Kyoryu Archetype (13/13)

Atypical-Abbie

Kyoryu is an Archetype of Dinosaur monsters with different Levels and Attributes. They focus on Tribute Summoning and Counters, and also have a Synchro Monster. Each Level 5 and higher monsters has an effect that allows them to Tribute monsters in the hand for its Tribute Summon, which is one extra than normal for balance reasons, and all monsters have an effect that triggers if Tributed while in the hand. Along with that, they focus on Counters, and by using Land of the Kyoryu, you can get two monsters out without Tributing at all, and with Age of the Kyoryu you can Normal Summon them during the opponent's turn, so you can get a lot of monsters on the board. Kyoryu is the Japanese word for Dinosaur (according to Google)

Main Deck Monsters:

Mountain Kyoryu, Earth Berserker

Dinosaur/EARTH/Tuner

Level 4

Can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dinosaur monster while face-up on the field. If this card is Tributes while in the hand: You can Special Summon this card from your GY in Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Mountain Kyoryu, Earth Berserker" once per turn.

1500/2000

Flaming Kyoryu, Lava Walker

Dinosaur/FIRE

Level 5

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 2 "Kyoryu" monsters in your hand or field with different Attributes. Once per turn: You can target 1 other "Kyoryu" card you control you can place a Kyoryu Counter on; place 1 Kyoryu Counter on that target. If this card is Tributed while in the hand: You can add 1 "Kyoryu" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Flaming Kyoryu, Lava Walker". You can only use this effect of "Flaming Kyoryu, Lava Walker" once per turn.

2000/1800

Thundering Kyoryu, Loud Lightning

Dinosaur/LIGHT

Level 5

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 2 "Kyoryu" monsters in your hand or field with different Attributes. Once per turn: You can remove 1 Kyoryu Counter from your field, then target 1 "Kyoryu" card in your GY; add it to your hand. If this card is Tributed while in the hand: You can add 1 "Kyoryu" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Thundering Kyoryu, Loud Lightning" once per turn.

2200/1500

Tornado Kyoryu, Storm Starter

Dinosaur/WIND

Level 6

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 2 "Kyoryu" monsters in your hand or field with different Attributes. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Dinosaur monster from your hand. If this card is Tributed while in the hand: You can Special Summon 1 "Kyoryu" monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Tornado Kyoryu, Storm Starter" once per turn.

2400/1000

Tsunami Kyoryu, Wave Breaker

Dinosaur/WATER

Level 7

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 3 "Kyoryu" monsters in your hand or field with different Attributes. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can destroy all monsters your opponent controls. If this card was Tributed by using 3 "Kyoryu" monsters, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation. If this card is Tributed while in the hand: You can target 1 "Kyoryu" card you control you can place a Kyoryu Counter on; place 2 Kyoryu Counters on that target. You can only use this effect of "Tsunami Kyoryu, Wave Breaker" once per turn.

2500/2500

Doom Kyoryu, Devastation Crusher

Dinosaur/DARK

Level 8

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 3 "Kyoryu" monsters in your hand or field with different Attributes. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can destroy all Spells/Traps your opponent controls. If this card was Tributed by using 3 "Kyoryu" monsters, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation. If this card is Tributed while in the hand: You can draw 2 cards, then discard 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Doom Kyoryu, Devastation Crusher" once per turn.

2700/2000

Extra Deck Monsters:

Elemental Kyoryu, Final Fossilizer

Dinosaur/DARK/Synchro

Level 9

1 Dinosaur Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner Dinosaur monsters

This card gains Attributes based on the Synchro Materials used for its Synchro Summon. Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects while you control a Tribute Summoned Dinosaur monster. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 other Dinosaur monster in your hand or field; this card gains that monster's Attribute and 300 ATK and DEF. If this Synchro Summoned card is sent to the GY: You can add other Dinosaur monsters from your GY to your hand with different Attributes up to the number of Attributes this card had on the field.

2700/2700

Spells/Traps:

Land of the Kyoryu

Field Spell

During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "Kyoryu" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn). Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Kyoryu" monster in your hand or field; place 1 Kyoryu Counter on this card. You can remove Kyoryu Counters from your field to activate these effects.

