Angelarium - My Fairy-type archetype archive

Echo27

Okay, so I decided to make ALL of the angels into yugioh cards. It's quite a task, so I will post each sub-archetype in a group on this page.

First archetype: 'Emnation' angels

The first archetype consists of 9 Main Deck monsters, each with effects that activate when they are Summoned, and effects that trigger when they leave the field. They are all Level 4 Light Fairy type monsters, and the focus is to bring out multiple copies to bring out one of their large XYZ boss monsters (they have 2) and control the board. The main strategy is to Special Summon 'Emnation' monsters from the Deck, then return them to the Deck. This activates both of their effects, which can lead to rather easy Rank 4 spamming. (However with Links it is harder to do this, and I made their boss monsters with that in mind). The 2 boss monsters, Ein Soph the Infinite, and Da'at the Emptiness are generic Rank 4 monsters, however their effects are only available when you use 'Emnation' monsters to summon them. For each of them, you can use anywhere from 2 to 5 monsters for their summon and they gain effects based on how many 'Emnation' monsters you used. Anyway, here are the cards:

bf1B8Pz.jpg

Binah, Emnation of Knowledge

The idea of this card was to give you card advantage, but punish you for running non-Fairy type monsters (such as most hand traps). The second effect replaces itself (which is present on a lot of these cards)

Tt6hpMo.jpg

Chokhmah, Emnation of Wisdom

It's a gamble effect that can sometimes net you lots of profit and trigger your Emnation monster effects. The replacement effect is here on this one too. (it is crucial in some of the spam combos)

RHAVJX9.jpg

Keter, Emnation of the Crown

This guy is what makes the deck able to summon lots of monsters consistently, but is also able to activate any Emnation monster's utility effects, which is pretty insane. It's also got the same replacement effect.

U2GR16b.jpg

Hod, Emnation of Submission

This card has a less powerful on summon effect, (but still good) and has an additional effect when it summons an 'Emnation' monster from the deck from it's replacement effect. 

*Now I look at it, I forgot to add the clause "except 'Hod, Emnation of Submission'" to the replacement effect. Whoops.

bvk0dq1.jpg

This card is effectively a slower version of Keter. It requires your LP to be higher than your opponent, and makes you pay the difference to bring out a fairy from your deck. The pros of this card though are that the fairy stays on the field, and can attack.

The second effect gives you a potential +1 (if you bring out an Emnation with a +1 effect), and returns it to your hand instead of the Deck. It is also notable that if you don't summon an Emnation with this effect, it stays on the field.

* Also forgot the fact that this card can summon itself from both it's effects. It's not supposed to do that.

We7yRGY.jpg

This card can be used at the end of a spam combo to give you tons of LP. It also allows the usage of Ancient Leaf for extra draw power in the deck, effectively a Pot of Greed. The second effect is also good as 'Emnation' monsters aren't particularly strong, so getting 2000 LP as a bonus is good.

* how many times am I going to forget to make it so that these guys can't summon themselves? it really isn't supposed to happen

d8fjuGK.jpg

This card is sort of weak in the deck, but if you summon this on the first turn, you can get this effect for free, even though you are probably going to summon like 8 monsters anyway. The second effect is really powerful though, locking your opponent out of special summons from the hand is pretty good. It also protects your monsters from kaijus, as they cannot be special summoned from the hand. 

*It can't summon itself using it's second effect. I forgot to put that clause there.

nJXcZ3P.jpg

The idea of this card was to spend the LP you gained from Endurance to burn your opponent for the same amount. However, I think it's possible to FTK with this card, so I will put a hard once per turn on both effects. It also shouldn't be able to summon itself (I know, I'm really sorry .-.)

A1DkRUd.jpg

Malkuth is the last of the main deck cards. You can summon him after you have made your board, forcing your opponent to out him first to be able to play monsters. However, when it leaves the field it locks Summoning down for another turn, so you will have to use a card like Quaking Mirror Force, Book of Eclipse, Swords of Concealing light, Book of Moon, etc to get over this card. (or you could just negate his effects). However, the second effect also stops you from summoning next turn, so it limits your damage to whatever is already on the board.

Now for extra deck!

tEbW3B1.jpg

Ein Soph is the first of the boss monsters. With 5 XYZ material, he gets 3 free negates per turn and up to 8 negates in one turn. The focus of Ein Soph is to lock your opponent out of playing yugioh, kind of like a more consistent, more overpowered Herald of Perfection. (I really should nerf him.)

