Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AGM Archetype Design Contest #3! (Trap Phase)

AGM LEGACY

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 09:16 PM
  • Discord:CMEshai#4706

Ummm... is anyone else going to post their cards? Pretty sure you can still post even if you're late. You just get a point reduction.

[background=transparent]Duelist Port Royal (link here):[/background][background=transparent] Will be making cards, archetypes, and hosting tournaments on the Duel-Portal. If you have good ideas, like creating card art, or you would just like to test your own cards in real gameplay on the Duel-Portal, feel free to PM me or contact us on the club page.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,063 posts
    Last Visit Today, 03:31 AM

Ummm... is anyone else going to post their cards? Pretty sure you can still post even if you're late. You just get a point reduction.

Are Striker and I really the only ones that have submitted? o.O"
I thought maybe the others had been sent via PM or something...

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
    Last Visit Today, 04:02 AM
Dova sent his directly to me. Apparently he forgot Eshai was also judging.

Dova

Grades will be a bit late, but Phase 2 is Spells. Minimum of 4, and I recommend that at least one be a Fusion Spell If you're not planning on Contacting it up.
I'm also on DeviantART
I'm in the AGM, as its founder
Oh, and CowCow says I'm a Tyrunt.One of these days I will evolve . . .
But I am a Pokémon of my own

LEc7qUd.png

July's AGM Deck Challenge:
Destruction effects!
PM me for more details on AGM Deck Challenges, for your chance at 1000 Points!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

Sk79LinkXyz can you please notify that you actually turned yours in? Almost thought you didn't until I looked back at your spoiler.

As for your cards you have cards that are Spell/Traps and Extra Deck monsters, so I won't grade those.

[background=transparent]Duelist Port Royal (link here):[/background][background=transparent] Will be making cards, archetypes, and hosting tournaments on the Duel-Portal. If you have good ideas, like creating card art, or you would just like to test your own cards in real gameplay on the Duel-Portal, feel free to PM me or contact us on the club page.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
That post was an "example", not meant for his actual entry.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Destruction effects!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

I mean he didn't send anything else. I'll PM him to see if he just wants to send that so he doesn't have to take the late entry point reduction.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

Alright reviews in. If anyone else ends up getting their cards in late I'll review them too, with of course a penalty for being late (probably 10 points).

Dova 86/100
Sleepy 90/100
Striker 77/100

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,405 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 07:43 AM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova
  • Spouse:Dova

Interesting. Yeah, definitely missed out on the oppurtunity in the creativity aspect, but rather happy with everything else.

Just to confirm, we can only make changes during the last round?

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

I believe you can start making them now, you just can't post them for a new grade for the current phase. Just don't change the original post that we graded. 

I wouldn't post all of your changes until the last phase where it shows the final product.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,405 posts

So, would I have to design my Spell/Trap Cards in light of the flaws displayed here, or are they taken on their own merits assuming their targets aren't so terrible?

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts

That's... actually a good point. Maybe I can get Draconus to change it but maybe not since I'm not in charge and the competition already began.

I would design your cards based on the merits of your edited versions anyway though, and maybe add a few design notes in what the changes of the monsters you've been making have to do with how the Spell/Traps were influenced. In the context of the rules now that should be fine.

My DPR Generics
[/background]

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

Kingdom Hearts is Light!

• Leaderboard Chairman
  • 19,406 posts
    Last Visit Today, 02:12 AM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker

Eshai, about using "...this card's name...", I'd like to point to the "Changes in a nutshell" spoiler in the OP: more specifically "To make for more of a catch-all term, try for "you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn", instead of referring directly to the card's name." I know I'm nitpicking here, but I thought I'd point that out.

Also, it seems I hadn't fully fleshed out the creativity in them changing their types the way they do. I thought the reasoning would have been obvious, but I guess not so I suppose I may have to spell it out eventually. Though strangely enough, this gives me an idea for my Fusions. Hmm...

For Breeze, yea that was a typo; however, your comments did make me think of the order of the effects, so there is that I suppose. For Avalanche, I supposed I tried too hard thinking of a creative effect that dealt with EARTH that I forgot about everything else I was doing. Once again, I make a silly mistake on something. Story of my life. Don't worry, I'll jump back to the drawing board on that one.

Is there anything else I need to say? I don't think so. Oh well, to the drawing board I go.

SkDC0v5.png

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

Kingdom Hearts is Light!

• Leaderboard Chairman
  • 19,406 posts
    Last Visit Today, 02:12 AM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker

Okay, time for a clarifier. Is Phase 2 just Spells or Spells and Traps? Draconus' post starting Phase 2 implies just Spells, which is why I'm asking.

