NET NEUTRALITY ALERT! This site and many others are in immediate danger

ABC Gun

Article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi95cb0xM3XAhXD6SYKHZfwCJgQu4gBCCgoATAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theinquirer.net%2Finquirer%2Fnews%2F3021551%2Ffcc-will-reveal-vote-to-repeal-net-neutrality-this-week&usg=AOvVaw327ce2e86XRXJZh8-viT12

​According to several articles out now including the above posted, the FCC is planning to repeal Title II and its protections against network throttling by ISPs, this will also create a tiered internet where certain content is treated for higher download and upload times for better access and others are either slowed or even outright banned by those ISPs.

https://www.fcc.gov/about/contact
​Use this link to contact the FCC and urge them not to repeal Title II.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-gcy6xs3XAhUJbiYKHYYNCGcQFgg1MAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fajitpaifcc%3Flang%3Den&usg=AOvVaw1JC5t7YmZAJwIO3HrHCdbM
​Use this link to contact FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and explain to him why he should not repeal Title II

​There will be a vote in December to decide whether or not to repeal Title II, that's not a lot of time so I ask you to please contact the FCC and Ajit Pai with the above links, and also contact anybody you know on whatever social media site you commonly use to spread this around, thank you.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want no part of this discussion, but considering the importance of this issue, I'm going to pin this thread for a while. That is all.

Thank you, I'm only doing this because it affects the entire internet not just this website. If you can also spread this around to your friends and family.

Don't care to defend it tbh

sheet gets censored already. It just happens on microscopic level with tyranny on individual sites. Google likely has more power than any ISP on it's own

I'm entirely fine letting NN die so others can deal with the bullshit some of us have gone through 

You're being awfully vague there.

You're being awfully vague there.

Microscopic censorship = twitter taking away blue check marks from political views they dislike, FB going after "fake news," or positive microscopic censorship like twitter and gmail boosting certain viewpts say NYT

Macroscopic censorship = ISP slowing down a site they dislike for x or y reasons

We live under the first, it just tends to hit harder against a certain type of person. I'm ok with letting others deal with #2 so they get a feel of what it's like to be me

I'm being vague because I don't wanna point fingers

Personally I want the Fed Gov to nationalize the internet and force 1A rights all over so that you can't stop people from saying x or y cause it's offensive or w/e, but if the way to get there is to break people's balls with a NN repeal, I'm fine with it

Google likely has more power than any ISP on it's own

​Google is literally 4 times larger than Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon combined, and they are trying to become an ISP.

But why is it in Misc?

This post doesn't fall under any other category on this site, I certainly can't post this in Advanced Card Design.

​Please spread the word to everyone you know offline and online, thank you.

​Google is literally 4 times larger than Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon combined, and they are trying to become an ISP.

This post doesn't fall under any other category on this site, I certainly can't post this in Advanced Card Design.

​Please spread the word to everyone you know offline and online, thank you.

I'm aware, the google suggestions being manipulated, which they did all through the election cycle is massive censorship on it's own

That's the sorta sheet people like me (conservatives) have to put up with daily on social media sites. Enjoy what it feels like I guess. After you've experienced it a bit, we get get down to nationalizing the internet and forcing all sites to be 1A compliant 

For things to get better, it needs to hit rock bottom. 

​This post doesn't fall under any other category on this site, I certainly can't post this in Advanced Card Design.

Normally, people would post this kind of topic in General, but okiey.

But, like CowCow said, this will get more attention since this is in Misc. (Or maybe not, cuz I don't notice pinned topics and not sure if others do.)

Don't care to defend it tbh

sheet gets censored already. It just happens on microscopic level with tyranny on individual sites. Google likely has more power than any ISP on it's own

I'm entirely fine letting NN die so others can deal with the bullshit some of us have gone through

This seems to prioritize some form of vengeance, essentially punishing people so they would have to "deal with" your own experience, so you wouldn't be alone in that experience. It's not about building up yourself, other people, or even policies. It's just tearing people down and encouraging destructive mentalities, encouraging the "tyranny" you described on more than a microscopic level.

