Halloween 2017 Wrap-Up

The Mayor

[spoiler=I'll start this with an apology]

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of me proposing this event to the mod team. Up until about a week and a half ago, I was under the impression that I would be able to handle the maintenance of this event, but as I am sure is abundantly clear to you all, that simply is not the case. I started a new job about a month ago, and the workload increased significantly over the last two weeks. This was not something I saw coming, but I admit I could have maintained better control over the event during said time. This, combined with the fact that my personal life has had numerous issues recently, resulted in a regrettably overwhelming amount of stress. This stress prevented me from giving this year's masquerade the attention it deserved.

To those concerned about what this means for the future of this site's halloween events, I will not be hosting the event next year, barring unforeseen circumstances. I can't say who will be doing it, since I am not a mod and kinda just seized this event with a ton of gifs I sent black a year ago, but it won't be me. Probably Yui, but don't quote me on that.

Welcome, one and all! This is the end! The finale! The moment I am sure you all have been waiting for! It's time for...

THE UNMASKING!!!

[spoiler=Drumroll, please!]

Myself: Rick Sanchez

Metalsonic: Heavy Weapons Guy

Black: DANGANRONPA

Enguin: M. Night Shyamalan

Saiku: Bowser

~British Soul~: Leonard Church

Chaos Sonic: Ivan Ooze

Yui: Erma. Ok. This one is more complicated. I did several of her posts during the first day and a half, because yui had no computer.

GarlandChaos: Shu

Zaiduck: Godzilla

Speedroid: Murtaugh

The Nyx Avatar: Void

~Faytl~: Splendorman

The Amazing Avian: The Undertaker

Kazooie: Dahlia Hawthorne

Tesability Black: Flavius

Broken: Dr Nefarious Tropy

Moog: Elon

Striker: The Joker

Poilaris: D-Hero Malicious

Surprised? I gotta say, a few of these really knocked it out of the park! Speaking of which, time to switch to super serious font for a few special thanks!

Black: Gotta hand it to you, man. You helped me plan the event, and I am pretty sure you were a big part of getting it approved in the first place. Usami gave us great fun over the summer, and you introduced some fun variety in how you played your monster during the event. At this point, neither of us are mods, but we knew this event better than the whole team combined. Well. Until I funking died.

Yui: My main man, my inside job, my mole. Having a friend with mod superpowers is hella helpful, especially when trying to make something like this happen. Sakura gets a mention here as well, since he knows the ACP better than just about anyone, and could do some really great stuff to help now that he is a super mod. And not just these two. I am greatly appreciative of the entire team for giving my the opportunity to run this shitshow.

CowCow: Thank you. That was all I could say when you told me you were helping with guess approval. The last week has been hell on me, and you are the person who stopped the event from falling apart completely. You did a great job with Mauvache, and a great job picking up my own slack. You are an awesome friend, and a hell of an ally.

My 19 monsters: Yeah, I already named Black and Yui, but even so. My monster barely showed up, so it was up to you all to run the show. And run it you did. While I was still able to keep up with the event, I loved almost everything I saw out of you guys, and will definitely be sifting through backlog for weeks. To name a few names, I particularly enjoyed Erma, Ivan Ooze, Heavy Weapons Guy, Shyamalan, and Splendorman.

For a bit of a cliche, this is the part where I thank all of you, YCM: Seriously. I have had a really difficult two weeks, for reasons I can't begin to go into here, and even as I completely lost my grip on this storm I started, I received nothing but support. No death threats, nobody telling me I funked up, just people saying they appreciated what work I was able to do. Seriously, guys, you all are awesome. With this new job and all these new personal obligations, I don't know just how much I will frequent the forum, but I can't see myself leaving completely with a crowd this awesome.

Now, I am sure some of you are wondering about tickets! Due to my schedule, I cannot sort all that out at this moment, but tomorrow will bring a post in this thread detailing how everyone did in the Monster Hunt, in Monster Duels, and everyone's ticket totals! Then, those tickets will be converted to the points you all earned.

Until next time,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

KR6cVkK.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit my Tropy was pretty half-assed because I wasn't fully prepared for the event, so my choices weren't the best in mind. I had honestly considered Megabyte or Hexadecimal from the Rebbot franchise, but I couldn't think of good games for them. The game thing kinda stymied my choices, which is why I had to relent to being N. Tropy instead. If given a chance next year I'll have something better prepared.

Usami will be hosting an awards discussion thread for thoughts/improvements/suggestiosn for the next iteration of the event. However, it will be tomorrow, as I don't have time to sleep now.

Similarly, may come back with more thoughts here when I get the chance.

Usami will be hosting an awards discussion thread for thoughts/improvements/suggestiosn for the next iteration of the event. However, it will be tomorrow, as I don't have time to sleep now.

Similarly, may come back with more thoughts here when I get the chance.

Huh. Genuinely would not have expected you as Usami/DANGANRONPA. Honestly the most surprising masquerade.

Huh. Genuinely would not have expected you as Usami/DANGANRONPA. Honestly the most surprising masquerade.

I will be coming back to this, but I want you to know how genuinely happy I was when you repped Giga's post about Usami meaning well/wanting people to have fun. The fact that you of all people enjoyed the Awards/could appreciate them made me happy, and made me feel validated in choosing to use a mask. I knew I'd be too divisive if I did it straight-up, so I wanted to use innocent and sweet Usami as a clean slate for people to come together and celebrate the community with the awards.

Yes, it is I, the grandmaster godmodder Murtaugh.

