A slew of summon mechanics. I was bored.

zepheris

1) AXYZ/DXYZ

Multiple monsters with the same attack/defense, but may be of different levels. The xyz's attack/defence cannot change. Not as an effect, but as part of the mechanic, like links can't be in defense. They otherwise work just like XYZ, and have similar effects dealing with overlays and such. They don't have a atk/def stat, just a A or D stat, depending on the kind of card. When they fight, levels/ranks are used for damage calculation, and battle damage dealt is the level difference X 500. Because of this, the A or D stat goes where the levels would go on a normal card, and the level goes at the bottom, similar to how link monsters represent their link rating. An interesting variation to this would be a card that's half AXYZ and half DXYZ, and can only be summoned when both attack and defense are the same. (What about half synchro half XYZ cards? I'll put that as yet another in this list.)

EG: I made this one a Flamvell for obvious reasons.

Flamvell High priest

D 200

Monster/Effect/DXYZ

Pyro/Fire

2 FIRE monsters with different names.

Once per turn, you can detach 1 DXYZ material from this card; add one FIRE monster with 200 def from your graveyard to your hand.

Rank 5

2) ASynchro/DSynchro, or Growth

Similar concept as the one above. I'm making these suggestions independent of each other, so I'm reusing A and D. If both were to be introduced, just remember, this A/D is different from the above A/D. This one is actually not that close to the synchro mechanic, as the sum can overshoot the required amount (A 5000 means the sum should be 5000 or more), and there are no tuners, which is why, Growth summoning is an alternative name. Example is a generic card.

Dragon that breaks things

A4000                                                                (Might seem like a lot, but is really not, when adding.)

Monster/Effect/Growth

Dragon/Dark

2+ monsters.

This card gains 1 level for every monster used to summon it. When this card is summoned, target one card on the field; destroy it. You can tribute this card, Dragon monsters cannot be destroyed until the end of this turn.

Originally, I wanted to just introduce the two mechanics above, but as I was typing, I thought of more and more mechanics, and I just had to add them.

3) Multiplication summon, or Axis

Axis cards are summoned by tributing cards whose levels multiply into a certain amount, like 9, 16, 30, 60

They work like normal synchros, but they have L instead of level.

Eg:

Emperor of the skull servants

L1                                                        (This essentially means 3 level 1 zombie monsters. I could have made this a rank 1 xyz...

Monster/Effect/Axis                                Well, it's the concept that matters, not the particular card.)

Zombie/Dark

3 zombie monsters 

This card's original attack is the combined number of skull servant and king of the skull servant in your graveyard X 1000. This card's name becomes king of the skull servants while it's in your graveyard. If this card sent to the graveyard by an opponent's card effect, you can banish one skull servant from your graveyard, special summon one king of the skull servants and the lady in wight from your hand or graveyard.

Atk ?

Def 0

4) Tribute summoning from the extra deck.

Fairly self explanatory, so I'll just give you an example. Same as regular effect monsters (Or normal ones. I won't judge.)

Eg:

Holiditis, the Angelic monarch

Level 6

Warrior/Light

Monster/Effect

(This card is placed in your extra deck instead of your main deck. This card can be normal summoned from the extra deck.)

When this card is tribute summoned, target one face up spell or trap card your opponent controls, destroy it.

Atk 2400

Def 1000

5)Trap pendulums

They work like regular pendulums, but they have to be set a turn in advance. However, they can pendulum summon during your opponent's turn. Otherwise, the same as regular pendulums. I'm not enclosing an example. Figure this one out on your own.

6)Half synchro, Half XYZ

These are half white, half black. Think pendulums, but sideways. Actually, think Monokuma. They have ranks, and are summoned by using an xyz tuner (Yes, you have to make those as well.) plus one or more non-tuner xyz monsters. They get all the xyz units attached to the original xyz monsters, but the monsters themselves are sent to the graveyard

For example, if you had utopia attached to ojama red and ojama blue (I know that's wrong. Just imagine otherwise.) and an xyz tuner, say, Ojama queen, attached to ojama black and ojama white (I know white doesn't exist. Just roll with what I'm saying.) and then synchro summoned a rank 6 synchro xyz monster, then it would now have red, blue, black, and white as xyz material, but not utopia or queen.

Ojama queen
Rank 2

Monster/Effect/XYZ/Tuner

Beast/Light

2 Level 2 monsters

Select up to one of your opponent's unused monster card zones. Those zones cannot be used. You can detach one xyz material from this card. Add an ojama card from your deck to your hand. This can include Ojamuscle.

