[DPR] An Equip Spell for Flip Monsters (because reasons)

Eshai

Rising Shield

Spell - Equip

Target 1 face-up Attack Position or face-down Defense Position monster you control; change it to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, equip this card to that target. The equipped monster gains 500 DEF, and can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply it's DEF for damage calculations. If this card would be destroyed because the equipped monster was changed to face-down Defense Position, you can add this card to your hand instead of sending it to the GY. You can only activate 1 "Rising Shield" per turn. 

Premature Burial can do a thing before Equipping to its target, so why can’t anything else? For here I’m giving you the ability of speeding up Flip Decks… at the cost of running a Equip Spell. TRAGIC. Now the card is solid for anything. There have been some high DEF monsters you can exploit with this, like a 2600 DEF Pendulum monster, which can become 3400 DEF and be able to attack. This could lead to some more DEF oriented Decks a bit more speed and power.

The only weakness is that it doesn’t work on Defense Position monsters, but it’s not all that often that you end up in a position where that matters. There’s also the fact that this is for the most part nothing in terms of real protection, so really it’s just a inverse Book of Moon with a bonus.

Another Equip. Equips are pretty interesting since they can do a lot… if Konami made Equips that would something more than stat boosts and a bit of protection. In the DPR where you don’t have access to all these generics, there will be quite a few Equips just so they’re there. Comments?

There are many things to like about this card. Its activate for FLIP monsters is one thing, and the DEF boost for your mostly defensive other cards is another. The attacking bit was not something I was expecting, but it fits with the theme. Also, ITS AN EQUIP HOORAY THEY MIGHT NOT BE DEAD. No denying that it has a little utility.

Unfortunately, I do think it falls short of play. One thing that immediately comes to mind is the fact that if the monster is flipped face-down again (as most FLIP decks tend to do) it goes bye bye. Suggestion! Make it return to the hand if this is the case! "When this card is sent to the GY because the equipped monster was changed to face-down Defense Position: Return this card to the hand during the End Phase of this turn." End Phase as if you didn't have another restriction, such as HOPT, you could repeatedly Equip this card to the same monster. This would grant the card more utility than a one time thing (sorry just fantasizing about Prediction Princesses)

Another means to buff it could be to allow it to be Equipped to your opponent's monster, but that might make a bit too generic and splashable. Oh, I know! Allow it only to be equipped if you control a Flip monster, or something similar.

Equip and Flips do have it rough :(

Unfortunately, I do think it falls short of play. One thing that immediately comes to mind is the fact that if the monster is flipped face-down again (as most FLIP decks tend to do) it goes bye bye. Suggestion! Make it return to the hand if this is the case! "When this card is sent to the GY because the equipped monster was changed to face-down Defense Position: Return this card to the hand during the End Phase of this turn.

I really like that idea. However if I do that, I feel the card would be a bit too powerful, so I'm going to reduce the DEF buff to 500. I feel cards that can return to the hand like this should be able to cap at that kind of stat. HOPT seems good enough, but should it be a HOPT for the activation of the card or the return to hand effect? We'll see. For now I'll do what I think is good for the card.

Archived