Let's Fix the Card Maker!

Tinkerer

I am literally just making this thread as a means of gathering together anyone who has any skills in programming who would be able to help with implementing the newer mechanics to this website.

I really like the idea that's been spread around about programming it off-site.  That said, I have been looking around for possible collaborative programming websites.  "Collabedit" seems like it could possibly be a good one (the cardmaker is programmed in java, right?), but I'm sure if we actually want to go forward with this, we could find something else that could possibly fit our needs better.

I admit, I know very little in java, but I do prefer for us to move forward with something than simply running in circles.  If we program a thing to be implemented, we can present it to YCMaker as something to slot in rather than bothering him with actually having to fix everything himself.

If you have programming ability, please just comment and let me know if you'd be willing to help.  Further, if you don't program, you can still help support through looking around for possible collaborative programming sites and such, and also making suggestions/maybe drawing out a possible format for the finished product.

Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't evil mention he's seen the coding, but didn't want to mess with it? A great first start would be for a super to copy the coding in a format where we can view it (make this thread private if we don't want randos from other sites to see it)

If that was brought up, and people want to look at it, I'm sure someone could make a google doc or something just so we can see the program itself.  That does appear to be a strong start so we would know what we were dealing with before people just blindly commit to something.

Is there a Super that would be willing to help do this to start with?

If that was brought up, and people want to look at it, I'm sure someone could make a google doc or something just so we can see the program itself.  That does appear to be a strong start so we would know what we were dealing with before people just blindly commit to something.

Is there a Super that would be willing to help do this to start with?

Sakura mentioned he can't see it. We'd have to ask Evil or Night how they got into the card maker program

We should keep it private if we do get the coding tho, it's our main lure, and we shouldn't make it public so other ygo sites can rip it

I have some knowledge of Java, though I can learn other languages as needed to help.

EDIT: I'd like to know that there are two PHP files in particular that we'll need access to: uploadimage.php and createcard.php. The former is linked to the function uploadImage(), which is why we are having the issue with white pictures in certain cards. The latter deals specifically with the cardmaker itself, and the html parts on the cardmaker page inputs into that php file.

At the moment, I'm still trying to figure out how to access the cardmaker coding. I probably do have access to it, but simply a matter of finding where it is located (as there's still stuff that I'm trying to get to). 

If I can get into the code itself, then I would certainly share the info I have with you all. 

===

But either way, we know the cardmaker needs updating and I agree on that. Cardmaker's written in Javascript (and I only had a semester of basic Java in 2015; I probably forgot part of it by now). 

At the moment, I'm still trying to figure out how to access the cardmaker coding. I probably do have access to it, but simply a matter of finding where it is located (as there's still stuff that I'm trying to get to). 

If I can get into the code itself, then I would certainly share the info I have with you all. 

===

But either way, we know the cardmaker needs updating and I agree on that. Cardmaker's written in Javascript (and I only had a semester of basic Java in 2015; I probably forgot part of it by now). 

(1) Evil and Night both mention they found it I think, talking to either of them might help

(2) If you find it, make this thread private, there's no need for watchers to get ahold of coding for our prize gem

I've mentioned this before but we should be careful about poking around with the coding. It's YCMaker's coding and if he doesn't like it being messed with then we might just get shut down. Paranoid, maybe, but I can't help but worry that this'd cause him to "return" in the worst way.

I've mentioned this before but we should be careful about poking around with the coding. It's YCMaker's coding and if he doesn't like it being messed with then we might just get shut down. Paranoid, maybe, but I can't help but worry that this'd cause him to "return" in the worst way.

If we copy the coding, we should be able to try running it elsewhere first

(Has he gotten angry before??) 

Crab Helmet right?

(1) Evil and Night both mention they found it I think, talking to either of them might help

(2) If you find it, make this thread private, there's no need for watchers to get ahold of coding for our prize gem

Or we can just make a members-only forum that we can post this code in (developer's den or something). It's possible.

Night's been inactive lately (in terms of answering PMs as I sent him one about the Look/Feel a while back), but can hope for a response if he's available.

This is the main reason why evilfusion didn't want to make MAJOR edits to the code, and I believe this was said multiple times in the past. 

Granted, we would all like him to get over here and add sheet, but it's up to him if he still cares about the site besides ad revenue. At some point, we'll have to do it ourselves.

If we copy the coding, we should be able to try running it elsewhere first

(Has he gotten angry before??) 

Crab Helmet right?

Back in 2012, yes, but you'd have to ask Flame or one of the ex-mods who were still here at the time. I was not, so cannot answer this question for other times. 

But idea would be to at least test it somewhere; matter of finding a site that can do it (and possibly getting the templates from somewhere). I already have templates up to Series 10 that can be used (including Pendulum/Link; there are some flaws with them, but they are close as you can get).