Atk 0

Def 2000

Since Gaia is the name given to the most different kinds non-effect monsters, (Fierce knight, Dragon champion, Force of the earth, and now, the lightning shadow), and also because I was too lazy to think of an effect, I present to you

Gaia knight, black and white                          (XYZ is black and Synchro is white.)

Rank 6

Monster/Effect/Xyz/Synchro

Warrior/Earth

1 xyz-tuner + 1 or more non tuner xyz monsters

Atk 2600

Def 800

Yes, I copied force of the earth. Just focus on the concept, the concept.

I would do something with links, but they're just a bit too selective (Can't be in defense, don't have defense, no levels, etc.) About the only things I can think of are LXYZ, where you overlay 2 links with the same link rating, and linkro, where you add the ... Wait, that's just links... LXyz could work, but it'd be boring. I'm going to finish this off with two ways of stacking cards without them being XYZ cards.

7) Exquip spell cards.

They're like equip spell cards, but, you place them under the monster you equip them to. They don't count as xyz material, don't take up a spell/trap card zone, and cannot be targeted by MST or the like, but they work just like regular equip spells.

An example, support for the Isohedron archetype

Axe of greed

If the card exquipped to this card is destroyed by it's own effect, draw 2 cards.

8) Finally stack cards.

They're like XYZ, in that the cards placed under the cards don't really do anything unless specifically mentioned, but they don't go under XYZ cards. I could think of several examples, a LVL series, the vamperians (An archetype I'm still working on), etc, but then I'll have to give too many cards as examples, and there'll be lots of work to do, so I'll modify an existing archetype, well, series, Grand City of mirrors. I'm just editing one card, imagine the rest of the edits if you wish. Rest of the series here:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/368578-grand-city-of-mirrors-series/

Bulletproof coating

Field

While this card is on the field, it's name is treated as "Grand city of mirrors". You can only activate this card if you control a face up "Grand city of mirrors". If you do, stack it over the existing Grand City of Mirrors. This card gains the effects of all the cards stacked underneath it. While this card is face up on the field, mirror tokens gain 1000 atk and def. Mirror tokens cannot be destroyed by battle. You can discard this card, add one grand city of mirrors from your deck to your hand.

Just imagine different ways to use it by yourself. The sky's the limit. Suggest cards that might be made with these mechanics. Feel free to use them as you wish. I'll probably be using the Xyz synchro, trap pendulums, AXYZ, exquip and stack mechanics in the future. The other ones (Axis, normal summoning from the extra deck, Growth) are a bit iffy at this point. I also want to make a gemini archetype so good that it can actually be used. And the Isohedral crusaders. My semester finals are starting on friday and I have to update my weekly novel tomorrow. So little time, so much to do.

This is quite a post. Might as well give my opinion, then.

AXyz/DXyz

Strikes me as too complicated. Although the idea of Xyzing with another stat (How about Stat Summoning for a name? :thinking:) is something I have toyed around with, I feel you focus too much on making it flavourful rather than accessible. For example, I don't see why you would place the ATK/DEF amount where Rank would be, and then place the Rank as a number where the ATK/DEF would be. Yes, you are using it for combat, but if you have are using the Rank AND placing it on the card, it should probably be in the same consistent place. I would suggest you use something else for battling, rather than an established other mechanic.

Growth Summoning

If, this time, the ATK or DEF total is its actual ATK or DEF respectively, that's probably fine. With requirements, its actually a nice mechanic. Similar to Xyz, it doesn't really change any dynamic of the game (Synchro added Tuners, Fusions/Ritual added types of Spells, Pendulum added Zones and Links...did their thing) but it's a neat little alternate means of bringing out ED monsters. Wouldn't actually ever end up as a mechanic, but not hard to implement by itself.

Multiplication Summoning

Not calling this Synchro, as you're not using Tuners, and it's not really Synchro Summoning (Ultimaya is closer than this). Again, just another way to get out a monster from your ED. I like this a little more than Growth Summoning, because more MAFZ, but the fact that you're using Levels but not really tends to bug one's subconscious.

Tribute Summoning from the ED

Boo. It's just having a monster in the ED that you're opponent can't really deal with and doesn't have much preparation for. Unneeded. Of course, the Tributing mechanic might be able to be worked into something else, however you just have an effect monster you're Tribute Summoning. Boring :(

Trap Pendulums
Never actually thought about this before. Maybe Anti-Spell Fragrance can finally be gotten over in Pendulum Decks. A little too late for Konami to do it now (should've done it with Reiji), but man if this isn't cool. Also dunno how many cards refer to Pendulum Spell Cards, so might need some retroactive errata. How would you Pendulum Summon during your opponent's turn? I'm assuming it's something you could do when you had priority, but it seems a little weird. You could do an effect...but how would that work either? I'm not trying to say this is a bad idea, I'm just wanting to flesh it out.

