Duel Links Choices

I've been wondering for a while but, what do you think of Duel Links as a whole?
From what I've heard, it is successful enough almost to the degree of relegating the IRL game to a second plane.

The app has a few interesting choices:

-The field is smaller, so there is a smaller natural cap for over-extension and removal cards like Lightning Vortex can only be a +1 at best.

-It eliminates Main Phase 2, making subpar cards like Malevolent Catastrophe more live and threatening, and in a way increases the importance of you wanting to set something or not, without the safety net of "I'll just do it in MP2".

-It Halves the minimum deck size, which I'm not a big fan of, but for the mean time that increases the potential consistency of everything to an at the very least acceptable degree without having to give us lots of search and draw cards. Most old timey decks used never saw better days to be tried out.

-It operates on its own format, which allows it to customize mixes between old and new cards that allow certain interactions to shine in a way that the IRL game can't, and well.... it's sort of rotation, based.

-On the downside, the Extra Deck is almost non-existent there, and you can't exactly choose your fav gen of the game to play at, since right now it is moving from DM to GX, in general, but guess that's what Dueling Book would be for. Cough*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

More so, the power, speed and complexity ceilings of Duel Links are considerably lower than IRL Yugioh, and so I wanna hear people opinions. Be it that you have the app or just know about it.

if possible, how do you weight it against IRL Yugioh? current state? This is more of a bonus note.

Given the failures of Yugioh BAM/pocket BAM and Yugioh Duel Arena (both of which I'd invested over a hundred dollars in rip me), as well as the failure of Yugioh Online before that (which I had the good sense not to involve myself in phew), I'm surprised Duel Links is doing so well. I do think it's a dumbed down version of the game, but it's also a lot more than that. It's a good way for players to get into Yugioh as well as providing a nostalgia trip for people who played during simpler times before the advent of Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum/Link mechanics that were all met with backlash. 

It's also something for people to do while on their smartphones that somewhat resembles Yugioh, and further immerses them into Yugioh regardless of their relationship with the actual card game. I don't play Duel Links myself because I don't have a smartphone, but it's good for Yugioh, Konami, and the playerbase as a whole so I'm pretty happy with its existence and every now and then I'll watch gameplay and read articles to get a sense of where it's at. 

I downloaded it today, and I've got to say, this is the most I've used an app game since The Battle Cats (which was months, even years ago). Unless the YGOPro app counts.

It may be much simpler than the current Yugioh Card Game, but it's fun enough to keep me invested. Also, hearing so much of the cast from the dubbed anime (Dan Green and Eric Stuart for example) brings a lot of nostalgia.

Plus, despite the Extra Deck not going past Fusion monsters, I like how they do have a lot of cards from later generations (Gishki and the new Red-Eyes cards to name a few).

It's also something for people to do while on their smartphones that somewhat resembles Yugioh, and further immerses them into Yugioh regardless of their relationship with the actual card game. I don't play Duel Links myself because I don't have a smartphone, but it's good for Yugioh, Konami, and the playerbase as a whole so I'm pretty happy with its existence and every now and then I'll watch gameplay and read articles to get a sense of where it's at. 

The game is also on Steam.

I been playing it since it came out in the US its very addicting  and more interesting then irl yugioh. Yhough its slowly starting to become as cancerous as the rl yugioh. Pros and cons of DL and the DL tier list.

Pros:

Gives older decks a chance that where never meta like Cyber Angels (No Herald does not count in my opinion),Toons (Though cancerous with Kingdom),Red-Eyes, Ninjas etc

Nostalgia

Different then rl yugioh and the skills make it uniquest 

Cons:

Requires alot of grinding of certain characters for cards or grind pvp for cards. Example being the best deck Cyber Angels 90% of the deck requires you to grind against Alexis and level her up.

Box Sets come out every month. 

Most decks can be very expensive in DL compared irl yugioh. Usually $500 or more and the sales are meh.  

Burn and FTK (WTF was Konami thinking releasing Ojama King and Into The Void with Cyber Stein existing) are very cancerous deck in DL then irl yugioh.  

Going first sucks unless you play Ninjas, Burn, FTK, or a backrow heavy deck. Example being in the CA mirror match you have a higher chance of losing unless you open up with enemy controller, main deck another form of backrow, or the op bricks.

Very lacking in backrow removal.

Tier List 

Tier 1

Cyber Angels 

Ninjas

Tier 2 

Gladiator Beast

Red-Eyes Zombie

Tier 3 

Ancient Gears

Burn

Hazy Flame

Rogue

Cyber Stein 

Horus 

Mill 

Phoenix 

Relinquished  

Duel Links is the only thing keeping me into Yu-Gi-Oh! these days, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I've posted some of my older decks in the other sections before just to see how they would stack up against actual decks.  My favorite part of it is that it has it's own flow, it's own meta.  You're not behind the times if you've played from the beginning.  You can keep up with the meta, fresh, instead of a 10 year gap where you missed out on XYZ, Kaiju, and [insert archetype here].

Sure, micro-transactions suck all around, but in Duel Link's case, you'd have to buy card packs anyways.  Not to mention it's not super gacha, since you're guaranteed all the cards in each box.  

AND ABILITIES!  I ALMOST FORGOT!  Abilities add a whole other dimension of game play on top of regular Yu-Gi-Oh.  It's another thing you have to play around, and everyone has equal access, granted if you're lucky, to them all.

The game seems to be how the game should've worked in the first place given that the speed of the game was a lot slower and getting 5 monsters on board was next to impossible, but with the amount of speed and depth the game has gained the board is around the size it should be. 

I think of it as a different game entirely. Mechanically speaking, it's better. As for which is more fun, Yugioh if you know everything already. Duel Links is more of a Yugioh Lite that should probably be seen as Konami's way of giving people not familiar with the game a gateway, which I think overall is a good thing for the game to aspire to be.

I have heard that the power creep has been steamrolling, so I don't think putting money into it is worth it. I don't believe it's all that pay to win because of how packs work (strange how Konami made a healthier version of the usual pack/loot crate system).

Archived