Does an artist's/actor's personal actions affect how you view their work? (Kevin Spacey controversy)

Fusion X. Denver

So I've been meaning to watch House of Cards, right? Heard it was a good show.

I'm sure you've all heard that Kevin Spacey just got outed for coming onto a 14 year-old boy way back when. And Netflix has now decided to cancel the show.

I'm thinking to myself wondering if I'd be able to watch HoC now knowing the awful thing he did. 

I remember too when Chris Brown beat the crap out of Rihanna, how horrible that was. Yet, it didn't really affect his overall sales.

What do you guys think, would you not like Harry Potter as much if you met JK Rowling and she was rude to you? Or an inverse, would you like Sword Art Online an iota more if Reki Kawahara was a super cool guy?

When it comes to this situation, I think I probably will still watch it and will at least try to separate it from Spacey's actions, but we'll see.

But if say The Cosby Show comes on, there's just no way in hell I can watch any of it anymore without avoiding what Cosby did. It's impossible.

Maybe the severity of their actions is a factor too?

(also discuss kevin spacey if you want)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No reasons to, unless their actions or worldviews bleeds heavily into the work as an unwelcome element. And even if the creator is super cool, I wouldn't enjoy their work if it's just bad.

Lovecraft is a good example of this. Dude's a whack and his overly paranoiac worldview affects his works a lot, but he put it in real good use in his works and his works are still enjoyable in spite of (or even, because of) it.

Granted, sometimes the reputation would end up becoming too much to make anything with the creator enjoyable and you might worship someone so much that you'd eat all their products, but yeah

as a side note, reki apparently is actaully quite a nice guy in real life. doesnt make SAO better but it gets too much hate for what's ultimately a mediocre show.

onto the main topic, no matter how terrible someone is irl, if they have enough talent to make something enjoyable i'll respect that much. on the other hand, no matter how nice someone is irl if they cant write well or at least something i enjoy, that won't win my respect.

Gotcha, seems like everyone is on the same page on this then. I think I can watch HoC guilt-free in this case.

I guess it depends. If I really like what they made or appeared in, I can usually look past personal stuff. Michael Jackson's an example of that. Despite any controversy when he was alive, I still very much enjoyed the music he produced and still enjoy it to this day.

That's a good example, I'll always jam out to MJ despite the sheet he pulled. 

Look at it this way: You can skip the credits or put some tape on a book's author name and you won't see anything you're browsing/watching change.

Also I think you or cowcow asked this before

That is indeed very possible/likely, though that's the 7th Fear thread we've had over the past few years and I remember other hobby threads in the past so I figured who cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah, I'm not bothered by a professional's personal lives or any scandals or anything. Like how Mike Tyson is my favorite boxer. And I didn't know that about Kevin Spacey, I don't really follow celebrity news, because as I've said I don't care about their personal lives. I'm sad that HoC is getting canceled.

Simply put, in a lot of cases one thing has nothing to do with the other.

From what I understand, House of Cards was originally going to end with its sixth season anyway. It's just that, in light of the Kevin Spacey controversy, they'd rather be done with that season - and therefore the entire show - faster than they intended.

It depends on the circumstance. I believe Amber Heard that she was abused by Johnny Depp, but at the same time, I still have no problems enjoying films with Johnny Depp.

On the other hand, I've made it pretty clear about the feud I'd have with Dan Slott. In a way, part of it is just that his Spider-Man work isn't that good to begin with, but I think that just as a reader may have some difficult separating the story from the author, Dan Slott himself cannot separate himself from his own work. He stalks people. If someone offers a less-than-flattering critique, Slott is completely malicious in his retaliation. Certain message boards are even more toxic than this site at its worst precisely because Slott seeks control over the conversation.

It's difficult to like Dan Slott's work in spite of his attitude. He's a bully because people don't like his work. He feels entitled to accolades, adoration, and nothing less than blind loyalty to him and his work. It creates a vicious cycle, where if I don't like his work, he harasses me, and because he harassed me, I'm not inclined to like his work, except then that gives him even more of a reason to harass me.

From what I understand, House of Cards was originally going to end with its sixth season anyway. It's just that, in light of the Kevin Spacey controversy, they'd rather be done with that season - and therefore the entire show - faster than they intended.

It depends on the circumstance. I believe Amber Heard that she was abused by Johnny Depp, but at the same time, I still have no problems enjoying films with Johnny Depp.

On the other hand, I've made it pretty clear about the feud I'd have with Dan Slott. In a way, part of it is just that his Spider-Man work isn't that good to begin with, but I think that just as a reader may have some difficult separating the story from the author, Dan Slott himself cannot separate himself from his own work. He stalks people. If someone offers a less-than-flattering critique, Slott is completely malicious in his retaliation. Certain message boards are even more toxic than this site at its worst precisely because Slott seeks control over the conversation.

It's difficult to like Dan Slott's work in spite of his attitude. He's a bully because people don't like his work. He feels entitled to accolades, adoration, and nothing less than blind loyalty to him and his work. It creates a vicious cycle, where if I don't like his work, he harasses me, and because he harassed me, I'm not inclined to like his work, except then that gives him even more of a reason to harass me.

