[CC Event] ZPD Field Exam

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Cqe7bq2.png

"Oh hey there, academy cadets! My name is Officer Judy Hopps. Ready to take the entrance exam to become one of the finest in the ZPD?"

Major Friedkin and I teamed up with Flash Flyer - Sakura to bring you a modified version of our exam, as pertinent to your standards. Due to work-related circumstances between all three of us, this was the earliest we could host this test. We sincerely apologize.

My apologies to you monsters out there who would've liked to, but Officer Hopps and I have been busy with various missions in the field and simply couldn't get time off to do this, nor hire a substitute. You can still enter in your human forms.

====

The test is quite simple really; all you need to do is simply create a series of cards that pass the required standards and you're well on your way. There will be 4 parts of the exam that will be graded for marks.

Anyone can join, whether or not you're stepping in here for the first time or a seasoned veteran, so come on!

While you are not required to do them all now (and can make them up later), tasks you delay until later won't receive credit, and by extension, you will not receive a stamp.

What are stamps? You get them from me by adequately passing the required test associated with them  I shall tell you if you meet the criteria or not. Be warned that the standards get higher for each successive task and you will require more marks to pass. Sometimes you won't get it on the first try, but I will offer you another chance to try again for the task. Nobody learns without getting it wrong, but I hope you at least improve.

Each part will be given 72 hours completion time, after which, the next part of the exam shall be given. 

The usage of cards previously made is prohibited, and will result in the disqualification of that portion for which you submitted an old card for. Moreover, getting help from another participant or seeking outside help is prohibited. You are expected to handle any tasks on your own.

The first stamp will net you 3,000 points, with each successive stamp doubling your total hereon out. In total, you may accumulate a maximum of 24,000.

A special prize awaits those who complete all five tasks and receive the correlated stamps, courtesy of Flash Flyer - Sakura.

Though, you do receive something for at least trying. What's important is that you've learned something.

=====

Thank you, Officer Hopps. Let me explain to them how this works...in more understandable terms.

The ZPD exam (or this side contest event) will consist of five tasks; all of them consecutive rounds of cardmaking. The standards of grading increase with each successive task; the theme itself may not be difficult, but the grading will.

You only need to make 1 card for each round, as standard for any contests I've hosted throughout my YCM career. 

The first couple rounds will generally be easier grading, but you are still expected to put in reasonable effort and show me you understand proper design (otherwise you will fail). For the last two rounds, you can expect grading to be similar to what I already give you for the CC tournaments.

You need a certain score to pass and receive the stamp for the round. This bar is roughly set around 70% and may be curved early on. Later rounds will not be curved.

Each time you complete a task successfully, you receive a stamp. I will quote your post and award it below. (I will have a list of members who have gotten each one)

stamp-browa.png

This was from back in 2009 when the mods did something similar. I won this one from Browarod when I was a Level 5 user.

Stamp will look something like this, but with different imagery as pertinent to the theme.

If you do manage to get all the stamps, you'll get a permanent membership and another unannounced prize in addition to the point payout. (Sounds good?)

Also, those of you who participate also get a rep/like, with successful rounds also netting you a like for each.

General Rules

1. Any entries you submit for this contest must be new, or something you have not posted on YCM.

2. You may not post your works in Casual or Advanced to receive critique while the round is still going and you have not yet received a stamp.

You may post your works AFTER you have received a stamp or when the round ends; whichever comes first. I encourage you all to post them afterwards.

3. Entries will be due at the specified deadline, which is usually 2 days after I post the prompt; give/take a couple minutes. All times written are in Hawai'i Standard (GMT - 10:00), so please convert this to the equivalent time in your respective area.

4. Grading will use the same rubric as CC Monthly for convenience (with some modifications as needed). I will let you know if things change.

5. If this wasn't already obvious, please design your cards using concepts that actually exist in the game and don't use Fake Types/Attributes/etc. Also if you put design notes, they will not be read.

iU8EggM.png

"I believe in all of you, so show me the best of what the members of YCM can do!"

