Shooting Quasar Dragon [COMPARISON]

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did we get screwed over by the IRL release?

• Nah, the real thing is good enough.
    • GIMME GIMME GIMME THAT ANIME EFFECT
    • Doesn't matter either way.

It's time for our end-of-month Anime/IRL Card Comparison thread, this time focusing on fan-favorite superboss of its entire Summoning mechanic, Shooting Quasar Dragon!

Shooting Quasar Dragon [ANIME]

LIGHT - Level 12 - Dragon/Synchro/Effect - 4000/4000

1 Synchro Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner Synchro monsters

This card can attack as many times as the number of Synchro Monsters used as Material. When this card attacks, you can negate the activation and effect of 1 card effect on the field until the end of the Battle Phase. In addition, negate any effect damage. This card is unaffected by your opponent's monster effects. When this card is removed from the field, destroy all monsters on the field and Special Summon 1 "Shooting Star Dragon" from your Extra Deck. This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.

Shooting Quasar Dragon [TCG/OCG]

LIGHT - Level 12 - Dragon/Synchro/Effect - 4000/4000

Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Summoned by other ways. This card's maximum number of attacks per Battle Phase is equal to the number of non-Tuner monsters used as Synchro Material. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. When this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Shooting Star Dragon" from your Extra Deck.

So, what's the damage, in YCM's opinion? In mine, while the effect negation every time it attacked in the anime version was definitely a useful feature, the IRL version invented the "Quasar clause", a staple of boss monsters. Also, the anime version carries monster effect immunity, negates effect damage, and field-nukes on exit, so . . . honestly, it has a lot of interesting utility.

Honestly, I'd prefer the negation over the immunity and nuke.

Anime effect still gets ruined by Kaiju, whereas the actual one messes up their sequencing at the very least.

Also, I'm gonna take a moment to say that quasar feels so bad now. Blazar is more resilient, and there are cards almost as strong that are incredibly easy to summon, such as Vortex. I honestly think the multiple attacks is the only thing quasar has going for it, since its text box essentially says "you are winning this turn" but it can't attack if you go first, and going second would be a nightmare to summon it through disruption.

I think the sequence of floating was kind of half-assed. Quasar should have floated into Blazar, and Blazar into Shooting Star, since that's the chain of Yusei's evolution, even if Yusei skipped Blazar's step.

For the anime one: You don't have to negate what you battle with, but any card every time it battles, and it permanently doesn't need to worry about monster effects affecting it. It keeps the multi-attack effect. Though, on IRL Quasar's defense, he can actually negate out of the battle phase and doesn't nuke you, and typically you don't need much else.

Err... I think the anime version existing IRL would have its merits, and I personally like it a little bit better, but not much.

Remember when Quasar was deemed the example of a hard to get boss that had a very powerful effect worth it? Almost like a perfect god card of sorts... Now Vortex Dragon, CyDra Infinity, Toadally Awesome, etc have the same negate and extra removal, coupled with easier Summon conditions....

It's a 4K body with effect damage negation and monster effect immunity that nukes on exit. I'd say that being able to revive it is actually pretty significant, if only for being such a pain in the ass to actually deal with for most Decks (because most people aren't 'zoics, and rely on their monsters to actually get rid of other monsters most of the time).

It's a 4K body with effect damage negation and monster effect immunity that nukes on exit. I'd say that being able to revive it is actually pretty significant, if only for being such a pain in the ass to actually deal with for most Decks (because most people aren't 'zoics, and rely on their monsters to actually get rid of other monsters most of the time).

On the other hand, remember that reviving doesn't use materials. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it can't attack.

It's not a deal breaker IMO, but it's something to keep in mind.

TCG effect is better. It's a walking OTK even with one less attack, the nuke is irrelevant, and the negation is better than monster effect immunity. One could even make an argument that it warranted list attention at one point, but that was because almost every crazy OTK of the time involved it. I don't think this card was ever the actual problem.

I hate the trend it started though, where you have to -32 yourself to take out a boss monster that floats and the process of summoning it was actually a +10 because the support was explicitly designed around doing so.

(although I guess the trend technically started with LaDD, but it didn't truly take off until this card came around, and you didn't plus in the process of summoning LaDD)

Archived