*bows*

Thank you, Garland and Tesability for our little fight. It was a little bit difficult at times, but overall I think and hope we provided some entertainment to the fickle masses.

I'd like to recommend the point and click escape game series "Submachine" by Mateusz Skutnik. He sells HD downloadable versions of the games, but also hosts a free online version of them. The main storyline follows Murtaugh and others through notes left behind, and for my portrayal of him I took elements from throughout his story and mixed them up. He probably isn't nearly as powerful as I showed him to be, since I wanted to put on a bit of show and take his powers to the logical extremes.

Play it here: http://www.mateuszskutnik.com/submachine/

I will be coming back to this, but I want you to know how genuinely happy I was when you repped Giga's post about Usami meaning well/wanting people to have fun. The fact that you of all people enjoyed the Awards/could appreciate them made me happy, and made me feel validated in choosing to use a mask. I knew I'd be too divisive if I did it straight-up, so I wanted to use innocent and sweet Usami as a clean slate for people to come together and celebrate the community with the awards.

...Probably could have done without the bolded part.

But yes, I think Usami works well for letting people have fun, and it was a good choice for a clean slate while still carrying some meaning.

...Probably could have done without the bolded part.

But yes, I think Usami works well for letting people have fun, and it was a good choice for a clean slate while still carrying some meaning.

That... came across wrong. I’m sorry about that.

I meant that the person I never expected to enjoy something I did was able to enjoy it due to masquerading. It made me glad that I chose to put on the mask, because it gave you the opportunity to enjoy it without having to see me in every move made.

That... came across wrong. I’m sorry about that.

I meant that the person I never expected to enjoy something I did was able to enjoy it due to masquerading. It made me glad that I chose to put on the mask, because it gave you the opportunity to enjoy it without having to see me in every move made.

Thank you.

This probably isn't helping matters, but I had a really bad experience with someone who introduced me to DanganRonpa that soured me a lot on that series. I think it's for the best that I honestly would have never expected it to be you. If anything, I would have seen that other guy instead of you, but that's my personal experience outside of this site, which is why I wanted to be a bit more carefree, such as with the Hiyoko thread.

...Also, I seriously apologize if the snide comments in the Byakuya thread seemed passive-aggressive towards you. It was honestly meant only to poke fun at Byakuya as a character, so I hope those didn't have another layer to them.

Sorry if any of this sounds like spitting in your face. I appreciate that you honestly are trying to express gratitude, and I don't want to undermine that in any way. I just think that, since this is the wrap-up thread for Halloween, might as well vent all this out now and then be done with it.

Y'know, I think it might have helped if we were alerted well in advance (like 2-3 months earlier) about the games, so people interested in participating could think up their ideas earlier and refine them better. I felt the sudden and short time reveal of the games gimmick left me in a loop as I had to rush my planning out, and it ultimately squashed most of the monster ideas I had due to needing to rush out a game gimmick.

Y'know, I think it might have helped if we were alerted well in advance (like 2-3 months earlier) about the games, so people interested in participating could think up their ideas earlier and refine them better. I felt the sudden and short time reveal of the games gimmick left me in a loop as I had to rush my planning out, and it ultimately squashed most of the monster ideas I had due to needing to rush out a game gimmick.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I could have done something far more fitting of The Joker, though that also assumes that I signed up as early as I could. >>

I always thought Yui was Heavy... until yesterday when I just got a weird feeling he was Erma. Before that, I thought Nyx was Erma.

Other than that, I didn't guess anyone, except Enguin cuz he was obvious.

I'm mostly shocked about Giga's and Black's identities. Rick was hard to guess since he wasn't really active, but Danganronpa... it didn't feel like Black at all. Then again he was acting as multiple people.

You guys were good.

Oh, so Black was Usami all along? Never saw this coming since I would think he of all YCM users would see how granting awards to artists and CC reviewers back in summer was as a good idea; but once Usami shot the suggestions down I assumed the person behind had to be someone who isn't familiar with those 2 roles, nor appreciates them. I have been misled since then, thinking Usami was, let's say, Yui xD

Oh right, I'm curious about the decks the monsters were piloting. Skulldeat was mentioned earlier, but I thought the card was leaked after the monsters submitted the decks? Then they shouldn't have been able to run it D:

I see. SPYRALs, Skulldeat and whatnot were the reasons I didn't feel like challenging to duels this year in the end. Not only I had to come up with a deck that both I liked and had any chances at winning, also I had to deal with the crazy stuff that SPYRALs and Skulldeat bring to the table, which means that about 1/4~1/3 of the deck should be hand traps, and without side-decking... yeah, it wasn't appealing at all for me. I started to build a True Invoked variant but then I realized it wouldn't be good enough anyway and lost motivation after that xD

If there is anything I can suggest for monster duels, is at least a custom banlist that deals with the most problematic cards, combos, etc. of the month.

I'm still pissed about the deck you used for a duel with a freaking monster. You have absolutely no sense of fun, and I sense now why you beat most of the people who challenged you if you used the same deck you used again me as N. Tropy.

Hey, this event is one for fun, and fun is absolutely subjective. Insulting people because they used a reasonably strong deck, and ran cards that are present in the metagame, is just poor manners.

As for information being given in advance, the original thread was nearly a month early, so "rushing out an idea" was far from needed, as I see it. It was going to go up a bit sooner than it did, but there was a whole mess about whether I was even allowed to post the thread.

Advice and input on the event absolutely belong in this thread, but it isn't a soapbox for insulting other people who chose to participate.

Archived