Why we will NEVER get any Evil HERO Archetype support (my own conspiracy theory).

Konami just revealed the new Xtra HERO Sub-Archetype, which seem to revolve around Link Summoning and Fusion Summoning, but this caused some players to become confused and angry with Konami; why make a new HERO Sub-Archetype when they could have given support to Evil HEROES.

​For as long as the Evil HEROES specifically have been in the game, I've always thought about why they didn't get any specific support for themselves as compared to Elemental HEROES, Destiny HEROES, and Masked HEROES and I never came to a definite answer with myself, until now. Before I continue, there is nothing wrong with the effects or overall gameplay of the Evil HEROES so the reasons I will give will have nothing to do with that aspect. I truly think that the biggest (possibly the only reason) is that these cards were used by a main antagonist character in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Now I know what you're thinking ("YOU STUPID PERSON, the Evil HEROES were used by Jaden Yuki the main PROTAGONIST of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) and you would be partly correct; the Evil HEROES are used by Jaden Yuki, but not really. Here's a snippet of the wikia article about the Evil HEROES:

Evil HERO" (E-HERO(イービルヒーロー) Ībiru Hīrō) is a series of Fiend monsters with various Attributes (primarily EARTH and FIRE) that are part of the "HERO" archetype used by Jaden Yuki in the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime temporarily after being possessed by The Supreme King.

​But I am thoroughly convinced that this is the only plausible reason for why the Evil HEROES don't get any support specific to themselves. The Evil HEROES are technically not Jaden's but belong to a being (who just so happens to be Jaden's super-ultra-great grandpa) as he is possessing Jaden, this is supported in the series by Jaden not using ANY cards directly relating to the Evil HEROES for the remainder of GX (Super Polymerization doesn't count as it was a bigger part of the story). Another part of this from a real-world perspective is that the marketing for the Evil HEROES would be very conflicting with Jaden's already established Elemental HEROES, as the Elemental HEROES represent traditional superheroes from comics but the Evil HEROES represent anti-heroes or villains. So to pull off the Evil HEROES as being part of the main protagonist's deck and not some "ghost" that possesses him during one arc of the anime, they would've had to jump through way too many hoops in hopes of selling them to the public at the time.

​I'll explain, Konami censors this game in the TCG deliberately and exclusively for marketing purposes and part of that marketing is selling a narrative to its target demographic of mostly young kids 6 yrs old or slightly older, being that the game is about friendship, never-giving up against the odds, and that the "good guy" or main protagonist never fails when fighting the forces of evil, but because of how young that demographic is they also basically have to sell this to the parents of those kids as well. To sell a kid (and their parents) on the idea that the main "good guy" of your series now has evil powers (in this case "evil" cards) because he's temporarily evil but its okay because he's still the main "good guy" is extremely hard to do no matter what franchise you're talking about, and I think that if Konami gave specific support to the Evil HEROES they would (in their minds) be confirming them as part of Jaden's deck and thus would make him confusing as a main protagonist and harder to sell his cards to kids, especially at the time when they were first released.

​Now, before you say anything, I could shoot down what I've just said entirely by mentioning that something very similar happened in ARC-V where the main protagonist (Yuya Sakaki) became the main antagonist for a few episodes because he was directly related to another being (Zarc) and the cards that Zarc used were his own and not Yuya's because some of them were only used during those episodes. The big difference here is that most of the cards Zarc used were made into real cards and were given their own Archetype support. As for why this happened, I guess that its because now people (kids and parents) are more able to accept that a main protagonist or "good guy" can become evil under certain circumstances, even if temporarily, but that character can also become good once again in that story so its okay to market them as such, whereas when the Evil HEROES came out things mostly from a marketing standpoint had to be black and white; your character is either good or evil not something in between.

​Take everything I've said with a grain of salt, or an entire saltshaker if you have to. I am not apart of Konami at all, I don't work for them nor do I have anything to do with how the anime is written or produced. I could be dead wrong and I'm admitting that, so until Konami comes out and tells us why they won't support Evil HEROES directly or better yet, just gives them support, we won't know but if you enjoyed what I wrote then your welcome and have a nice day, afternoon, or evening (depending on when you read this).

