Desperate Deals [Written]

VCR_CAT

Going to expand on an idea I had in the past, and do somethin' with it!

[spoiler=Spells]

Desperate Loan from the Beast
Normal Spell
Banish this card, and if you do, draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 "Desperate Loan from the Beast" per turn. If this card would be added to your hand, except by drawing it, banish it instead. Once per turn, during each Standby Phase, while this card is banished: Roll a six-sided die and apply the result.
1: Return this banished card to the GY. 2: Your opponent gains 700 LP.
3: You lose 700 LP. 4: For the rest of this turn, face-up monsters in your possession lose 700 ATK/DEF.
5: For the rest of this turn, face-up monsters in your opponent's possession gain 700 ATK/DEF.
6: Your opponent banishes 2 cards from your GY.
If you roll a 6 with a banished "the Beast" card's effect 3 times while this card is banished, you lose the duel.

Mournful Lament for the Beast
Normal Spell
Target 1 monster in either GY; banish this card, and if you do, Special Summon that target. You can only activate 1 "Mournful Lament for the Beast" per turn. If this card would be added to your hand, except by drawing it, banish it instead. Once per turn, during each Standby Phase, while this card is banished: Roll a six-sided die and apply the result.
3: You lose 700 LP. 4: For the rest of this turn, face-up monsters in your possession lose 700 ATK/DEF.
5: For the rest of this turn, face-up monsters in your opponent's possession gain 700 ATK/DEF.
If you roll a 6 with a banished "the Beast" card's effect 3 times while this card is banished, you lose the duel.

Faustian Bargain with the Beast
Normal Spell
Tribute 1 monster you control; banish this card, and if you do, Special Summon 1 monster from your Extra Deck with the same Level/Rank as the Tributed monster. You can only activate 1 "Faustian Bargian with the Beast" per turn. If this card would be added to your hand, except by drawing it, banish it instead. Once per turn, during each Standby Phase, while this card is banished: Roll a six-sided die and apply the result.
If you roll a 6 with a banished "the Beast" Spell's effect 3 times while this card is banished, you lose the duel.

[spoiler=Monsters]

Chief Collector for the Beast
DARK - Level 8
Fiend / Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its effects. During the End Phase, while your opponent has 3 or more banished "the Beast" Spells (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Chief Collector for the Beast" once per turn. This card gains 100 ATK/DEF for each monster in the Graveyards. When the effect of a "the Beast" Spell is activated; this card gains 700 ATK/DEF.
ATK 3000 / DEF 3000

Shadow of the Beast's Greed
DARK - Level 8
Fiend / Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its effect. While you have 3 banished "the Beast" Spells with different names, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, Deck, or GY. You can only control 1 "Shadow of the Beast's Greed". Unaffected by other card effects. If a banished "the Beast" Spell's effect is activated; negate its effect, and if you do, this card gains 600 ATK/DEF.
ATK 3000 / DEF 3000

Going with the original idea, each of the spells are taking cards that have been banned for some time and retooling them to work with an effect that's heavily inspired by the Curse mechanic from Enter the Gungeon (using abnormally powerful items increases your curse which increases the overall challenge of your run). The intended lore of each being that they're Faustian bargains of some sort, with Shadow of the Beast's Greed representing one who's been corrupted by their deals to a point that they forego payment, and Collector being a more obvious one.

Also to note, the ATK/DEF loss/gain applies to all monsters that are summoned during that turn as well. The other concept with the downsides is that using 1 may not necessarily be terribly bad (but will definitely affect your game), but using more than that could really come back to bite you in the butt.

Absolutely the monsters are memes, but y'know, sometimes you just wanna design memes.

During the Standby Phase:

1 Get rejected by the Beast

2 +700 for the opponent

3 +700 for you

4 -700 ATK/DEF

5 -700 ATK/DEF for your opponent's monsters

6 Your opponent banishes 2 cards from your GY.

Get the evil number, lose the Duel. I admit this is a wonderful touch.

But basically the effects from 2 to 5 do nothing, I mean, a few LP changes, some ATK boost... The first effect is, well, disruptive for the strategy and I don't get the 6th one. It's supposed to help you recycle the Spells? He can just choose not to banish those Spells. 

Desperate Loan from the Beast

Draw 2. Hard OPT. Well, I get the idea, but this can be used as a free Pot of Greed. I'd change it to "draw 1 card", but even with that, it would be a better Upstart Goblin. I don't know, free drawing. If you want to keep the concept, you have to nerf it.

Mournful Lament for the Beast

Monster Reborn. Same as Loan. I don't get it, are the Spells supposed to be somehow punishing, or are they the way you get to Summon the boss monster? Because it looks like if you draw the 3 Spells, you can activate their 3 "broken" (banned) effects, then Special Summon from the Deck a 3k immune beater.

Faustian Bargain with the Beast

Metamorphosis, but with Ranks added. I never felt like Metamorphosis was a broken card (well, except for some combos), so this is okay. Definitely underpowered if compared to the others.

Chief Collector for the Beast

Can only be Special Summoned from hand, Deck or GY during the End Phase if the opponent has at least 3 Beast Spells. +100 ATK/DEF for each monster in the GYs. Each time the effect of a Beast Spell is activated, +700 ATK/DEF. Wait. While the opponent has the cards? Is this a way to win a mirror match? Honestly, I don't like the Summoning condition. A card that Special Summons itself from the Deck?

Shadow of the Beast's Greed

Special Summonable from hand, Deck or GY if you have the 3 Beast Spells. Unaffected by card effects. Negate the Beasts, and if you do, +600 ATK/DEF. See, this is the opposite of Chief. You'll always get the 3 cards, and that means a free beater with a lot of protection that increases its ATK by 1800 during each Standby Phase.

Overall, good concept, but not well executed. The dice rolls don't add anything really punishing - except losing the Duel a few times, but that can be avoided by getting some Ones. Also, it looks like using the Spells is a way to get Shadow, an easily Summonable free monster, that can Summons itself from the GY if destroyed.

Overall, good concept, but not well executed. The dice rolls don't add anything really punishing - except losing the Duel a few times, but that can be avoided by getting some Ones. Also, it looks like using the Spells is a way to get Shadow, an easily Summonable free monster, that can Summons itself from the GY if destroyed.

I think you're underestimating the impact that a -700 on your monsters for the duration of an entire turn, or a +700 on your opponent's monsters can have. The numbers were decided to scale the impact using one card vs. using two cards vs. using three cards can have. A difference of 700 means a 2500 beater becomes 1800, or a 2500 beater becomes 3200. Think for a moment what sort of effect this is going to have on a turn and how it can change what a player does. Of course it's not huge, but in the reality of a match, a difference of 700 on stats can make a huge difference in what happens to a player's field.

Collector is an additional threat that can happen to a player, if the opponent has one sided or decides to run one (depending, of course, on the use of the cards in general). It's intentional that they're both sort of semi-immortal monsters, but that Collector will typically win that battle almost every time. They're both, honestly, meant to be meme monsters for flavor and not necessarily competitive use.

For the cards themselves, calling it simply an Upstart Goblin is a bit of an exageration. I chose to do an LP impact because, as far as dice effects go, there should be some that are worse than others to add more of a luck factor. I feel like the stat modification is in a good place, though the LP ones can either be modified to make their impact more significant, or changed to stronger effects (though I am hesitant to do that).

Finally, I do feel you are exaggerating the chances of having drawn the three different cards, being able to use them and use them successfully, and then getting the one monster out. On top of a player actually running all of that to get it going.

Archived