look more thoroughly. I do think Azuriena was right though, that the GY effect is overkill and this would be used in almost every Deck just b because it's not nearly as punishing as Pot of Desires, so for that it needs a restriction.

I would possibly make it banishes at the start of your Draw Phase, and then instead of drawing, you can add 1 card from the face-down banished to your hand. That makes it so it's a +0, improves your ability to Top Deck if you save it for later when you need 1 of those cards. Lastly, it just keeps the ability to banish more cards face-down a way of increasing the card's effectiveness, which was the whole point to begin with,

Updating the card now.

PS. Considering I've been getting more reviews from putting a simple description at what the card is and/or does rather than the actual name of the card, I feel that's a better practice all things considered since people have an idea of what they're getting into and know more about than they would rather than just knowing the name.

I'd just like to point out that you goofed on the restriction at the end of the fixed card, so now it just looks like a redundant "once per turn, you can only activate this effect once per turn" type deal.

That being said, here's the fix if you really want the actual name to be there:

You can only activate 1 effect of "Lost and Found" per turn, and only once that turn.

But yeah, the card's better this way. Considerably less abusable. Skipping your Normal Draw to get back any face-down banished card is a pretty difficult choice to make, especially in those moments where you don't know where your copies of a particular card are. It would really be funny if a Deck realized that it just banished all three of its Garnet (a card the Deck only uses as a piece for something else, which is totally dead as a draw) and a Terraforming when all the player needed was a nuke.

I'd just like to point out that you goofed on the restriction at the end of the fixed card, so now it just looks like a redundant "once per turn, you can only activate this effect once per turn" type deal.

That being said, here's the fix if you really want the actual name to be there:

You can only activate 1 effect of "Lost and Found" per turn, and only once that turn.

But yeah, the card's better this way. Considerably less abusable. Skipping your Normal Draw to get back any face-down banished card is a pretty difficult choice to make, especially in those moments where you don't know where your copies of a particular card are. It would really be funny if a Deck realized that it just banished all three of its Garnet (a card the Deck only uses as a piece for something else, which is totally dead as a draw) and a Terraforming when all the player needed was a nuke.

Seeing as the original was "You can only use 1 'Lost and Found' effect per turn, and only once that turn," I reckon the intention was to change it to "You can only use each effect of 'Lost and Found' once per turn."

Note that it's "use", not "activate".

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but you can look at your own face-down banished cards.

Right now the card is effectively banish 4 face-down draw 1 with filtering on the subsequent turn. (Still run 1.)

Fixed. It was supposed to be so you couldn't banish cards the same turn you activate either of the effects. I think it's a bit underpowered the way it is right now where you can't activate another Lost and Found the turn you activate the banish effect, but seeing as it's a tool boxy drawcard I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think it's still really good but not something you would ban from the game. Possibly might semi-limit it or limit it if get overused, but I think this is good for now.

Thanks for all the help guys! 

P.S. Banished Face-down is like Setting cards on your side of the field. You can see them but your opponent cannot. So if you were to add a banished face-down card to your hand, you could actively choose the 1 you want by looking at them. Draconus said something about you not knowing what those cards are, so I figured I should make sure everyone knows.

Archived