Basically, "If I get censored, then so should everyone else."

Microscopic censorship = twitter taking away blue check marks from political views they dislike, FB going after "fake news," or positive microscopic censorship like twitter and gmail boosting certain viewpts say NYT

Macroscopic censorship = ISP slowing down a site they dislike for x or y reasons

We live under the first, it just tends to hit harder against a certain type of person. I'm ok with letting others deal with #2 so they get a feel of what it's like to be me

Personally I want the Fed Gov to nationalize the internet and force 1A rights all over so that you can't stop people from saying x or y cause it's offensive or w/e, but if the way to get there is to break people's balls with a NN repeal, I'm fine with it

"Political views they dislike" is a gross oversimplification of why social media administrators want to avoid granting a platform who encourage harassment.

Again, the approach you're suggesting basically amounts to "Give them a test of their own medicine." It's not very practical, and is motivated more by your feelings and vendettas, rather than looking at what would actually be beneficial to a wider populace.

I'm not sure how the Federal Government to enforce First Amendment rights when you're also asking for other people to have their freedom of speech taken away, just to "get even" with them.

This seems to prioritize some form of vengeance, essentially punishing people so they would have to "deal with" your own experience, so you wouldn't be alone in that experience. It's not about building up yourself, other people, or even policies. It's just tearing people down and encouraging destructive mentalities, encouraging the "tyranny" you described on more than a microscopic level.

Basically, "If I get censored, then so should everyone else."

"Political views they dislike" is a gross oversimplification of why social media administrators want to avoid granting a platform who encourage harassment.

Again, the approach you're suggesting basically amounts to "Give them a test of their own medicine." It's not very practical, and is motivated more by your feelings and vendettas, rather than looking at what would actually be beneficial to a wider populace.

I'm not sure how the Federal Government to enforce First Amendment rights when you're also asking for other people to have their freedom of speech taken away, just to "get even" with them.

Right now it's very one sided, if both sides end up experiencing the hailstorm that comes form private moderation of the internet we may get close to having the gov step in and fix it

It's like going cold turkey to get better.

Half this country doesn't get sheet on by corporate tyranny because silicon valley is in a very liberal bay area. Once Libs realize that they just got lucky with the firms being in their backyard they'll realize you can't trust private firms private interests to moderate speech.

At that point we'll have bipartisan power to re-nationalize the internet

I don't actually care to punish anyone, if we can nationalize the internet today, I'd be down, my point is things need to get worse before they'll get better 

I don't agree with this, there's been basically like 10 days of any sort of throttling in the 20 years of the internet before NN, being able to choose your package is almost exclusively good(you currently just buy all the packages, so even in NN you can just buy all the packages and get functionally no changes).

So basically, because something you don’t like happens to you, you aren’t interested in keeping it from getting worse...out of spite?

Net Neutrality is about more than throttling. Not only can net providers slow certain speeds, but certain websites will become completely inaccessible in any way, shape, or form. Prices for internet usage will also skyrocket because each individual plan for certain websites costs as much as any one plan right now.

I don’t think you understand that allowing net companies to do whatever they want has much more gravity than Twitter not encouraging toxicity

Anyway, I don’t think we as members of society have much to sway the vote either way. I’ve donated and signed a petition a while back (over the summer) and I’m reluctant to donate more since there’s so much fear mongering around these laws.

So basically, because something you don’t like happens to you, you aren’t interested in keeping it from getting worse...out of spite?

Net Neutrality is about more than throttling. Not only can net providers slow certain speeds, but certain websites will become completely inaccessible in any way, shape, or form. Prices for internet usage will also skyrocket because each individual plan for certain websites costs as much as any one plan right now.

I don’t think you understand that allowing net companies to do whatever they want has much more gravity than Twitter not encouraging toxicity

Anyway, I don’t think we as members of society have much to sway the vote either way. I’ve donated and signed a petition a while back (over the summer) and I’m reluctant to donate more since there’s so much fear mongering around these laws.