"Don't disappoint me, YCM. I have high expectations for you all, however I'm sure you can do it."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first part of the test, please design a card themed on Halloween, and turn it in by November 1st, 2017 @ 8:15 pm HST. (Yes, it is the day afterwards, but I wish to give you an extra day to design.)

It has also come to my attention that Flash Flyer - Sakura used this theme earlier in the month for a tournament. Those of you who participated may use this as an opportunity for redemption if you did not fare as well as you had expected, but you must make a new entry.

GOOD LUCK!

====

As you guys realized by now, I'm technically doing double duty as RPing as Judy Hopps (or trying to thereof) and writing in my normal voice. Therefore, her speech will be written in NAVY, while my usual stuff is in BLUE. Please try not to confuse the two. (Also I apologize if it doesn't sound like her, and a more technical version of my normal quirks.)

But nonetheless, as standard for all tournaments, ask if you have questions about what is permissible for the theme or how stuff in general will go. For submissions, just submit them in the thread as normal. (I mean, Officer Hopps and I cannot award you over PM).

Here's my entry for the first part of this event!

https://imgur.com/a/UtIpv

Witch Of Ivy And Thorns

EARTH

Fusion Spellcaster-Type

2100 ATK

2950 DEF

Effect:

"Witch Of The Black Forest" + 1 Plant-Type Monster
Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, you may target one card in the same column of this card, destroy it. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, you may target one face-up Monster or Spell/Trap card and move it to a Zone in the same column as this card.

This sounds really fun! I'm game!

2ev6k2o.png

Pumpking Hill
Continuous Spell Card
This card's name becomes "Castle of Dark Illusions" while you control as least 1 face-up "Pumpking the King of Ghosts". Once per turn, if a Zombie-Type monster you control would be destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target another Zombie-Type monster on the field; destroy it and send it to the Graveyard instead. Whenever a face-up Zombie-Type monster would gain or lose either ATK and/or DEF, require the player to pay Life Points, or inflict damage (battle or effect): the amount is doubled.

Here is my card, some Pumpking Support that also works as support for Pumprincess or Zombie-Type monsters in General! The last effect is meant to intensify Pumpking's and Pumprincess's (requires Zombie World/DNA Surgery, however) buff/nerf effects, but also leaves the door open to any other Zombie card that could benefit from it as well. The downside? If your Zombies require a cost, or if your opponent's Zombies end up inflicting battle/effect damage, expect this card's effect to come swinging right back at you! Lastly, shout out to anyone who gets the card name reference!

I miss big contests like these.

Here's my entry! It's sure to play a trick on your opponent. 

0tbsOiW.png

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; send 1 Zombie monster from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, that monster becomes a Zombie monster. You can target 1 Zombie monster your opponent controls that has a Level; send both it and this card from the field to the GY, then Special Summon from your Extra Deck 1 Zombie Synchro Monster whose Level equals the total original Levels of those 2 monsters in the GY. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) You can only use each effect of "Hallow's Eve Reaper" once per turn.

To be fair, I have been trying to figure out ways to boost activity in this section (and also get fresh blood into the section). But yeah, time to let Officer Hopps and myself grade you.

Here's my entry for the first part of this event!

https://imgur.com/a/UtIpv

Witch Of Ivy And Thorns

EARTH

Fusion Spellcaster-Type

2100 ATK

2950 DEF

Effect:

"Witch Of The Black Forest" + 1 Plant-Type Monster
Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, you may target one card in the same column of this card, destroy it. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, you may target one face-up Monster or Spell/Trap card and move it to a Zone in the same column as this card.

