Sceptyr's Support: Rex Raptor's Serpent Silhouette [4/4]

Black D'Sceptyr

Ye asked, and so shall ye who blew up my status page for the borderline poll I put out shall recieve.

But really, Rex Raptor's gotten the shaft-er in terms of self-made support-so let's pull the curtain a bit on Dinos and give some love specifically to the non-Effect branch of theirs-you know, the type that's usually only mentioned by the Megalosmasher X-into-pick-your-Evolzar-Xyz moments on DuelingBook.

For everyone else, here's Mastercard your support.

multi_blade_megazowler_by_bdsceptyr-dbtn

[spoiler=Multi-Bladed Megazowler: Info]

EARTH/Dinosaur-Type Effect Monster/Level 9/2800 ATK/3000 DEF

Lore: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or banished zone) by banishing 3 Dinosaur monsters from your field or GY, including 2+ non-Effect Monsters. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 monster you control or in your hand, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Dinosaur non-Effect Monster or 1  DARK Dragon Normal Monster from your Deck or Extra Deck, but banish it when it leaves the field, also it gains this effect. 

• While you control a Level 6 Dinosaur monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by an opponent's card effect, also all monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK/DEF.

triassic_world_by_bdsceptyr-dbtn9q9.png

[spoiler=Triassic World: Info]

Field Spell Card

Lore: If this card on the field is sent to the GY: You can destroy all non-Dinosaur monsters in the same columns as Dinosaur monsters you control. You can only use each of these effects of "Triassic World" once per turn. 

• You can target 1 Normal Dinosaur or Dragon monster in your GY; banish 1 Dinosaur or Dragon monster from your side of the field or GY, and if you do, Special Summon that target. It gains ATK/DEF equal to its Level x 100.

• You can banish 1 Normal Dinosaur or Dragon monster from your GY; Fusion Summon 1 Dinosaur or Dragon Fusion Monster, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from your hand or field.

two_headed_king_s_roar_by_bdsceptyr-dbtn

[spoiler=Two-Headed King's Roar: Info]

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: If this card is activated while you control no monsters: You can take 1 EARTH or DARK Dinosaur monster from your Deck, and either Special Summon it if it is a Normal Monster, or add it to your hand. You can Normal Summon Level 6 and 7 Dragon or Dinosaur monsters for 1 less Tribute. Once per turn: You can target 1 Level 7 or lower Dragon or Dinosaur monster you control; It gains 400 ATK, plus 400 more ATK if it is a non-Effect Monster (permanently), it can make up to 2 attacks during each Battle Phase this turn, also any monster with a different Type that it battles while it is on the field has its effects negated until the end of the Damage Step. You can only activate 1 "Two-Headed King's Roar" per turn.

but let's be real, y'all came for this sweet number of a Serpent Night retrains, so let's get crackin'

(extremely Dr. Weird voice) BEHOLD

serpent_pitchblack_nightmare_dragon_by_b

[spoiler=Serpent Pitchblack Nightmare Dragon: Info]

Lore: "Serpent Night Dragon" + "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" OR 1 Dinosaur monster

When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can activate this effect; during the next Standby Phase, Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower monster from your hand or Deck with the same Type and Attribute as 1 of this card's Fusion Materials. It gains 600 ATK/DEF, also if you Summoned a Gemini monster this way, that monster is treated as an Effect Monster and gains its effects. Once per turn, If a Dragon or Dinosaur monster(s) you control would be destroyed (by battle or card effect), you can banish 2 Dragon and/or Dinosaur monsters from your GY in any combination, instead.

BDS, signing off.

Good to see Dinosaurs as well as Serpent Night! Shame I don't have anything better to say tho :(

Megazowler provides some neat support for non-effect Dinosaurs, which includes all Normals and one or two Fusions no one will ever Summon. But hey, we're all here for the Normals, right? Also support for all those Dinosaur Gemini monsters, which include...yeah. Not bad Summoning conditions, and neat swarming conditions. Nothing spectacular, but your basic functional Konami support.

Triassic provides some MR4 related field destruction, which is somewhat neat...I guess. I get how the EARTH/DARK and Level 4 or higher relates to Rex Raptor, but the restriction still hurts it, even with its ATK boost. Why not tie into Normals as well, and even try and fit in less restrictions? As for the Rex restriction...there's what, 3 Rex Dinosaurs? And even on the off chance that I did want to Fusion Summon, by banishing Two-Headed King Rex, the most likely target in this sort of deck, I've already lost one of my materials I would be able to Fusion Summon with. This is just a poor card that does little to help their cards. Great art though. Where did you get it?

Roar is decent, I guess, even though there are very few targets to search. I just wish you had expanded or improved the pool these cards could look at it. The meat is the ATK boosting, Tribute enabling, effect negation and double attacking, which are a great combination, but it's still only a good card in the mire that is Dinosaur monsters (never forgetti). Again, I get how you wanted to stick with the Rex Raptor theme, but surely you had more to work with than this?

AGGGGGGGGHHHHH THIS CARD IS SO DISAPPOINTING. Sorry about that, it's just that since Nightmare can use a Red-Eyes B. Dragon as a Fusion Material it will never merit running Serpent Night ;-;  In fact, this card is almost extremely great support for Red-Eyes, except...Dinosaurs. Why? Even Serpent Night isn't a Dinosaur, and although I see the little Normal Support that seems to be the theme with this set, why force it upon an otherwise decent card? Protection, extra Summon, stat boost and enabling, it almost had it. Almost.

Look, ngl, these cards were really disappointing. As one who loves Normals and the original DM cards, I was hoping for support that was both faithful and decent, and yet these cards struggle at the end of the two wrong extremes, with only the worst support at the most faithful of times and the best of these cards struggle in their flavour.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, but despite the hate I've been throwing at you, there's some cool ideas in creating new archetypes that tie into original Dinos plays. They just need to be executed better, and judging from your other work, I don't doubt you can do it.

Good to see Dinosaurs as well as Serpent Night! Shame I don't have anything better to say tho :(

Megazowler provides some neat support for non-effect Dinosaurs, which includes all Normals and one or two Fusions no one will ever Summon. But hey, we're all here for the Normals, right? Also support for all those Dinosaur Gemini monsters, which include...yeah. Not bad Summoning conditions, and neat swarming conditions. Nothing spectacular, but your basic functional Konami support.

Triassic provides some MR4 related field destruction, which is somewhat neat...I guess. I get how the EARTH/DARK and Level 4 or higher relates to Rex Raptor, but the restriction still hurts it, even with its ATK boost. Why not tie into Normals as well, and even try and fit in less restrictions? As for the Rex restriction...there's what, 3 Rex Dinosaurs? And even on the off chance that I did want to Fusion Summon, by banishing Two-Headed King Rex, the most likely target in this sort of deck, I've already lost one of my materials I would be able to Fusion Summon with. This is just a poor card that does little to help their cards. Great art though. Where did you get it?

Roar is decent, I guess, even though there are very few targets to search. I just wish you had expanded or improved the pool these cards could look at it. The meat is the ATK boosting, Tribute enabling, effect negation and double attacking, which are a great combination, but it's still only a good card in the mire that is Dinosaur monsters (never forgetti). Again, I get how you wanted to stick with the Rex Raptor theme, but surely you had more to work with than this?

AGGGGGGGGHHHHH THIS CARD IS SO DISAPPOINTING. Sorry about that, it's just that since Nightmare can use a Red-Eyes B. Dragon as a Fusion Material it will never merit running Serpent Night ;-;  In fact, this card is almost extremely great support for Red-Eyes, except...Dinosaurs. Why? Even Serpent Night isn't a Dinosaur, and although I see the little Normal Support that seems to be the theme with this set, why force it upon an otherwise decent card? Protection, extra Summon, stat boost and enabling, it almost had it. Almost.

Look, ngl, these cards were really disappointing. As one who loves Normals and the original DM cards, I was hoping for support that was both faithful and decent, and yet these cards struggle at the end of the two wrong extremes, with only the worst support at the most faithful of times and the best of these cards struggle in their flavour.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, but despite the hate I've been throwing at you, there's some cool ideas in creating new archetypes that tie into original Dinos plays. They just need to be executed better, and judging from your other work, I don't doubt you can do it.

I have heard the laments of my star critic and found them incredibly sound. So I shall use this update to address them all. 

Right, the original name of the game here was to bring in vanilla Dinos/Dragons in a way that didn't swing open the floodgates into another Dino-Rabbit breed where it's just using this to swarm the board with Evolzar Xyzes-especially Solda considering this allows Bracchio-raidus, Megazowler and Sword Arm of Dragon and Stegocyber to run rampart in this Deck. I also wished to avoid this giving material comfort to Blue-Eyes, which already have enough spamming of vanilla Dragons without me throwing the doors open to them. But the more I looked through your criticism, the more I realized-that's more the Evolzar Xyz'es fault for being that way, rather than these cards for enabling them. I never stopped making WATER Tuners because Ice Barrier Synchros/Megaloatlanteans would and could likely abuse 'em, why do for Ice Barrier's counterpart across the blazing ocean? (nevermind the tag not making much sense, originally it was called Oceans Ablaze, why they stopped's beyond me.

Once this was understood, streamlining the farrago of restrictions I slapped on those monsters was cakewalk. 

Multi-Bladed Megazowler got a knockdown in stats and Level-now it's at Fossil-Dig searching Level 6 (like the two monsters that make it, Sword Arm (has its DEF +500) and Megazowler (has its ATK +500)), making it a motely maindeck boss for Rex Raptor that can pump out other mini-bosses and make them play prevent defense. Sorta like a slightly more powercreeped Spirit of the Pharaoh. That's searchable by 2 cards now. And stat-drops with each card it brings out so you don't feel too lonely without Lost World. Also yes, it Summons Dragon Normal Monsters, I may make that Level 7 vanilla Dragons instead of DARK vanilla Drags, but its solid then and solid now, even if the cost is a bit hefty-any higher and players would Space-Time Transcend it out, any lower and we'd have Ultimate (Bank) Collector Tyranno ver. 2.

Triassic World? I took a look at the restrictions and decided to keep them to Summoning vanilla Dinos and Dragons-between Multi-Blade and Two-Headed King's Roar, they'll not be longing for beef-up options anymore. Also I feel, that in both your talk about this card and Roar, that a monster this Deck can bring out and keep in has been sorely overlooked here: Giant Rex, which resummons with more and more power each time it's banished. All of these Summoning methods bring it massive amounts of food, and with this card, you can flood the zone with an army of eternally resummoned vanilla Dinos and Dragons-now by banishing as well-to pump up with Roar and protect with well-timed Miscellaneousauruses, before using one of the vanillas for a Fusion Summon of Serpent Pitchblack Nightmare Dragon-which brings forth another monster on the next turn to keep the train rolling smooth. 

Speaking of such, Two-Headed King's Roar's effect isn't a once per turn thing-that'd literally bring the nightmare of Dino-Rabbits back hard being able to bring out monsters from the Deck a turn each turn, I learned from Zoodi Barrage-but it still allows you easier ladders into the other Level 6 Dinos and Level 7 Dragon monsters clogging up your hand, and empowers them-the ATK gain's permanent and applies to vanillas under Level 8 (so no DAHNO DNA shanaynays), and so the negation of effects of any monster it battles-good luck getting over, UTL and Crystal Wing. With that in hand, I'm certain Roar's earned its keep in the Deck now.

And speaking of keep, I've switched up the Fusion Requirements for my biggest blunder in Serpent Pitchblack Nightmare Dragon. I originally wanted this to be the ultimate homage-Rex Raptor's 2 single Dragon monsters that he used in his first Duel against Joey, Serpent Night and Red-Eyes B. Dragon, combined with a Dinosaur-the other half of his strategy that, again, made me think of Evolzars when I first saw THEM debut. Made the generic requirement more worthwhile to that variable condition as well-now it can Summon a monster with same typing and Attribute as one of the materials to come out with a 600 ATK/DEF boost, and the protection effect's even more forgiving now. Really, that was what I really felt could have been more and now is, especially considering Serpent Night Dragon felt secondary to this Fusion and turned it into even more of a bastard cousin of Red-Eyes Slash Dragon than before-now....well, it still is related to that, but as the cool brother with a drop-down TV in his dining room he always let you watch Saturday morning cartoons on, and cartons of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

So that is my complementary bump. Hope this all fixes the kinks with Vanilla Dahnos.

Megazowler is a much better card now, as you intended. Great speed with little restrictions plus a granted effect? What fun. The Dragon, while still weird in my books despite its flavour and lore-dedication, doesn't really affect it outside of its intended Deck, so there's no problem there. Triassic World grants speed and Fusion Summoning without much cost, and again, the Dragon restriction doesn't affect it that much, except make it that little more useful in certain situations. Only worry could be Fusion Summoning in BEWD, but hey, they have better means to Fusion Summon, so this card isn't a problem. King's Roar is a great card to support your favorite Two-headed King Rex in a very lore-centric way. It's not going to make it meta, but for a single card that supports it, that's not a bad job. Really fast Speed, easy Summons for your Rex Raptor character Deck, and good ol' double attacking to fit with Rex. Nightmare...weow, keeps most of itself and yet you managed to change it to not only be more reliant on the OG Serpent Night, but to grant a lot more freedom in either Deck (or your Character Deck or both) you Summon it in, with a much better protection and Summoning restriction.

I can understand the want to not fall to Evolzars, but I'm glad you edited these. They're not going to be winning any Regionals (RIP Rex Raptor) but they're much better, and despite being almost very generic in places, one can definitely see the theme you were going for, and the combination of the cards makes for a quite decent Deck in itself. Now, if only we had a way to mill Dinosaurs properly to enable these cards...

Archived