[FLOD] Trickstar and Gouki

Trickstar-Bella-Madonna.png?resize=206%2

Trickstar Bellamadonna

Light Fairy / Link / Effect

Link 4 2800 / T R BL B

2+ “Trickstar” monsters

You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.

(1) While this Link Summoned card does not point to any monsters, it is unaffected by activated effects from other cards.

(2) If this card does not point to any monsters: You can inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each “Trickstar” monster with a different name in your GY.

Trickstar-Mandrake.png?resize=300%2C207&

FLOD-JP007 Trickstar Mandrake

LIGHT Fairy/Effect

LV2 0/1000

You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.

(1): If this card is sent from the hand to the GY: You can Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Position, but banish it when it leaves the field.

(2): If this card is sent to the GY as Material for the Link Summon of a “Trickstar” Monster: You can target 1 monster a Link Monster your opponent controls points to; destroy it.

FLOD-JP006 Trickstar Hiyosu/Hensbane

LIGHT Fairy/Effect

LV1 100/0

You can only use this card name’s effect once per turn.

(1): If this card is sent to the GY as Material for the Link Summon of a “Trickstar” Monster: You can Special Summon this card from your GY, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Gouki-The-master-ogre.png?resize=206%2C3

Gouki The Master Ogre

Earth Warrior / Link / Effect

Link 4 2800 / T BL B BR

2+ “Gouki’ monsters

(1) Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can return any number of “Gouki” monsters this card points to the hand, then target that many face-up cards your opponent controls; negate the effects of those cards until the end of this turn.

(2) This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls, once each. While your opponent controls a face-up monster(s), this card can only target the monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK for an attack.

Gouki-Octolock.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

Gouki Manjilock / Gouki Octostretch

Earth Warrior / Effect

LV1 0/0

You can only use this card name’s (3) effect once per turn.

(1) If an opponent’s monster attacks, during damage calculation: You can discard this card; halve the battle damage you would take from that battle.

(2) When your opponent activates a card effect that would inflict effect damage to you, including during the Damage Step (Quick Effect): You can discard this card; halve the effect damage you would take from that effect.

(3) If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can add 1 “Gouki” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Gouki Manjilock”.

Gouki-Face-Turn-and-Hug-Bear.png?resize=

Gouki Hugbear

Earth Warrior / Effect

LV6 2400/0

You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.

(1) If this card is Normal Summoned, or Special Summoned by a “Gouki” card effect: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK becomes half its original ATK, until the end of this turn.

(2) If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can add 1 “Gouki” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Gouki Hugbear”.

Gouki Face-Turn

Spell Normal

You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.

(1) Target 1 “Gouki” card you control and 1 “Gouki” monster in your GY; destroy the first target, and if you do, Special Summon the second target from your GY.

WHY? Why can't Gouki be any faster?

I kinda miss the burn theme Trickstars had...

because trickstar is the chosen blackwing archetype of the anime

the link 4 trickstar is good for the potential extra burn, but the real star of the reveal is the level 1 main deck monster, the slight steering away from burn is for the best, especially in the link monster, because the deck will no longer be a one and a half trick pony. but the fact that holly angel is still the biggest beater the deck has, in addition to the fact that holly angel has a better burn overall via lycoris, narkissus and lilybel summon abuse, means this card is basically overshadowed before it even exists.

mandrake will probably be useful down the line, when links come out in force, and colinking becomes more common, but i seriously wish it didn't target on top of having to hit a monster that's being pointed to by a link monster. one or the other, would have been perfectly fine, why both were added, with an OPT on top, baffles me. the destruction effect is far too specific to actually be useful. targeting destruction has enough ways to doge, link pointing can be dodged in many of the same ways, the two of them together is almost guaranteed to end up like a monster with stormtrooper tier aim. this is essentially double targeting destruction, so there's even more room for things to go wrong, and to top it off, the link monster itself, the card most likely to be the problem, won't even be hit. not even sure i'd run 1 of it the way the deck is now.

hiyosu is the best card in the lineup honestly, the L4 is nice to have, but the 3 L2's we have, do more than enough already, and mandrake is a good monster in theory, but trickstars don't discard often enough for the self summon to matter, and 

Guest BGMCANN0N

Well from my dislike of the bandwagon build: I obviously want Trickstars to be pushed in a different direction... I, for one can appreciate Hensbane as a great One-for One target for that Link laddering capability. Although, I forgot what the other Trickstar Links are like on the account of never seeing them used...

Edit: Though i got ninja'd about Hensbane so whatever...

IMO Mandrake is the biggest gem of this Trickstar batch. I mean, you can even tech it in other decks with discards costs or whatever to get it back on the board, and as a Level2 it should have some synergies here and there. Maybe in Paleozoics for example? IDK. And while the second effect is a bit too specific, I see it as more of icing on the cake, since you should be playing it mainly for its first effect.

Then again, Hiyosu gets Level1 support for whatever that's worth. Funnily enough, you can play One for One discarding Mandrake, to search Hiyosu, and you get both Trickstars on the field xD

On the other hand, cannot but feel Goukis are still getting the shorter end of the stick. While reading Octostretch I was hoping its Gouki staple effect would be a bit different and let it trigger even if it's sent from the hand so it works paired with its hand trap effects but... nope, it's still a "from field to GY" condition. At least it gets to work with One for One as mentioned above. And the Spell doesn't look half bad, although the bit of setup it needs may get in the way, IDK.

Master Ogre (quick play spell/monster negator) and Octo (level 1 gouki, emergency psuedo kuriboh) are solid additions to the gouki archtype ... that being said they do not fix any of the main issues goukis have.

The issue Gouki has as an archtype is not to maintain advantage, it is obviously to actually be able to get out one's own cards, they would kill to get a card like red ojama or something like that.

Archived