Konami isn't afraid of being edgy. That's just false. Dark World, Darklord, BA, Gimmick Puppets, Frightfur, the list goes on, really.

That's not what I said, I said they wouldn't give an archetype similar to the Evil HEROES to the main protagonist of any series. The archetypes you listed are not used by the main protagonist of any Yu-Gi-Oh! series just the supporting cast. The main protagonist (Yugi, Jaden, Yusei, Yuma, Yuya, and Yusaku) have always used Decks where the motif is usually cute or generic "cool" with only a small handful of cards that are ever edgy and even then a lot of those cards are just seen one-time in the anime and never again after that.

It was honestly disappointing how much Jaden's cards have had this treatment.

Not only Evil HERO but they also dropped Neos. One would think the manga would make some sort of alternate version of him, being Jaden's main Ace and all, instead of branching out into a completely different direction.

Evil HERO is a rather outdated mechanic. The materials were ahead of their time for Dark Gaia, but the "only Dark Fusion" bit sucks, and isn't even faithful to the anime where at least one was fused via Super Poly.

Anime HERO monsters actually have 0 Fusions in existence that'd actually benefit from Super Poly, thinking about it.... That's missed potential there.

The anime in general also I think screwed up at not making Evil HERO Fusions ever again, since one of the points of Jaden's development was to embrace and accept the fact he was the Supreme King, and live with it without letting it take over. It wasn't even a question of will, but he was at peace with it iirc. Yet he never used it. He used everything else (Winged Kuriboh, Yubel, Neos, classic anime Elemental HEROes, his self-drawn cards such as Dandylion and Spell Striker,etc.) but no Evil HEROes.

I think lack of further support had more to do with a momentary gimmick they wanted to try which would be easy to leave behind afterwards. That is why they restricted what could fuse them up, had a couple of them require materials that make regular HERO decks go out of their way to include types for them, and received no support from the rest of the HERO archetype, while giving the impression the extra power to the effects actually made them better. Flame Wingman vs Inferno Wing (bigger burn at times, pierce, effect target protection, but Evils had less combinations to play around with the same materials and couldn't use Skyscraper).

Sadly, Neos is also a deck deliberately made with shortcomings. Low stats but Level a little too high to benefit from lightness of small monster support, a double-tribute vanilla that you need to bring out every time you wanna make a play and leaves the field on its own pretty quickly, a field spell that doesn't support the Neo Spacians themselves, and a support archetype that only functions around the field spell and whose only purpose is to bring out regular Neo Spacians (and not even from anywhere).

It was honestly disappointing how much Jaden's cards have had this treatment.

Not only Evil HERO but they also dropped Neos. One would think the manga would make some sort of alternate version of him, being Jaden's main Ace and all, instead of branching out into a completely different direction.

Evil HERO is a rather outdated mechanic. The materials were ahead of their time for Dark Gaia, but the "only Dark Fusion" bit sucks, and isn't even faithful to the anime where at least one was fused via Super Poly.

Anime HERO monsters actually have 0 Fusions in existence that'd actually benefit from Super Poly, thinking about it.... That's missed potential there.

The anime in general also I think screwed up at not making Evil HERO Fusions ever again, since one of the points of Jaden's development was to embrace and accept the fact he was the Supreme King, and live with it without letting it take over. It wasn't even a question of will, but he was at peace with it iirc. Yet he never used it. He used everything else (Winged Kuriboh, Yubel, Neos, classic anime Elemental HEROes, his self-drawn cards such as Dandylion and Spell Striker,etc.) but no Evil HEROes.

I think lack of further support had more to do with a momentary gimmick they wanted to try which would be easy to leave behind afterwards. That is why they restricted what could fuse them up, had a couple of them require materials that make regular HERO decks go out of their way to include types for them, and received no support from the rest of the HERO archetype, while giving the impression the extra power to the effects actually made them better. Flame Wingman vs Inferno Wing (bigger burn at times, pierce, effect target protection, but Evils had less combinations to play around with the same materials and couldn't use Skyscraper).