Synchro/Xyz Monster

One of the better implementations of this concept I have seen. Still, their both inherent Summons that don't fiddle too much with mechanics, so I don't really see why something like this would be added/wanted other than "cool" factor. Not particularly interesting otherwise.

Exquip

I'm all for more stacking mechanics, but I'm not all for fully powercreeping Equip Spells. Yes, you need a pool of cards to actually challenge Equip's own, but said pool isn't that big, and most of them aren't great as it stands. Just to confirm, this is a Spell Card Type, correct?

Stack Cards

I'll admit, I'm not really following. The description says they are "cards placed under the [other] cards", and yet the example you give places itself on top? Could you explain this in more detail, please?

A few good idea here and there, and kudos for coming up with so many. Whether they are flawed or not, they're mostly original or original views on dream mechanics.

This is quite a post. Might as well give my opinion, then.

AXyz/DXyz

Strikes me as too complicated. Although the idea of Xyzing with another stat (How about Stat Summoning for a name? :thinking:) is something I have toyed around with, I feel you focus too much on making it flavourful rather than accessible. For example, I don't see why you would place the ATK/DEF amount where Rank would be, and then place the Rank as a number where the ATK/DEF would be. Yes, you are using it for combat, but if you have are using the Rank AND placing it on the card, it should probably be in the same consistent place. I would suggest you use something else for battling, rather than an established other mechanic.

Growth Summoning

If, this time, the ATK or DEF total is its actual ATK or DEF respectively, that's probably fine. With requirements, its actually a nice mechanic. Similar to Xyz, it doesn't really change any dynamic of the game (Synchro added Tuners, Fusions/Ritual added types of Spells, Pendulum added Zones and Links...did their thing) but it's a neat little alternate means of bringing out ED monsters. Wouldn't actually ever end up as a mechanic, but not hard to implement by itself.

Multiplication Summoning

Not calling this Synchro, as you're not using Tuners, and it's not really Synchro Summoning (Ultimaya is closer than this). Again, just another way to get out a monster from your ED. I like this a little more than Growth Summoning, because more MAFZ, but the fact that you're using Levels but not really tends to bug one's subconscious.

Tribute Summoning from the ED

Boo. It's just having a monster in the ED that you're opponent can't really deal with and doesn't have much preparation for. Unneeded. Of course, the Tributing mechanic might be able to be worked into something else, however you just have an effect monster you're Tribute Summoning. Boring :(

Trap Pendulums

Never actually thought about this before. Maybe Anti-Spell Fragrance can finally be gotten over in Pendulum Decks. A little too late for Konami to do it now (should've done it with Reiji), but man if this isn't cool. Also dunno how many cards refer to Pendulum Spell Cards, so might need some retroactive errata. How would you Pendulum Summon during your opponent's turn? I'm assuming it's something you could do when you had priority, but it seems a little weird. You could do an effect...but how would that work either? I'm not trying to say this is a bad idea, I'm just wanting to flesh it out.

Synchro/Xyz Monster

One of the better implementations of this concept I have seen. Still, their both inherent Summons that don't fiddle too much with mechanics, so I don't really see why something like this would be added/wanted other than "cool" factor. Not particularly interesting otherwise.

Exquip

I'm all for more stacking mechanics, but I'm not all for fully powercreeping Equip Spells. Yes, you need a pool of cards to actually challenge Equip's own, but said pool isn't that big, and most of them aren't great as it stands. Just to confirm, this is a Spell Card Type, correct?

Stack Cards

I'll admit, I'm not really following. The description says they are "cards placed under the [other] cards", and yet the example you give places itself on top? Could you explain this in more detail, please?

A few good idea here and there, and kudos for coming up with so many. Whether they are flawed or not, they're mostly original or original views on dream mechanics.

For AXYZ and growth, or stat summoning, like you said, I just thought it'd be interesting if we swapped the two numbers present on the card (Atk/def and Level) And Level is usually used in normal summoning limitations and special summoning mechanics, while atk/def is used for battle, so I wanted to swap them as a mechanic.

For Axis, I didn't think it'd be a viable concept. Someone could make it work, but the number of levels available to a deck in general, and the lack of generalization in prime factors is a large problem, and you couldn't really do anything with it that Synchro and XYZ couldn't do already. I just liked the concept. Growing on this a bit further though, what if a card's cost was something you could do in calculords, like

"To summon this card, you must tribute monsters, whose levels, when added, subtracted, or multiplied together in any order result in exactly 27." That would be a crazy summoning condition.

