[Leaderboard] BatMed vs Black D'Sceptyr

BatMed

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Cards must be PM'd to me.
  • Both participants must approve both cards via notes, to help prevent functional and grammatical errors .
  • If arts are provided, I will remake both cards in the same template to help ensure anonymity.
  • In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

• The deadline for cards is 2 days after challenge has been accepted.
  • The deadline for votes is 3 days after cards have been posted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

• Suggest something.
  • EDIT: Make a min of 2 cards (max. 4) to support a Legacy archetype (Archfiend, Gusto, etc...) and make it viable again. 

Cards:
[spoiler=Cards A]

Mirage Fabbery
Field Spell
Effect: You can only use the following effects of "Mirage Fabbery" once per turn. If this card is activated while you control a "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster; Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). If a Token(s) is Special Summoned: You can destroy 1 card on the field. If a Token(s) you control is Tributed: You can activate 1 of these effects.
• Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster from your Deck with a different name from the monsters you control or in your GY.
• Set 1 Spell/Trap that has "Mecha Phantom Beast" in its text from your Deck.

Mecha Phantom Beast Patrollerdactyl
 WIND | Machine / Synchro / Effect
Level 11 | 3300 / 2200
Effect: 2 Tuners + 1+ non-Tuner WIND monsters 
When Synchro Summoning this card, you can use WIND Tokens you control as Tuners. While you control a Token, (Quick Effect): You can target 1 WIND Synchro or Xyz Monster you control; banish it until the End Phase, and if you do, destroy 1 face-up and 1 Set card on the field. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Token, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; this turn, its effects are negated, it loses 1100 ATK/DEF, also if Synchro or Xyz Summoning a "Mecha" monster this turn, you can use that target as a Material for that Summon. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can Special Summon 2 "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/0 ATK/0 DEF).

Mecha Phantom Beast Refuelark
WIND | Machine / Tuner / Effect
Level 6| 2200 / 1200
Effect: (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster you control; Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP; this card loses 2 Levels, also Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. Once per turn, during the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 Token: immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro, Link or Xyz Summon 1 Machine monster from your Extra Deck using "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters you control only.

Mecha Phantom Beast Whalespinner
WIND | Machine / Effect
Level 1 | 100 / 2200
Effect: If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then you can Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0), but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn, except Machine monsters. This card gains Levels equal to the combined Levels of all "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" you control. While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Token: draw 1 card, then send 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster from your hand or Deck to the GY.

[spoiler=Cards B]

Magician’s Arcane
DARK | Spellcaster / Effect
Level 2 | 200 / 0
Effect: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Magician's" monster from your Deck to your hand. During your opponent's turn, if you activate a Spell/Trap Card or effect while this card is in your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can shuffle this card into the Deck; draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Magician’s Arcane” once per turn.

Sinister Magician of Black
Level 7 | 2500 / 2100
Effect: This card's name becomes "Dark Magician" while it is in the GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Sinister Magician of Black" once per turn.
● If this card is in your hand: You can Tribute 1 DARK Spellcaster monster on the field, and if you do, Special Summon this card, and if you do that, you can activate from your hand, 1 Normal or Continuous Trap that specifically lists the card "Dark Magician" in its text, if you control no other monsters.
● If you control a "Dark Magician", except the turn this card was sent to the GY (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Normal monster you control; Special this card from your GY.

Bond between Dragon & Magician
Quick-Play Spell
Effect: You can discard 1 Spell/Trap; Special Summon 1 "Dark Magician" or "Dark Magician Girl" from your Deck, also, if you control a Spellcaster monster(s), and no other monsters, you can add 1 "The Eye of Timaeus" from your Deck or GY to your hand. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck the turn you activate this card, except DARK Spellcaster and Dragon monsters.

Dark Magic Purgation
Counter Trap
Effect:
When a monster is Normal or Special Summoned in Attack Position, if you control “Dark Magician”: Tribute 1 Spellcaster monster you control; that monster(s) loses ATK equal to the Tributed monster's ATK in the GY, also their effects are negated, then if its ATK has been reduced to 0 as a result, destroy it. You can only activate 1 "Dark Magic Purgation" per turn.

NOTE: To ensure anonymity, I didn't post the card images. They are in written format instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I already recognize the name of one of the cards, so...I kinda know who did what. To make it easier on me, I'll just quote your stuff, and then write reviews in blue. 

[spoiler=Cards A]

Mirage Fabbery
Field Spell
Effect: You can only use the following effects of "Mirage Fabbery" once per turn. If this card is activated while you control a "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster; Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). If a Token(s) is Special Summoned: You can destroy 1 card on the field. If a Token(s) you control is Tributed: You can activate 1 of these effects.
• Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster from your Deck with a different name from the monsters you control or in your GY.
• Set 1 Spell/Trap that has "Mecha Phantom Beast" in its text from your Deck.

This one is fine, since yeah, MPB really require their Tokens to do stuff and does trigger nicely off Megaraptor if you get it out. I need to make a note that the only Level 3 and under MPBs that are commonly used are Hamstrat and O-lion. Yeah, we do have your Level 1, which I'll address later. But then again, access to Aerial Recharge is always good (Scramble is fine, Do a Barrel Roll is funny, but still gimmicky [or I haven't touched it].)

