Archfiend Tamer (From Humbling Fiends to Hoarding Them)

Black D'Sceptyr

archfiend_tamer_by_bdsceptyr-dbtdhmc.png

[spoiler=Archfiend Tamer: Info]

EARTH/Fiend-Type Flip Effect Monster/Level 3/700 ATK/800 DEF

Lore: FLIP: Special Summon 1 "Archfiend" monster from your Deck or GY, except "Archfiend Tamer", then you can activate 1 "Falling Down" from your hand or Deck.

Quick Effect: You can destroy 1 other Fiend monster in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position, and if you do, the first time this turn that each DARK Fiend monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or card effect), it is not destroyed. You can only use each effect of "Archfiend Tamer" once per turn. 

So its a fight between an EARTH Flip monster that possesses Fiends, or an EARTH Flip monster that Summons Fiends and/or possesses other stuff as long as you possess an Archfiend. Man, chicks with blue hair and all that possessing, amirite Raven

ami

ami

(crickets cannot chirp any louder without busting the sound barrier)

whateva then, until we actually have a circuitous engine for Archfiends to utilize without needing Heiress-Commander and eating up the Normal Summon, you know the drill-review and revel in this new card from the BlaDeS of Change Workshop, I suppose.

BDS, signing off. 

I think activating Falling Down during your opponent's turn is a cool idea, but I feel during the Battle Phase is not the best time for that (especially because it's a Flip monster in a already pretty slow archetype).

I would give it a trigger effect to flip itself from face-down to face-up so you can use Falling Down to disrupt your opponent's plays, and potentially allow you to flip it the same turn it was Set. You possibly don't need the Special Summon of a Archfiend if you do that (also no level restriction? Woah).

The card itself can be a +3 via taking control of a monster (which is a +2 to begin with) and Special Summons a Archfiend of any Level (or Link number if its from the GY) from anywhere, which is technically broken considering the best a Subterror monster's Flip effect can be is usually a +1.5. I get that the mechanic of activating Falling Down from your Deck would need a Archfiend on the field, but you could also have it instead treat a monster your opponent controls as an

Archfiend Monster instead to reduce that advantage you'd get.

Interesting card, but I think it has a bit too much it can give you by flipping it and needs a way to flip itself during the Main Phase.

I think activating Falling Down during your opponent's turn is a cool idea, but I feel during the Battle Phase is not the best time for that (especially because it's a Flip monster in a already pretty slow archetype).

I would give it a trigger effect to flip itself from face-down to face-up so you can use Falling Down to disrupt your opponent's plays, and potentially allow you to flip it the same turn it was Set. You possibly don't need the Special Summon of a Archfiend if you do that (also no level restriction? Woah).

The card itself can be a +3 via taking control of a monster (which is a +2 to begin with) and Special Summons a Archfiend of any Level (or Link number if its from the GY) from anywhere, which is technically broken considering the best a Subterror monster's Flip effect can be is usually a +1.5. I get that the mechanic of activating Falling Down from your Deck would need a Archfiend on the field, but you could also have it instead treat a monster your opponent controls as an

Archfiend Monster instead to reduce that advantage you'd get.

Interesting card, but I think it has a bit too much it can give you by flipping it and needs a way to flip itself during the Main Phase.

To be fair, the quick-play summoning of itself coupled with the protection effect's the real sell of this card, so your impossibly flimsy boards can stand up to the nearest sneeze, whether or not you've got Pandemonium to get back some of that advantage.

I've got more support on the way to help along the Archfiend game as well tho, don't you.worry...

And really, Subterrrors could do with a level of versatility like you extrapolated up above. It'd be nice to have a Flip monster Archetype actually sweep the boards without a needed escape hatch like its closest contender, "IF HIT GRAVE THING HAPPEN" The Archetype Shaddolls.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. FLIP effect seems fine. Sure, a Special Summon and direct activation of a Spell Card may sound like a lot on paper. However, given the state of the archetype, I'd say it balances out. I like the self-Summon effect, too. It triggers the effect of some of the Archfiend monsters, like Heiress. Overall, a good card. It's a lot for one card, but given the archetype as a whole, they could use more support.

Lore: FLIP: Special Summon 1 "Archfiend" monster from your Deck or GY, except "Archfiend Tamer", then you can activate 1 "Falling Down" from your hand or Deck.

Quick Effect: You can destroy 1 other Fiend monster in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position, and if you do, the first time this turn that each DARK Fiend monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or card effect), it is not destroyed. You can only use each effect of "Archfiend Tamer" once per turn.

my version:

Lore: FLIP: Special Summon l level 4 or lower "Archfiend" monster from your Deck or GY, except "Archfiend Tamer", then you can tribute this card to activate 1 "Falling Down" from your hand or Deck. Quick Effect: You can discard 1 other Fiend monster in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Archfiend Tamer" once per turn.

my version tones the concept down since flipping up +2 (while stealing a monster)

there's a level restriction so you can not grab any archfiend

getting falling now is not "free", tributing the flip monster to get the steal card

discard instead of destruction, fire king destroys cards in the hand, archfiends like discard a tad more, right?

Archived