Or we can just make a members-only forum that we can post this code in (developer's den or something). It's possible.

Night's been inactive lately (in terms of answering PMs as I sent him one about the Look/Feel a while back), but can hope for a response if he's available.

This is the main reason why evilfusion didn't want to make MAJOR edits to the code, and I believe this was said multiple times in the past. 

Granted, we would all like him to get over here and add sheet, but it's up to him if he still cares about the site besides ad revenue. At some point, we'll have to do it ourselves.

Back in 2012, yes, but you'd have to ask Flame or one of the ex-mods who were still here at the time. I was not, so cannot answer this question for other times. 

But idea would be to at least test it somewhere; matter of finding a site that can do it (and possibly getting the templates from somewhere). I already have templates up to Series 10 that can be used (including Pendulum/Link; there are some flaws with them, but they are close as you can get).

The bottom line, as you noted, is we're gonna have to try it on our own at some point in some way. 

We can take abundance of care to test it before trying it on YCM

The bottom line, as you noted, is we're gonna have to try it on our own at some point in some way. 

We can take abundance of care to test it before trying it on YCM

I think I have a place where we can test it. Technically, it isn't fleshed out to be a site yet, but I use it to do my rotating stuff (when they actually wish to cooperate with YCM).

That sounds like it'd be good enough, and I assume the section can be removed once the project itself is underway, right?

I think I have a place where we can test it. Technically, it isn't fleshed out to be a site yet, but I use it to do my rotating stuff (when they actually wish to cooperate with YCM).

Sounds like a plan.  Would that be able to be made available to more than yourself?  It would be good to have people be able to access the test site so we'd be able to catch any bugs more quickly.

Though I don't think making the code open to be worked on by multiple people would yield too many issues (as long as everyone notes their changes and such), I would also strongly recommend at least 1 person who decides to help work on it keep and label backups of the code every day (or every day someone tweaks the code), just in case something happens and we need to go back to an older source of code/the project gets deleted or something drastic.

I just want to also say thank you everyone who's had a mind to help so far!  I know everyone will be busy irl at some point or another, but I truly hope that we can work together and get this done.

Sounds like a plan.  Would that be able to be made available to more than yourself?  It would be good to have people be able to access the test site so we'd be able to catch any bugs more quickly.

Though I don't think making the code open to be worked on by multiple people would yield too many issues (as long as everyone notes their changes and such), I would also strongly recommend at least 1 person who decides to help work on it keep and label backups of the code every day (or every day someone tweaks the code), just in case something happens and we need to go back to an older source of code/the project gets deleted or something drastic.

I just want to also say thank you everyone who's had a mind to help so far!  I know everyone will be busy irl at some point or another, but I truly hope that we can work together and get this done.

Yea, I can give the link, username, and password for the site's control panel. It's through byethost btw.

The larger issue I found with the code was that there were variables being referenced, but nowhere in the code I had access to, were those variables defined, or stored. I think there's another file or folder that contains those variables, that I did not have access to, and they are most likely images, since they involve the format for card types (Normal Monster, Xyz Monster, etc, etc) and card icons (Quick-Play, Continuous, etc).

The larger issue I found with the code was that there were variables being referenced, but nowhere in the code I had access to, were those variables defined, or stored. I think there's another file or folder that contains those variables, that I did not have access to, and they are most likely images, since they involve the format for card types (Normal Monster, Xyz Monster, etc, etc) and card icons (Quick-Play, Continuous, etc).

Yea, code tends to do that. One of my php files that I tried using references images that are hosted elsewhere, so that could pose a huge problem. We do have access to Zextra's templates though, so that is something we could code in ourselves.

Someone please...

I am going to let you know right now that this project is going to take time as we don't have the code yet. Even when we do get the code, it's going to take time implementing and testing it off-site before we get it in. This is all assuming that we can get access at all.

I am going to let you know right now that this project is going to take time as we don't have the code yet. Even when we do get the code, it's going to take time implementing and testing it off-site before we get it in. This is all assuming that we can get access at all.

Evil has access, or atleast did

He even mentioned yesterday that he had a copy of the code that he just trashed a day or so ago. It can be done, it's a matter of asking him how he got access to it

I told Sakura where I accessed the code.

Unfortunately, they're having issues with the section of the ACP that handles the logo, and as luck would have it, the board templates where the code is accessible from.

And no, I don't have the password they're being prompted for. I "regained" access last time because it randomly stopped asking for the password after like 2-3 months of asking for one.

Speaking of which, I took the liberty of taking the HTML code from the card maker page and created a simulated card maker to test the code: http://strikeman.byethost7.com/ycmtest.html

I did it while signed in, hence why it looks like I'm signed in at the top (which I should go about correcting so my cards don't get messed up by accident).

Archived