Pet Peeves

Tinkerer

I'm like 90% sure I've seen a thread like this before, but w/e.

What little things get under your skin?

I've got 2 ones that stand out for me:

1. People saying "on accident" instead of "by accident"

2. People misspelling my name. I don't care if they mispronounce it, but if they misspell it... *shakes head*

You know that "bon appetit" meme where people go out of their way to use the wrong words just because they sound only vaguely similar to the proper phrase? That sheet funking drives me up the wall and I hate it. In the same vein, I can't stand small grammatical errors (yet don't mind the big stuff for some reason) that use the wrong word in a phrase ("should of" instead of "should have" is the most frequent offender in my interactions with other YCMers), or when people use "u" instead of "you" and other little abbreviations in a game's chat. I understand time is of the essenece, but those extra two letters won't kill you.

And speaking of gamers who don't have any extra time to waste, as somebody who generally plays healers in MMOs, I hate when the party's tank rushes through everything like he's going for some kind of speed record. World of Warcraft gets something of a pass in this regard for the first hundred levels due to heirlooms existing and completely trivializing any form of difficulty the game previously had, but the second I see some jackass do that in vanilla servers when they hit I'm taking care to not group up with them again.

People existing near me in real life is also something that irritates me, but I don't think it's a pet peeve so much as I just like to be alone and have the misfortune of living with people I likely wouldn't be able to stand online either, let alone in real life where there's no mute button.

[spoiler=List of stuff]

1. People annoying the sheet out of me IRL / getting into my personal space

I think we can all relate to this, but yeah, I dislike people getting into my personal space. (This includes my room, looking over my shoulder when I'm trying to type stuff / play on DS, etc.]

Yeah, I like my privacy, thank you very much. (Of course, there are some people who apparently can't hear or don't listen.) I'm nearly 23; can I at least have my personal space in my room without my parent bothering me? (If you want more details, ask)

===

Or in terms of college, students/people who decide to sit down at a table I am using in the student center without asking if it's okay / just plopping their sheet down. I'd had that a few times this semester, and all of them were female. I don't mind sharing if you ask, so I can at least move my stuff to accommodate you; however I WILL mind if you just sit down and then push your stuff onto my half of the table.

(I'll avoid making generalizations of the type of people who did this. Most people at college generally have manners, but a handful don't.)

2. My supervisor at work not returning phone calls or calling me in as soon as I wake up.

So yeah, I work at a water park on Saturdays (though I am not on a consistent work schedule because it depends on the activity level of the park due to weather, time of year [fall tends to suck because people watch football], etc.) Before I leave for the day/week, I usually try to find out when my next work day is, so I can plan accordingly. If I'm not working, then I could be doing other things like assignments, other weekend stuff and/or trying to make up sleep I sacrifice on weekdays.

However, a lot of the times, my supervisor is gone and then I end up having to call her on Sunday or sometime before next week.

(It is my responsibility to find out when I'm working, because I refuse to get scolded by the boss [who's male] for not showing up to work when I am supposed to. I keep up my end of the deal; now it's her turn. Yeah, I have a female supervisor/lead [idk what her standing is])

Either I end up having to call on Thursday after I finish class or Friday before I teach my Ethnic Studies lab, and sometimes no answer. (Would be easier if my phone could receive texts, but it's old). Or certain times when I get called while I'm sleeping and asked if I can come in earlier. (I mean, I can come in an hour earlier, but would be appreciated if you do it the day before).

tl;dr: Trying to figure out when I work at times is a pain because I don't get calls returned.

(Recently though, she said that she'd call me if I am scheduled to work [as opposed to me getting on her weekly]. I haven't gone work for three weeks; it's the slow season, yes.)

3. People being disrespectful to island cultures/customs, etc.

Let's be clear about this; while I do live in Hawai'i* (which is at the northern tip of the Polynesian triangle in Oceania, so yeah), I do not have Polynesian ancestry. But I've lived here my entire life, so obviously, I had to learn some Hawaiian (as we have street names in this language among other places), general state history and stuff is an education requirement.

Cutting down on the back history...

