Impossible Draw [Written]

MetaSkipper

Impossible Draw – Quick-Play Spell Card
When you would draw a card, instead: Banish the top card of your Deck, select one card from your Extra Deck, and place it in your hand. Treat that monster as an Effect Monster (whose Level is equal to its given Level, Rank, or Link Rating) until it is sent to the GY, sent to the Deck, banished, or after successfully Summoning it from the Hand. (You may summon that monster only through Normal Summoning or non-specific Special Summoning, ignoring other Summoning conditions. All monsters without a DEF have a DEF of 0.)

Intended Interactions

• If the monster affected (herein referred to as “the monster”) is sent from the Hand to the Deck, it ceases to be treated as an Effect Monster, and returns to the Extra Deck.
  • After the monster is successfully summoned, it ceases to be treated as an Effect Monster.
  • The monster may not be summoned the way listed on the card (e.g. You may not summon a Synchro monster by Synchro Summoning.)
  • Because of this, effects that relate to successful monster-specific summoning methods or material do not trigger. However, all other effects do trigger.
  • If you summon a Link Monster affected by this card face-down, upon being flipped, change it to Attack Position. If you summon a Link Monster affected by this card in face-up Defense Position, immediately switch it to Attack Position.

Ruminating on it...

• Fusion Monsters become easier to summon than otherwise allowed, and most should be able to use their abilities.(I'm not familiar with any Fusion Monsters that rely on being specifically Fusion Summoned.)
  • Xyz Monsters (especially low Rank ones) become much easier to summon, but some (many? most?) are severely gimped because they are summoned without material. Still, they should represent a stat upgrade.
  • Link Monsters are also significantly easier to summon, but are less likely to be gimped unless one is sloppy with their Link Arrows.
  • Synchro Monsters don't really benefit in ease of summoning, but most don't lose out on their abilities, either.

This seems like a card that would require too many specific rulings to function. I initially thought it was meant to give you back Pendulums that went off to the Extra Deck, but the idea that it can grab something else is gonna be a pain.

Fusions and Synchros are probably ok, despite specific effects not going off for lack of proper materials (such as Quasar not attacking at all because you used 0 materials and instead probably Tribute Summoned it), but then it has to specifically add a clause to convert Ranks into Levels for Xyz, a clause to somehow end up with Defense Position set Links that will force into Attack Position once the game discovers they were Links, and I'm not so sure anymore.

Ignoring the part where this card should probably belong in Experimental Cards due to the mechanic of pure Extra Deck monster mechanics existing in one's hand, I think the card would need to be broken down/divided into alternative cards projected towards their own Extra Deck mechanic. Like, what did you primarily have in mind when you came up with the idea? Synchros? Fusions? Xyzs? IMO it should go for one of them and ignore the rest and the specific traits needed to sustain their ability to be used with it. It also would give you more control over what can potentially break this card's balance.

This seems like a card that would require too many specific rulings to function. I initially thought it was meant to give you back Pendulums that went off to the Extra Deck, but the idea that it can grab something else is gonna be a pain.

Fusions and Synchros are probably ok, despite specific effects not going off for lack of proper materials (such as Quasar not attacking at all because you used 0 materials and instead probably Tribute Summoned it), but then it has to specifically add a clause to convert Ranks into Levels for Xyz, a clause to somehow end up with Defense Position set Links that will force into Attack Position once the game discovers they were Links, and I'm not so sure anymore.

Ignoring the part where this card should probably belong in Experimental Cards due to the mechanic of pure Extra Deck monster mechanics existing in one's hand, I think the card would need to be broken down/divided into alternative cards projected towards their own Extra Deck mechanic. Like, what did you primarily have in mind when you came up with the idea? Synchros? Fusions? Xyzs? IMO it should go for one of them and ignore the rest and the specific traits needed to sustain their ability to be used with it. It also would give you more control over what can potentially break this card's balance.

The main reason I didn't put this in Experimental Cards was that ​I forgot Experimental Cards existed​ I was positing only one card for a one-off mechanic. If I were to make a family, I would most likely put it in Experimental Cards now that I am older and wiser​.

But suppose an alternative that only allowed for Extra Deck monsters that had levels. Knock on wood, as long as Konami doesn't get it in their heads to have a funky Special Summon that also involves monsters with Levels, it should only apply to Fusions and Synchros, which should be relatively safe and should not require as many funky clauses and rulings.

