Equip Spell/Ben Kei Support

Armoire

A series of cards that have are made to support Armed Samurai - Ben Kei and circumvent some of Equip Spells' drawbacks. Some cards are more catered towards the Ben Kei strategy.

[spoiler=Monsters (3)]

Fully Armed Samurai - Ben Kei

✪✪✪✪ DARK

Warrior/Effect

1000/1600

(Quick Effect): You can equip 1 appropriate Equip Spell Card from your Deck to this card. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): You can Special Summon 1 "Armed Samurai - Ben Kei" from your hand or Deck, and if you do, you can equip all Equip Cards that were equipped to this card to that monster. You can only use each effect of "Fully Armed Samurai - Ben Kei" once per turn.

Helps set up Ben Kei and fetch out Equip Spells.

HZEo8hv.png

[spoiler=Lore]You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; add 1 Equip Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Unmatched Blacksmith Zaburo" once per turn. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Equip Spell Card in your GY; equip it to an appropriate monster you control.

Generic Equip Spell searcher. Also recovers dead Equip Spells.

STKxX0F.png

[spoiler=Lore](Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; This turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, if a face-up Equip Spell Card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to your GY: For each Equip Spell Card sent to the GY, you can toss a coin, and if the result is heads,  add that card to your hand.

A fun gimmick based off of the "Golden Axe or Silver Axe?" story. Gives a chance to not minus so hard if equips spells die. Also gives you the option for safe attacking to avoid pesky cards like any type of Mirror Force, monster effects, etc.

[spoiler=Spell (1)]

Art Credit: BatMed
Support him if you can, he has great work.

jZBCihk.png

[spoiler=Lore]You can only activate this card's effect if your opponent has more total cards in their hand and field than you do. You can discard this card and pay half your LP; equip any number Equip Spell Cards from your GY to 1 monster you control. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation. Cards equipped by this effect are unaffected by your opponent's card effects this turn. You can only activate 1 "Against the Odds!" once per turn.

Mostly for Ben Kei. If you poured all your resources into a monster expecting it to do something--and for some reason, that monster is removed, this card is a buffer that gives you a chance to make a comeback.

Fully Armed Samurai is just a purely good card for this intended play. Full stop. Equip buffing, allowing you to grab whatever you need in a specific situation, SS2, the ability to get out good ol' Ben Kei...what more could you want? Zaburo is FINALLY a generic Equip Spell Searcher (Hidden Armory can finally go forever now) and the equipping from the GY is a neat addition, especially with no HOPT. Spirit of the Spring could probably do with an OCG change with the last effect (see below), but the Armades clause is absolutely fantastic. The GY effect is a tad more worrying though, as it has no HOPT and it stacks, but considering Equip Spells aren't really a big thing...I think it could get away with. Also in my OCG I changed it to only return 1 Equip Spell, and to work when more than one are sent, to limit it and make it more open simultaneously. Like the flavour as well. 

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; this turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, it gains the following effects: ● if a face-up Equip Card(s) you control is destroyed and sent to your GY: You can toss a coin, and if the result is heads, add 1 of those cards to your hand.

Against the Odds isn't as striking, but still a nifty card that works no matter how far back you've been beaten. Shame it still requires a monster. Why does it discard itself, though? Why not just activate as any effect? Also, the monster you've just Summoned is still vulnerable, so if your opponent has a good field with Spyral Sleeper or ABC Buster Dragon...yeah. I think you could also get away with granting the Equip Spells targeting protection.

Rather decent cards, and glad to see Equips get some love again. A minor issue here and there, but really a set I like. Good job!

Thanks for the feedback as usual, Dova! :D

Spirit of the Spring could probably do with an OCG change with the last effect (see below), but the Armades clause is absolutely fantastic. The GY effect is a tad more worrying though, as it has no HOPT and it stacks, but considering Equip Spells aren't really a big thing...I think it could get away with. Also in my OCG I changed it to only return 1 Equip Spell, and to work when more than one are sent, to limit it and make it more open simultaneously. Like the flavour as well. 

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; this turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, it gains the following effects: ● if a face-up Equip Card(s) you control is destroyed and sent to your GY: You can toss a coin, and if the result is heads, add 1 of those cards to your hand.

