The Nyx Avatar

RCFctoe.jpg

DARK

Rank 1

Zombie/Xyz/Effect

ATK:?

DEF:0

2 Level 1 monsters

The original ATK of this card is equal to the number of LIGHT and DARK monsters in your Graveyard x 300. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard. If the card sent is a LIGHT or DARK monster: You can send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard. If this card is destroyed: You can pay 1000 Life Points; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, and if you do, you can attach 1 card from your Graveyard to this card as an Xyz Material. You can only activate this effect of "Apostle of Demise" once per turn.

Damn dude, that artwork is sexy... really works with the flavor of the card as a whole. The Xyz cost is simple, although I'm not sure what deck this specifically caters to since it requires Level 1 LIGHT and/or DARK and is a Zombie, but then again there's a lot of stuff I've missed in the recent years so I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it works.

First effect is cool, giving it the ability to work in a ton of LIGHT or DARK archetypes as a late game option that can be super fed in the right decks (and we all know of some archetypes that aren't afraid to mill their monsters). I really appreciate how the second and third effects work in tandem with the first effect, too.

Second effect is a reason to get more monsters into your GY to buff the first effect, rewarding you for milling the right monster, which ends up benefiting you double time as you get an ATK buff AND you send an opponent's monster to the GY. I'd be less wary of this effect if it was the only one, but coupled with everything else, the only tweak I can suggest here is making the effect target... just feels a bit more balanced that way.

Third effect is always welcomed as monsters like this one always enjoy some type of revival effect (i.e. KotSS), however I think some other cards and their restrictions would have some words with this guy and his ability to revive on any form of destruction (KotSS, Revival Jam), not to mention he can reload his second effect to make himself potentially even stronger. I'd make it upon either battle or card effect destruction, your choice, but not both.

Awesome card design and flavor, just needs a little tweaking imo to hit the sweet spot of an appropriate balance. Kudos!

Archived