Yeah, people from the mainland intentionally mispronouncing Hawaiian words** / making jokes about words (someone here made a joke about "melemele" [which is Hawaiian for yellow] being "melee melee") or otherwise poking jokes at island culture/life/etc. I need to put "intentional" because some of you legitimately may not know how to pronounce stuff (though as I've said in the S/M threads enough times. it's almost identical to how you'd read roumaji, save for cases involving "w" being pronounced as "v") or are unaware of the more intricate things pertaining to how Hawai'i is now. That much, I cannot blame for, as I do not believe it is covered outside this state.

Though, there are the instances where King Kamehameha I is mentioned, and then some kid decides to make a DBZ reference about it, which slightly ticks me off. (Kamehameha is NOT a DBZ move; he is the first king who unified the island chain in the late 18th century). I've seen it a little bit (i.e. I make a D/D/D monster in one of the game threads named after the king, and then some newer member makes said DBZ reference.)

====

I apologize if this one comes off as abrasive and anyone took offense; this was not directed towards any of you in particular and more as a whole of what I've seen from people in real life and some online areas. But basically, people who misappropriate island culture (well, least stuff pertaining to here anyway]. Please do your research.

====

* I'm writing Hawai'i as it's spelled out in Hawaiian, though the form without the 'okina is widely accepted and I do lapse between either spelling at times, because I learned the 'okina-less one first. Also being substituted with an apostrophe because of character issues.

** Those of you familiar with Sun/Moon already know that it's themed on this state and borrows a lot of Hawaiian words. Some of them have kahako/macron and 'okina in their actual forms, though Gamefreak and the like neglect to add them when needed. I need to say this because of how the language/words are structured (lack/addition of diacriticals means something different in a lot of cases).

(So if you write them like how Gamefreak has them, it's fine. I usually try to write it as written, given the character restrictions, but sometimes it defaults)

===

Uh, there's a few more things that piss me off, but a lot of my pet peeves usually involve people for various reasons. Will probably add more later.

A few things off the top of my head:

Various drivers, like ones who turn much too slowly, those who put on their signals at the very moment they're going to turn, and worse the ones who don't even put on signals.

People who are yelling or raising their voice too much when they talk.

People who choose sniper in Overwatch when the team didn't need a sniper (especially in Offense), and when others refuse to play Healer. But even worse are those who ditch Competitive games. In Quick games, if a member leaves they'll be replaced. No such thing in Competitive.

Smallest pet peeve I have is when people end their sentence with "still", when they could've began it with "Still,".

1. people not being able to separate canon and fanon regarding a work of fiction (thinking fanon is canon or thinking than fanon and fanon enjoyment has to affect or tie to canon in any way)

2. people not being able to account for dissonance of values between fiction and reality

3. people not being able to account for dissonance in values between different people in different point of time or place in general

4. honestly, the concept of fandoms or fandom allegiance in general

5. people that complains too much. reeks too much of "better and more right than you" sentiment over legitimate criticism after you reach a point.

6. people that don't keep public toilets clean after they use it.

7. cuckposter and rabid purity maniacs.

8. people not taking a bath before going out to public places.

9. people tossing used condoms in public places

10. people using the elevator only to ascend by one level.

11. self-diagnosing people.

12. people that makes themselves miserable so others would pity and care for them

13. people that wastes food.

14. people that spends 50% of their time during a trip taking photographs of the most inane things and force you to be featured in the image along the way. I'm allergic about getting my picture taken.

1. Pronouncing et cetera as "eC cetera".

2. Typing "defiantly" rather than definitely. All. The. Time.

3. Changing lanes without a turn signal.

4. Coming to a stop on a right turn with no stop sign/red light.

5. Coming to a stop on a left turn when there's a green arrow.

6. Repeating only the last few words of one's sentence after being asked "what?"

The list goes on but these are the most frequent.

That Kars 4 Kids radio commercial with those singing kids.

Annoys the hell outta me because those singing kids sound way too young to be driving.

Worst jingle.

Mine would be people constantly complaining. I do think venting is a healthy process and bottling negativity up is worse, but complaining about sheet every day is tiresome and not helpful. It gets you into the mindset of looking for things to whine about.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm annoyed by rude bastards in general, but specifically I'm peeved by people who lose their sheet in restaurants. It's a combination of two things: One, I've worked in restaurants for many years so I know what and why problems are caused so I completely understand if something goes wrong with an order or if food is late or anything. Two, I would never get mad at servers like some people do (and it's often not their fault, you don't shoot the messenger) because they're the ones who bring you food. I will pretty much never be mad at someone who brings me food, I love food too much.

Archived