Stats are rather high for my liking, considering the materials in question and its Level. There is also the issue of both its effects playing off each other; move something to the same column and then destroy it (albeit only face-up cards). Granted, I am aware that columns are more important due to this new factor that you call Link Summoning or VRAINS, and this definitely increases its potential. On its own, it is not bad and shouldn't be too abusive, but not keen on it being OPT destruction with a massive body. (On that note, what Plant decks even want this because I do not foresee Witch being useful except maybe to grab Lonefire or a Predaplant engine enabler.)

(Zootopia is still on ARC-V time at the moment. Most of the city still has some doubts about the dramatic changes, even though we're far more open to evolution in other areas.)

Still, you at least got the flavor part right for the most part, and it's feasible so...you pass this round.

Here's your stamp.

1rxo8aN.png

This sounds really fun! I'm game!

2ev6k2o.png

Pumpking Hill
Continuous Spell Card
This card's name becomes "Castle of Dark Illusions" while you control as least 1 face-up "Pumpking the King of Ghosts". Once per turn, if a Zombie-Type monster you control would be destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target another Zombie-Type monster on the field; destroy it and send it to the Graveyard instead. Whenever a face-up Zombie-Type monster would gain or lose either ATK and/or DEF, require the player to pay Life Points, or inflict damage (battle or effect): the amount is doubled.

Here is my card, some Pumpking Support that also works as support for Pumprincess or Zombie-Type monsters in General! The last effect is meant to intensify Pumpking's and Pumprincess's (requires Zombie World/DNA Surgery, however) buff/nerf effects, but also leaves the door open to any other Zombie card that could benefit from it as well. The downside? If your Zombies require a cost, or if your opponent's Zombies end up inflicting battle/effect damage, expect this card's effect to come swinging right back at you! Lastly, shout out to anyone who gets the card name reference!

From my understanding, you require a rather outdated card to make this as effective, but then uses your fellow zombies as "shields" (though a lot of them seem not to mind, and instead WANT to go there).

From my standpoint as a law enforcement officer, I highly disprove of using other people as shields (as it is correlated with those who do unspeakable acts), even though we as officers put ourselves at risk to defend those we serve. But that's irrelevant right now.

The doubling effect is fine for your named purposes, but outside Vampire and Shiranui in mirrors, no other Zombie deck appears to want this.

Card is fine for this task, albeit first effect is simply playing to a legacy card. It's just a throwback and doesn't particularly affect how the card functions on its own.

You pass!

1rxo8aN.png

(P.S. I get the reference from Sonic Adventures 2; stage 6 of the Hero Story)

I miss big contests like these.

Here's my entry! It's sure to play a trick on your opponent. 

0tbsOiW.png

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; send 1 Zombie monster from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, that monster becomes a Zombie monster. You can target 1 Zombie monster your opponent controls that has a Level; send both it and this card from the field to the GY, then Special Summon from your Extra Deck 1 Zombie Synchro Monster whose Level equals the total original Levels of those 2 monsters in the GY. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) You can only use each effect of "Hallow's Eve Reaper" once per turn.

I'm sure that it will. :wink:

Though we all know that Zombie World just makes this card a whole lot better without having to add a Gozuki-style effect onto it. Ah, and I see you also gave them a little toy reminiscent of that card you refer to as Superheavy Samurai Battleball / Tama-C, though Zombies are still limited to Levels 6, 8 and 10 at the moment; most of which are these Shiranuis.

Unless Zombies get any more Synchros with different Levels, I do not foresee this card to abuse anything.

You pass!

1rxo8aN.png

iU8EggM.png

Hmm, all passes on the first try.

Though this is a considerably easy theme, so I would expect you all to do well.

To be fair, Judy, the lowest score in the last tournament was a 70-ish (well, factoring in OCG grading and all), so members generally did well.

Here's my card. It took a while to turn a picture of Kuriboh into the card art using just Paint.