● 1 Counter: All "Kyoryu" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF until the end of the next turn.

● 2 Counters: Draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Land of the Kyoryu" up to twice per turn.

● 3 Counters: Until the end of your next turn, you can Normal Summon Dinosaur monsters without Tributing.

Walk the Kyoryu

Normal Spell

If you control no monsters: Tribute 1 "Kyoryu" monster in your hand; Special Summon 1 "Kyoryu" monster from your hand or Deck, but it is destroyed during the End Phase. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 "Kyoryu" card you can place a Kyoryu Counter on; place 1 Kyoryu Counter on that target.

Kyoryu Fossil

Equip Spell

Activate this card by targeting 1 "Kyoryu" monster in your GY; Special Summon it and equip it with this card. Its Level is lowered by the number of monsters you control or in your GY with the same name as as it. Once per turn, during the End Phase, remove 1 Kyoryu Counter from your field or destroy this card. If this card leaves the field, destroy the equipped monster. If this card is sent to the GY: You can remove 2 Kyoryu Counter from your field; add this card to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Kyoryu Fossil" per turn.

Elements of Kyoryu

Continuous Spell

Once per turn: You can shuffle 1 Dinosaur monster from your hand into your Deck, then add 1 "Kyoryu" monster with a different Attribute from your Deck to your hand. Each time a "Kyoryu" monster in your hand is Tributed, place 1 Kyoryu Counter on this card for each. If a "Kyoryu" monster(s) would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Kyoryu Counter from this card for each monster instead.

Age of the Kyoryu

Continuous Trap

When this card is activated: You can target 1 "Kyoryu" monster in your GY; Special Summon that target, but its ATK and DEF are halved. Each time a "Kyoryu" monster on your field is Tributed, place 1 Kyoryu Counter on this card for each. Once per opponent's turn: You can remove 2 Kyoryu Counters from your field; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 Dinosaur monster.

The Kyoryu Period

Continuous Trap

You can use other "Kyoryu" Spells/Traps you control or in your hand as Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a "Kyoryo" monster. Each time a "Kyoryu" Spell/Trap is Tributed, place 1 Kyoryu Counter on this card for each. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Kyoryu Counter from your field; add 1 "Kyoryu" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Interesting mechanic in regards to the one extra Tribute in order to Summon monsters from the hand; makes Tribute Summoning interesting again. Interesting idea to also have them have effects that trigger in the hand, especially with cards like Devastation to provide draw power, the general counter placement...and SSing from the hand. Yeah, a little out of place considering the monsters are COMPLETELY inactive once out of the hand, but they probably can Xyz Summon, and the Tuner helps for L9 plus, I guess? Ah well, Konami likes slapping on semi-supporting effects, so why not. Storm Starter isn't bad, mind you, but it would probably only see use in an ED centered version of the archetype, rather than pure. Counters are cool, I guess, even though Kaiju have them. Not quite sure why you have them on these Dinos, considering...hand, but you do have quite a few S/T that stay face-up, so it still works. Only real concern is that if you draw 4 Kyoryu monsters, including one of the bosses, that's an immediate half-field wipe, but the different Attribute restriction limits that, methinks. Would've liked to see some more Normal Summon support outside of the S/T, but Terraforming can easily search the field.

Speaking of the support, Walk the Kyoryu, despite winning 100000 points for the reference, is a bit annoying with the effect negation. Most of the monsters only have simple supporting effects while on the field, which is one of the reasons you'll probably want to actually get out a monster. It's not like they're active on the field, anyway. All it really does is provide a little more field advantage by immediately triggering one of the Kyoryu in your hand. Counter bonus is nice, I guess. 3 counter effect on the field could be nice, but why would I want to Summon them without Tributing? It's basically like Walk the Kyroryu, as all of the monster's effects activate when Tribute Summoned, not Normal Summoned :( and I don't even get to Tribute the monsters in my hand to almost keep the chain going. Considering how much you are relying on Tribute Summoning, outside of the Trap and the field, there's not that much support for it; indeed, quite a few cards seem to ignore it. It doesn't have the speed that Summoning from the deck can give it, as 90% of the archetype's plays are in the hand. As such, searching is a much bigger need in the archetype rather than SSing, and to a lesser extent, so is NSing.