Of course, the normal summoning from the extra deck won't just be a regular monster. I just wanted to give an example as generic as possible. Realistically, it's a bit too convenient, as it's pretty much giving you an extra normal summon-able card in your hand in return for an extra deck space. I could make it work with a bit of effort, but contact fusions could do the same, and it's not really realistic. It's a bit like Axis in that sense.

For the trap pendulums, they work pretty much the same as spell pendulums. They have a trap card effect and a monster effect, and they take both the advantages and disadvantages of traps. They must be set before they can be used, but in return, they gain priority, both in the trap card effect and the pendulum summons. (Assuming both scales are traps. If there's one spell and one trap, you can still pendulum, just not during your opponent's turn.) Pendulum trap cards are considered pendulum cards and pendulum monster cards, but not pendulum spell cards. If there's a card referring specifically to pendulum spells or the spell effect of a pendulum card, it doesn't apply to pendulum traps. Rather than getting an errata, I think this'd just make those cards miss traps as a whole, like that one summoning mechanic card (Forgot the name) misses links. Actually, no, there are no cards referring to pendulum spells, at least not so in ygopro.

For XYZ Synchro, I do agree, it's got no real purpose, as a different mechanic, mostly there because it's awesome. It can be done though, and we could get some powerful cards with xyz synchro. Going a bit further, imagine an XYZ Synchro Spell Trap Pendulum. That card, needs no comment.

Exquip is a spell card type indeed. Let's just say that equip spells aren't that great right now. There's a few good ones, but the only ones who could really use equips in bulk in recent years were noble knights, and that was because of the sheer bulk of text on the equips. They were huge. Right now, equip spell cards largely fall under one of three categories, Useless (Or mildly useful), broken due to odd loops (Elma and premature burial, although, personally, I think even with their wierd loops, they've still been power crept quite a bit.), and those with massive amounts of text on them, like noble knight cards. There's also a few like saqlifice, which is currently limited, but that isn't used for equipping, but for card advantage, both the double tribute effect and the search effect. Exquip kinda goes around those problems. You can make small and meaningful effects, without leaving them prone to being bounced to the hand or looped, and without needing like 5 different effects to do so. I actually thought of them as a subset of equips, with exquip being the word for equipping the cards in this particular way. Some cards could do something fun with this mechanic, like:

Sword of peace

You can exquip this card(From your hand) to a face up warrior monster you control. If a warrior monster is tribute summoned while this card is in your graveyard, you can equip this card to that monster. This card has something something effect.

Which uses both equipping and exquipping on the same card.

Finally, stacking.

Imagine a stack, either a physical one, like a stack of books or a data structure. You can place cards on top of an already existing stack, that is called stacking. In some ways, this is like XYZ. In fact, XYZ is like a special case of stacking (Of course it's something completely different.).

Imagine you have card A

You stack Card B on top of card A

B is the main card, the only one which will have an effect, and will behave like a regular card

A might have an effect as well, but it's smaller than the one it'd have if it was on the top of the stack. Like that one card, with the picture of a chair, which had an effect while it was xyz material, Tellerknights used it. It's like that, but a lot more common.

If B is stacked on top of A and B is removed, via destruction, banish, etc, then A remains. Similar to how Xyz materials always go to the graveyard, no matter how the original card was removed.

Cards might use "Below it" or "Above it", which just means what you think it means. B is above A, A is below B.

Not really that confusing, I may have explained it in a confusing way before.

Overall, Stacking could do a lot of crazy things, and could be really fun if done right, but it'd need quite a bit of effort to make and use correctly. Exquip is a buff to equip, because I love equip spells, playing decks like the ben kai OTK and vylons, but realistically, they suck, and exquip cards, which are equip cards, give them a buff. XYZ pendulums and trap synchro are awesome, and probably the ones closest to actual Yugioh. Tribute from ED and Axis are probably Ideas to be scrapped, while I want to make either growth or Stat summoning work (Thank you for suggesting that name.), while it'd probably not. I'm currently working on Vamperians that use stacks and a few exquips, while I might make trap pendulums and XYZ Synchro another time.

For Axis, I didn't think it'd be a viable concept. Someone could make it work, but the number of levels available to a deck in general, and the lack of generalization in prime factors is a large problem, and you couldn't really do anything with it that Synchro and XYZ couldn't do already. I just liked the concept. Growing on this a bit further though, what if a card's cost was something you could do in calculords, like

"To summon this card, you must tribute monsters, whose levels, when added, subtracted, or multiplied together in any order result in exactly 27." That would be a crazy summoning condition.