Mecha Phantom Beast Patrollerdactyl
 WIND | Machine / Synchro / Effect
Level 11 | 3300 / 2200
Effect: 2 Tuners + 1+ non-Tuner WIND monsters 
When Synchro Summoning this card, you can use WIND Tokens you control as Tuners. While you control a Token, (Quick Effect): You can target 1 WIND Synchro or Xyz Monster you control; banish it until the End Phase, and if you do, destroy 1 face-up and 1 Set card on the field. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Token, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; this turn, its effects are negated, it loses 1100 ATK/DEF, also if Synchro or Xyz Summoning a "Mecha" monster this turn, you can use that target as a Material for that Summon. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can Special Summon 2 "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/0 ATK/0 DEF).

I really don't know how you're going to be summoning this in MPB with common stuff. I mean, it is possible to make Level 11, but that requires outside teching to do so (and this is just with 1 Tuner). I guess if the Speedroid engine is still good in light of hits, sure, you can try. Then again, only options are probably Olion + Token + Hamstrat getting Level buffed to make it. Rest of the effect is fine, and guess it gives them some added summon power (which is probably going to be their Synchro bosses until Konami gives them Links to work with Raiten or better Xyz outside Dracossack). 

And I say this from actually using the Deck, albeit outdated to an extent.

Mecha Phantom Beast Refuelark
WIND | Machine / Tuner / Effect
Level 6| 2200 / 1200
Effect: (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster you control; Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP; this card loses 2 Levels, also Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. Once per turn, during the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 Token: immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro, Link or Xyz Summon 1 Machine monster from your Extra Deck using "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters you control only.

I guess this works too with O-lion to get the materials for the Level 11, but yeah. The Summon effect is nice, but we literally don't have any good Machine targets for them to make, and the pool is still limited for them at this time. 

Mecha Phantom Beast Whalespinner
WIND | Machine / Effect
Level 1 | 100 / 2200
Effect: If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then you can Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0), but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn, except Machine monsters. This card gains Levels equal to the combined Levels of all "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" you control. While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Token: draw 1 card, then send 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster from your hand or Deck to the GY.

Bye Warbluran, it was nice knowing you. But yeah, this does help with their summon and gets some draw power going while dumping stuff that Hamstrat can revive later. (Uh, oh wait, it's not a Tuner, but still, draw power is good.)

[spoiler=Cards B]

Magician’s Arcane
Level 2 | 200 / 0
Effect: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Magician's" monster from your Deck to your hand. During your opponent's turn, if you activate a Spell/Trap Card or effect while this card is in your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can shuffle this card into the Deck; draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Magician’s Arcane” once per turn.

Most this thing searches is Rod, Robe and I guess another copy of itself. Though, I've been told that Dark Magicians still struggle with some field setup problems without teching subpar stuff, so I guess this gives them something.

Sinister Magician of Black
Level 7 | 2500 / 2100
Effect: This card's name becomes "Dark Magician" while it is in the GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Sinister Magician of Black" once per turn.
● If this card is in your hand: You can Tribute 1 DARK Spellcaster monster on the field, and if you do, Special Summon this card, and if you do that, you can activate from your hand, 1 Normal or Continuous Trap that specifically lists the card "Dark Magician" in its text, if you control no other monsters.
● If you control a "Dark Magician", except the turn this card was sent to the GY (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Normal monster you control; Special this card from your GY.

I have mixed feelings about this in general. Granted, you could just Tribute off Rod/Robe for this on turn 1, but then I have my skepticism on this triggering Navigation and Eternal Soul. (I guess it doesn't trigger Circle, so...) Yes, it doesn't let you control other monsters, but more on Navigation. Also yeah, still reliant on original DM to work, though you can trigger more stuff out. (So...killing off Yugi for Arkana, are we?)

Then again, you can't use it for Dark Magician stuff because the condition only applies in the GY, so...Eternal Soul and Mahad targets. 

Bond between Dragon & Magician
Quick-Play Spell
Effect: You can discard 1 Spell/Trap; Special Summon 1 "Dark Magician" or "Dark Magician Girl" from your Deck, also, if you control a Spellcaster monster(s), and no other monsters, you can add 1 "The Eye of Timaeus" from your Deck or GY to your hand. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck the turn you activate this card, except DARK Spellcaster and Dragon monsters.

This is literally a one-card setup for Dark Magician the Dragon Knight (idk if you'd still use DMG's one) or Amulet, but I guess it improves their viability because Timaeus is still unsearchable for the most part, save for Circle getting to it because of text. Also get rid of dead draws you don't need at the time. I'm iffy on this not having an OPT on activation, but chances are that you won't have 2 copies of this in hand at any given moment.

Dark Magic Purgation
Counter Trap
Effect:
When a monster is Normal or Special Summoned in Attack Position, if you control “Dark Magician”: Tribute 1 Spellcaster monster you control; that monster(s) loses ATK equal to the Tributed monster's ATK in the GY, also their effects are negated, then if its ATK has been reduced to 0 as a result, destroy it. You can only activate 1 "Dark Magic Purgation" per turn.

This is technically fine; granted, if you do Tribute off Dark Magician or something, opponent is either going to be maimed hard or dead. Links are vulnerable because they can't be in Defense Position, period, but we already know that. But that being said, a lot of the support cards require getting him out; you don't have him, this is a dead card. Or really, it'll generally work out because stuff gets negated and it's likely they'll be out around 1600-2500 on average.

While I did mention some concerns about set B, they appear to help out Dark Magicians more.

For set A, I can really only say Mirage Fabbery and the Level 1 Main Deck do anything of value for MPBs (especially right now), and more on the Field Spell. (Synchro has issues being summoned save for very gimmicky plays, and the Level 6 Tuner is nice and all for enabling better Level 10 Synchros and all, but yeah).

=====

B gets vote.

Archived