Sadly, Neos is also a deck deliberately made with shortcomings. Low stats but Level a little too high to benefit from lightness of small monster support, a double-tribute vanilla that you need to bring out every time you wanna make a play and leaves the field on its own pretty quickly, a field spell that doesn't support the Neo Spacians themselves, and a support archetype that only functions around the field spell and whose only purpose is to bring out regular Neo Spacians (and not even from anywhere).

The entire GX anime to be honest was just really all over the place and I think is the worst Yu-Gi-Oh! series to date (the second worst being ZEXAL).

The entire GX anime to be honest was just really all over the place and I think is the worst Yu-Gi-Oh! series to date (the second worst being ZEXAL).

It was wonky and awkward, but I disagree. I think:

Arc V < ZeXal < GX < Original < 5Ds

In terms of overall points.

Arc V's final episodes, or even final arcs (really anything in the Synchro Dimension and up) has such a bad payoff and crappy pacing. It is such a shame it started out so well.

ZeXal has made some "bottom of the barrel" unforgivable fuckups and I could basically write a book about everything I dislike of these two series. The crappy "monster of the week" esque duels with Gilag's mind control when the characters already needed to move places and get the story going, or the defragmentation of Varian Force into Numeron Force, because despite all the crappy actions Vector did outside of the duel, in terms of in-duel his strategy was a legit one and he did not cheat moves in-game, yet Yuma just went "funk it" in a way that goes way past any destiny draw/shining draw shenanigans of any characters up to that time. 

GX was a bad slice of life at the beginning, and I confess I hated it back when it was the new thing. But overall I think Jaden, Chazz, Syrus, a bunch of characters had proper development and growth over the course of it. It properly showcased enough old and new themes, really carrying over and not just 100% showing new product. I find myself going back to watch the GX duels a lot more than any other series (it's like DM's duels but actually following up most of the rules of the game, you know? ). Jaden, Chazz, and Bastion are about the characters I enjoy the most out of all series. Some duels were situational and/or archetype-hell levels of heavy, but it was a fun ride. 

Though I think GX is more or less the mid-point. DM is the first truly "above water" kind of deal, where the characters have more to them than the card game. As in, the card game is a facet of them, rather than them being a facet of the card game. They have dreams and goals and futures past it, and overall put on the base from where future series could build up from.

5Ds has its flaws as well but I think it is a "golden age" of Yugioh sort of speak, both for the anime and the card game... The 5Ds finale was about the only spinoff finale where I was still enjoying the ride. No crappy Don Thousand "revive something the writers forgot was banished" moves or "C1000 should have been in Defense Position" plotholes. No "funk the lives and dreams of the other Yu boys, it is all about Yuya's and nobody else, and Yuzu counterparts are all useless damsels in distress, including how Ray didn't even have a body to come back to, and so we are funking up a female lead x5 for a new record within the same series... remember SMILE!!!". No drug-rides of spiritual tyrannosaurs blasting military cannons or darkness incarnate talking about how the universe was created by the card game (which might be breaking the 4th wall now that I think of it), 

VRAINS has been able to build up expectations from my part. If it stays steady or gets better, it can eventually take the throne IMO, but Arc V disappointed me so much after I thought they were going SOOO well.... I probably should have the same amount of faith on it as I do on Ash winning a canon league in Pokemon soon until it concludes and proves itself... =(

I don't particularly enjoy most of the duels, but that's out of my feelings for the current game in general more than anything else, they can't help it. Though I do like the characters more than their games tbh... 

- - - - - -

I just made this so much longer than I wanted it to be..... uh... ups? xD

It was wonky and awkward, but I disagree. I think:

Arc V < ZeXal < GX < Original < 5Ds

In terms of overall points.