I'm not saying you need to use Levels. I just wish that the "result" stated on the Axis Monster or w/e was a little more unique, such as a Link Number, or how Xyzs have Ranks.

Of course, the normal summoning from the extra deck won't just be a regular monster. I just wanted to give an example as generic as possible. Realistically, it's a bit too convenient, as it's pretty much giving you an extra normal summon-able card in your hand in return for an extra deck space. I could make it work with a bit of effort, but contact fusions could do the same, and it's not really realistic. It's a bit like Axis in that sense.

The mechanic itself is interesting enough, as if you have enough generic Level 5/6s they're basically 1 Mat monsters, assuming you still have a Normal Summon. I wonder how they would change the metagame...but as a Tribute lover, I wish they were just a little bit more unique.

For the trap pendulums, they work pretty much the same as spell pendulums. They have a trap card effect and a monster effect, and they take both the advantages and disadvantages of traps. They must be set before they can be used, but in return, they gain priority, both in the trap card effect and the pendulum summons. (Assuming both scales are traps. If there's one spell and one trap, you can still pendulum, just not during your opponent's turn.) Pendulum trap cards are considered pendulum cards and pendulum monster cards, but not pendulum spell cards. If there's a card referring specifically to pendulum spells or the spell effect of a pendulum card, it doesn't apply to pendulum traps. Rather than getting an errata, I think this'd just make those cards miss traps as a whole, like that one summoning mechanic card (Forgot the name) misses links. Actually, no, there are no cards referring to pendulum spells, at least not so in ygopro.

How does Pendulum Summoning work during your opponent's turn? Can I do it whenever I have priority? And, expanding the Trap idea further, could I Pend Summon during my turn at any point I had priority?

Exquip is a spell card type indeed. Let's just say that equip spells aren't that great right now. There's a few good ones, but the only ones who could really use equips in bulk in recent years were noble knights, and that was because of the sheer bulk of text on the equips. They were huge. Right now, equip spell cards largely fall under one of three categories, Useless (Or mildly useful), broken due to odd loops (Elma and premature burial, although, personally, I think even with their wierd loops, they've still been power crept quite a bit.), and those with massive amounts of text on them, like noble knight cards. There's also a few like saqlifice, which is currently limited, but that isn't used for equipping, but for card advantage, both the double tribute effect and the search effect. Exquip kinda goes around those problems. You can make small and meaningful effects, without leaving them prone to being bounced to the hand or looped, and without needing like 5 different effects to do so. I actually thought of them as a subset of equips, with exquip being the word for equipping the cards in this particular way. Some cards could do something fun with this mechanic, like:

I have no problem with Exquipping. I just have a problem with cards being completely creeped. Yes, it's inevitable with specific cards, series, or even archetypes, but this is potentially overshadowing a whole Type of Spell Card.

Finally, stacking.

Imagine a stack, either a physical one, like a stack of books or a data structure. You can place cards on top of an already existing stack, that is called stacking. In some ways, this is like XYZ. In fact, XYZ is like a special case of stacking (Of course it's something completely different.).

Imagine you have card A

You stack Card B on top of card A

B is the main card, the only one which will have an effect, and will behave like a regular card

A might have an effect as well, but it's smaller than the one it'd have if it was on the top of the stack. Like that one card, with the picture of a chair, which had an effect while it was xyz material, Tellerknights used it. It's like that, but a lot more common.

If B is stacked on top of A and B is removed, via destruction, banish, etc, then A remains. Similar to how Xyz materials always go to the graveyard, no matter how the original card was removed.

Cards might use "Below it" or "Above it", which just means what you think it means. B is above A, A is below B.

Not really that confusing, I may have explained it in a confusing way before.

Overall, Stacking could do a lot of crazy things, and could be really fun if done right, but it'd need quite a bit of effort to make and use correctly. Exquip is a buff to equip, because I love equip spells, playing decks like the ben kai OTK and vylons, but realistically, they suck, and exquip cards, which are equip cards, give them a buff. XYZ pendulums and trap synchro are awesome, and probably the ones closest to actual Yugioh. Tribute from ED and Axis are probably Ideas to be scrapped, while I want to make either growth or Stat summoning work (Thank you for suggesting that name.), while it'd probably not. I'm currently working on Vamperians that use stacks and a few exquips, while I might make trap pendulums and XYZ Synchro another time.

Sounds good. Stacking always felt like a one time thing, but maybe it doesn't have to be that way. I'll keep an eye out for your set.

Archived