The Forbidden Spell: No Duplicates Style Win Con

Eshai

The Forbidden Spell

Spell - Normal

Banish all Spell Cards from your GY. If you banished 20 or more Spell Cards with different names, you win the duel. Your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to this activation if you banished 30 or more Spell Cards with different names. You cannot activate other Spell Cards the turn you activate this effect.

So yeah... excessive. I'm planning an archetype with this kind of card as the base. This is referencing a time period where Raigeki was banned, so they made a series of cards that kinda countering or trying to replace Raigeki called "Forbidden Spell". Flash of the Forbidden Spell is kinda like Raigeki but isn't as good, but then I wondered: "If the Flash destroys all of your opponent's monsters, how powerful is The Forbidden Spell?

I wanted to make it unlike Exodia or Blasting the Ruins where they were only useful when you meet the conditions, whereas this could be good for Banish Decks as a card similar to Soul Release but possibly better. It can be used early to potentially win the game, but since the effect is a cost then you might get screwed. If you Banish 30 or more Spells, then you're clear and just win, but this requires you to run 30 or more Spells with different names to pull off, so that might require more delicate Deck Building.

60 Card Decks with Grass is Greener sounds good, but I can still see an entire archetype of Spells that can only activate once per duel and possibly a monster or 2 for searchers. I'd really like to make some cool win condition cards that isn't as simple as Exodia, but more so I want a more dynamic way of using them. I might make it so it can banish "Forbidden Spell" cards with different names as well so its a bit more synergistic with the potential archetype and so I can include Traps to slow the Deck down. 

Not sure yet if I want this card in the DPR, but it seems interesting enough.

Appreciate constructive criticism, although if you're having a bad day you can bash me in the meanest way possible if that'll make you feel better. 

I remember Flash of the Forbidden Spell. Good times...

Anyways, this card is more interesting just for the deckbuilding idea of it. It's highly unlikely to get negated (no one really runs pure spell negation as it doesn't really come cheap), so really it's all about banishing 20. Realistically though, this kind of design, while interesting in prospect, is one of those that is just begging to be thrown into some kind of FTK. In terms of IRL cards, I'm thinking Reasoning/Monster Gate as immediate choices. Further, since this deals with similar end goals as the Magical Explosion FTK, both can be run together with little interference and a possible consistency boost.

(Damn I forgot about Reasoning) although even then it's not like Exodia hasn't been famous for FTKs until it became more Trap oriented. 

Alright well that sucks. How about I make it so it banishes all Spells in your GY, and then it takes in consideration the different names after the banish? That way it emphasizes the Deck building but doesn't really screw with how the card is used either way. This just makes sure you're limited to 1 Reasoning and 1 Monster Gate.

Second, maybe have it so you can't activate other Spells the turn you activate it? I really don't like the idea but it gives more consideration to the "this card cannot be negated" bit, since they can Set a bunch of cards knowing you have it to scare you off from activating it, and with the nature of the Deck you'd be running 2 so might at least be ok taking the risk. (It would also be a inherit HOPT).

Edits completed.

Also wanted to know if this would be cool for an archetype

I'm thinking a similar strain of the Tokenspam Alchemy Deck, like the one here, where having all spells and no Extra Deck can actually work in your favor if you've got the right blend of Token spammers to slow your opponent's roll. 

But for an ARCHETYPE? Maybe Exodia Turbo and Phantasms, if they can play out the game long enough. 

I love it though, 20 Spells to OTK'll make the Decks for it to work, love the card, love all the synergy it offers to builds like Alchemy Tokenspam....

Yeah, more like this please. 

Archived