[spoiler=Kuribohsiris]gIbBbsQ.png

Kuribohsiris

Level 1

DARK Zombie / Effect

300 / 200

During either player's turn, when you would take effect damage: You can send this card from your hand or field to the GY; make that effect damage to you 0. During your Main Phase 1, if you opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon this card from your GY. When your opponent's monster declares an attack while you control fewer monsters than your opponent (min. 1): You can banish this card from your GY; negate the attack, and if you do, end the Battle Phase. You can only activate this effect once per Duel.

On a side note, for the uninformed, Osiris is the Egyptian deity of the underworld.

After trying to decide on a name which I was somewhat happy with.

[spoiler=Treat Witch Nyatric]NN56I4V.png

Treat Witch Nyatric

Level 3

DARK/Spellcaster

If this card leaves the field by an opponent's card effect: Pay 1000 LP; Draw 1 card. If this card is Special Summoned from the GY: Pay 1000 LP; Send 1 random card from your opponent's hand to the GY. You can only activate 1 "Treat Witch, Nyatric" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

1300/500

I haven't done a card contest in a while, so I guess this is a good place to start again.

[spoiler=Halloween Party]tQNZdMG.png

Name: Halloween Party

Type: Continuous Spell

Effect: All Zombie, Spellcaster, and Fiend-Type monsters you control gain 500 ATK. When a Zombie, Spellcaster, or Fiend-Type monster you control destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Place 1 Pumpkin Counter on this card. During either player's turn if your LP is 4000 or lower: You can remove 1 Pumpkin Counter from this card to gain 800 LP. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Pumpkin Counters from this card, and if you do; draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of "Halloween Party" once per turn.

This technically isn't a CONTEST, but more of an event. Granted, there will be a winner out of those of you who can get all the stamps for each round, but for the most part, everyone who participates at least gets something. 

Do you all want to keep it at 4 (because I technically lowered the number of required cards) or just go with the planned five? Either way is fine, and I certainly don't mind doubling the overall total to 48K if you manage to get a passing grade on all of the tasks. (I lowered it due to coursework and potential interest waning after a while)

====

I'll get to your stuff when I return home (as I am typing this while waiting for express bus).

Let's try with 4 themes first, and then if you guys are still going, we can bring up the matter in another couple days. Honestly, I would've liked to have started this earlier and we could've run it with the latter half of Halloween, but life gave me a headache.

====

"I'll get to reviewing your submissions later. Have some paperwork I need to take care of."

Here's my card. It took a while to turn a picture of Kuriboh into the card art using just Paint.

[spoiler=Kuribohsiris]gIbBbsQ.png

Kuribohsiris

Level 1

DARK Zombie / Effect

300 / 200

During either player's turn, when you would take effect damage: You can send this card from your hand or field to the GY; make that effect damage to you 0. During your Main Phase 1, if you opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon this card from your GY. When your opponent's monster declares an attack while you control fewer monsters than your opponent (min. 1): You can banish this card from your GY; negate the attack, and if you do, end the Battle Phase. You can only activate this effect once per Duel.

On a side note, for the uninformed, Osiris is the Egyptian deity of the underworld.

I think that's common knowledge by now, well least for me anyway. 

Really seeing no obvious flaws with this usage-wise, outside needing to be behind, but it has its uses. Not sure on how the picture is supposed to relate to the underworld deity, but that's superfluous.

Pass.

1rxo8aN.png

After trying to decide on a name which I was somewhat happy with.

[spoiler=Treat Witch Nyatric]NN56I4V.png

Treat Witch Nyatric

Level 3

DARK/Spellcaster

If this card leaves the field by an opponent's card effect: Pay 1000 LP; Draw 1 card. If this card is Special Summoned from the GY: Pay 1000 LP; Send 1 random card from your opponent's hand to the GY. You can only activate 1 "Treat Witch, Nyatric" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

1300/500

I remember you asking Sakura if the pic was appropriate. It is. (I mean, I had to go to the Mystic Springs Oasis with full-on nudity; this is nothing.)

