Dead Man's Draw [Written]

MetaSkipper

Dead Man’s Draw – Equip Spell
If this face-up card is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If the equipped monster is destroyed (by battle or effect) and sent to the GY: Draw 1 card.

[spoiler=Previous Version(s)]

When this face-up card you control is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If the monster this card was equipped to was sent to the GY at the same time: Draw 2 cards instead.

When this face-up card you control is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If the monster this card was equipped to was sent to the GY at the same time due to destruction by battle or card effect (as opposed to by use as tribute, material, or cost): Draw 2 cards instead.

It's kinda amusing thinking of an equip making any kind of meta splash, but this would likely be one of those rare few.

It's costless and the player can easily trigger it themselves (especially alongside link monsters). At worst, it's an Upstart Goblin. Even if your opponent tries hitting it before you can make it into a Pot of Greed, they still used a card to deal with this meaning advantage-wise, you still lose 0 comparative value. Finally, this doesn't have any kind of OPT.

I'm not sure how I'd recommend going about fixing it without ruining how it'd work, but maybe you could restrict its effects to work if destroyed by your opponent's cards or something. Regardless, as it is now I'd say it's a little too powerful.

It's kinda amusing thinking of an equip making any kind of meta splash, but this would likely be one of those rare few.

It's costless and the player can easily trigger it themselves (especially alongside link monsters). At worst, it's an Upstart Goblin. Even if your opponent tries hitting it before you can make it into a Pot of Greed, they still used a card to deal with this meaning advantage-wise, you still lose 0 comparative value. Finally, this doesn't have any kind of OPT.

I'm not sure how I'd recommend going about fixing it without ruining how it'd work, but maybe you could restrict its effects to work if destroyed by your opponent's cards or something. Regardless, as it is now I'd say it's a little too powerful.

Noted. Not sure if it needs to be only due to opponent effects right now, though I'm open to convincing. Still, the new version:

When this face-up card you control is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If the monster this card was equipped to was sent to the GY at the same time due to destruction by battle or card effect (as opposed to by use as tribute, material, or cost): Draw 2 cards instead.

There's a wording nitpick: The equipped monster goes off the field first when destroyed, then the equip detects it no longer has a wielder and follows suit. They don't go "at the same time". An equip that needs to be sent to the GY while equipped will (iirc) not trigger if the monster got destroyed and the equip got sent due to not having a monster to equip to anymore.

Or at the very least, that's the rule somebody told me like 10 years ago.

Fairy Tail - Rella ensures your consistency, and if something like Summoner Monk brought her out, you can go Link 2 and immediately get your draw.

Summoner Monk feels clunky though, tbh. Rella on her own feels more consistent.

As for the new version: You should edit the first post of the thread. Not everybody is gonna hunt for a potential update hidden in the comments.

If this face-up card is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If the equipped monster is destroyed (by battle or effect) and sent to the GY: Draw 1 card.

^That's all there is to it, both effects can stack together without having to specify further.

"Sent to the GY" disables Pendulums, and disables anything under a Macro-Cosmos esque effect. Not a big issue though.

Dragonic Diagram or Sky Iris can both trigger you consistently. That's a plus.

Magical Hats can get you draws, so long as the opponent actually attacks into them.... not reliable.

All in all, the card has potential to become an actual engine somewhere.

There's a wording nitpick: The equipped monster goes off the field first when destroyed, then the equip detects it no longer has a wielder and follows suit. They don't go "at the same time". An equip that needs to be sent to the GY while equipped will (iirc) not trigger if the monster got destroyed and the equip got sent due to not having a monster to equip to anymore.

Or at the very least, that's the rule somebody told me like 10 years ago.

Fairy Tail - Rella ensures your consistency, and if something like Summoner Monk brought her out, you can go Link 2 and immediately get your draw.

Summoner Monk feels clunky though, tbh. Rella on her own feels more consistent.

As for the new version: You should edit the first post of the thread. Not everybody is gonna hunt for a potential update hidden in the comments.

^That's all there is to it, both effects can stack together without having to specify further.

"Sent to the GY" disables Pendulums, and disables anything under a Macro-Cosmos esque effect. Not a big issue though.

Dragonic Diagram or Sky Iris can both trigger you consistently. That's a plus.

Magical Hats can get you draws, so long as the opponent actually attacks into them.... not reliable.

All in all, the card has potential to become an actual engine somewhere.

Thanks for the clarification. One thing about the rewording: won't that trigger "When/If you draw a/1 card...." effects twice, since the card now draws 1 card twice, instead of 2 cards once? Not saying that's a good or bad thing, but it is a mechanics change.

E.g. This new wording triggers Solemn Wishes twice instead of once.

Thanks for the clarification. One thing about the rewording: won't that trigger "When/If you draw a/1 card...." effects twice, since the card now draws 1 card twice, instead of 2 cards once? Not saying that's a good or bad thing, but it is a mechanics change.

E.g. This new wording triggers Solemn Wishes twice instead of once.

I see what you mean. Then let's see.... I could probably tweak the suggestion to something along the lines of:

If this face-up card is sent to the GY: Draw 1 card. If it was sent there by the equipped monster being destroyed (by battle or effect) and sent to the GY, draw 2 cards instead.

Maybe there's a better way to word it, though for now, this way would also be an option that keeps the card functioning with a single draw action no matter the cards drawn.

xP

Archived