The RP: Roleplaying Pow-wow

BANZAI!!!!

Ok so, the only thing that's really keeping me from setting this up (other than not knowing how to actually make a sub-forum) is whether or not we should appoint users to be on call and assist in the workshop, or keep it more loose, insofar that anyone can ask for help and anyone can offer assistance. Not sure what would be more productive.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's try the former to start it off (I volunteer btw), and if questions end up taking too long for people to get back to (not likely even if it's just me CowCow and one other guy, assuming he'd want to help (can't see why he wouldn't)), we can switch to the latter. Alternatively, set a fairly loose criteria (i.e. you've participated in at least five RPs and you can get some people to vouch for you) for a middle ground, though you'd have to figure out those criteria and run them by the section.

Ok so, the only thing that's really keeping me from setting this up (other than not knowing how to actually make a sub-forum) is whether or not we should appoint users to be on call and assist in the workshop, or keep it more loose, insofar that anyone can ask for help and anyone can offer assistance. Not sure what would be more productive.

WXfuedi.gif

Oh RIP refreshed the page and Yui had me ninja'd. Anywho, I support the middle ground idea.

I think, as a compromise, I’m going to ask for volunteers to help with the new section. No limits on how many we have, so long as the people are willing to stay active and give advice.

I’ll have a rules thread draft for the new section soon-ish, but I also need to learn how to make a subforum, so this process might take a little while.

I’m not really in favor of this, because it might take activity away from RP proper and it doesn’t really help people improve. AC exists for a reason and 4 lines has never been super difficult. But this is a discussion for the pow-wow I think,

I disagree. Most of the activity in RP atm is due to RPs that have lasted a decent amount of time and people aren't going to just leave those. And I'll be honest...I don't really mind people not improving, if they don't want to. I don't like limiting options and I think that if enough people just want to mess around with more simple/quick RPs this could be a good way to do it.

It's not about difficulty it's about letting things go faster by allowing people to just respond to people. 100 words is easy but it also can feel really awkward when a post is mostly fluff just to answer a question or introduce yourself.

I disagree. Most of the activity in RP atm is due to RPs that have lasted a decent amount of time and people aren't going to just leave those. And I'll be honest...I don't really mind people not improving, if they don't want to. I don't like limiting options and I think that if enough people just want to mess around with more simple/quick RPs this could be a good way to do it.

It's not about difficulty it's about letting things go faster by allowing people to just respond to people. 100 words is easy but it also can feel really awkward when a post is mostly fluff just to answer a question or introduce yourself.

I was here before we had AC in place, and then when there were “casual” and “advanced rps”. It was a spamfest and all that it did was clog the section and make it more difficult for people to keep quality rp’s running. Casual rps were basically in-character versions of the misc section, and that novelty of that wore off very quickly.

I think having to fluff a post is the lesser of two evils when compared to allowing for in-character shitposting.

As for RPs that are designed to be short-term (not short-post), I think that’s a good idea. Its really just on the host to plan an rp that way.

I was here before we had AC in place, and then when there were “casual” and “advanced rps”. It was a spamfest and all that it did was clog the section and make it more difficult for people to keep quality rp’s running. Casual rps were basically in-character versions of the misc section, and that novelty of that wore off very quickly.

I think having to fluff a post is the lesser of two evils when compared to allowing for in-character shitposting.

As for RPs that are designed to be short-term (not short-post), I think that’s a good idea. Its really just on the host to plan an rp that way.

Maybe you guys just sucked back then

Would it not be a sub section? And there could be various levels of seriousness depending on the RP. Course this would only matter if people wanted to try these.

At some point I considered making an RP FOR Misc but that would be a bit TOO unstructured.

Just felt that it was possible some people were intimidated by some of our RP posts especially these days. I don't want to leave people out because they are intimidated by several hundred-thousand word posts.

Though since no one has said anything I am not too concerned about it not being a thing, wanted to get it out there in case people were interested mostly.

And I actually don't think short-term RPs would work super well for the record. Cherry Heart is a great example. It's an RP filled with short-term side RPs in a sense. However those can take months to complete even so, and I'm unsure people would be motivated if those were the only thing they'll be doing. imo Cherry Heart is the best way to work short-term but even that sometimes doesn't go super well.

Maybe you guys just sucked back then

Would it not be a sub section? And there could be various levels of seriousness depending on the RP. Course this would only matter if people wanted to try these.

At some point I considered making an RP FOR Misc but that would be a bit TOO unstructured.

Just felt that it was possible some people were intimidated by some of our RP posts especially these days. I don't want to leave people out because they are intimidated by several hundred-thousand word posts.

Though since no one has said anything I am not too concerned about it not being a thing, wanted to get it out there in case people were interested mostly.

And I actually don't think short-term RPs would work super well for the record. Cherry Heart is a great example. It's an RP filled with short-term side RPs in a sense. However those can take months to complete even so, and I'm unsure people would be motivated if those were the only thing they'll be doing. imo Cherry Heart is the best way to work short-term but even that sometimes doesn't go super well.

We did suck back then. Umbra was the hero we needed, not the hero we deserved.

A few months to completion is a lot better than years and years to completion. I don’t think that we’ll ever really get a much faster pace than that on YCM, just because of the community and the schedules we like to keep.

And we did have casual and advanced split for awhile, but even then casual was a shithole that needed tons of moderation due to spam and toxic people. It really was just a bad situation all around from what I can remember.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived