Child Molestation, Sexual Misconduct, and Rape Accusations

Dad

Subject:

How do you effectively change the laws affecting false convictions in a way that benefits real victims and real rapists?

I'm torn. On one hand, the idea that false accusations are anywhere near as much of a problem as actual rape and demands immediate action is actually some MRA redpill bullshit that somehow made it into the public debate.

On the other hand, I generally err on the side of preferring the guilty to go free than the innocent to be punished for something they didn't do.

I think the criminal justice system as a whole should be reformed to give no inherent incentive to accuse someone of a crime unless you legitimately want them to improve their lives and become a better person. I think the idea of "justice" and "punishment" for crimes needs to go out the window and the system should be focused entirely on either rehabilitation, or in the case where such is either impossible or outright rejected by the perpetrator, should be focused on keeping society safe from these people.

This is a bit of an extreme view and not very likely to happen, but I legitimately believe that the idea of the victim getting retribution is bad for society and that the system should instead encourage empathy and understanding for all but the most heinous crimes that signify that the person in question simply cannot be changed.

I'm aware of how hopelessly idealistic this is but keep in mind that I'm an an-com and hopeless idealism is kind of my thing.

The huge problem with all this is that it's really hard to find concrete 'evidence' for sexual assault, especially in less severe cases. (less physically severe, mind you)

So it becomes a he-said she-said thing.  Do you just believe every women that comes forward and give people power to destroy lives should they chose to, or do you employ skepticism and risk actual victims being ignored?

On one hand, the blindly one sided "listen and believe" nonsense is a terrible idea, but on the other, a lot of people seem to remain skeptical of almost every rape case.  Only one woman came forward?  Not enough evidence.  40 women came forward?  Far too convenient. 

etc. etc.

But tl;dr I have no idea what the solution is. 

Subject:

How do you effectively change the laws affecting false convictions in a way that benefits real victims and real rapists?

Just have some piddly fine for a false accusation, like 1k or something. Being cleared of all charges is in itself a full relief, but between being cleared and being accused you're sorta ruined.

I'm torn. On one hand, the idea that false accusations are anywhere near as much of a problem as actual rape and demands immediate action is actually some MRA redpill bullshit that somehow made it into the public debate.

On the other hand, I generally err on the side of preferring the guilty to go free than the innocent to be punished for something they didn't do.

In the United States, the FBI Uniform Crime Report in 1996 and the United States Department of Justice in 1997 reported that 8% of accusations for forcible rape had been through investigation determined to be false

That's not small or insignificant. I agree with your statement however. I prefer a 1000 guilty men walk than one innocent man hanging

• 4 weeks later...

It's always pretty sad when a person with obvious mental problems commits suicide. The one silver lining is that someone so blatantly corrupt and horrible is no longer in the position of power over anyone.

All that said, you can listen to the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting episodes (ie: the accusations he killed himself over) here:

http://longcon.kycir.org/

SPOILER - It's not JUST molesting a 17 year old girl that got him into trouble.

▪ In 1985, Louisville police found Johnson’s Cadillac Coupe de Ville doused with gasoline. Two people arrested at the scene said Johnson had paid them to torch it. Johnson reported it stolen the next morning but eventually admitted he’d paid to have it destroyed so he could collect insurance. Indicted on charges of arson and filing a false police report, he pleaded not guilty and completed a six-month diversion program and the charges were dropped.

▪ In 2000, Johnson’s Heart of Fire church burned in a blaze that investigators concluded was intentionally set. The back door was unlocked and a flammable liquid had been poured along a hallway. Johnson said the church had been threatened and blamed the Ku Klux Klan. The insurance company sued, raising questions about poor security and pointing out the church was deep in debt, as is common in arson cases. That case was settled and no arson charges were filed.

▪ Alcoholic Beverage Control officers have cited Johnson and the church three times for selling alcohol without a license. These sales happened at regular weekend church parties. KyCIR described them as “Bikers, booze and, occasionally, bare breasts ... a costume party featuring zombie nuns in short skirts.” In a 2009 trial Johnson, dressed in a priest’s collar and wearing a cross, claimed that the drinks were served as part of a “communion.”

Archived