Less spite, I'd love people like you to stop being so dismissive for starters. Maybe being in my shoes will help with that?

Good, corporate tyranny sucks. People will finally realize how important 1A on the internet should be, and maybe more people will start defending it always instead of just when convenient for their view pts 

You won't have any funking viewpoints if everything is bottled and controlled.  Everything you say will be scrutinized further, not less.  ISP's will decide whether or not they like your facebook status today, or whether or not any political opinion you have affects their pockets.  So unless you're directly benefitting from these pigs getting more money in their pockets, cut your bullshit and keep the internet free.  Or you can go hide and keep blaming "those dern libs".

I don't give a funk what anyone's political view is.  Why should I have to pay 9.99 an hour to access a children's card game forum board?  Is it because YCM isn't conservative enough?  

You act like this ain't about vengeance, but that's exactly what it is.  Petty, nonsensical, oversimplified vengeance.  Get over it.

I'm sorry if this post lead to any unnecessary

You won't have any f***ing viewpoints if everything is bottled and controlled.  Everything you say will be scrutinized further, not less.  ISP's will decide whether or not they like your facebook status today, or whether or not any political opinion you have affects their pockets.  So unless you're directly benefitting from these pigs getting more money in their pockets, cut your bullshit and keep the internet free.  Or you can go hide and keep blaming "those dern libs".

I don't give a f*** what anyone's political view is.  Why should I have to pay 9.99 an hour to access a children's card game forum board?  Is it because YCM isn't conservative enough?  

You act like this ain't about vengeance, but that's exactly what it is.  Petty, nonsensical, oversimplified vengeance.  Get over it.

Its not really about vengeance or whether or not your ISP cares about your political opinion, its about total control of internet access and consolidation of the entire entertainment industry as well as making massive profits at every opportunity possible. When Title II was first enforced by the FCC lead by Tom Wheeler, it was because big ISPs had been putting absurdly large amounts of access charges on their customers' internet bills and it had to be curbed; more importantly, the biggest reason they want the Title II repeal is because right now and for the past 5 or 6 years each major ISP (Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon) have been hemorrhaging money due to people "cutting the cord" and not paying $300+ a month for TV services.

​As far as them outright censoring everyone on the internet, Google is doing a better job than they could ever do along with Twitter and Facebook, but they will do so on occasion and that does worry me a lot. But for them to do it to every, single person they disagree with politically, they would literally go bankrupt after enough people online express outrage and hatred towards those ISPs and thus lowering their stock values and causing concern among their investors who could pull their investments. What really needs to happen is congress has to pass a law that would be the entirety of Title II with a few extra provisions to protect consumers from network throttling and price gouging, but until that happens were stuck with a now worthless FCC and the only thing we can do is as I first stated in this post and contact your state reps. and Ajit Pai himself and tell them not to go through with this, if enough people speak out then we might just be able to ink out a win, but right now I don't know.

You won't have any funking viewpoints if everything is bottled and controlled.  Everything you say will be scrutinized further, not less.  ISP's will decide whether or not they like your facebook status today, or whether or not any political opinion you have affects their pockets.  So unless you're directly benefitting from these pigs getting more money in their pockets, cut your bullshit and keep the internet free.  Or you can go hide and keep blaming "those dern libs".

I don't give a funk what anyone's political view is.  Why should I have to pay 9.99 an hour to access a children's card game forum board?  Is it because YCM isn't conservative enough?  

YCM has been here since atleast 2006

NN came into effect in mid 2015

When was I paying $9 to access the YCM. You're fear mongering

It's not about vengeance cause I think NN is fair, I just think stopping at sites and not going deeper is unfair. Ok ISPs can do that. Guess what, YCM, FB, Reddit, Google ALREADY do that. Sometimes it's in the left's favor, other times not. We all put up with it don't we?

Google and FB get over 1B views easily. That's bigger than some ISP's range. There is no choice but to nationalize the internet. For a second, don't be emotional and read what I'm actually suggesting...

Archived