The problems here are that you don't have a choice in which effect as they both are mandatory by current convention. I have noticed Konami has been somewhat inconsistent on which effects are optional and mandatory by this wording. However, it's technically fine for a monster of this Level, though I do feel both effects should be optional so you can choose which one.

Pass.

1rxo8aN.png

I haven't done a card contest in a while, so I guess this is a good place to start again.

[spoiler=Halloween Party]tQNZdMG.png

Name: Halloween Party

Type: Continuous Spell

Effect: All Zombie, Spellcaster, and Fiend-Type monsters you control gain 500 ATK. When a Zombie, Spellcaster, or Fiend-Type monster you control destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Place 1 Pumpkin Counter on this card. During either player's turn if your LP is 4000 or lower: You can remove 1 Pumpkin Counter from this card to gain 800 LP. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Pumpkin Counters from this card, and if you do; draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of "Halloween Party" once per turn.

As a casual card, this is fine (and cute at the same time). For more realistic applications, I think the draw effect will be better used, since at half LP, you're likely going to be dead. I'll assume you meant to put the LP restoration effect as a hard OPT (because otherwise, it is conflicting with the soft one you gave for the draw effect). Honestly speaking, I think it should be reversed (hard OPT on the draw, and soft on the LP gain or just remove it). Right now, the game isn't at a point where mass LP is an issue [for Worlds, it's a problem because of the timing thing, but we aren't there]. 

But you pass this time.

1rxo8aN.png

Hello Officer, hi Sakura! I shall enter the contest with this card:

[spoiler=Halloween-themed]

LSMFKrj.jpg

Hi!

Out of fairness, I'm not really seeing Spellcaster or Zombies using this card efficiently, considering most Decks don't mind discarding stuff and certainly triggers on those. 300 ATK and DEF isn't particularly much, especially when it's temporary. The LP cost could be removed and you'd get a usable card that Dark Magicians and stuff would want (or maybe Pendulum Magicians to get themselves out of the GY, if ever).

My comments are that you probably nerfed this too much to be effective in a realistic Spellcaster/Zombie deck, though recursion always helps. The LP one is definitely too harsh.

But, guess this one gets a pass for at least being fair enough and filling the theme. For matches among your companions in a fun setting, sure, why not, 

1rxo8aN.png

=====

I apologize for the delay, everyone.

Everyone passed the first task (well, at least out of those of you who have entered). Those of you who are late entering, you really only have one / no shots to fix your stuff by the deadline in the rare case that I do have to vote no on your work.

So sorry for the delay, Major Friedkin and I had to make a quick return to Zootopia to handle some...domestic matters.

And I got called to inspect some stuff back at HQ and handle other work. I just got promoted to chief less than three weeks ago, and still figuring out how to use my new powers.

We're back now, and here's part 2 of the test, for those who will carry on. 

Please design a Link Monster.

While it was implied that this test would be functioning under Master Rule 4, now it is being made more clear. 

This part of the test is due by November 5th, 2017 @ 9:30 pm HST

The grading will be harder for this section, and as I noted above, more marks will be needed to score a passing grade stamp.

=====

You guys can do whatever you want with the theme, however I'd probably advise against Cyberse-themed ones because Yusaku certainly has a ton of them with unnecessary restrictions for their caliber. Though, do not neglect the Links and support that already exist at the moment.

(Again, only requirement is that it has to be a Link monster. You can theme it off of anything you want, but please make sure it's logical and designed properly. Improperly balanced cards will get a failing grade, and you'll need to redo. If you are told to redo it, take into consideration either Judy's or my comments when you resubmit.)

=====

OOC: Judy's mentioning "marks", which technically translates to "you need more points / higher percentage to pass".

I had an instructor from New Zealand for two months in fluid mechanics, who used this term often [among other things], so...

Basically, you need a higher score to pass, though I suspect it's not much harder than last time. Most of you did well last round, so hopefully you can keep that up.

