Discussing The Steven Universe Fandom

SkaterTheDJWolf

Every mainstream fandom has its shitty people. Whether its Steven Universe, Bronies, Furries, Undertale, Rick and Morty, Sonic or whatever else you can think of, theres always that minority that gets more attention than the sane majority and the fandom experiences some kind of backlash from people who are looking on the outside and want nothing to do with it or are sick of seeing it everywhere.

My only major issue with the Steven Universe fandom overlaps with my issues with the DreamWorks fandom, and there are certainly people who belong to both fandoms. Some fandoms seem to want "their" fandom to be the pure one, and as Mae. pointed out, every mainstream fandom has shitty people. The issue with the Steven Universe fandom is that they push this narrative of "But not us!" They are the exception.

I've heard that some of the fans send death threats, but I don't quite know the details. Mostly I'm just tired of the Steven Universe fandom presenting itself as "better" than anyone else.

Well, one of the largest issues was someone who drew Rose Quartz thin(ner), and the outcry was... well, how do I put it? Like lighting a match after a massive gas leak, essentially. Things exploded, people sent threats to the artist and harassed them to the point that the people behind the show itself had to speak up. And the fandom then chewed them out as well. That's part of the reason why there is detest for the SU fanbase Cow.

And I agree, there are a tonne of sweet song covers, especially since Stronger Than You came out.

Hey man, I sat outside a McDonald's for 9 hours to get sauce...SU fans are bad, but there are worse

I think it would be more fair to point at McDonalds for that failure considering that they were smart enough to hype up re-releasing a meme sauce and decided that it would be a great idea to test run it for only one day with a limited supply at only participating restaurants. Sure there were a few dumbasses in the Rick and Morty fandom who didnt really help it but the blame is much more on McDs for doing a terrible job at managing this.

Basically any fandom that is popular enough will gain a cancerous side to its fandom. The only reason we hear about the Steven Universe or Undertale fandom a lot more than the cringey side of, let's say, the Zelda fandom, is that

A) There is a lot more room for said people, especially in regards to shipping, OCs and fanfics, creating and endless cycle further increasing the divide within the fandom.

B) There are reasons to hate the fans, and the internet will much more easily hate something than like it.

As such, the bad aspects of that fandom will be put into the spotlight, causing more hate, which causes more knowledge, more spreading and then more hate etc. creating more room for those coming in from the "bad" aspects of other fandoms, and it just repeats. Steven Universe seems to have stabilized a little at not too much hate, but another incident or two could prevent any real fans from being treated seriously.

Archived