Impossible Draw – Quick-Play Spell Card

When you would draw a card, instead: Banish the top card of your Deck, select one card from your Extra Deck whose Level is 0 or greater, and place it in your hand. (You must play this card before you draw and look at the card.) Treat that monster as an Effect Monster until it is sent to the GY, sent to the Deck, banished, or after successfully Summoning it from the Hand. (You may summon that monster only through Normal Summoning or non-specific Special Summoning, ignoring other Summoning conditions.)

EDIT: Removed "no DEF stat" clause and added a clarifier about drawing.

New version is much better.

Adding a Fusion or Synchro monster to the hand is a very unique idea, and I don't think it ever has been done before. The whole point of Fusions and Synchros, however, is that they can't be in the hand. That's what makes this card so unique, but also what may make it a headache for judges. It might also be a tad overpowered, due to cards like Quasar existing, but it doesn't affect Xyz monsters or Link monsters, which would tend to have better effects, especially in the former's case. (and also because you would still need Tributes for high level monsters) The banish cost I feel balances this card out.

All in all, 10/10 for uniqueness, 10/10 for creativity, 8/10 for balance, and 6/10 for not causing ruling headaches.

New version is much better.

Adding a Fusion or Synchro monster to the hand is a very unique idea, and I don't think it ever has been done before. The whole point of Fusions and Synchros, however, is that they can't be in the hand. That's what makes this card so unique, but also what may make it a headache for judges. It might also be a tad overpowered, due to cards like Quasar existing, but it doesn't affect Xyz monsters or Link monsters, which would tend to have better effects, especially in the former's case. (and also because you would still need Tributes for high level monsters) The banish cost I feel balances this card out.

All in all, 10/10 for uniqueness, 10/10 for creativity, 8/10 for balance, and 6/10 for not causing ruling headaches.

I'm sure someone​ before thought it was cool or dumb​ enough to try.

Although I don't doubt that there might be a cheeky combo possible, I don't think Shooting Quasar Dragon is going to be one of them. Quote:

This card's [shooting Quasar Dragon] maximum number of attacks per Battle Phase equals the number of non-Tuner monsters used as its Synchro Material.

If you either Tribute Summoned it or non-specific Special Summoned it, you would have used zero monsters as ​Synchro​ Material. So it would actually have no attacks.

In my opinion, the first idea was good. A card that allows you to put an Extra Deck monster into your hand by banishing the top card (face up or down?). And as you said, the Extra Deck on summon effects won't work due to not being summoned by their summoning method. And Xyz monsters won't be able to use their detach effects because of lack of materials. This would make cards like Overlay Regen more playable (if they already not). Another drawback is if the opponent destroys it, then the Extra deck monster can't be Special Summoned from the graveyard due to not being summoned by their summoning method first. I can also see decks such as Monarch that locks out their Extra deck putting this in use. And if an opponent is using Vanity's Emptiness or similar, this card can get around it by getting an Extra Deck monster to hand and summoning it through a Tribute Summon, so one would also look out for Mausoleum of the Emperor to see a bit more play as well. So the pros and cons balance one another out. If you would add one more limit to the card, then it should be that you can only use it once per turn or cannot Special Summon that turn the card is used.

In my opinion, the first idea was good. A card that allows you to put an Extra Deck monster into your hand by banishing the top card (face up or down?). And as you said, the Extra Deck on summon effects won't work due to not being summoned by their summoning method. And Xyz monsters won't be able to use their detach effects because of lack of materials. This would make cards like Overlay Regen more playable (if they already not). Another drawback is if the opponent destroys it, then the Extra deck monster can't be Special Summoned from the graveyard due to not being summoned by their summoning method first. I can also see decks such as Monarch that locks out their Extra deck putting this in use. And if an opponent is using Vanity's Emptiness or similar, this card can get around it by getting an Extra Deck monster to hand and summoning it through a Tribute Summon, so one would also look out for Mausoleum of the Emperor to see a bit more play as well. So the pros and cons balance one another out. If you would add one more limit to the card, then it should be that you can only use it once per turn or cannot Special Summon that turn the card is used.

The primary complaint about the card isn't so much balance. I think the original version is perfectly balanced. The problem is that it could turn into a ruling nightmare. I did my best to cover my bases in the original card text and (intended) interactions/rulings, but the fact I had to put three different explanatory parenthetical sentences and five intended interactions gives away the goose that it could get messy.

Archived