How to properly write a Trap that can activate the same turn it's Set, but with an extra cost if you do so?

kevintriedge

Question

I want to make a Trap Card that already has a cost, but can be activated the same turn it's Set if you're willing to pay an extra cost. The question is, how to properly write them? Current pool of real Trap Cards that can activate the same turn it's Set only has conditions, not extra cost.

Example of what I have in mind:

Send 1 card from your hand to the GY, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it.

Now, it can be activated in the same turn it's Set, but if you do so, you have to pay 1000 LP on top of the send cost.

I thought of something like, "You can activate this card the turn it is Set. If you activate this card the turn it is Set, pay 1000 LP, also, send 1 card from your hand to the GY, then [...]", but the syntax makes it rather ambiguous in my opinion.

Thank you in advance!

5 answers to this question

I think it would make the most sense to either add the extra cost at the beginning or end of the description. The example you gave personally doesn't make sense to me because the "also" makes it sounds like the card's original effect comes only after you've paid the extra cost, and doesn't give the option of not having to pay it. I think it would work better if it was written as such:

Send 1 card from your hand to the GY, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it. You can pay 1000 LP to activate this card the same turn it was Set.

It has yet to be done, but here's the most likely way it would be worded:

You can activate this card the turn it was Set, but if you do, you must discard 1 card after this effect resolves.

I thought of that, but by adding the drawback at resolution, it relieves the user of potential risks of negation.

For the moment, I feel like Kid Gambino's wording makes sense. 

Thank you everyone for helping! ^^

It's "This card can be activated the turn it was Set." but it seems there's also a lot of "it can be activated this turn." when another Spell/Trap card Sets that card, since I guess "the turn it was Set" becomes redundant.

Examples:

Shade Brigandine (The actual wording you're looking for) The_Phantom_Knights_of_Shade_Brigandine

One of my cards from a couple days ago: [DPR]-basically-the-card-that'll-make-your-opponent-afraid-when-you-set-spell/traps-in-the-mp1

Dimension Slice (older but still accurate enough for conditional activation the turn it was set) Dimension_Slice

Boogie Trap (although refers to another card being Set so the wording is different): Boogie Trap

Booby Trap E (same situation as ^^) Booby_Trap_E

Archived