Thanks for the OCG correction; I guess I didn't review the card enough before posting. Could you elaborate about Spirit of the Spring stacking? I wanted it to be able to give a each equip a chance to return when they're sent to the GY.--for both players; so it would be something more like:

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; This turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, if a face-up Equip Spell Card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can toss a coin for each Equip Spell Card sent to the GY, and if the result is heads, you add that card to your hand.

I'm having problems with wording the coin toss part to flip a coin for each one, though. 

Also, this woulda been perfect for your contest that was just posted, ahhh! D:

Against the Odds isn't as striking, but still a nifty card that works no matter how far back you've been beaten. Shame it still requires a monster. Why does it discard itself, though? Why not just activate as any effect? Also, the monster you've just Summoned is still vulnerable, so if your opponent has a good field with Spyral Sleeper or ABC Buster Dragon...yeah. I think you could also get away with granting the Equip Spells targeting protection.

Ahh, the reason it discards itself is so that you can equip 5 cards onto your monster since it takes up one zone upon its activation and resolution. I assumed this from the ruling on Artiface Ignition (last bullet point).

And should I let it revive a monster instead of requiring a monster? Maybe limit the range of monsters it can revive? I feel like that might be too good. Noted on the targeting effect. 

Thanks for the OCG correction; I guess I didn't review the card enough before posting. Could you elaborate about Spirit of the Spring stacking? I wanted it to be able to give a each equip a chance to return when they're sent to the GY.--for both players; so it would be something more like:

If I have 3 copies of Spirit of the Spring in my GY, I can flip a coin 3 times for each Equip Spell. As for the OCG, just modified the last clause, and changed it so that you can't add your opponent's Equip Spell Cards to your hand.

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; This turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, if a face-up Equip Spell Card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to your GY: You can toss a coin For each Equip Spell Card sent to the GY this way you can toss a coin, and if the result is heads, you add that card to your hand.

Almost the same wording, but I feel this is clearer.

Shame about my competition tho D:

Ahh, the reason it discards itself is so that you can equip 5 cards onto your monster since it takes up one zone upon its activation and resolution. I assumed this from the ruling on Artiface Ignition (last bullet point).

And should I let it revive a monster instead of requiring a monster? Maybe limit the range of monsters it can revive? I feel like that might be too good. Noted on the targeting effect.

Completely forgot about that restriction caused by using up a S/T Zones. Probably don't let it revive; by adding targeting restrictions, chances are your Equips grant enough protection to keep your newly Summoned monster.

If I have 3 copies of Spirit of the Spring in my GY, I can flip a coin 3 times for each Equip Spell. As for the OCG, just modified the last clause, and changed it so that you can't add your opponent's Equip Spell Cards to your hand.

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; This turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, if a face-up Equip Spell Card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to your GY: You can toss a coin For each Equip Spell Card sent to the GY this way you can toss a coin, and if the result is heads, you add that card to your hand.

Almost the same wording, but I feel this is clearer.

Ahhh, I see. I suppose adding a "You can only use this effect once per chain." would solve the stacking, right? 

Also, I think I've got it--thanks to you, of course.

(Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; This turn, when a monster equipped with an Equip Card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. While this card is in your GY, if a face-up Equip Spell Card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to your GY: You can toss a coin For each Equip Spell Card sent to the GY, this way you can toss a coin, and if the result is heads, you can add that card to your hand.

Completely forgot about that restriction caused by using up a S/T Zones. Probably don't let it revive; by adding targeting restrictions, chances are your Equips grant enough protection to keep your newly Summoned monster.

I see. So just add the targeting protection and it should be good? Do you think it would be going overboard if I simply made it:

Cards equipped by this effect are unaffected by your opponent's card effects this turn.

EDIT: Updated effects for Spirit of the Spring and Against the Odds!

I think that would solve the stacking, yeah.

Ahhh, I see. I suppose adding a "You can only use this effect once per chain." would solve the stacking, right? 

I see. So just add the targeting protection and it should be good? Do you think it would be going overboard if I simply made it:

Cards equipped by this effect are unaffected by your opponent's card effects this turn.

Eh, not really. Considering you still have a potentially vulnerable monster, it's fine, methinks.

Happy to help!

Archived