SkDC0v5.png

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • 13,063 posts
    Last Visit Today, 03:31 AM

Okay, time for a clarifier. Is Phase 2 just Spells or Spells and Traps? Draconus' post starting Phase 2 implies just Spells, which is why I'm asking.

I was meaning to ask the same thing xD
along with the deadline for that phase.

I kind of think it's just Spells, because they said 4 weeks, which would mean 4 rounds. My guess is Week 1 = Main Deck Monsters. Week 2 = Spells. Week 3 = Traps. Week 4 = Extra Deck.

Armz Stand Sig
Le Crayon Corner~
Goats
Other sigs

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
Yes, it is just Spells. Sleepy nailed it precisely. Also, during Phase 4, you can edit up to 3 of the cards you made in earlier rounds.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Destruction effects!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,405 posts

Do OCG fixes on a card count that card as a changed card?

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
Yes.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Destruction effects!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • 883 posts
I don't think OCG should count towards the edit of card limit though. Something like that is objective, and for the end product might as well be edited.

Maybe just make it so OCG can't be re-graded for the final. Kinda loses its point if you can edit the cards anyway.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
No, it's a way to make up lost points. It makes logical sense that, if you can make up for mistakes, text corrections can be among them.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Destruction effects!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 4,780 posts
Striker
Literacy: 20/25. This is one of those prompts that requires you read carefully. They need to keep that designation in the Graveyard.
Creativity: 18/25. I know that Gemini with Type changes are a difficult gimmick to work with, and the Attribute changing/paired monsters thing is pretty neat. Still, I'm not seeing much of a defining thematic to the way the effects work or room for a centralized support lineup.
Balance: 18/20. This falls more on the "underwhelming" side, but given how easy it is to trigger destruction effects I feel obligated to give you a lot of room. None of these effects exactly feel like you'd go too far with them, but as easily accessed Level 4s (the AGM even has Flat Level 4 to work with) they do have a lot going for them.
Interactivity: 18/20. Outside of vague destruction themes, there isn't much of a consistent methodology to the archetype that takes advantage of their Types and Attributes changing . . . also, one member shielding the archetype from destruction negates the one point of synergy they had.
OCG: 4/10
"or while face-up on the field" -1
"this card cannot make an attack this turn" -1
"monsters from your Graveyard" -1
"1 monster you control" -1
"return all cards on the field to their respective owner's hands" (you didn't specify, and I don't think you meant to Fiber Jar) -1
"from your hand" -1

68/100 C (145/200 - C-)

Sleepy
Literacy: 20/25. Same problem Striker had.
Creativity: 25/25. All kinds of neat little extras, with effects that range from the unusual to the unique. Go you.
Balance: 15/20. You would have had full marks here, but the problem lies with Primordial Soup Eel. Its Level-lowering isn't a cost, and if you fetch another Gemini with it the cost can be next to nothing (hell, if you grab another copy of Eel, you can literally just R6 arguably for free- entirely for free with AGM cards like Golden Phoenix Dragon). Yeah. Everyone else is okay, though.
Interactivity: 17/20. There's a clear theming in the way you're using the gimmick, relying on Type interactions for interesting spam potential. This is increased greatly by the manner in which you actually make the Types run concurrent to Decks, although I am slightly disappointed that you didn't make it so that they also retained their original Type when they grew, to make the gimmick even stronger.
OCG: 6.5/10
●"This card is treated as a Normal monster" -1
●"name and effect" (you swapped them, I'll be lenient due to its rarity) -0.5
●"If this card is destroyed" -1
●"Deck or Graveyard" -1

83.5/100 - B (173.5/200 - B+)

Dova
Literacy: 25/25. The power of reading, Reading Rainbow!
Creativity: 16/25. I can definitely see the intent for unique mechanic usage, and it's true that this is the most practical application of Gemini we've seen (outside of other AGM-legal archetypes, but that's splitting hairs), but you're not exactly doing anything . . . fun. There's no life here, except for the sweet flavor notes coming from the Egyptian mythology-inspired naming scheme.
Balance: 10/20. Eshai summed it up better than I could. Just . . . what. I'm getting some Genex vibes here- one or two really freaking good members in with all the subpar.
Interactivity: 20/20. Everyone's best bros here. Even the members that aren't very good still mesh with everyone else.
OCG: 7.5/10
That's not how the Gemini clause works -1
"Graveyard" -1
"Winged Beast -0.5

78.5/100 - C+ (164.5/200 - B)

Yes, the cumulative scores will be in parentheses.
Sorry about the lateness.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Destruction effects!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users