It's not a very fast archetype. I like the mechanics, but don't really see much flavour other than that, except for Dinos lol. The monsters set up decently, but the S/T don't really fill the holes in regards to swarming and hand advantage that the archetype really needs, as said monsters are almost completely inactive outside of the hand. I would suggest adding a bunch of searching with restrictions...like you cannot SS monsters this turn, or something. Add a monster to your hand, then immediately Tribute it. Play around with ideas. You'll get somewhere.

Interesting mechanic in regards to the one extra Tribute in order to Summon monsters from the hand; makes Tribute Summoning interesting again. Interesting idea to also have them have effects that trigger in the hand, especially with cards like Devastation to provide draw power, the general counter placement...and SSing from the hand. Yeah, a little out of place considering the monsters are COMPLETELY inactive once out of the hand, but they probably can Xyz Summon, and the Tuner helps for L9 plus, I guess? Ah well, Konami likes slapping on semi-supporting effects, so why not. Storm Starter isn't bad, mind you, but it would probably only see use in an ED centered version of the archetype, rather than pure. Counters are cool, I guess, even though Kaiju have them. Not quite sure why you have them on these Dinos, considering...hand, but you do have quite a few S/T that stay face-up, so it still works. Only real concern is that if you draw 4 Kyoryu monsters, including one of the bosses, that's an immediate half-field wipe, but the different Attribute restriction limits that, methinks. Would've liked to see some more Normal Summon support outside of the S/T, but Terraforming can easily search the field.

Speaking of the support, Walk the Kyoryu, despite winning 100000 points for the reference, is a bit annoying with the effect negation. Most of the monsters only have simple supporting effects while on the field, which is one of the reasons you'll probably want to actually get out a monster. It's not like they're active on the field, anyway. All it really does is provide a little more field advantage by immediately triggering one of the Kyoryu in your hand. Counter bonus is nice, I guess. 3 counter effect on the field could be nice, but why would I want to Summon them without Tributing? It's basically like Walk the Kyroryu, as all of the monster's effects activate when Tribute Summoned, not Normal Summoned :( and I don't even get to Tribute the monsters in my hand to almost keep the chain going. Considering how much you are relying on Tribute Summoning, outside of the Trap and the field, there's not that much support for it; indeed, quite a few cards seem to ignore it. It doesn't have the speed that Summoning from the deck can give it, as 90% of the archetype's plays are in the hand. As such, searching is a much bigger need in the archetype rather than SSing, and to a lesser extent, so is NSing.

It's not a very fast archetype. I like the mechanics, but don't really see much flavour other than that, except for Dinos lol. The monsters set up decently, but the S/T don't really fill the holes in regards to swarming and hand advantage that the archetype really needs, as said monsters are almost completely inactive outside of the hand. I would suggest adding a bunch of searching with restrictions...like you cannot SS monsters this turn, or something. Add a monster to your hand, then immediately Tribute it. Play around with ideas. You'll get somewhere.

They are not intended to have more low Level monsters, that is to balance their hand Tribute mechanic as well, since that could easily become cheap if not being careful.

You want to not Tribute Summon them to get more monsters on the board without using too many resources, since you get to do that for 3 turns total, if you use you Age to do it in the opponent's turn, that helps with your resources quite a bit and provides plenty of monsters for the win.

I want you to also consider the amount of Dinosaur support that these can take advantage of, I tried making them able to use other Dinosaurs as much as possible here. If course, Tribute Summon Decks always struggle with the hand, and I have some more ideas coming up.

They are not intended to have more low Level monsters, that is to balance their hand Tribute mechanic as well, since that could easily become cheap if not being careful.

Did I say that they needed more low Level monsters? Can't see it in my post. If I did, I was wrong. The archetype is fast enough as it is, for want of a better term.

I don't really see how they have speed, as...well... they don't really have a win condition. They're not hard to get rid of, they don't have that many means of removal outside the big bosses, and all the S/T really do is provide direct support, rather than an offensive means. Not really seeing what they're aiming to do, other than be good at Tribute Summoning.

Yes, Dinosaur support is a thing, but again, hand advantage. You're going to have to work even harder than with Monarchs because these guys eat up your hand even faster to properly use them.

Archived