You also need to use at least 3 'Emnation' monsters to get all his negate effects, and if you use any non Emnation Fairy monsters for his summon, you won't be able to get 8 negates.

RXS6CWQ.jpg

Da'at is basically Emnation archetype's board wipe. With 2650 ATK, it can also deal quite a bit of direct battle damage after it's board wipe (as it doesn't banish himself). Like Ein Soph, it can reach 8 board wipes in one turn, but requires you to use all Emnation monsters for it's Summon. You can't have Ein Soph and Da'at on the field at the same time, using both of their effects to their maximum potential, as if you use Da'at's board wipe effect, you banish Ein Soph.

Anyway, that's it for the Emnation sub-archetype. I'm going to continue on with the 'Seraphim' part next, a sub-archetype that consists of Field Spells that summon Fairy-type Tuners, and Level 9 Fairy cards that can summon themselves while you control no monsters. Please tell me whether to continue nerfing these 'Emnation' cards (I know that they are overpowered) or not, or what can be improved on the idea or card design! Thank you for reading this long post ^^

New member posts first archetype? Sure I'll review

For starters, there's a lot wrong with your Official Card Grammar (or OCG). If you want to get better, Zaziuma made a great post on the subject here: https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/322020-ocgpsct-thread-writing-your-card-properly/ 

For now though I'll correct the common effect amongst the monsters. (It seems you figured out the right wording later but the first half of them are wrong)

Current:

When this card on the field is removed from the field, Special Summon 1 "Emnation" monster from your Deck, except ____ 

Corrected:

When this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Emnation" monster from your Deck, except ___

The original didn't have a ":" or a "You can ___", which made it so the effect couldn't be chained to and it wasn't something you could choose whether or not to do. While you could've intended for the player to be forced to Special Summon, I'm going to bet you didn't.

As for the entire archetype, the art is cool and the idea it is interesting, but the main mechanic of the Deck (the text I corrected above) is a bit stale. It's a very good effect because unless it's almost guaranteed that you get something out of it. This is very much similar to Reborn Tengu, which at the time was an incredible card that could cycle through itself, and was semi-limited for a long time. This effect is so generic to imply that you can run 1 of each of these in your Deck and essentially have 7-8 Reborn Tengus with additional effects that can further the advantage you'd have. You could run several cards that return your monsters to your hand to get mountains of advantage on your opponent for no real reason, and that in itself would break the game. 

I suggest doing something more gimmicky, such as making the new main mechanic:

"When this card leaves the field, except during the Main Phase: You can Special Summon 1 "Emnation" monster from your Deck with a lower Level than this card. You can only Special Summon 1 "this card's name" per turn."

The Deck would be more focused on the Battle Phase as it feels it's supposed to, but more importantly, if you vary the Levels more you have a legitimate limit on what you can Summon in a turn. If you make Yesod and Malkuth Level 1s, it would make a lot of sense why they wouldn't have the same effects.

This would imply a couple things for the archetype. For starters, vary the Levels a bit more, and if you still want Xyz monsters I would add Level changing effects. After that, to support the main mechanic I would add effects that have the monsters Tribute themselves during the Standby Phase, Battle Phase, and End Phase to do a thing. Another of them could during the Battle Phase return 1 of them you control to the hand to Special Summon itself from the GY, but probably at the cost of a discard since you'd go +2 otherwise.

My advice to you: Give your Main Mechanics an inherent weakness that makes designing the cards more interesting, and if possible have the Main Mechanic not have to do with direct card advantage. I still have this problem sometimes and it's annoying. Just recently I made a Scap-Iron archetype that had an interesting idea but they all Special Summoned themselves from the GY in face-down Defense Position and had Flip effects, so it ended up being too OP without much of a way of fixing it.

If you have any other questions about card/game design mechanics, PM me. I'm on at least 5 days of the week so I hope to be responsive.

Alright, I will find some time to remake these and incorporate the new sub-archetype (Seraphim) into it as well. Thanks for your review, and yes, I'm not great at psct, but I will improve over time. Hopefully I can transform the 'Emnation' archetype into something more balanced and fun in the near future. :)

My advice is that you don't make an archetype more than 15 cards. For now, I would focus on making smaller archetypes so you can get more familiar with the different mechanics in the game with different ideas (and so you don't get too attached to one archetype). 15 great cards is better than 30 okish cards anyway. Genex is a prime example, where they tried so hard to make the archetype into something but just made the entire idea clunky, convoluted, and awkward.

Archived