Arc V's final episodes, or even final arcs (really anything in the Synchro Dimension and up) has such a bad payoff and crappy pacing. It is such a shame it started out so well.

ZeXal has made some "bottom of the barrel" unforgivable f***ups and I could basically write a book about everything I dislike of these two series. The crappy "monster of the week" esque duels with Gilag's mind control when the characters already needed to move places and get the story going, or the defragmentation of Varian Force into Numeron Force, because despite all the crappy actions Vector did outside of the duel, in terms of in-duel his strategy was a legit one and he did not cheat moves in-game, yet Yuma just went "f*** it" in a way that goes way past any destiny draw/shining draw shenanigans of any characters up to that time. 

GX was a bad slice of life at the beginning, and I confess I hated it back when it was the new thing. But overall I think Jaden, Chazz, Syrus, a bunch of characters had proper development and growth over the course of it. It properly showcased enough old and new themes, really carrying over and not just 100% showing new product. I find myself going back to watch the GX duels a lot more than any other series (it's like DM's duels but actually following up most of the rules of the game, you know? ). Jaden, Chazz, and Bastion are about the characters I enjoy the most out of all series. Some duels were situational and/or archetype-hell levels of heavy, but it was a fun ride. 

Though I think GX is more or less the mid-point. DM is the first truly "above water" kind of deal, where the characters have more to them than the card game. As in, the card game is a facet of them, rather than them being a facet of the card game. They have dreams and goals and futures past it, and overall put on the base from where future series could build up from.

5Ds has its flaws as well but I think it is a "golden age" of Yugioh sort of speak, both for the anime and the card game... The 5Ds finale was about the only spinoff finale where I was still enjoying the ride. No crappy Don Thousand "revive something the writers forgot was banished" moves or "C1000 should have been in Defense Position" plotholes. No "f*** the lives and dreams of the other Yu boys, it is all about Yuya's and nobody else, and Yuzu counterparts are all useless damsels in distress, including how Ray didn't even have a body to come back to, and so we are f***ing up a female lead x5 for a new record within the same series... remember SMILE!!!". No drug-rides of spiritual tyrannosaurs blasting military cannons or darkness incarnate talking about how the universe was created by the card game (which might be breaking the 4th wall now that I think of it), 

VRAINS has been able to build up expectations from my part. If it stays steady or gets better, it can eventually take the throne IMO, but Arc V disappointed me so much after I thought they were going SOOO well.... I probably should have the same amount of faith on it as I do on Ash winning a canon league in Pokemon soon until it concludes and proves itself... =(

I don't particularly enjoy most of the duels, but that's out of my feelings for the current game in general more than anything else, they can't help it. Though I do like the characters more than their games tbh... 

- - - - - -

I just made this so much longer than I wanted it to be..... uh... ups? xD

I still think GX is the worst I've seen followed by ZEXAL but I did like some of the Summoning sequences, Original and 5D's are the best with 5D's being more competent of its overall plot and messaging, the Original for the nostalgia and partly for the writing especially during the Waking the Dragons arc. ARC-V was "meh" with a few good Summoning sequences but like you said worthlessly inconsistent, and I think VRAINS is trying to be a modern version of 5D's which is a good thing no matter what. Though I do understand what you are saying and I respect it.

• 3 weeks later...

If that theory was true how come Ancient Gears got support? It was used by the Obelisk Task Force, Yuri, Dennis, Crowler (the only good guy in the yugioh series though he was the antagonist in the first season until the Shadow Riders), and etc.

I think you are right about Konami not making more Evil Hero support due to Jaden temporarily being evil and taken over by his great ancestor/darkness. Only way I can see them getting new support is if someone in the anime that is not Jaden uses them kinda like the Ancient Gear cards.

Only way I can see them getting new support is if someone in the anime that is not Jaden uses them kinda like the Ancient Gear cards.

Even then I think now there's just too many HERO sub-Archetypes that get support anyway and Konami might know that, so more than likely if we get new Evil HEROES they might just be generic HERO support and not for themselves specifically.

Archived