Next up: a monster that supports all the Fabled, Dark World and even Chaos-themed decks out there, while doubling as a reincarnated version of the forever-banned Change of Heart! Hopefully she isn't as ban-worthy as her predecessor!

kqRaVV9.jpg

Harlequin of Hearts
LIGHT - Link 2 [T/D]
Fiend/Link/Effect
1 Fiend monster + 1 LIGHT monster
While face-up on the field, this card is also DARK-Attribute. If this card is Link Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone while both players control monsters this card points to: Swap control of the monsters. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend-Type monster from your Deck, then discard 1 card.
1400 ATK

If only YCM had a Link template.

[spoiler=Blue-Eyes Link Dragon]Blue-Eyes Link Dragon

Link 2

Southwest / Southeast

LIGHT Dragon / Link / Effect

3000 ATK

2 LIGHT Effect monsters

This card’s name becomes “Blue-Eyes White Dragon” while it is on the field or in the GY. Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, you can target 1 other Dragon-type monster you control that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck: During your next Battle Phase, it gains an additional attack, but this card cannot attack. When this card is sent to the GY: You can activate 1 of the following effects:

• Target 1 “with Eyes of Blue” monster in your GY: Special Summon it.

• Add 1 “with Eyes of Blue” monster from your GY to your hand.

Unfortunately, YCMaker is legitimately dead as far as updating goes, so don't expect him to add them or Pendulums in the near future. I've said this enough times by now; yeah, it sucks like hell, but not much we can do about it. (I technically made one with the Series 9 template; that one is still stickied in Showcase, presumably).

I'd like to be able to view the cardmaker's coding, but I can't right now.

=====

Stuff will be graded later, but I'm going to note that one of you might have to redo.

=====

Oh right, and just to keep track of who got a stamp:

Part 1

• Dtwist11
  • Kid Gambino
  • Fruiota_Hiroshi
  • Armoire
  • Azure Wolf
  • TheKing
  • EndUser

Part 2

• Kid Gambino
  • Armoire
  • Azure Wolf
  • TheKing
  • Fruiota_Hiroshi
  • Dtwist
  • EndUser

Part 3

• Kid Gambino
  • Armoire
  • Azure Wolf
  • TheKing
  • Fruiota_Hiroshi
  • Dtwist
  • EndUser

This makes me sad because I can't make a Link Monster because no template/photoshop. :(
But here's my entry for this round:

Fire King High Avatar Agni ffy4WKr.png?1

[South] [Southeast]

Beast-Warrior

2000 / LINK-2

2 FIRE monsters

Cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card is Link Summoned: You can destroy 1 FIRE Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged-Beast monster in your Deck. If a "Fire King" monster you control would be destroyed by battle: You can destroy 1 monster this card points to instead. If this card is destroyed by battle: You can target 1 "Fire King" monster in your GY, except "Fire King High Avatar Agni"; Special Summon it, but it is destroyed during the End Phase.

Helps keep field presence when Garunix explodes and helps maintain Arvata (Ganesha)'s OPT negation. Also gets Nephthys/Garunix out faster.

[spoiler=Flavor Notes]

• Agni is the Hindu god of FIRE.
  • Also refers to one of the guardian deities of direction, found in Southeast corners of temples. (Makes it perfect for Links and arrows.)

Well I have no experience with Link monsters as my internet sucks, so lets see how I do.

[spoiler=Chimeratech Wyvern]Chimeratech Wyvern
DARK
[south-East] / [south-West]
Machine/Link/Effect

2 LIGHT Machine-type monsters

When this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 "Cyber Dragon" in your GY; Special Summon it. If you Special Summon a Machine-type Fusion monster: You can target 1 card on the field; send it to the GY. You can only activate each effect of "Chimeratech Wyvern" once per turn. This card's name becomes "Cyber Dragon" while it is on the field.

2100 / Link 2

Archived