Abuse is a little different than Pedophilia isn't it? Amber was a grown woman, and I'm a little skeptical. Not saying it's not true, but if it was physical she should press charges

Spacey reportedly went after 14 year olds, who can't defend themselves, and I've heard CA has statutes of limitation on when you can press Sexual Assault charges

By the time you know what happened, it's too late. I'm also really annoyed as a non-straight person that he pulled the gay card to blunt the damage. LGB people have been smeared as pedos for years to discredit us, and him throwing us under the bus to clean his own sheet is kinda low life

Anyway, Season 6 is on indefinite halt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/10/31/house-of-cards-suspends-production-indefinitely-amid-kevin-spacey-scandal/

Abuse is a little different than Pedophilia isn't it? Amber was a grown woman, and I'm a little skeptical. Not saying it's not true, but if it was physical she should press charges

Yes, it's different, but this thread is about any kind of personal action. I didn't think it was necessary to state that they are two different things.

LGB people have been smeared as pedos for years to discredit us, and him throwing us under the bus to clean his own sheet is kinda low life

*LGBT

Yes, it's different, but this thread is about any kind of personal action. I didn't think it was necessary to state that they are two different things.

*LGBT

Sorta, slightly different in my opinion

The Bathroom issue was framed that way, but LGB people have historically been accused of being sympathetic to pedophilia

Trans people are denied something they want because of claims pedophiles might abuse it.

Beyond that, I'm not taking this bait

----------------

It's different cause KS offers political commentary. Can't take that he's a talented actor away from him, but I sure as hell can say I don't care for his political preaching if this is what he does on his free time

----------------

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41829484

Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos claims Spacey "routinely preyed" on young male actors

Just sad

Filmmaker Tony Montana says a drunken Spacey confronted him in 2003 at a trendy L.A. pub, groping his genitals.

When I hear stuff like this, I end up not caring about KS's views on matters

It seems like what happened with Harvey Weinstein. Since Anthony Rapp spoke up, other people are taking the opportunity to speak up against Kevin Spacey. That, and all the allegations against Weinstein set a precedent where people can build their case, and finally let their voices be heard. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that means we probably wouldn't be hearing about Spacey without all that's been said about Weinstein.

That's really the worst thing here. We can talk about Kevin Spacey, but so many of his issues aren't actually unique to him. It's a recurring problem throughout the industry, so Kevin Spacey is only one of many. That's what makes the general question posed by this thread so difficult to answer. Because it's not just "This actor/artist/writer's actions makes me hard to enjoy their work." You have to worry about how many times this is going to happen, how widespread this is. And how often you're willing to separate the creator from their work before you draw the line.

It seems like what happened with Harvey Weinstein. Since Anthony Rapp spoke up, other people are taking the opportunity to speak up against Kevin Spacey. That, and all the allegations against Weinstein set a precedent where people can build their case, and finally let their voices be heard. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that means we probably wouldn't be hearing about Spacey without all that's been said about Weinstein.

That's really the worst thing here. We can talk about Kevin Spacey, but so many of his issues aren't actually unique to him. It's a recurring problem throughout the industry, so Kevin Spacey is only one of many. That's what makes the general question posed by this thread so difficult to answer. Because it's not just "This actor/artist/writer's actions makes me hard to enjoy their work." You have to worry about how many times this is going to happen, how widespread this is. And how often you're willing to separate the creator from their work before you draw the line.

Can you enjoy a movie by a pedophile? Can you enjoy a book by an anti-Semite?

By all accounts Walt Disney wasn't clean either, but I'll def show my kids Mickey Mouse

Nuance is the answer IMO, yes, these people are filth, but they were talented at something. Being filth does not negate the latter.

------------

Corey Feldman is someone you should look into then. The ball has just started rolling, a lot of filth is gonna come out now that the momentum is there. This reminds me of the catholic priest exposee

I don't want any LGBT discussion in this thread.  Keep that in debates, and keep your discussion to the topic at hand.  Otherwise, carry on.

Really? Even when it directly ties into the discussion topic, Kevin Spacey?

It's like, he's gay and a sexual assaulter. He gets outed as a sexual assaulter so he comes out as gay. Feels like double slap in the face, one because he actually assaulted people, and a second for smearing our community.

As for whether I'd consume media by detestable people, it affects me to certain degrees. It's not something I tend to consciously think about, but something a bit more emotional for me. If I know that someone has done something awful, then the sight of their face will remind me of that. If they're acting as a main role in a telly programme, that's going to affect my ability to enjoy that programme.

As a very extreme example, imagine going back and watching episodes of Jim'll Fix It.

Really? Even when it directly ties into the discussion topic, Kevin Spacey?

Him coming out as gay is related to himself as an actor, not him being a sexual predator.  Sexual misconduct has nothing to do with being gay, straight, or anything else.  Gay people get harassed as well.  And that's precisely why I don't want any discussion of it in this thread.  Keep the topic to the accusations of which Stacey has been accused and whether or not this affects your opinion of his work (and other actors/persons in power as well).

So yeah, really.

In light of all the other allegations that are coming out and him getting fired, I think I've lost any interest I had in watching the show.

Anyways, here's hoping this is the start of Hollywood holding itself more accountable. I just hope to god Tom Hanks never did anything, my soul would crumble.

As a Tom Hanks fan, I'm gonna need you to stop. Oh my God. What about Morgan Freeman? I would break down.

Archived