TCG Banlist Effective November 6th 2017

Also, I declare one MEME:

Have you ever considered that sometimes, when a card is borken, it's not because Kinamo missed it but because they want it to be

Have you also considered that if they let Zoodiac play out for full format(s) that they don't usually plan on emergency hitting their Obviously Best Decks
And have you finally considered that a diverse format where there are no Obvious Best Decks is not and probably hasn't recently been any sort of design goal for Nimako

Have you ever considered that sometimes, when a card is borken, it's not because Kinamo missed it but because they want it to be
Have you also considered that if they let Zoodiac play out for full format(s) that they don't usually plan on emergency hitting their Obviously Best Decks
And have you finally considered that a diverse format where there are no Obvious Best Decks is not and probably hasn't recently been any sort of design goal for Nimako

Kinda dissapointed that only SPYRALs were adressed, given the fact that TCG lists are inconsistent on date release, but i guess is better than nothing.

Nevertheless they could release other stuff as well, also i wonder how long will grinder golem shenanigans will be legal

HAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, It doesn't murder them, but now they HAVE to rely on helix to go off, so a cherries should neutralize any big plays they had in mind.  

I found Ghost Ogre was the best against Double Helix as it both destroys it and prevents its effect to add/Special Summon from resolving, and they can't do it again because they've already attempted it. With Cherries you ensure Double Helix will never happen, but they still have the materials they'd use for it and can go for another Link with them or whatever from there.

If there's one complaint I could make it's that Trickstars are still at full power in the TCG, but other than that I'm really happy with how the game's shaping up right now and in the foreseeable future. 

To be honest I enjoyed a lot of the f***ery that came with this format and had a decent amount of fun coming up with ways to beat SPYRAL and looking at other peoples strategies. Still glad it's gone as a game should never be decided by you drawing or not drawing a hand trap but it was still entertaining for me nonetheless. 

I found Ghost Ogre was the best against Double Helix as it both destroys it and prevents its effect to add/Special Summon from resolving, and they can't do it again because they've already attempted it. With Cherries you ensure Double Helix will never happen, but they still have the materials they'd use for it and can go for another Link with them or whatever from there.

I feel like people definitely slept hard on Ogre. Was definitely MVP for me along with D&Lb and Gamma. 

Interesting. So TCG finally took advantage of "no banlist dates = hit problems on the spot if necessary" for once, and no "adjustment list" bullshit names or "the list starts taking effect today" timings. An actual official new list announcing things within the reasonable time window of a week from now.

I'm happy they addressed it, but unhappy that, since it is an actual list, it doesn't give us back some of the worthless unbans people want to have.

Well, whatever, it was a 1 or 2 month long format so it can slide xD

I wonder if the deck can still compete after they reduced its consistency this much though.

Drone was a very big hit. I think a lot of people underestimate how versatile it was and like Quik-Fix none of its effects are once per turn. Not only can it stack your opponent to guarantee Super Agent and Double Helix go off, it banishes itself from the Graveyard for a free recursion of Super Agent and it can Tribute itself as a Quick Effect to buff a SPYRAL's ATK by up to 6000 (generally 3000-3500 where it's relevant), and being a SPYRAL Gear it was searchable off Quik-Fix. Machine Dupe it and you can buff ATK by 5-figure numbers easily, and being able to direct attack with Last Resort this would come up to end games very suddenly. It and Quik-Fix both being at 3 also made for easy Rank 1's including Princessprite, Independent Nightingale and Ghostrick Dullahan, which detached Quik-Fix to prevent it from banishing itself. In general Drone was a critical card for SPYRAL being what it was post-CIBR. A fair few top SPYRAL decks ran only 2 Super Agent, but it was always 3 Drone even in decks that chose not to run Machine Dupe.   

I won't dwell on the SPYRAL hits very much, because there's not terribly much to say. They'll probably still be the top deck, if not one of the top decks (expect Magicians, possible Metalfoes, possibly True Dracos to slip back into the spotlight to some degree). Otherwise, these are my thoughts:

[spoiler=Thots]

6Mmqwpx.png

That said, the hit I wanna talk about is Gofu, because as far as banlist moves go, I really, really hate this hit. For starters, no format actually has Needlefibre yet, and the TCG doesn't have Best Link Skulldoot yet. While Gofu enabled Skulldoot incredibly well, it wasn't an overwhelmingly good play. It was strong, it was great for so many decks because Skulldoot is, as a whole, a very strong card, but at no point did I feel it was too strong. If anything, it enabled decks so very well. I tested it in U.A.'s and other decks, and the results lead to very functional builds that could stand toe-to-toe with more modern decks. This is a GOOD thing. Gofu enabled link plays for so many decks in an efficient manner that neither stole the show from the decks in-house plays, nor was it too good that seeing it proc became close to a win-button.

But, again, the TCG doesn't have Needlefibre or Skulldoot yet. It's incredibly, incredibly annoying because this wasn't even a case of "yes but meta deck use generic power tech better than casul deck". To be frank, Gofu resulted in the same monsters for both generic and meta, and I feel like it had an overall very positive effect on the game. Hitting this card doesn't change the balance of power in the meta game at all, all it stands to do is hurt every deck and just make the game, as a whole, less fun to play.

Honestly, as a card, Gofu was great, but its strength wasn't so much that I felt it deserved such a hit any time soon.

Okay, I'm seeing this a lot as people's main reaction to the list. There are a bunch of cards that people can replace their Gofus with.

Scapegoat is not as terrible as people think. Cyber Dragon doubles as both Link material and Chimeratech Megafleet Dragon (which, if you scrap an opposing Decode Talker and get a Megafleet is worth more than a Gofu). Instant Fusion is a versatile free Special Summon that can be anything from Thousand-Eyes Restrict for Linkuriboh to Karbonola Warrior for Rank 4's/Nat Beast to Panzer Dragon for Cyber Dragon Infinity to Sea Monster of Theseus for a Tuner. Grinder Golem with Akashic Magician is already an option, and is more or less balanced pre-Security Dragon. Eater of Millions is a free Special Summon and Linkuriboh fodder. Gofu was obviously better than all of these, people could play them regardless of their deck, it was easy, it could be a Decode Talker to protect both frontrow and backrow, it could be a Ningirsu for non-targeting non-destroying spot removal that could be laddered from there, it was Allure fodder, it was 3 monsters for the price of what, it was a Tuner, it still let you Normal Summon for any Link-4 and beyond shenanigans you might have and... it's still at 1. I think it's time people started branching out, I think the hit was pretty predictable with it being at 1 in the OCG, and I don't think it being at 3 was particularly swell for the game and it certainly won't be once the aforementioned Needlefiber and Skulldeat are at large. 

As for the best deck right now, Trickstars are looking pretty scary. They were the second best deck in SPYRAL format, some of which can be attributed to the fact that they naturally main Droll & Lock Bird, but that's still a card that hurts Pendulum Magicians a lot. They're at full power in the TCG and did receive additional support in Narkissus and Black Catbat (I don't think they saw play at Dallas, but they are there, they're not bad, and extra options don't hurt them.) Being a main anime character's deck, they'll likely continue to receive support as well.

Archived