Good reasons to use Upstart Goblin in decks with more than 40 cards

A riddle to test your skill. Not too difficult either. Give me a good reason to play Upstart Goblin in a deck with 41 cards or more. The deck must be better that way, than if it didn't have Upstart Goblin and just had fewer cards instead.

Also, for the sake of simplicity, pretend That Grass Looks Greener doesn't exist. There's a reason that does not involve that card. Let's see if you can find it.

MagicalContractDoor-MVP1-EN-GUR-1E.png

Really just a catchall example, because this card's not awful now that Grinder Golem and, to a lesser extent, Destrudo are big deals, not to mention Astrograph Sorcerer on the horizon.

Summoner Monk, Magical Musketeers, Mythical Beasts... There's a lot of synergy to be gained from a cantrip normal spell, not to mention little niche interactions with LP modulation, such as with aromas.

While the examples are largely not the best cards or decks in the world, it's still a potential synergy that will almost certainly be relevant at some point.

This is not just 'find a use for Upstart Goblin'. Are any of those decks better with 41+ cards, than they would have been with 40 cards?

If it means that you can fit in all the engine pieces you want, you should run as many cards as you're able/want to. More cards=better decks.  :Kappa:

I use it in Jack Knights because you can Set in a column that has 1 card in it already to bring it up to 2 cards for the Jack Knight summons.

This is not just 'find a use for Upstart Goblin'. Are any of those decks better with 41+ cards, than they would have been with 40 cards?

I think you missed my point.

The decks are improved because it’s a cantrip that enables your card(s) should you need it to. It’s a completely innocuous 41st card, and decks appreciate it for the sheervirtue of it being a self-replacing Spell, even above 40. The deck is better, if only marginally, due to an increase in the consistency of said effects firing off without conceding deck slots.

desires is another grass example, technically speaking

no one needs to find a use for a good card

Yes they are, Black's examples involve free spell activations and monk + gate have more consistency with a higher amount of spells, while the card, due to being able to replace itself immediately, has no flaws in such decks, that could not be ignored. Basicly the idea is to have a higher consistency for spell fodder or simply to get a free empty spell activation + any card that would have been it in the first place. So these are about as strictly positive reasons as it might get.

My mistake, those decks do indeed qualify. Cookies for you.

I feel like my original requirements are too lean. Technically speaking, those decks are better than their 40-card counterparts that lack Upstart Goblin, but in practice people are going to find variants that fit Upstart Goblin in a 40-card list, which in turn would be better. What I'm looking for is a deck where optimal variants run more than 40 cards, including Upstart Goblin. In addition, it does not use the card for any kind of combo. No Summoner Monk, no Aroma, no Life Equalizer, but plainly a deck where giving the opponent 1000 LP is considered a negative thing, though worth it when you can draw another card. Can anyone guess that?

Also, I'd like to mention that it does not involve any particular set of cards, and I'm not really thinking of current Yu-Gi-Oh! in particular. I don't even keep up with the new cards anymore. This was applicable during Goat Format, and I see no reason why it'd be less applicable now.

My mistake, those decks do indeed qualify. Cookies for you.

I feel like my original requirements are too lean. Technically speaking, those decks are better than their 40-card counterparts that lack Upstart Goblin, but in practice people are going to find variants that fit Upstart Goblin in a 40-card list, which in turn would be better. What I'm looking for is a deck where optimal variants run more than 40 cards, including Upstart Goblin. In addition, it does not use the card for any kind of combo. No Summoner Monk, no Aroma, no Life Equalizer, but plainly a deck where giving the opponent 1000 LP is considered a negative thing, though worth it when you can draw another card. Can anyone guess that?

Also, I'd like to mention that it does not involve any particular set of cards, and I'm not really thinking of current Yu-Gi-Oh! in particular. I don't even keep up with the new cards anymore. This was applicable during Goat Format, and I see no reason why it'd be less applicable now.

Well in general cards tend not to care directly about deck size, so no. There's no reason that a 41+ card deck would be so specially better than a 40 card deck that you'd run Upstart solely to reach that quota.

That is, except for That Grass Looks Greener, which you banned from discussion.

Reverse question: if Upstart was at 3, would your hypothetical Deck run better at 43 than 1 Upstart at 41, or would it be roughly equivalent?

EDIT: another question, would this deck (saying it is objectively better at 41 w/ Upstart) be even better at 40 w/ Upstart? Or are you simply comparing the Upstart run 41+ with the non-Upstart 40?

Upstart Goblin can serve as a buffer between bricks in decks running engines that search/mill/especially Special Summon from the deck. Running more than 40 cards allows for more targets/options to go into and empower their searchers with a greater scope, and Upstart Goblin can be drawn in an opening hand instead of a card you'd want in your deck (such as Mystical Shine Ball, Wulf, Shaddoll Dragon, etc.) and then you can play Upstart Goblin after utilizing the in-deck potential of such cards. 

For this reason, it made decks like this better: 

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck/6119 (44 cards Zoodiac Metalfoes Feb 2017)

As you can see, this deck is hardly a Grass build and runs just a few cards over 40, but they do run multiple engines that search out cards from the deck. Had they run 43 cards instead and cut Upstart Goblin, they'd run risks such as drawing into multiple copies of Zoodiac Ratpier, or even a Zoodiac card that they'd rather have some other card than while searching said Zoodiac card off Broadbull - the same goes for Metalfoes cards that they'd rather search off of Summoner's Art or Painful Decision, then they can use Upstart Goblin after searching so that they don't draw the card they searched and have to search the second best option. This advantage is a little more subtle than it would be for something like Venus into Shine Ball, Baobaboon into Baobaboon, Brilliant Fusion using Gem-Knight Garnet, or PSY-Framegear Gamma into Driver, but it's still enough of a factor that this fellow chose to run Upstart with his other 43 cards and it worked out for him. Is something like this worth the 1000 LP you're giving your opponent? If you can bury your opponent in resources, LP should be irrelevant until they're at 0, but it can be more and less relevant in different formats as things like Soul Charge trend up and down. Nowadays, what with all the mained Droll & Lock Birds running around this probably isn't worth doing in an over 40-card deck as you can be punished pretty drastically with all searchers from Deck to hand that you might have wanted to optimize being turned off entirely. If you do run cards like Venus and PSY-Framegears, Upstart Goblin is especially useful whether your deck is 40 cards or more. You'll also want to be running it instead of Pot of Desires in a lot of engine decks that wouldn't want to lose combo pieces.

Archived